Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

YggiDee posted:

Now that the Locria-Fassad connection's been revealed, I wonder if anyone had noticed this earlier:

For the very first time this LP, actually. Then again, I did have the advantage of foresight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Y-Hat posted:

This is accurate. I believe Trey and Matt said that Earthbound was one of their favorite games, back when they were promoting Stick of Truth. That game came out 3 years before South Park....

This makes so much sense.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
This LP is amazing. This game is also amazing. God drat.

On a side note, there's actually unused areas for the toilet dungeon segment!

quote:

There is a locked room in the Toilet Dungeon, in Chapter 8, which has water leaking from under its door. It is never accessible during normal gameplay, and the door is non-functional, but if you use a walk through walls code in the next room, you can actually access the flooded room. There are no NPCs inside, and no solidity is programmed.

There is also a room in another corridor that is rendered inaccessible when a man rushes in and prevents you from entering. Walking through the walls here reveals that it is filled with toilet paper.
The article it comes from is full of spoilers, though (source here).

I like the room full of toilet paper rolls, myself.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I could swear I was in the toilet paper room when I played. Maybe it was just the ghosts?

Is this racist against ghosts?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cheez posted:

I could swear I was in the toilet paper room when I played. Maybe it was just the ghosts?

Is this racist against ghosts?

You don't want to know why Porky brought the ghosts there in the first place.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mega64 posted:

You don't want to know why Porky brought the ghosts there in the first place.

Can't say I blame him, that would probably be really soft.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Now that we know about the story behind the game, how do the ghosts fit into that story?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Our quest to the 100th floor continues. Like the previous floor, there's some new enemies to run into.

First up is an ordinary Mecha-Lion. This guy's almost boring at this point.

Oh boy, it's a robot lion that can breathe fire on the party! That's so original and interesting at this point!

NOT!

Pigmask Colonels are also abound here, though unchanged from its appearance as the fake-out final boss of Chapter 7.

The Colonels do know the answers to Trivia Cards 2 and 3, though, which is pretty important because

The Return of Octobot also does stuff.

It will try to steal stuff, the jerk, though I was lucky enough that it didn't work on me.

Ape worked on Earthbound and eventually became Creatures, Inc., which worked on Mother 3, some Mario Picross games, and some Pokemon spin-offs. At least that's what Wikipedia says, which is as much effort as I'm willing to use on an answer to a trivia card in a video game.

Instead, I'd rather talk about this King Burger some more.

Next up is an Upgraded Robot. It probably does stuff, but whatever it does is apparently so boring that I didn't bother screenshotting any attacks. The handbook says it has forgetful gas, so, uh, there you go?

It does have that 1/32 chance of rare loot, in this case the Horus Bandana, the highest defense of any head gear in the game, available for Duster and Salsa (even though Salsa's not playable outside of Chapter 3 and that very brief moment in Chapter 7 where you don't even have to fight anything with him).

The Nuclear Reactor Robot will explode unless you disable its explosion device.

To do that, turn it around with a Siren Beetle and attack it once. It also isn't a threat while turned around because it's turned around.

Magic Cake is the strongest of the magic sweets, restoring 50 PP. Savor every bite.

This is the first and only weapon Boney gets. It also kinda looks like a penis. I know it's a bone, but come on, just look at the thing.

Also, here's Return of Octobot's music, because. I never fought the Nuclear Robot Reactor by itself.

I still don't know if I know the differences between the Mild and Spicy versions of this song. There's still songs where I'm just guessing whether it's the right version or not. You'd think I know by now, but a couple of the early enemies I still had to hunt for five minutes to find the proper song for them. It's great when playing, but more of a pain when Let's Playing.

Sagittarius is the best of the bracelets, giving ten more defense than the Scorpio ones. I give it to Duster, or maybe Kumatora. It doesn't matter.

Using this will make you into a "nice person" who respects Master Porky from the bottom of your heart. Use it until you're red in the face, and you'll feel happy and revitalized as a "nice person". Unlike with regular hot springs, all you have to do is go inside a green-colored capsule, which makes it very simple and convenient!

