Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

sliderule posted:

The SQ80 is soooo good. That is all.

I agree. I'd buy one if 1) I didn't have a Waldorf Microwave already, and 2) I had the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah bitches. One 110v ready GEM S2R up and running. Now I just gotta figure out how to use it. It sounds, it sounds exactly like what you'd expect a mid '90s Italian synthesizer to sound like.

So uh, what are the cool kids using for floppy drive emulators nowadays? Because I'm going to have to ditch the floppy drive.

e: so it let's you set the date and time, right. THe year rang is between '80 an '11, like 1980 and 2011.

e2: ohjeesusfuckingchrist 10 segment looping envelopes. Literally cumming right now. Wish I'd bought one of these years and years ago.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 7, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Maybe about halfway through penetrating the patch structure of the S2r.

poo poo's fairly crazy. Each voice consists of 1, 1 crossfading or 2 oscillators. Oscillators are ROM samples or whatever you load from a disk. The crossfade mode uses one sample, but moves though different loop points in it in a manner I have yet to study or understand.

Modulation consists of a pitch env., an amp evn., a pan env. a filter env. and an lfo. The envelopes are all up to 10 stages and loopable. Either the pictch or amp env. can be used to control the balance between osc 1 and osc 2. The lfo can go real slow and real fast, can be assigned to pitch, amp or cutoff of either filter. Only problem with it is that the depth only goes -7 to +7 so there's no a lot of subtlety for depth control.

Each voice has 2 stackable filters, each can be assigned as hp, lp, bp, boost or cut. They're digital, and sound super distinctive. The resonance gets just super acid at higher levels.

It's 16 parts multimbrle, you pretty much need to layer voices to make patches so, in practice, it's really more like 4->8 parts.

It's got a sequencer. I'll never use it, but it's still pretty cool that it's a rackmount and still a complete workstation.

UI is....it's -real- awkward at first, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. There are a ton of buttons, so, once you figure out where everything is, paging to it isn't too bad. But there's kind of a lot of stuff you need to figure out the whereabouts of.

There's pretty robust sampling that I haven't gotten to, but it has a limit of 2 megs ram.

It does microtunings with 1 cent precision and stores 4 user tuning tables. Haven't figured out how to access that by sysex yet, and I'm not entirely sure it can be. That's a huge bummer because manually setting up a tuning table is tedious and error prone. Still and all, it is totally microtonal capable.

Crushing on this thing pretty hard. It's missing a mod matrix, but the main point of a mod matrix is to get complexity and having a poo poo ton of dedicated, multistage looping envelopes is a pretty good path to complexity. The performance controls you'd use a mod matrix to set up are also largely covered in the voice set up options, so it's not a huge loss. The layering is also a little limited. With an Ensoniq MR engine synth, or an Alesis Quadrasnth or whatever mid '90's kinda deal, you've got usually 4 very independent oscillators per voice whereas with the S2 you've got, at most, 2 very linked oscillators. So, again, I'm probably going to end up burning more than half the polytimbrlity and polyphony to stack voices. Being sample based there's obviously no sync or pwm, this is more of a bummer than I would like because those filters, man those crazy resonant digital filters, they cry out for some crunchy primitive virtual analog action.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

Being sample based there's obviously no sync

SQ80/ESQ1 beg to differ.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Why is the Nord Lead 1 SO GOOD? It's really absurd how well I'm getting along with this thing especially considering I had the Lead 2X for about a week and thought it was just alright.

Here's some quick snippets I recorded on my first day with the NL1: https://soundcloud.com/portervance/nord-lead-1-doodles

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My band is about to back a hip hop group for a crowd of >1000 people and our keyboard player's dx7 is acting up forcing him to use my microkorg and a semi working d20 (for piano sounds).
God help us.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
He was using a DX7 for piano sounds?! Or do you mean the DX7 Tines?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
About as in "I have a week left" or about as in "4 hours until showtime"?

If the patch names look all messed up, check the memory battery voltage and replace if possible/necessary.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Why is the Nord Lead 1 SO GOOD? It's really absurd how well I'm getting along with this thing especially considering I had the Lead 2X for about a week and thought it was just alright.

