Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Master Twig posted:

I was hoping for a bit more out of those Ad Mech dudes. T5, 4+ armor, 2 wounds is just a tad too fragile for 55 points. Even if they have really good firepower. They're going to disappear rather quickly.

Play with the German profile and convince your friends that yes, that is W:5

Also "Mehr maschine als mensch" sounds cooler too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
I must be in the minority because I like all of the mechanicus releases so far, especially the walkers and skitarii.

The Supreme Court posted:

Play with the German profile and convince your friends that yes, that is W:5

Also "Mehr maschine als mensch" sounds cooler too.

I would love to have terminators with actually good guns and those stats.....

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 12, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Strength of Many posted:

I must be in the minority because I like all of the mechanicus releases so far, especially the walkers anta skitarii.

Most of its really cool and even the robutts are fixable, but the aesthetic as a whole is jumbled and disjointed. The track servitors are a great example of how good everything could be, and it's clear that with the spider walkers that they had a lot of flexibility to do different stuff. It's just a shame that's not translated into a coherent vision of the army, as it could be so much better.

I was hoping for nightmarish tech abominations along the inventiveness and quality of the skaven line: those big robot rats would work much better than the 50's style robot.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 12, 2015

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Most of its really cool and even the robutts are fixable, but the aesthetic as a whole is jumbled and disjointed. The track servitors are a great example of how good everything could be, and it's clear that with the spider walkers that they had a lot of flexibility to do different stuff. It's just a shame that's not translated into a coherent vision of the army, as it could be so much better.

I was hoping for nightmarish tech abominations along the inventiveness and quality of the skaven line: those big robot rats would work much better than the 50's style robot.

No they are pretty cohesive, visually speaking. Smooth looking negative space, a blend of retro and archaic. The only grounds most complaints seem to have is its not tubes, pipes and CRTvs bolted on everywhere like Jon Blanche art. Yet they still have most of those elements present, so... I guess its because the look cleaner and more uniform?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Master Twig posted:

I was hoping for a bit more out of those Ad Mech dudes. T5, 4+ armor, 2 wounds is just a tad too fragile for 55 points. Even if they have really good firepower. They're going to disappear rather quickly.
One version of them has a 3+ save at least.

Strength of Many posted:

No they are pretty cohesive, visually speaking. Smooth looking negative space, a blend of retro and archaic. The only grounds most complaints seem to have is its not tubes, pipes and CRTvs bolted on everywhere like Jon Blanche art. Yet they still have most of those elements present, so... I guess its because the look cleaner and more uniform?
I'd say they're mostly pretty cohesive, but that the big stompy robots are a lot smoother than the rest of the line, which is why they sort of stick out. I don't have much problem with them aside from the heads which are kinda goofy lookin. The reception for most Mechanicus models has been pretty positive thus far.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mange Mite posted:

I've heard of this sort of thing happening before but still lol this is really bad. Just what crackerjack law firm did Gw retain anyway?

Jonathan E. Moskin of Foley & Lardner LLP is the dodgy attorney in question

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

I've been building an Ad Mec army, but using Veer Myn from Mantic games. I am going to be using these exact models as stand-ins. Space Rats will be coming to the table soon.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
i was chanting the holy litanies of repair on a kastelan battle automata in the maintenance bay, when the ultimate hustler popped out of my mechatendril and said "your robot shirt look like a dishrag" and the kastelan's engine roared to life, servos spinning and weapons coming to firing position, targeting the ultimate hustler, and the robot was like d a m n .

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Master Twig posted:

I've been building an Ad Mec army, but using Veer Myn from Mantic games. I am going to be using these exact models as stand-ins. Space Rats will be coming to the table soon.

I was passing something similar but with some old resin servo skulls I picked up randomly years ago

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Haven't seen this dude posted yet, but I really like this tech-weirdo. He's exactly what I was hoping to see with this Admech stuff.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That guy is neat.

Other than the Sicarians and the Kastellans, these AdMech models are really loving cool.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
He'll make a mighty fine 30k magos, thats for sure.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

drat, I want those tracks for my Thunderfires.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im just gonna draw at work from now on. Did I mention ive started my eldar army

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please put little cowboy hats on all future Eldar doodles

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm getting a strong Strogg vibe off of those :stare: (which is cool).

Yeah, that's it exacly. To me AdMech should hit a sweet spot between Stroggos and the Matrix machines. Isn't the fluff that things were cleaner and less crazy before the heresy? I think that's what's so confusing about the new robots, they should be the 30K units, and the FW Castellax should be the rougher, skull-crazy 40K units.