So, there's a ton of people and animals in here, many with rather unique sprites. Even though I just went out of my way to make a new sprite for a woman whose only difference between another sprite is brown eyes, I'm not going to make thirty-something sprites for one-line things. Instead, I'll just write the name out. Obviously, if you don't care about seeing thirty-something people say wonderful things about Porky, feel free to skip all these.

I'm also going to omit all the (*glub* *glub*) and (*bloop* *bloop*) stuff because it's annoying to type out.

Sheep: Thank you, Master Porky.
Chicken: Just the idea that a chicken like me can be useful to Master Porky in some way makes me oh-so-happy.
Guy: Someday I'm gonna be a Pigmask...and make a world of Master Porky, by Master Porky, for Master Porky...
Guy: Thiiiis feeeeels soooo niiice~.
Man: Let's have a grand ol' time in Master Porky's city of memories...
Pig: Reconstructed... with... a lion... So happy...
Man: It's so much fun... (*glub* *glub*) This city is so much fun...
Man: Master Porky is wonderful... Master Porky is cool...
Cow: I'm gonna be a wonderful steak for Master Porky...
Man: Let's sing... Let's sing a song praising Master Porky...
Man: I am well... All thanks... All thanks to him... It is all thanks to Master Porky.
Guy: Bleergh. I feel sick. I shouldn't have gotten in here.
Sheep: Reconstruct animals... Make ferocious...
Man: O-oink...
Guy: An alligator-dog combination...
Man: Spankety spankety.
Man: Hurrah for Master Porky...!
Pig: I want (*glub* *glub*) to be a Pigmask...
Guy: Master Porky takes very good care of us. *spit* *spit* *spit* *saliva* *spit* *spit*
Chicken: Ahh... This feels nice and warm... I find I'm gradually starting to like Master Porky. Heheh.
Sheep: I think I want to be reconstructed...
Man: Master Porky gave me freedom... I'm free...
Man: I never brush my teeth! Woo!
Man: I'm gonna reconstruct all uncool animals...
Man: Yum!
Man: Happyhappyhappyhappy I'm so happy today...
Guy: Everything ever is thans to Master Porky.
Sheep: I know I'm a sheep, but do you think I can become a "nice person" this way...?
Man: Don't bother trying to struggle. The final day is coming.

Interesting that there's no women in these tanks.

While walking to the researcher I forgot to talk to, I learned Healing Omega. This uses Healing Gamma on the entire party, which is handy for enemies that make you cry or reviving a dead team.

Soak in it until you're red in the face and your personality will turn gentle and make you into a "nice person" who loves Master Porky.

You appear quite exhausted there, Lucas! But the real fun is just about to begin! Alright! Climb up those stairs just ahead! C'mon! Don't disappoint me, now! Ahahahaha!

Alright, let's get out of this crazy place.

The next room is a pretty chill place that gives me Chrono Trigger vibes for some reason. There's also another save frog in case one in a green brainwashing tank creeps you out.

Once we climb up a bit, there's the next room, which...

Well, alright then.

I've changed my hat, so perhaps you don't recognize me, but I was the chauffeur of that difficult-to-drive and far-too-long limousine. I'm pleased to see that you've made it this far. I will now determine if you're fit to meet with Master Porky or not. Kindly follow me, if you would.

It's not a final dungeon without a game show round. Fortunately, no trivia, though we're covered if it ever comes up.

No advancing until we do this, of course.

So I will use this "Super Whack-a-Mole" game to judge whether or not you're fit to be a wonderful playmate of his.

Whoever hits the most moles with their mental "A Button" hammers will win the game. Master Porky absolutely adores that word: "win". If the words "indulge" and "humor" mean anything to you... you'll know what to do. But, if you try to throw the match, Master Porky will be very displeased indeed.

Sounds simple enough.

Hit the old guy in the helmet and you'll be zapped. Do try to be careful.

Let's bring out Master Lucas's competitor...Master Mini-Porky!

Yeah, like we're going to compete against Porky himself. We're going up against a robot version of him, obviously.

Ready, Master Mini-Porky?

The game shows Mini-Porky hit a couple moles before fading out.

All right!

