Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

A Kpro posted:

Also one of my coworkers who's separating this week keeps talking of some crazy programs where the Nevada guard pays for 100% of school on top of TA and the Montgomery GI Bill.

The people in TAPS convinced that Post-9/11 was inferior are idiots, but the NVANG really does have a program like that. Free tuition at any NV State sponsored college, which is basically the three public colleges in the state plus some community colleges and some desert research institute if you want to go get your Doctorate in counting lizards or whatever.

It's a pretty sweet deal. Only requirements are being in "good standing" (lol) with the unit and maintaining a 2.0 GPA. Note that this is completely separate from any sort of GI Bill benefits, so you could (for example) use your state benefits to get completely free tuition (plus a book stipend) on your BA and then use your GI Bill benefits on your masters. Or you could use the tuition waiver to cover the difference if you don't have 100% GI Bill. It's literally just "if you're a member of the NV Guard and you're attending a NV State sponsored college, we will waive any of your tuition that isn't covered under any other funding source as long as you've showed up to drill sometime in the past couple months and you aren't flunking out of school."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I go to a 50K/year school and make nearly 2000/month BAH, clearly the P9/11 is inferior

They dumb

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Those people are p.stupid. The Montgomery GI Bill is pretty much straight up inferior except in a few edge-case instances.

Then again I remember my TAPS class where half the folks had been in the military their entire adult life and couldn't even dress themselves (brown shoes with black pants/belt? :barf:) so I shouldn't be that surprised they'd think that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was shocked to find out most states don't offer tuition reimbursement. If I remember right MN will let you use it at a private school too, they just won't give you more than what the U of M charges.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 6, 2015

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Good loving God.

I missed out apparently.

So let me get this straight. They are busting NCO testicles over not having a loving sop/afi open while doing a job they are trained to do in their sleep? Tha gently caress is this bullshit? loving AFWA had the same wrong rear end 5 level test answer key from 1998 until I disproved it in 0 motherfucking 2.

Never did get an answer on how that happened. Probably shouldn't have pointed it out when getting an LoC for unsafe driving because I passed a major doing 30 in a 40 IN A PASSING ZONE.

I should have joined a real branch. Like the SS.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
They at least had better uniforms imo

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Wild T posted:

They at least had better uniforms imo

I was part of CENTAF and the ACC.

Point is I was on the loving east coast of the U.S. Wearing deserts with the gigantic collar flaps that doubled as a god drat parachute. And that dumb as gently caress marine points hat. We were supposed to get boonies which would have, believe it or loving not, made the uniform look less stupid. But the base commander, who had his panties in a wad over having to settle for a regular base house since our 3 star maj comm and his 2 brig funkies took the sweet commanders row, banned them from the base. Or at least that's what the squadron commander said.

Still don't think a base col can do that but what the gently caress ever.

Good thing was I was single and had a brief stint in EOD training so they automatically assumed I was more qualified to work with the army. So every time they needed someone to gently caress around attend important things, they sent me.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Was that at Shaw? Because those dudes wearing tan confused the hell out of me when I got there from tech school.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

pkells posted:

Was that at Shaw? Because those dudes wearing tan confused the hell out of me when I got there from tech school.

Yep.

Anyone in tan was 9th AF CENTAF.

Green belonged to the ACC.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Genocide Tendency posted:

So let me get this straight. They are busting NCO testicles over not having a loving sop/afi open while doing a job they are trained to do in their sleep? Tha gently caress is this bullshit? loving AFWA had the same wrong rear end 5 level test answer key from 1998 until I disproved it in 0 motherfucking 2.

There are certain things you are required to have the doc open. It's not a surprise, they drill it into your head. After the first few times I went through it, I almost never actually referenced my emergency procedures for some of the in-flight-emergency drills we ran, but you bet your rear end my checklist was open. All it takes is the MCC or an evaluator to notice that you don't have it and you can expect to be in the commander's office the next day being told that your qual is gone.

Edit: Yeah, a base commander can ban certain items. We got green boots banned from ADAB when those were first being rolled out. For some reason we got enough of them to issue everyone, and they look like poo poo with tan flight suits. Base commander agreed, and everyone else that followed us had to have tans for like a year.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's the same way in Command Post. If you're seasoned enough, you don't need a checklist. You know who needs to be notified of whatever and you know who wants a courtesy call and you know who just wants an email. You better at least pretend to read the checklist, though. Our trashcan Airman didn't make sure customs got called for a inbound redeployer and was brutally pwned with an LOR, which doesn't sound like much except there's pretty much no way to get in trouble at an AMC command post besides not running checklists and not showing up to work.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Command Post is literally 100% checklists 24/7 though, I mean there is a checklist for just about every possible event. Shuttle disaster? Checklist. 9/11? Checklist. Active duty suicide? Checklist. In flight emergency? Checklist. Redneck calling in reporting Blackhawks flying too low over his Podunk trailer? Checklist. Command Chief banging the Wing King's exec? Checklist. I think we had at least 2 giant binders for conventional poo poo and another for EAMs that I had to crack open regularly. Add in the monthly console certification tests (which turned into 2x a month before I cross trained); God help you if you failed more than once you might as well tuck your head between your rear end and that BEFORE those retards at Minot flew nukes to Barksdale causing an international incident and the nuke realm got even more lovely... Bleh.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Ragaman posted:

God help you if you failed more than once you might as well tuck your head between your rear end and that BEFORE those retards at Minot flew nukes to Barksdale causing an international incident and the nuke realm got even more lovely... Bleh.