This just popped up on my Pintrest, and really makes me want to do AdMech:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Remember how we were just talking about 40K being one big Dune ripoff? :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

HardCoil posted:

Yeah, that's it exacly. To me AdMech should hit a sweet spot between Stroggos and the Matrix machines. Isn't the fluff that things were cleaner and less crazy before the heresy? I think that's what's so confusing about the new robots, they should be the 30K units, and the FW Castellax should be the rougher, skull-crazy 40K units.

This just popped up on my Pintrest, and really makes me want to do AdMech:

The mighty Scrunt Prime

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Grot tank conversions waiting to happen.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Those servitor tanks are so fukkin cute.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mango Polo posted:

Yesssss

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Mango Polo posted:

Thomas the tracked engine of death.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm sorry for bringing this up again because it was a while ago, but you guys do realize 40k's use of the phrase space marine itself is taken from earlier works right? Like both Heinlein and various Lensmen books explicitly refer to characters as "space marines". GW trying to claim trademark in any instance except perhaps table top wargames is certifiably horseshit. It'd be like me making a popular game that sadistic underground men called deros and then trying to sue someone who does their own take on the Shaver story.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

(not mine)

The metallics on these are amazing. It makes me wish I knew how to do metallics better. Anyone have any advice on how this effect was achieved?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I just keep seeing this :

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TKIY posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really like the way those look, wasn't a Goon here looking for tracked servitors. The rules are pretty nice as well.

T5 , 2 W , can shoot 2 weapons, look like they come with Grav gun type weapon and they get some sort of weird special rule Songs of Omnissah or whatever.

quote:

via Cedric Dupont in the Comment Section
Translation of the Equipment's french rules :
Kataphron Assault Armor : save 3+
Kataphron Half-Armor : Save 4+
Arc Claw : Melee, S+1, AP5, Haywire
Hydraulic Claw : Melee, S+2, Unwielddy, At the end of the assault phase, you can do an additional attack with Strenght X2 (max S10)
Cognis Flamer : template S4 AP5 Assault, when used at overwatch, 3 hits instead of 1D3
Heavy Arc Rifle : 36" S6 AP5 heavy 2 Haywire
Heavy Grav Cannon : 30", F*, AP2, Salvo 4/6 Concussive Grav
Phosphor Blaster : 24", S5, AP4, Rapid Fire, Luminagen : a unit wich take a damage or lost a wound by these munitions, take a -1 cover save penalty till the end of the phase. When a unit charge this target, they can reroll their Charge roll
Plasma Culverin : 24", S7, AP2, Heavy 2, Blast, Gets hot.

Torsion Cannon : 24", S8, AP1," heavy 1, 1 Penetrating hit = 1D3 HP lost. 1 wound = 1D3 wound lost. (After Succesfull wound/hit and save failed)

quote:

- can shoot up to 2 weapons
- count as stanionary when shooting heavy or salvo weapons even after moving
- may charge even after firing assault, heavy or salvo weapons

the other 2 special rules are
- "anthem of the onmesiah" (rough translation, new rule)
- bulky

quote:

Kataphron Destroyers (3) 165 Pts
Troops
BS3 WS3 S5 T5 W2 I3 A1 Ld8 Sv4+
Unit Type: Infantry
Equipment: Half-Armor Kataphron, Plasma Culverin, Phosphor Blaster
Special Rules: Song of the Omnissiah,

Options: Add up to 9 additional models @55 Pts apiece
Each model can replace with a Plasma Cannon Culverin Grav Heavy – Free
Each model can replace the Phosphor Blaster with a Flamethrower Cognis – 5 Pts

Heavy Battle Servitors: Models with this special rule can not run, but can shoot up to two weapons to Shoot phase. These models count as stationary when firing with heavy weapons or gusts, even if they moved in the previous Movement Phase, also can charge the same turn in which they used weapons to Rapidfire, Burst or Heavy.

Getting Grav Guns on these units is pretty sweet, that and the whole shoot two weapons.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 12, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm sorry for bringing this up again because it was a while ago, but you guys do realize 40k's use of the phrase space marine itself is taken from earlier works right? Like both Heinlein and various Lensmen books explicitly refer to characters as "space marines". GW trying to claim trademark in any instance except perhaps table top wargames is certifiably horseshit. It'd be like me making a popular game that sadistic underground men called deros and then trying to sue someone who does their own take on the Shaver story.

Again, you don't seem to know what you're talking about. They sell software specifically titled Space Marine, and they've been marketing a line of books under the Space Marine Battles series tag for a long time. There doesn't seem to be anything else on the market that uses the term, so it's actually perfectly legitimate to make a trademark claim.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Strength of Many posted:

I don't know if I'm the only one who doesn't like their regular troops. The rangers or whatever really look like eldar guardian/firewarrior hybirds to me but i think maybe I'm just going insane. The profile and poses look very similar to me but maybe there's a limited amount you can do with light humanoid infantry.

I dig the striders, assassin robot dudes and track servitors though, don't think much of the crab tanks and think the big robots look actually pretty bad, their body design is basically default imperial heavy armour without any character and their helmet design looks like a placeholder.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TKIY posted:

Denise Crosby is in that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

TKIY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJgAeGUD2FU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mange Mite posted:

Again, you don't seem to know what you're talking about. They sell software specifically titled Space Marine, and they've been marketing a line of books under the Space Marine Battles series tag for a long time. There doesn't seem to be anything else on the market that uses the term, so it's actually perfectly legitimate to make a trademark claim.

Except there is a requirement for viewer confusion. Given that space marine is a generic term such confusion can only be reached if they are also aping story structure, naming conventions, imagery, or other such aspects of GW space marines. Given that the book in question doesn't do this, instead being a purposeful imitation of the much older Starship Troopers, GW had no legal standing. Hence why they lost. Trademark claims have very strict requirements, hence why you have numerous movies with identical titles. Hell even though the 1997 and 1998 Jack Frost were both movies about a dead person reincarnating into a snow man the lawyers involved came to the conclusion that a lawsuit on the latter wouldn't stick because both films had different ratings and were in different genres. Then take for instance the Asylum movies which are clearly intended to cause confusion and even then the lawsuits against them don't amount to anything more than being forced to change the title and a slight delay in their film release. You have to that blatant for the US government to even kind of care.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Terrible Opinions posted:

Except there is a requirement for viewer confusion. Given that space marine is a generic term such confusion can only be reached if they are also aping story structure, naming conventions, imagery, or other such aspects of GW space marines. Given that the book in question doesn't do this, instead being a purposeful imitation of the much older Starship Troopers, GW had no legal standing. Hence why they lost. Trademark claims have very strict requirements, hence why you have numerous movies with identical titles. Hell even though the 1997 and 1998 Jack Frost were both movies about a dead person reincarnating into a snow man the lawyers involved came to the conclusion that a lawsuit on the latter wouldn't stick because both films had different ratings and were in different genres. Then take for instance the Asylum movies which are clearly intended to cause confusion and even then the lawsuits against them don't amount to anything more than being forced to change the title and a slight delay in their film release. You have to that blatant for the US government to even kind of care.

No you really don't seem to understand what's going on at all. This is proven when you start talking about the us government, viewers, and misusing terms like legal standing

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mange Mite posted:

No you really don't seem to understand what's going on at all. This is proven when you start talking about the us government, viewers, and misusing terms like legal standing

Trademark infringement
Definition

Trademark law protects a trademark owner's exclusive right to use a trademark when use of the mark by another would be likely to cause consumer confusion as to the source or origin of goods. To establish a violation of the Lanham Act for either a registered mark under 15 U.S.C. § 1114, or an unregistered mark under 15 U.S.C. § 1125(a), the plaintiff must demonstrate that (1) it has a valid and legally protectable mark; (2) it owns the mark; and (3) the defendant's use of the mark to identify goods or services causes a likelihood of confusion.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Good thing we tried to run Moola out on a rail for ruining this thread.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I legit think that the Adeptus Mechanicus stuff is good rules and both armies seem to have some synergy with each other. However they need to release the full Admech book and stop teasing us.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

spacegoat posted:

Good thing we tried to run Moola out on a rail for ruining this thread.

certainly there's enough room in these here forums for *two* bad posters.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

I legit think that the Adeptus Mechanicus stuff is good rules and both armies seem to have some synergy with each other. However they need to release the full Admech book and stop teasing us.
It's the one thing keeping me from getting any of this stuff. I have a hard enough time juggling one book of an army I don't know very well, but two is ludicrous.

I'm working on some Rogue Trader robots right now and I definitely won't be able to use them as Ad Mech anything since they're only slightly taller than modern Terminators, so they'll be Space Marine Centurions I figure. They've got some of the absolute vaguest detail I've ever painted on a model before though. Of the three I have, it only looks like one was thoroughly thought about before the sculptor got started.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ghetto wormhole posted:

And its machine spirit LOVES killing and will sometimes override the crew when it's really getting into it.

I love this bit of fluff, because if you read between the lines you can see it overrides the crew because it uses a bastardized Hydra targeting system. The tank just tries to lock on to the best targets and the crew thinks it's because the machine spirit is bloodthirsty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't think that's exactly true, didn't a Landraider go to war or some poo poo? Like by itself?

• Locked thread