Now it's our turn. I hope you figured out the gimmick to these games by now.

The idea is to make it competitive enough that Porky barely wins. If you know this, these are pretty easy as Mini-Porky's not that good at these games. This gives you enough time to talk to your party.

Does "indulge" mean we're not allowed to win...?
What does this "indulge" thing mean?

So the key is to hit nine moles, just enough to barely lose. You can hit all nine quickly and just stand there the rest of the time, it's all good.

Don't hit the old men either. I don't know why the guys in the helmets are considered old men, that's something the game just decided on its own.

Master Lucas's record! Tadah! Total moles hit: 9!

You've won the intense match by the razor-thing margin of one mole! What a wonderful game! Truly heart-stopping!

Another Chrono Trigger corridor and save frog.

You'll both start from a Purple Bridge at the same time, and the first to reach the other side wins. You understand the rules, yes?

Think we got it by now.

Also, if you have the two words "indulge" and "divulge"... Perhaps the former would be the one to focus on, if you catch my drift...

Yeah, we got it by now.

Okay! When you're ready, go to your starting position!

We've got time to talk to people before starting.

Whew!

I dunno why, but this seems really stupid...
Is this really what we should be doing...?

All right! On your mark, get set, go! Go! Go!

Mini-Porky is even slower than you'd guess.

This is a joke.

You can run to the end, wait thirty seconds right before the finish, and make your final step right after the slow butt Mini-Porky wins. Porky's too dumb to know the difference apparently.

You win the intense match by a nose! What a truly fantastic race! That was a match for the ages! Now, then! Let us move on to the third and final game!

Another stairway, and...

Guess what this one is.

The final game is... "To Whom Goes the Boom?!" All right. Here is a quick explanation of the rules. Use your mental "A Button" air pump to quickly inflate your balloon until... BOOM! The first to pop his balloon wins.

Yes.

Then please go to your position.

More chatter.

The fact this Porky guy is forcing us to do all this stuff makes me feel like he's a lot stupider and pettier than we thought.
So this is the final "indulgence", huh?

Duster's pretty sharp, that guy.

OK, good.

This means that you have a very good chance of coming from behind to win it all, Master Lucas!

I'm not even bothering to play the music for this one. Just spam A until it's big. You want to be the last size before Mini-Porky pops his. If you don't know, just follow Mini-Porky's lead.

OH NO I LOST AGAIN HOW CAN I EVER COMPETE WITH PORKY OH WOE IS ME.

You're so young, yet you've mastered so much! I hereby deem you fit to meet Master Porky. Now, then! Please go and pay Master Porky a wonderful visit!

This stairway is even fancier, and even has a sofa we can rest on to restore our HP and PP.

As you may expect, this is a good idea to do.

Uh... Master Porky, I presume?

This is the REAL 100th floor that you wanted to come to oh-so-badly!

FINALLY.

Again, I welcome you, my beloved, detestable pests. I was the one who invited you here. So you're free to come inside if you wish. It's just, I've given orders to let no one enter my room to that little attack toy you see right here. Who knows, maybe this is where we'll say goodbye, even though I invited you here.

Meet the Natural Killer Cyborg. The battle theme for this one is pretty sweet, so listen to it.

You know the drill by now. Shields and buffs/debuffs. There's actually no shield on this guy to start with for once.

The Handbook suggests using Counter Omega since this guy has some pretty strong attacks and high offense, and reflecting them helps in lowering his massive 7548 HP.

Problem is, when you add three levels of Offense Down and two levels of Defense Up and throw shields on top of that, his offense suddenly becomes significantly less impressive, to the point where the fight becomes kind of a joke.

That said, the N.K. Cyborg has ways around it, like lightning attacks against three people. Of course, the Franklin Badge still works against lightning.

This hurts a bit more, but at this point we have Lifeup Omega, so it's no big deal.

It can also put up a Counter shield. Shield Snatcher is as invaluable as always.

I throw some Lighting Gamma at him. I'm at the point where I'd probably rather attack with Kumatora unless she's using Starstorm or something to save her PP for emergency Lifeup Betas. Her physical attacks are pretty decent after all these buffs.