Here's some quick snippets I recorded on my first day with the NL1: https://soundcloud.com/portervance/nord-lead-1-doodles

Probably because the DSPs in the Lead 1 are by another guy and he took the design with him when he left Clavia.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

sliderule posted:

He was using a DX7 for piano sounds?! Or do you mean the DX7 Tines?

We normally don't use paino sounds in our sets but this is a special occasion / favor. Fortunately a midi controller has been provided in place of the d20. Chances are he's just going to wind up using lounge lizard.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

sliderule posted:

The SQ80 is soooo good. That is all.

VoodooXT posted:

I agree. I'd buy one if 1) I didn't have a Waldorf Microwave already, and 2) I had the money.

Had one but sold it after I realized I kept using SQ8l plugin and never touched the actual synth anymore

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Poly AT makes it my new master keyboard.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Anyone craving an OP-1? :v:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Any good recs for a chorus pedal? I'd like something that gets me in the ballpark of the Ensemble setting on a Polysix.

Preferably mono to stereo, and bonus points if it has expression pedal input. I don't think I want to fork out $500 for the Cluster Flux though despite its awesome name.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
the elkorus rack unit from spain is the only bbd based ensemble style chorus in production that im aware of. most choruses only modulate one delay line, but the ensemble on the ps-6 is fancy like a stringers chorus and modulates 3 delay lines with one lfo, phased at 0 degrees, 120 degrees, and 240 degrees. its a pretty complex and not at all common effect, but there may be some digital unit that does it

waneb
Oct 11, 2008
The PCBs for my Ambika arrived last week, and now I'm waiting for the components to come in the mail so I can get started. I went with 5 of the SMR filters and 1 SVF. I love the sounds of the demos and figured having a multimode filter included like the SVF will be good for leads and basslines. Once this is finished, I will be one step away from having an (almost) DIY-only setup! The only exception is the mixer, since I don't really want to try to build one myself.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Daily, but I doubt I can ever justify the cost of buying one, used or not.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the elkorus rack unit from spain is the only bbd based ensemble style chorus in production that im aware of. most choruses only modulate one delay line, but the ensemble on the ps-6 is fancy like a stringers chorus and modulates 3 delay lines with one lfo, phased at 0 degrees, 120 degrees, and 240 degrees. its a pretty complex and not at all common effect, but there may be some digital unit that does it

Bah hell. Googles not really helping me out here either.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I'm about to move and my roommates in the new place are all into production, and we plan on using the space (and largest) bedroom as a studio space where we can consolidate all of our gear.

So far we have my desktop (a sandy bridge rig with 3 24in monitors), a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, an mpk61, an arrangement of microphones, a bunch of my guitar stuff/pedals, a pair of 5in Mackie monitors, a microkorg, a D20, and an mpd 26 (which I plan on using with my laptop).

Anyways, one of my roommates has about 1200$ worth of PA equipment that he's in the process of selling and he's looking for a new synth in the range of 1000$. So far he's considered getting a subfatty, and the ARP Odyssey remake which leads me to believe that he's looking for something analog and monophonic. Do any of you guys have any other recommendations?

To that end, I personally love the subfatty and I've been pushing him in that direction. Have any of yall tried the Odyssey? From the comparison videos that I've seen the sounds seem much less 'rich' than the remake?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So living in Hawaii I have an exceedingly limited amount of space to work with which is being shared among two people. Right now my two big bits of hardware are scattered across three states and while I'm trying to centralize them all I'm really struggling with the concept of where to put them all. I'd love to get some kind of dedicated gear desk but they're all made of metal, shipped from Germany with price based off weight, and approximately a bajillion dollars. Anyone have any good suggestions? Preferably something stand-up since I really hate sitting down.

MockingQuantum posted:

Daily, but I doubt I can ever justify the cost of buying one, used or not.

Of course you can! :v:

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm about to move and my roommates in the new place are all into production, and we plan on using the space (and largest) bedroom as a studio space where we can consolidate all of our gear.