Dude I know Minot and Barksdale both suck but they're not other countries yet. 'Helicopter batteries' shipped to Taiwan is another story entirely, though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wild T posted:

Dude I know Minot and Barksdale both suck but they're not other countries yet. 'Helicopter batteries' shipped to Taiwan is another story entirely, though.
It was a lot of fun trying to explain to someone that Republic of China and the Chine they're thinking of are not the same place. That incident made it into the NCOA and SNCO distance learning courses because they added a section on nuclear stuff to them for some reason. It's outrageous but not that outrageous.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Oh I agree, it's just that the combination of those events within a short timeframe probably made being associated with nukes in any shape or form a living hell i.e. easier to get hosed over for poo poo that might have gotten folks a more minor punishment. The thing with Taiwan was indeed a royal gently caress up though, it broke the camel's back once it was discovered.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Also keep in mind any nuke movement requires a report be sent to the Russians due to SALT treaty and all that shizz. Had they wanted to make bigger deal out of it I'm sure they could have.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Checklists are just something that's drilled into your head from day 1 in maint. Never not have a book with you if you're doing anything that requires it. Do I need it to open cargo doors on an aircraft which I've done hundreds of times? Not really, but I'll have it with me. Do I need it if I'm changing some nose landing gear tires on a C-5 so I don't forget a step and have two of them fall thousands of feet into the forest? You betcha. (This happened, luckily not to me)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't done NC2 yet but everyone I've met who did it either is planning on leaving the AF as fast as humanly possible or is an empty-headed retard who thinks doing a 2-2-2-2 is the best poo poo ever to work.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

There are certain things you are required to have the doc open. It's not a surprise, they drill it into your head. After the first few times I went through it, I almost never actually referenced my emergency procedures for some of the in-flight-emergency drills we ran, but you bet your rear end my checklist was open. All it takes is the MCC or an evaluator to notice that you don't have it and you can expect to be in the commander's office the next day being told that your qual is gone.

Edit: Yeah, a base commander can ban certain items. We got green boots banned from ADAB when those were first being rolled out. For some reason we got enough of them to issue everyone, and they look like poo poo with tan flight suits. Base commander agreed, and everyone else that followed us had to have tans for like a year.
That one time we had fumes in the cockpit, I didn't bother to consult the checklist. After the boldface, I let the co-pilot worry about that poo poo while I desperately tried to locate the source of the burning smell.

Also, who the gently caress wears green boots with a tan flight suit.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

So it's a job thing then?

Makes sense. We didn't have TOs or at least not that I was aware of. Just the SOP and AFIs in some closet that no one actually had the key for and our station req/climo binders.

I built a couple cheat sheet binders at one point to help with poo poo you forget all the time like the 2x2 Gate to Gate rule with shots of what it was, or poo poo like "This is boring stuff, this is poo poo your pants and panic stuff".

No idea what ever happened to them since they were still being "approved" when I got med boarded.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The epic part about nobody in your shop really knowing the details on everything we do is that you can pretty much publish your own guide/product for whatever and chances are, nobody important will ever see it anyway.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, it's a job thing. We killed a whole lot of aviators, passengers, and people on the ground because of hand-me-down "techniques," so the Air Force spent a few decades choking the life out of that with an iron fist. Our accident rate now vs what it was reflects that.

There were only two times I truly crushed someone in public as an instructor, and that was when instructor candidates told a student, "now, the T/O says not to do this, but..."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Yikes. Yeah.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also, who the gently caress wears green boots with a tan flight suit.

I had a set of tans thank god.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Tangentially related, but check out this (minor) drama shitstorm on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Biographies_of_living_persons/Noticeboard&oldid=661725773#David_Deptula

After offering up his own USAF biography, it seems more like he's trying to suppress the airing of dirty laundry.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I love the screaming and ineffectual fists pounding on tables when retired generals get dickslapped and they're no longer able to use their rank to get their way. My favorite being ones who get angry when their buddies start getting called out to Congress .

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Wild T posted:

I love the screaming and ineffectual fists pounding on tables when retired generals get dickslapped and they're no longer able to use their rank to get their way. My favorite being ones who get angry when their buddies start getting called out to Congress .

Generals are loving dumb.

Retired generals are even worse.

Live in an area where there are retired generals. They get their loving panties in a wad over the line length at Walmart. They should just old yeller anyone with a leaf or higher at their retirement ceremony.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Genocide Tendency posted:

They should just old yeller anyone with a leaf or higher at their retirement ceremony.

Why wait so long?

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Airshow this weekend. I can't wait for the unwashed masses and 15 hour days.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Ckwiesr posted:

Airshow this weekend. I can't wait for the unwashed masses and 15 hour days.

Seymour-Johnson?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I had some girl scout cookies

So I made a peanut butter pie. Crust is Oreos, middle is Samoas, the topping is Tagalongs.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Rythe posted:

Seymour-Johnson?

West(left)over

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Read terminal lance all day at work, tomorrow I'm going to waste an entire day doing hazmat ops at the fire dept, friday I'll probably spend 4 hours spraying water at a truck until I go home.

Your taxes at work 8^)

e: samoa cookies are the best, pro as gently caress

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Someone fell asleep at the wheel while driving a fuel truck at D-M.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

terrez posted:

e: samoa cookies are the best, pro as gently caress

gently caress you, they're Caramel deLites :colbert:

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Well to be fair I have a weakness for chocolate+cocounut. Almondjoy might as well be made of crack and heroin for me.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

shyduck posted:

Lol prepare for a new CBT or two.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Eh, not as bad as the cop that fell asleep and drove into a jet.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That hasn't been posted in a while.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shyduck posted:

How much you guys wanna bet they're going to stop this from happening by making everyone in LRS work even longer hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It's the Air Force way :downs:

• Locked thread