Yeah, I kinda made this fight too easy.

The N.K. Cyborg can also numb people. Oh no, I have to waste Kumatora's turn casting Healing Alpha!

This is the N.K. Cyborg's big attack.

It's a physical attack though, and again, so many buffs and debuffs that it's actually weaker now than its missiles.

Hell, look at the damage I'm dealing with physical attacks. I'm just tearing through this guy now.

At this point, I use regular Shield Omega just because the extra damage from Counter is so small now it's not worth the extra PP.

I didn't even make the thing cry, though I'm sure it's crying in the inside over how pathetic it is.

This was just embarrassing. This is one of the final bosses of the game, and I utterly humiliated it. Utterly pathetic.

Of course, if you don't use buffs, then this guy will be pretty scary and you'll be throwing healing food and PSI left and right to keep up with this guy. So, uh, sorry to you guys who had trouble with this boss.

Anyway, we're finally ready to meet Porky. Maybe. We'll see next time.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
So what happens if you win the games or don't try at all?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

This music reminds me of something. I can't put my finger on what, though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4VtxWRfPOk

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Montegoraon posted:

This music reminds me of something. I can't put my finger on what, though.

I've seen people claim it samples Beat It, so that might be it?

And yeah, those minigame corridors look quite similar to the End of Time.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Double Plus Undead posted:

So what happens if you win the games or don't try at all?

Basically the host will accuse you of not putting on a show and you have to do it again. You might be able to get some extra dialouge from the bystanders as a result, but eh.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You didn't mention this but the pod room looks a lot like a similar room in Mother 1. Can't find a screenshot of the latter tho.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Genocyber posted:

You didn't mention this but the pod room looks a lot like a similar room in Mother 1. Can't find a screenshot of the latter tho.

Mother 1 and 2 both have rooms with people trapped in tubes. It's a series-wide thing.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Genocyber posted:

You didn't look hard enough.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Believe it or not, I always go after the Upgraded Robot first because it has an attack that can instantly KO one party member. I think it's a "brilliant light" attack? A light of some sort, in any case. Also, the Nuclear Reactor Robot's battle music is the same music as Barrier Trio's, and the Spicy version of Rock and Roll has some slowed-down parts that can throw off your combo game.

The End of the Century beam is the only attack where the Counter ever comes in handy, but debuffing goes a long way here.

Mega64 posted:

This makes so much sense.
"Hey Lucas, sorry for killing your mom and ruining your village. Have some chili- I made it myself."

That does sound like something Porky would do, honestly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Calling it now - the NK Cyborg was standing on top of a pitfall, and we're headed for Floor B100.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just played through and recorded the rest of the game, so once I figure out how I'm going to tackle the last three or four updates it'll be done very likely in the next two weeks, maybe even this week.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mega64 posted:

Just played through and recorded the rest of the game, so once I figure out how I'm going to tackle the last three or four updates it'll be done very likely in the next two weeks, maybe even this week.

Kind of a shame that it couldn't be finished today; that would've made for a nice touch.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Holy crap, if I thought of that I might have actually picked the pace up a bit. Oh well, too late now (or I could space out the updates for next year's Mother's Day).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Wikipedia's article on Mother's Day lists a few upcoming celebrations in other countries, so you can at least match it with some celebration.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Personally, I can't wait to cry.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Personally, I can't wait to cry.
The waterworks will be a-flowin', my friend.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I was expecting the last game to be a trap, where if Porky does his balloon first you're the one that pops. :psypop: I'm rather disappointed that it wasn't.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:stonk:

The Mother series is the best mix of charming and horrifying.

Also I did not see the Fassad-as-Magypsy twist coming, and no I don't think it's supposed to redeem his character in any way. I think it's just an extension of the way in which Porky's presence can bring out the worst in anything.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So, does that mean Fassad is a lady?
I mean, all of the other magypsies were ladies.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

the_steve posted:

So, does that mean Fassad is a lady?
I mean, all of the other magypsies were ladies.
All of the other magypsies were magypsies. Are they men dressing up as ladies? Are they transgender? Crossdressers? Or are they ladies that happen to be rather masculine? No one knows. Except the Magypsies and they're all gone now.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Mega64 posted:

And yet, it does not disappoint.

This may be one of the best things I have ever seen in a game.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

EponymousMrYar posted:

All of the other magypsies were magypsies. Are they men dressing up as ladies? Are they transgender? Crossdressers? Or are they ladies that happen to be rather masculine? No one knows. Except the Magypsies and they're all gone now.

He was a Magypsy dressed as a human man.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

constantinople posted:

He was a Magypsy dressed as a human man.
He presented as human you might say.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
The biggest hint as to who Fassad really was was him using PSI in the last battle with Lucas and co. Plus the hints in the music.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 12, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Shintaro posted:

This may be one of the best things I have ever seen in a game.

In some sense, I'm sad the OSHA thread is gone

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minrad posted:

In some sense, I'm sad the OSHA thread is gone

Rumors of the demise of the OSHA thread are greatly exaggerated.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We're coming close to the end. If you think things have been weird so far, well...

:siren: :siren:

Next up is this long nondescript hallway. It's only notable in that it's very long, and that the song that plays is a direct remake of the intro theme for Mother 1. Be sure to take some time to listen and appreciate it.

Then get ready to really appreciate the following:

:siren: :siren: :siren: LISTEN TO THIS: :siren: :siren: :siren:

This is essentially the theme song of the entire series, serving as the overworld theme for the first part of Mother 1 and making tiny appearances here and there in Earthbound. It's pretty drat great.

And it serves as great background music for the following tour.

If you've played or are very familiar with Earthbound, you probably recognize most if not all the landmarks here. I'm not gonna waste time going into each one since I've got a lot to cover, but it's pretty clear that these things are pretty important to Porky, showing that beneath that fearsome exterior, perhaps there still resides some fondness of that world-saving neighbor of his. After all, he treasured that yoyo so much.

There's a place to save and heal up here.

There's also this pencil-shaped statue sitting here. If only there was a way to erase it.

Much better.

We're almost to the end. This hallway leads to the final room of the Empire Porky Building.

I'm really just this meek little boy.

Please talk to me like good boys and girls.

You're a monster. No!

Meet the Mecha Porkies. Individually, they're not too bad, with each having a mere 865 HP. The problem is we're fighting five of them. Once the first two go down, PORKY 04 and 05 will jump in.

Because we're fighting a lot of enemies and the battlefield is constantly changing, debuffs aren't that useful, even the Omega versions. Also, each PORKY has a PSI Counter that, while you could Shield Snatch each one, takes too much time and effort to do, so you want to avoid PSI unless it can bypass shields, like the Thunder line. Of course, Thunder hits random targets so it's not always the best thing to use.

That said, this battle is where Super Bombs shine. You might as well use all your explosives here.

The Porkies do unimpressive damage with physical attacks. Defense Up/Shield is still handy as always.

The big thing is that each time a Porky is defeated, the party takes 80ish damage. Enough that you want to be careful not to kill them all at once, and enough that you want to stay away from Thunder which might kill two at the same time. Of course, Lifeup Omega makes this kind of a non-issue.

Once one Porky is destroyed, PORKY 04 jumps in. PORKY 05 will also jump in after.

Anyway, once you kill PORKY 05, that's it.

By that, I mean that's it for the first five Porkies. Next up is PORKY 06, and he brought friends!

They're pretty weak friends. I don't know if they're completely random or what.

Every time you kill a non-PORKY enemy, the PORKY summons another, so you might as well take out PORKY first. Most of the time, the other enemies will be non-issues anyway.

Most of the time.

Next up is PORKY 07. Don't freak out.

Once PORKY 07 is dismantled, the other enemies are all that's left.

Well, other than PORKY 08, 09, and 10.

:siren: :siren:

What, you think we were gonna fight a series of robots without a musical group jumping in to save our butts?

Dramatic climaxes are when unruly dudes like us get to shine!

Seems this Master Porky guy was trying to use us to brainwash everyone... I say it's high time we screw up his idiotic plans!

Hah! We ain't gonna let this Porky freak have his way!