So far we have my desktop (a sandy bridge rig with 3 24in monitors), a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, an mpk61, an arrangement of microphones, a bunch of my guitar stuff/pedals, a pair of 5in Mackie monitors, a microkorg, a D20, and an mpd 26 (which I plan on using with my laptop).

Anyways, one of my roommates has about 1200$ worth of PA equipment that he's in the process of selling and he's looking for a new synth in the range of 1000$. So far he's considered getting a subfatty, and the ARP Odyssey remake which leads me to believe that he's looking for something analog and monophonic. Do any of you guys have any other recommendations?

To that end, I personally love the subfatty and I've been pushing him in that direction. Have any of yall tried the Odyssey? From the comparison videos that I've seen the sounds seem much less 'rich' than the remake?

I bought the Odyssey. It sounds tremendous and amazing. I'm a big fan of the Sub 37 - it has way more features and is the best Moog product of the modern era - but I love the gorgeous simplicity of the Arp.

There are plenty of comparison videos between vintage Odysseys and the reissues and it's clear that they totally nailed it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

64bit_Dophins posted:

Have any of yall tried the Odyssey? From the comparison videos that I've seen the sounds seem much less 'rich' than the remake?

Nah, it sounds really good. Besides, old ones may be maintained so badly that they play like poo poo.

A new MS20 is also an option, as is a Studio Electronics Boomstar - you already have a controller, and the keys of the Sub Phatty are not that spectacular.

Or get a Novation Bass Station 2 and a Microbrute, two analog monos for the price of one!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Anyone have any good suggestions? Preferably something stand-up since I really hate sitting down.

Build a desk? It's not too difficult assuming you have access to wood and nails and a saw and a hammer

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Build a desk? It's not too difficult assuming you have access to wood and nails and a saw and a hammer

I don't have access to a place to build a desk, unfortunately.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Anyone have any good suggestions? Preferably something stand-up since I really hate sitting down.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/804597/Realspace-Limble-Computer-Desk-39-38/

Light, just sturdy enough that, except for the keyboard tray, it doesn't feel like it'll fall apart. IIRC, the bottom little side appendage is exactly big enough to accommodate 19'' rack gear. It can be had with a quick and relatively painless trip down to the Ward center area. You can put a keyboard and a drum machine on the desk part and a mixer on the side part. Wait for it to go on sale, think I got one for, like, 60$ 2 years ago.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I don't have access to a place to build a desk, unfortunately.

Acces to IKEA? They sell extendable legs that go to 90cm.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
MFB Dominion 1 is what your friend should buy.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh gently caress maker.ie will be putting a Patchblocks into a Eurorack module. How now can I resist the siren song of the 'rack?

I mean it's great because PB are DC coupled, but it's poo poo because now I'll need something to test CV/Gate poo poo on. Maybe I'll just get a Disting and hook up the scope.

Also, the creator of Patchblocks mentioned my Gestures block in Cuckoo's MusicMesse video :3:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Tayter Swift posted:

Bah hell. Googles not really helping me out here either.

the digitech pds-20/20 is a really cool old digital delay with built in modulation and its got really high sampling rates at flanging and chorus speeds and it sounds really lush. polysix into 20/20 is fatter than gilbert grapes mama

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I bought the Odyssey. It sounds tremendous and amazing. I'm a big fan of the Sub 37 - it has way more features and is the best Moog product of the modern era - but I love the gorgeous simplicity of the Arp.

There are plenty of comparison videos between vintage Odysseys and the reissues and it's clear that they totally nailed it.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Nah, it sounds really good. Besides, old ones may be maintained so badly that they play like poo poo.

A new MS20 is also an option, as is a Studio Electronics Boomstar - you already have a controller, and the keys of the Sub Phatty are not that spectacular.

Or get a Novation Bass Station 2 and a Microbrute, two analog monos for the price of one!

Alright awesome, definitely a consideration then. Do you guys know of a place I could try out the ARP? Are the ARPs keys any good or is it something you use with a controller? Also what do you guys think about the moog minotaur? I can't imagine it's very versatile but I image it's capable of producing some fat kicks and mind melting leads with that moog filter.

