Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wooooooow the ending to Shamo was almost as good as the ending to Gantz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Speaking of Gantz look at what manga crunchyroll just put out. http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/inuyashiki/volumes

So far it's a great ride.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I might actually give it a read now that it has an official translation, the fan ones were awful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like inuyashiki because it is following up on the sadly underutilized 'virtuous old man gets super powers' concept from gantz. Like, whenever the old man got an appearance in gantz it always seemed like he would have been a way better protagonist than weepy douchebag kurono.

Pity the actual manga is middling at best, though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Annointed posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but since the old Teppu thread is a year old I fugured this is the best place. Teppu is going to end in two chapters after years of delays, partially due to the author's poor health. Chances are it's probably not going to resolve alot of the plot threads, but at least it'll end instead of being HiatusXHiatus.

drat that's a shame. At least it will get some sort of closure though. Sucks to hear about the author's health, I had never known about that before.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wooooooow the ending to Shamo was almost as good as the ending to Gantz

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but it's the best ending to the series possible, really. :v:

Shamo was pretty good. It's ending was a downer but how else could it have ended?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 13, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

I like inuyashiki because it is following up on the sadly underutilized 'virtuous old man gets super powers' concept from gantz. Like, whenever the old man got an appearance in gantz it always seemed like he would have been a way better protagonist than weepy douchebag kurono.

Yeah, but middling is still better than second-half Gantz so I'm mostly sticking along, we all know this dude's limitations so it'll probably turn from middling to lame sooner than later but oh well. I agree about the protagonist, that is at least a plus for it, and so far (at least where I caught up) it doesn't look like the evil robot guy or whatever, who is a weepy douchebag kurono, gets as much screentime...I mean he gets his, obviously, but I like the idea that the old man remains central protagonist so we have less teenage sociopath.

I wouldn't actually recommend Inuyashiki to anyone though, unless you're where I am where you've read most of the typical recommended excellent manga on ADTRW and just skim/sample a buncha random series that vary from good to middling. Like if you're someone who hasn't read the best of say, Naoki Urasawa or say, gotten into Vinland Saga/Historie/I Am a Hero/etc, don't even bother validating the Gantz guy with your attention any further. I mean even with sci-fi/action manga, there are better dudes to choose from. Cool old dude though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm worried that murdering robot boy is going to kick Inuyashiki's rear end once they end up fighting. I get the feeling that he's probably experimented more with his abilities and is better able to utilize them. Then again, Inuyashiki now has help from murderous kid's friend and has been practicing so who knows.

Speaking of murderous kid, he's kind of interesting in that he represents an extreme of the way most people are; he has empathy for the people he knows closely and cares about but doesn't care about anyone else.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's March Lion in May! http://bato.to/read/_/321084/3-gatsu-no-lion_v5_ch50_by_be-with-you-scans

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
So, is it just me or is Tokyo Ghoul:Re pretty much "Do nothing, the manga~".

Edit: Plus the cover makes him look like he has a learning disability.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 13, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tokyo ghoul is bad

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Cake Attack posted:

Tokyo ghoul is bad

Well, the first was pretty good. Even if it lost focus near the end. The new one though...

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I just lost track of Tokyo ghoul when a lot of important plot details were put in those dialogue bubbles at the end of chapters.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I didn't really get very far after the whole PAIN AND TORTURE HAVE GIVEN ME ABS, BLACK FINGER NAILS, AND WHITE HAIR

it's like a new super saiyan paradigm man

it's kind of sad considering the promise of the first chapter (the early chapters really do feel like a series from someone less retarded, it's like they switched writers like that other dumb thing Ajin or w/e). It went to poo poo faster than any manga I've read, Gantz didn't go to poo poo that quickly! It's sad reading posts of mine in this thread in like May talking about how Tokyo Ghoul is this fun new promising action series I'm reading.
I know it didn't have a lot of brains or nuance to begin with, but it's remarkable how much dumber it got, like all of a sudden it went from this:

to this:

(and it's really not the translation that's the issue. I wonder if the manga-ka got brain damage or something)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 14, 2015

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

FriggenJ posted:

Well, the first was pretty good. Even if it lost focus near the end. The new one though...

I ended up watching both seasons of the anime and found it basically watchable. How closely does it adhere to the comic?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Cake Attack posted:

Tokyo ghoul is bad

hello. I'ts ep[ic.; thanksU you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The best part about tokyo ghoul was that one weirdo who got really upset that no one else gave a gently caress about it.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ajin pwns. Killing millions of cops is awesome.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Baofu posted:

I ended up watching both seasons of the anime and found it basically watchable. How closely does it adhere to the comic?

They changed, sped up, and omitted some things (cramming 140+ chapters into 26 episodes will do that), but the main story is mostly the same. Closer to FMA: Brotherhood than the original FMA anime, if you want a comparison of adaptations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

coathat posted:

New series by the soil guy. For lovers of art and extreme violence. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/deathco-r15166

I love his art so much, it is so much better than literally 95% of other manga art out there.

Regarding the new series, the pacing seems kind of strange. It's weird that he spent the whole first four chapters on introducing the main character, particularly in what I assume is a monthly manga.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Most people just buy the volumes.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The new chapter of Shiori Experience rocks! http://bato.to/read/_/321415/shiori-experience-jimi-na-watashi-to-hen-na-oji-san_v1_ch3_by_cat

Boh

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My love for Shiori Experience cannot be overstated. Putting on some Jimi Hendrix medleys from youtube while reading makes it even better.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Anatharon posted:

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but it's the best ending to the series possible, really. :v:

Shamo was pretty good. It's ending was a downer but how else could it have ended?

Yeah I guess there was no good way for it to end at this point in the story, but that's the problem. There was absolutely no reason for the story to end here, there was still a lot of plotlines left to explore.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, Aki Eda (the author of Bonnouji) has started a new manga about card games. It is... kind of weird? http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/wizards-soul-holy-war-of-love-r15381/

Note: please please please don't start sperging out about mtg here.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Yeah I guess there was no good way for it to end at this point in the story, but that's the problem. There was absolutely no reason for the story to end here, there was still a lot of plotlines left to explore.

It reminded of that manga by the guy who made Scumbag Loser kinda. Suddenly everyone started keeling over and it's over all of a sudden.

"Live by the sword, die by the sword" kinda fits.

So, Aki Eda (the author of Bonnouji) has started a new manga about card games. It is... kind of weird? http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/wizards-soul-holy-war-of-love-r15381/

Note: please please please don't start sperging out about mtg here.

"Being good at it makes you popular"

The creator regrets playing a lot of Magic I take it. :v:

I do like how there's a line that boils down to "If you play blue nobody will like you."

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 18, 2015

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I do like how there's a line that boils down to "If you play blue nobody will like you."

It's been 15 years since I played this dumb game and my poor choice of colours still haunts me. :negative:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Motherfuckin denial decks. :argh:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if the fictional card game maker hates red as much as wotc does.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I kind of wish it was Actual M:tG, because it being that close but not quite there is really distracting to me. It'd probably be worse for the story, though.

Still gonna think of her dad as that one guy that bought like a thousand Daybreak Rangers, though.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Managed to break willing suspension of disbelief on the first page.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I can't wait until it gets to the ineveitable jerk villain who plays a black and white deck.

Anatharon posted:

"Being good at it makes you popular"

The creator regrets playing a lot of Magic I take it. :v:

Algid posted:

Managed to break willing suspension of disbelief on the first page.

:colbert:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
March Comes in like a Lion 51

Rei's pensive, introspective moments are just so brutal to read.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

a kitten posted:

Motherfuckin denial decks. :argh:

Your whimpers and tears feed my azure soul.

Besides, :argh: is properly reserved for that one jerk playing an artifact deck. And there is *always* one.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

buzmeg posted:

Your whimpers and tears feed my azure soul.

Besides, :argh: is properly reserved for that one jerk playing an artifact deck. And there is *always* one.

You rang? :smug:

coathat
May 21, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

March Comes in like a Lion 51

Rei's pensive, introspective moments are just so brutal to read.

It's a very good manga

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I may be late on this but there's a new chapter of The Town Where Only I Am Missing.

Does anyone know if they're translating any more chapters of Suicide Island in english? I can't find anything past chapter 91.

Edit: Apocalypse No Toride has gotten pretty good. Not sure if I should link it since CrunchyRoll carries it.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 20, 2015

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

What's that? More Yotsuba? Well, if you insist.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
More Wizards Soul!

This card game is getting entirely too real.:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Play hard or go home.

Now for something more upbeat. A happy chapter of Stravaganza. Especially that cover. http://bato.to/read/_/323653/stravaganza-isai-no-hime_v2_ch11_by_easy-going-scans