We're gonna make you pay for all the bad stuff you've done! Get ready! It's punishment time!

And that finally ends the battle.

Lucas. This is it... This is finally it...

And randomly Flint is here now.

Hmm. I suppose it doesn't matter either way. Right, Duster?

Also, Wess, Bronson, Alec, Lighter, and Fuel are here for some reason.

And also Dr. Andonuts, why not.

Come a little closer so I can see your face better...

A traveler who has journeyed to and from past and future.

...Master Porky Minch!

I welcome you once again, you weak hangers-on pretending to be the last survivors of this world!

This is the actual Porky Minch. He's definitely not the kid he once was.

You resorted to blanking your memories to create a new world where humanity's past failures would never be repeated... How stupid can you be?! No matter how much you change the rules, no matter how much you refuse to admit defeat, in the end, the creatures known as "people" will always sign their own death warrant by acting out of stupidity and evil. And then... mankind will be gone for good. You could've been happy, if only you would've done as I did and obediently followed the visionary, selfish desires of a great hero... *wheeze* *wheeze* *wheeze* *gasp* *gasp*

Yes, we're being lectured on the inherent evils of mankind from Ness's obnoxious jerk neighbor.

Why is it you struggle to cling to life with such puny minds, pitiable bodies, and feeble hearts?

The curtain is about to fall on this pathetic little play of yours. Because, soon, the power of power will be mine. The world and everything in it has been my oyster so far, and now I'll end it all by acquiring the ultimate power.

*cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* Whew... Though everything so far has been fun and games, I've given you many a concession.

But, now that we're face-to-face like this, I won't hold anything back.

And, the moment he does, the Dragon should awaken and do as I want. At which time, I assume you fools will turn into garbage or dust or something and finally disappear for good. Ahahaha. I'll admit, that is kind of sad. But I would be crushed under the weight of boredom if it were any other way.
*wheeze* *wheeze* *wheeze* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* *gasp* Do you understand now?

Ahahaha. Aha ahahaha. *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough*

Oh! You love your little dramatic plays, so this couldn't have come at a better time for you!

Waha... Waha... Wahahahahaha!

Why not go and check it out then? I'm even being fair enough to tell you where it is. That really will make this game all the more fun! But I think I'll use my shortcut to give myself a head start, if you don't mind! Ahahahahahahaha! *cough* *cough* *cough* *wheeze* *wheeze* *gasp* *gasp* Bring it on! If you can catch up to me, that is! Here, you can use this elevator all you want!

To be fair, falling to our deaths is still preferable to listening to Porky continue to rant any longer.

It's now just the party and Flint, alone in this weird cavern.

But you haven't been a playable character since Chapter 1, and this is the end game. The enemies here will beat you alive. You can't go on, pops.

Your funeral.

But if it seems like I've been gone a long time, then go ahead and keep going.

...He doesn't stand a chance.

Do we have any choice?

Yes. We have the choice to not go, and stay here, in this hopeless dark place, for the rest of our lives.

But that's not the Lucas we know, is it?

This place is pretty dull until

Sorry, doorknob. :negative:

Near the end of this section, Kumatora picks up PK Thunder Omega, which casts four shots of Thunder that can go through shields/counters.

Anyway, this section has a save frog and a hot spring in a box. A nice place to regroup before we tackle the rest of the area.

The last section of the game takes place in this area that's eerily reminiscent of Earthbound's final dungeon.

This is one of the last two regular enemies in the game. It has a mere 712 HP, being able to be knocked down in a round of attacks. It also has a 20% chance of dropping Magic Pudding.

It only has two attacks, the usual mediocre physical and a lightning attack that hits three characters for mediocre damage (except Lucas, who has that Franklin Badge). They're no threat, honestly.

Also, here's Freeze Omega in action.

Anyway, I do something I haven't done all game: I grind.

You see, my characters are L57. Lucas learns his final PSI technique at L58, while Kumatora learns hers at L60. Might as well learn them so I can show them off.

This is Lucas's, Refresh. It costs 20PP and works similarly to Regen in the Final Fantasy series.

It gives the entire party a refreshing sensation.

Also, each time a character takes a turn, they gain a small amount of HP for the next five or so rounds. It's not much, but it's mainly useful to save characters who get mortally wounded.

Kumatora's final PSI is PK Ground, which costs a whopping 43PP but actually doesn't get overshadowed by Starstorm since it can do percentile damage.

The Fenomenos are immune to Thunder and Ground, so I'll show those two off later.

The final regular enemy of the game is the Minerali. It has 924 HP, high defenses, and a 10% drop of Lifenoodles.

It has decently strong attacks, including one that hits three people, but nothing impressive.

...It seems things didn't go well for poor Flint.

Lucas... He's your brother... Claus. I don't know why he's obeying this Porky guy, but as a father, I've finally found the son I lost.

Here's the final twist of the game, and one most of you have likely figured out by now. The Masked Man is Claus. The game hints pretty heavily, between both Claus and the Masked Man knowing PK Love and being able to pull the needles, and the Pigmasks mistaking Lucas as their commander, and even them wearing the same color pants. Plus, it's a video game where both a family member goes missing and you meet a mysterious antagonist with no background.

We can talk to Flint some more.

The final Needle... Lucas... Make sure YOU pull it. I'll catch up with you in a bit...

He'll repeat this several times before saying...

Don't worry about me. Just hurry to the Needle! I'm fine. I'm not hurt too bad. No, Claus didn't do this to me. I tried to fight the "Porky" that's inside him.

Then he'll repeat the Needle line some more. Of course, Itoi being Itoi, he snuck a little easter egg if you pester Flint enough times.

Geez, you're persistent. You're wondering about my hair, aren't you?

And talk to him one more time...

What's that? "Bald as a bean" is a dumb way of putting it?! When did you become such a bitter person?!

At which point, he'll repeat the Needle line.

Hey, I found it interesting.

There's one more detail about this cave...

This is Lucas's ultimate weapon. +100 Offense and a bonus 50 PP. An artifact from someone's past, perhaps?

Some more cave navigation and a few more enemies, until...

*cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* This really is no time for games anymore. I don't feel like letting you go any further. If you're after the Needle, then don't worry. My adorable little monster is on its way to it as we speak. *wheeze* *wheeze* *gasp* *gasp*

Its name was Claus?! That almost sounds like a person's name! But now it's my robot. Not even a fragment of life remains inside it. It's Master Porky's slave robot! It does whatever I say! It acts on my will alone. It's my double.

This is Porky. But you probably knew that by now.

Porky has a PSI Counter shield at the beginning, and he'll randomly reapply it in addition to whatever other attack he does that round, so don't rely too heavily on PSI attacks.

Of course, buff/debuff as usual. Shield's useful as always.

Porky will do something so pathetic that party members will burst into tears. Healing Omega can be handy here.

He did a weak multi-target attack!

He can also debuff the entire party's offense AND defense in one round. More of an annoyance than anything.

Thunder Gamma/Omega has a fancier animation, so here it is.

PK Ground can range between 2% and 13% of an enemy's HP. Considering Porky has 6569HP... This is pretty drat good.

Do enough damage, and Porky will start talking.

No matter how much you attack me, I'll never die. Even if I somehow wind up beaten, I'll never die. Bet you didn't know that, did you?

Porky actually didn't use much dangerous attacks. He's kind of a plot-battle pussycat, at least for me.

Who knows, I might be 1000 years old, or even 10,000 years old. But, despite that, I'm still the same kid at heart! Is that funny? It is, isn't it? Does it make you laugh? *cough* *wheeze* Are you laughing at me?

He can also absorb HP.

He can also get beat up an awful lot.

*cough* *gasp* *cough* Even so, I'll be alive. Me and the Dragon will be the only things left alive in the whole wide world! I'm more than ready for that possibility. Ahaha ahahahahaha! *cough* *cough* *gasp* *wheeze*

After another round of abuse...

I'm actually a pretty nice guy, wouldn't you say? Aha ahaha.

That...is slightly more dangerous.

Of course, that's right before I dismantle him for good.

Ahaha. Lucas... You haven't won, just so you know.