Also I know that you guys have probably talked about it before but the Korg M1 VST is so good. I use it in almost all of my projects now. Are there any other sample based VSTs like it that have newer/more hi-fidelity sounds? Or is there some way to import sounds into the m1 VST that I just haven't discovered yet?

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 13, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don't have the Minitaur but it's hobbled for leads as it will not produce notes more than an octave higher than middle C. You can't even pitch bend past that.

There was a recent price drop on the Slim Phatty, making it only a hundred more than the Minitaur for what seems like much more flexibility.

In other news, I just ordered Amazon's last Freqbox :negative:

(E: it should be noted that Gordon reid's review of the Phatty may be the single most scathing one ever published in SoS so uh... Yeah)

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 13, 2015

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Those of you with an MS-20 mini, would you call it a flexible synth that can do more than the usual bass and signature MS-20 sound?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

net work error posted:

Those of you with an MS-20 mini, would you call it a flexible synth that can do more than the usual bass and signature MS-20 sound?

Oh yeah.

It can do amazingly gritty electronic drums

I've sampled a bunch of drum sounds that I've made individually (using these video's as a guide) and put them on the Volca Sample.

It can do a really nice pad with just some added reverb + delay

I also used it for the final lead sound on this track I did for the Christmas synth album with just a bit of processing from the Mangler.

Really the only massive drawback it has would be the hz/v for CV, but thankfully that's only for pitch and gate which the midi covers up, the SQ-1 does on the cheep now, and the desktop version completely does away with.

It's probably the one piece of gear that I've never considered selling and if I ever lost it it would be replaced immediately by the desktop version.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 13, 2015

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm a few thousand miles from the nearest Ikea.

Thanks, I'll check it out. :)

edit: aww, it's a sitting desk :( I don't do sitting

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 13, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm a few thousand miles from the nearest Ikea.

Thanks, I'll check it out. :)

edit: aww, it's a sitting desk :( I don't do sitting

Dude, you're short enough and it's low enough that you can stand while you use it.

e: Other option is to religiously scan craigslist, find a 2 or 3 tier keyboard stand and put pieces of plywood on it instead of keyboards. That'll end up being more expensive and heavy, but it'll also be real adjustable.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 13, 2015

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Kinda. What are we talking about here?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Okay I'm loving around with modulating the filter at audio rates and my brain is breaking.

I have my MS-20 Mini set up with what should be producing no sound -- oscillators are off, low pass is at zero (so I guess 20hz), no peak. Hit a key and I get silence. So far so good.

Then I take an audio signal from another source (let's say my MicroBrute for sake of argument), plug that in to the Total jack, turn up the appropriate knob to modulate the LPF, and I can faintly hear the other sound source. It responds to that source's pitch changes, everything -- it's really a quiet copy of that source.

Turning the filter knob up (but holding the peak at 0) doesn't change the sound much, although it does buzz more when I get high up. I get the same sort of thing when I modulate the cutoff of my Moogerfooger LPF.

What is happening here? Is the audio just bleeding through to the VCA? I was thinking it was the background hiss that was being modulated but turning up a noise oscillator doesn't modulate that.

e: same thing with the Microbrute but not audible until the cutoff is up about halfway.

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 14, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Fellas, lemme tell you, the Korg cliphit is legit. I got two clips on my shirt and am playing bongos with my beer gut as we speak.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tayter Swift posted:

What is happening here? Is the audio just bleeding through to the VCA? I was thinking it was the background hiss that was being modulated but turning up a noise oscillator doesn't modulate that.

When I tested an MS20 mini in the store, I did hear cross-talk somewhere in the signal path. Salesperson thought it was defective. Turned me off of the MS20 instantly.

edit: Also, gently caress FM with Q10 fixed-point arithmetic and a lovely SIN(). I'm going to have to roll my own sine table or some poo poo.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Hot signals will leak on drat near anything, attenuate in case it's clipping supply voltage and it might let up a bit. Or not at all. You wanted analog, there's noise, living breathing instruments or whatever :jerkbag: