Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Drone posted:

Works totally fine for me right out of the box.. are you using the most-patched version?

Works good at 800x600 fullscreen, but any of the higher resolutions throw an error message, and anything in windowed mode is scrunched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Nenonen posted:

The funny thing is that you can do this and just need to learn how to, it's been possible since the original SP. You can do two things:

1) disable specific weapons by clicking them in the unit screen, for example disable a squad's RPG when you want to preserve it - this also works for reaction fire eg. if you don't want an AT unit to open fire with rifles so they remain hidden, while still engaging armour units that show up.

2) select a target (T) and then use just one weapon (eg. the main gun or the coax mg) against it (I think it's C or something, use the help feature).

I meant it more automatically. Like, be able to set something so *all* infantry squads don't fire carbines at MBTs. If I have 30 of them it's a pain and a half to manage manually.

Or I just wish that I didn't have to tell them that at all because what possible reason would I *want* them to? Some sort of basic target selection AI.

But I guess its part of the genre and stuff...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrYenko posted:

Works good at 800x600 fullscreen, but any of the higher resolutions throw an error message, and anything in windowed mode is scrunched.

Scratch that. 1600x1200 doesnt work, but after a restart, all the others do.

Grog games.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Or I just wish that I didn't have to tell them that at all because what possible reason would I *want* them to? Some sort of basic target selection AI.

To button the enemy tank up and to suppress them a little. Of course, with modern vehicles the importance of that is diminished, but it makes some sense in WW2 setting at least...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alikchi posted:

Challenge is up, Operation Uranus (short), password lljk. All default settings except Germans have Flieger divisions. I'm Soviets (I think).

e: Also, the last time we played a DC game together you utterly destroyed me, so I look forward to the 6th Army holding Stalingrad!

Nothing quite like loading up the scenario and seeing first panzer army all the way down in the Caucasus being completely useless.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Order of Battle: Pacific Trip Report

So I'm most of the way through the campaign and while I love the game, and am completely addicted to its gameplay as evidenced by my lack of sleep, I am disappointed in its brevity.

In total, there are about 30 missions in the game if you add the tutorial and both faction campaigns together. The amount of time you end up putting into it certainly gives you value for your hard earned :10bux: but there are some issues that come up.

Because the campaign is short, especially compared to Panzer Corps lengthy grand campaign, none of your units ever truly get a lot of experience. Not to mention that there usually aren't enough forces or missions to allow you to recuperate prestige (or build up enough) to keep them healthy.

That being said, prestige needs to be used to its fullest. Levels are varied, and that's great, but the variety itself can cause some major issues. Since you're generally going to want to supplement the pre-deployed, non-core units by as large a force as possible, you'll want to buy a lot of units. As you would expect, the good ones cost a lot. Like... a lot! A carrier, for example, and the 3 aircraft it can carry could cost you half your prestige supply (if you don't make any special efforts to save as much as possible).

And when it comes to core units, there's another problem. The campaign jumps around with its dates, and will give you handy little messages letting you know which new units can now be purchased or upgraded to. The issue with this is that you soon find your entire core force out of date and/or obsolete. This doesn't include the entirely new units that fill niche roles that you can never truly justify due to their limited use and prestige cost.

Lastly, I really liked the "Commander" / "Hero" change, where you are now limited to only 1 unique character boosting an individual units abilities but it is underused to a point where I sometimes forget it exists which is a shame because the way it was implemented - via rewards from bonus objectives - helped reward players and gave you an incentive to do more than the bare bones requirements.

Despite all this, I am still infatuated with the game. The gameplay is very tight and streamlined, with missions that are incredibly varied and very well designed. Units look and feel very different and the UI is great. The enemy and friendly AI are smart enough to prioritize targets, focus units or heal up on their own. The catalogue of units is surprisingly large and includes a lot of things you'd expect, as well as pleasant surprises like the M3 Satan.

I guess what I'm trying to say is buy this game. You won't regret it. Hopefully they will bring in Grand Campaigns for both the Allies and Japanese, but I wouldn't be surprised if some users built them from the ground up with the editor.