When I'm inside, no attack will have any effect on me whatsoever. I'm sure you're thinking to yourself, "Yeah, right. There's no such thing as "absolutely"..." But there is such a thing... And it's this!

Me! ME! All for me! *cough* *cough*

Now we have to battle the Absolutely Safe Capsule.

It has perfect defense and infinite HP.

It also has zero offense.

Combos won't work.

Even our strongest PSI is useless.

Because Porky is sealed inside the Absolutely Safe Capsule, the battle is, by definition, over.

Looks like we lost this one.

As evil as old Porky here is, I feel bad for him now. It's true that the "Absolutely Safe Capsule" that the Mr. Saturns and I developed together can protect one from every manner of danger.

Even what's outside of the Absolutely Safe Capsule is absolutely safe. I did tell Porky in a hushed voice that he shouldn't use it yet... But all he can do now is live for eternity inside the capsule, in absolute safety.

What do you think?

In a way, this is probably the cruelest thing you can ever do to a person. Porky is forever trapped in this thing, unable to ever again interact with the rest of the world. Even should the world and universe end, there will still be Porky, remaining safe for the rest of eternity. Eventually the reality will sink in for him, and he'll realize he's trapped in a sphere-shaped hell of his own creation. Can you imagine how horrible such a reality would be for a person? Does anyone deserve such a horrible punishment, even such a horrible person as Porky?

Sure, why not. You did good, Andonuts.

I somehow get the feeling it is.

At any rate, Porky is finally dealt with and will no longer be a threat to anyone.

Shame we won't get to be there once he realizes just what he got himself into.

Rolly, rolly...

Sure, Andonuts may have trapped a stupid kid into a life of eternal loneliness, but he's not above having fun with the situation. I mean, can you blame him?

Anyway, we still have a needle to pull. It's time to do a few last-minute things to prepare.

Hi! It's me, the friendly item storage man! I can't believe I made it all the way here, too. Anyway! How can I help you?

This is your last chance to get your items in order. There is an optimal set-up you should do, but I'll go into that later.

There's still enemies in the rest of this path. As long as you're healed up, they'll pose no threat.

Up ahead is another save frog, but he's no ordinary frog...

It's been such a short time, though it seems long, too. In any case, thank you for your continued patronage throughout it all. For me, and all the other frogs, I thank you. *hop* *teardrop*

Even the final hotspring has some special music.

Next time, we face the final boss: Claus.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
I really like, even at the end of the game, this game has not lost its sense of humor. If anything, as the game becomes more and more dark, it tries even harder to make jokes, like the game is trying to make you still want to keep playing and have fun even when the end of the world is coming and the game is at its most serious. Like the random details with the erasble pencil and doorknob and everything. It feels like a lot of care went into making this game at its darkest moment still feel lighthearted. It's refreshing when compared to other games that get grimdark near the end.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Even though it is, as you mentioned, not exactly a startling revelation about Claus, the game does an incredible job at making this last part seem a lot more sober. Until now, there's been bright colors, people, houses, machines, and all sorts of life. Here it's dark and barren. The only life down here is the weird monsters. And it seems to stretch on forever. For a series more famous for it's offbeat sense of humor, Mother games sure do know how to make it heavy and dark. poo poo's been getting more and more real all through this last chapter, but there's never been more on the line than in this last stretch.

Man, why isn't there another Mother?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Mega64 posted:

Rolly, rolly...

:allears:

Mother.gif

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

There is! Sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyan Dag
Oct 21, 2010

Broenheim posted:

I really like, even at the end of the game, this game has not lost its sense of humor. If anything, as the game becomes more and more dark, it tries even harder to make jokes, like the game is trying to make you still want to keep playing and have fun even when the end of the world is coming and the game is at its most serious. Like the random details with the erasble pencil and doorknob and everything. It feels like a lot of care went into making this game at its darkest moment still feel lighthearted. It's refreshing when compared to other games that get grimdark near the end.

I like this a lot too because it emphasizes that it's the same world, just dark poo poo is occuring at the moment. Just because something is happy and fun doesn't mean that bad things can't happen, and just because bad things are happening it doesn't destroy all happiness and fun.

• Locked thread