(As an aside, I should mention I've been playing on difficulty 3 which I believe is normal. Also, in my entire time playing I've only encountered 1 bug which was very quickly resolved by their tech support.)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lichtenstein posted:

I like modern, because when playing NATO-vs-third-world style scenarios, I can actually aim for a no/minimum casualty run, which pleases my OCD. I care for my little plastic armymen. :unsmith:

I also feel like someone should make a more abstracted game embracing the focus on concealment and communication. Basically a non-horrible Naval War: Arctic Circle. Or a better RUSE I guess.

Hello, twin.

Also, I'm starting to dig Graviteam Tactics now. This Operations/campaign system is actually cool as gently caress. I really wish that Wargame (Eugen's series) had taken note and employed similar unit compositions etc.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Hello, twin.

Also, I'm starting to dig Graviteam Tactics now. This Operations/campaign system is actually cool as gently caress. I really wish that Wargame (Eugen's series) had taken note and employed similar unit compositions etc.

Fun fact, there's no restriction on who faces who in quick battle mode.

Meaning the hilarious matchup of 1980s Iran vs. 1942 Germany is possible.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Got ZIS-3's from WWII eating my Ratels for lunch in Operation Hooper :( Is the best way to deal with such enemy positions armor/mortar/air support? The Ratels arent even returning fire at the loving thing, and are just being sniped by a loving WWII artillery field gun!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dandywalken posted:

Got ZIS-3's from WWII eating my Ratels for lunch in Operation Hooper :( Is the best way to deal with such enemy positions armor/mortar/air support? The Ratels arent even returning fire at the loving thing, and are just being sniped by a loving WWII artillery field gun!

I have no clue what game you're talking about, but Ratel's aren't that well armored and ZIS-3's would never have trouble taking them out. Best bet would be to use armor, artillery, and/or air support

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
How do I not get my poo poo rocked in Graviteam? The best I've done so far is where I thought I'd set up an entrenched line around the enemy deployment to only find them on some flank where they met my BTRs (I lost that engagement, but they offered a ceasefire).

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Been playing the remake of Close Combat III and really enjoying it. The only bad thing is the price, which is a bit crazy for what is basically a 1990s game, but relieved to see that pretty much all grognard games are like that. Been thinking I might splurge on the Battle of the Bulge remake down the line and possibly Gateway to Caen, but thought I would post here for suggestions of games similar to the CC series. I was also a fan of Panzer General back in the day (I know there's the remake), and played the second Hearts of Iron game a lot back in the day. I don't mind turn-based hex games, but I'm not a fan of NATO counters (I prefer sprites, I know I'm lame) and I have a slight preference for real-time as long as it's fairly realistic (like CC's use of squads, rather than one tank representing an entire division).

I have OS X 10.9.5 as well as Windows 7 running via Bootcamp. My laptop is old as Methuselah. 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4 GB memory, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eskaton posted:

How do I not get my poo poo rocked in Graviteam? The best I've done so far is where I thought I'd set up an entrenched line around the enemy deployment to only find them on some flank where they met my BTRs (I lost that engagement, but they offered a ceasefire).

Set all settings to arcade, and if anyone asks you just shout "THE UI IS SHITTTTT!" at em like I do.

When the AI ceasefires, let em IMO. I'm on turn 7 of the Soviet/Iran campaign and currently about to get hit by a big ol' group of what looks like 24+ M60A1's. Going to try and flank super wide when they start moving and hope to god I can open up from the rear versus them for a few volleys. Wish I had a few more Hinds or Su25's, but nope. Only two Hinds so far :(

Air support is also super effective when you get it (which is pretty rare). Especially the Impala in the South African campaign, that thing kicks rear end. Bombs, then cannons, then rockets.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 13, 2015

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Which explains why their modern campaigns had a weird Iran vs USSR one to shoehorn in M60A1s vs. T62s.

Do the devs know the Iranians were fiercely opposed to the Mujaheddin?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Fun fact, there's no restriction on who faces who in quick battle mode.

Meaning the hilarious matchup of 1980s Iran vs. 1942 Germany is possible.

At least the Aryans win.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Panama Red posted:

Been playing the remake of Close Combat III and really enjoying it. The only bad thing is the price, which is a bit crazy for what is basically a 1990s game, but relieved to see that pretty much all grognard games are like that. Been thinking I might splurge on the Battle of the Bulge remake down the line and possibly Gateway to Caen, but thought I would post here for suggestions of games similar to the CC series. I was also a fan of Panzer General back in the day (I know there's the remake), and played the second Hearts of Iron game a lot back in the day. I don't mind turn-based hex games, but I'm not a fan of NATO counters (I prefer sprites, I know I'm lame) and I have a slight preference for real-time as long as it's fairly realistic (like CC's use of squads, rather than one tank representing an entire division).

I have OS X 10.9.5 as well as Windows 7 running via Bootcamp. My laptop is old as Methuselah. 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4 GB memory, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB.

If you're into WWII real time tactical battles you should really check out the Combat Mission games - just pick the theatre that interests you most (Normandy, Italy or Eastern Front). They have demos at the Battlefront site so you can try them to see if they run on your rig.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
For those worried about the large numbers of units in Red Thunder, note that there's a lot of really good quality scenarios (Blockbusting in Bobriusk was really fun) which work on a smaller scale. Also Soviet Doctrine(tm) means that moving all the units in one HQ is a good way of keeping the amount of clicking down, and tends to be effective.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
For those worried about the larger numbers in Red Thunder, note that the game doesn't make you control individual soldiers. They move as a squad so one unit is 12 dudes. Splitting them causes more obviously, but it's never a huge issue due to Russian squad sizes. The main problem is that beyond a company v. company engagement the game doesn't play well. Even then it starts getting a little thin around the edges. It's mostly suited to close, tactical engagements.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

V for Vegas posted:

If you're into WWII real time tactical battles you should really check out the Combat Mission games - just pick the theatre that interests you most (Normandy, Italy or Eastern Front). They have demos at the Battlefront site so you can try them to see if they run on your rig.

Thanks! I'm a big Eastern Front nerd and a bit of a Slavophile, so I'll be sure to check out Barbarossa to Berlin as well as Black Sea.

Also, Grey Hunter's and uPen's LPs make me interested in War in the East, even though that's hardcore grog (and also very :20bux: )

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Black Sea is modern day but I'm sure you know that with your East Bloc fetish, and B to B is the OLD one and it's still good but it lacks a billion quality of life features. That said, $10 on GoG vs. $80 on Battlefront...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

maev posted:

Also Soviet Doctrine(tm) means that moving all the units in one HQ is a good way of keeping the amount of clicking down, and tends to be effective.
You can just issue orders to entire HQs to move all the units under them? When did this happen?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Black Sea is modern day but I'm sure you know that with your East Bloc fetish, and B to B is the OLD one and it's still good but it lacks a billion quality of life features. That said, $10 on GoG vs. $80 on Battlefront...
GOG has Combat Mission Beyond Overlord, which is the very first one. Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin I still had to buy from BattleFront

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

gradenko_2000 posted:

You can just issue orders to entire HQs to move all the units under them? When did this happen?

It has always been there, it just works better in 3.0. Double click any HQ unit and it will select all subordinate units. If you give an order with multiple units selected that order will be given to all selected units with the same "vector" from the primary selected unit (the one that is flashing). So for example if you have your platoon spread out in formation, and you want them all to hunt forward, double click the platoon HQ then give the HQ a hunt order however far forward, and you will see the same order translated to all the squads and support teams.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

One to keep an eye on: http://www.slitherine.com/games/shvp_PC

It seems like Matrix/Slitherine might be on the verge of publishing an honest-to-god interesting game with an interface from the 21st Century.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

One to keep an eye on: http://www.slitherine.com/games/shvp_PC

It seems like Matrix/Slitherine might be on the verge of publishing an honest-to-god interesting game with an interface from the 21st Century.

Unassuming space pilot engages in some radio chatter before being destroyed by invading aliens: just another MOO2 standard aped endlessly by the 4x genre ever since.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

gradenko_2000 posted:

Unassuming space pilot engages in some radio chatter before being destroyed by invading aliens: just another MOO2 standard aped endlessly by the 4x genre ever since.

Don't forget this guy, although I guess he's not unassuming.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Screenshots at the bottom. It's not a 4x, it's a tactical space game.

PS. Alchiki I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right in our game and I have no idea how I can possibly win. Being on the receiving end of a Soviet Operation is scary.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 14, 2015

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Alchenar posted:

Screenshots at the bottom. It's not a 4x, it's a tactical space game.

PS. Alchiki I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right in our game and I have no idea how I can possibly win. Being on the receiving end of a Soviet Operation is scary.

Yeah I'm not actually very good at the DC games (I'm pretty sloppy about stuff like bringing up artillery and bridging units, using my cards etc) but focusing on the Romanians and Italians is making this a cakewalk. I imagine things will get more interesting when you receive Manstein & his reinforcements.

edit: It'd be cool to play this scenario with all the High Command objectives and malarkey turned off so the Axis can retreat from turn 1 if they choose. Call it a "Hitler Assassinated" variant.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Alikchi posted:

God bless you. I was about to link that after reading the comment myself.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Alikchi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUniYFNg4vs

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Uninstalled the gently caress out of Graviteam Tactics.

Had a full South African motorized group, two of em. 60 or so dudes I think? or maybe 40.

Were ambushing 2 T55's that rolled in the night oblivious to the group behind a dune, waiting for the tanks to clear it so they could fire.

Had Ratel 20mm's and 90mm's. LRAC's as RPG's. Range was <100 meters, it was going to be great.

When the moment came, only one guy fired his LRAC and it missed. The T-55's then gunned down the entire rest of the motorized group of infantry, who had all for some reason failed to fire. None of the Ratels even tried to fire, including the 90mm's.

Afterwards, a Milan team of mine fired at one of the remaining T55's. 6 shots, 2 hit.

Penned through the ammo and fuel compartments. No effect, it kept on rolling oblivious.

Fuccccck that poo poo.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 15, 2015

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
I've heard nothing but terrible stuff about Graviteam Tactics but I'm actually really enjoying it. Haven't encountered any problems like that at all, although I haven't used ATGMs yet. The unit AI is pretty mediocre sometimes but it held up ok throughout my first campaign.

It sort of feels like SP:MBT to me, except with nice graphics and in real time obviously. Have some screenshots from today:

An AT gun broke the left tread of this half track, then the driver was killed by shrapnel from a second hit. The driver slumped across the control levers and the halftrack proceeded to drive around in a sad little circle for the next ten minutes:

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I'm not sure what difficulty stuff to gently caress with in Graviteam. On the default settings I get absolutely wrecked, either because the enemy has ten thousand tanks and I have maybe 2 Anti-Tank rifles/RPGs who are consistently too terrified to open fire before being massacred, or because my tanks can't penetrate poo poo. Or on lower settings the AI seems content to just sort of sit around and wait to be shot, and then surrender when they do get shot.
Maybe I'm just playing the the 'wrong' faction on some of these. Are Iran's tanks just absolutely godawful compared to the T-72 of which the soviets have hundreds which charge at you in an enormous miles-long line?
The one time I successfully held off an entire force of Soviet armour with ZiS-3s, a sandstorm rolled in while I held all the key points on the map and the enemy offered a ceasefire which I accepted because I couldn't see poo poo. It was considered a victory for me... And then on the Operational map all my forces involved were shattered despite taking only maybe 1/3 casualties and the Soviets suddenly held all that territory.
I want to like it, but it's so damned frustrating sometimes most of the time.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Anyone interested in a C:TGW PBEM? I'm half-considering LPing it but mostly I just want to get into a slugfest with someone.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

uPen posted:

Anyone interested in a C:TGW PBEM? I'm half-considering LPing it but mostly I just want to get into a slugfest with someone.

Maybe. I haven't played in months though.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'm thinking of getting Graviteam Tactics from the steam sale that's on now for it, but why is there no multiplayer?

COOP would own. Actually coop would own in most games.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 15, 2015

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

I just bought CMBN and the CW expac. RIP wallet, I knew thee well.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

uPen posted:

I'll do it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Saros posted:

I'll do it.

What side do you want?

Riso posted:

Maybe. I haven't played in months though.

Nazis don't show up for another 15 years or so.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm happy to play either side or year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

I'm thinking of getting Graviteam Tactics from the steam sale that's on now for it, but why is there no multiplayer?

COOP would own. Actually coop would own in most games.

There actually is a demo on the official site. I highly recommended trying it first. A lot of us regret buying it because it wasn't nearly what we expected.

uPen posted:

Nazis don't show up for another 15 years or so.

:vince:

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 15, 2015