Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

croutonZA posted:

So, Wildstar news. NCSoft's quarterly report is out and here's the per game breakdown:

According to my lovely math Wildstar made less than $2.5million in Q1 which is loving terrible.

But I don't understand, the wildstar forums told me the game was growing faster than ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/126059-ncsoft-q1-2015-report-wildstar-continues-downward/

4 posts in and someone is already trying to say the earnings report doesn't matter.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

If you're talking about vince blood I think he is saying he doesn't care anymore if it goes f2p or b2p he just wants the game to survive. Basically he is admitting defeat and that he has been wrong about this game needing to go b2p or f2p.

If someone finds an Oliver post about this please post.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Holyshoot posted:

If you're talking about vince blood I think he is saying he doesn't care anymore if it goes f2p or b2p he just wants the game to survive. Basically he is admitting defeat and that he has been wrong about this game needing to go b2p or f2p.

If someone finds an Oliver post about this please post.

I think he meant this one:

Harmon posted:

Q4 is the biggest shopping season out of any quarter. Q1 tends to be the least busy do to the hangover from Q4. Don't know enough about $ to tell where they are at but these are normal market trends.

Maybe he forgot Q4 weren't very good numbers either.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anoia posted:

They've never even had sales, have they? Even this asinine ploy to get people to buy multiple boxes for in game crap is at full price.

They had 25% off at launch i think.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
That sounds right. IIRC If you bought all their stupid bonus poo poo as a pre-order it was the same price as the default box.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Didn't they gain that many subscribers before this quarter though.

No.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

And Ifrit, Garuda, Ramuh, Titan if you count the heart as an add which is a little silly but whatever. Cloud of Darkness in WoD. Glasya Labelas and Xande in Syrcus. Vassago in Lota. Chrysalis. I will refrain from going into the 5 man dungeons but it is a mechanic that happens a lot.

You forgot Leviathan's balls.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

croutonZA posted:

So, Wildstar news. NCSoft's quarterly report is out and here's the per game breakdown:

According to my lovely math Wildstar made less than $2.5million in Q1 which is loving terrible.

I assume "Others" are just smaller F2P games? Wildstar should be able to fit in there soon, I would think.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Watching them try to find fault in the charts is adorable. Thinking that maybe Credd doesn't factor in to the earnings report, and with that being how half of the 50 people still playing pays for their subs..

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

They gained just under that many at the start of WoD.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

suicide threats start on page 3

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

onesixtwo posted:

:pray:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

onesixtwo posted:

Yup, that's an appropriate reaction for a grown-rear end adult finding out something he or she likes isn't as popular as they thought.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/126026-extended-ncsoft-maintenance-13-may-2015/

17 hour maintenance tomorrow. But it's not the game itself that's going down. It's the auth servers and........account management. New model incoming?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Iron Tusk posted:

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/126026-extended-ncsoft-maintenance-13-may-2015/

17 hour maintenance tomorrow. But it's not the game itself that's going down. It's the auth servers and........account management. New model incoming?

I hope so. It'd be like Christmas in May to see the forum reaction.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

I hope so. It'd be like Christmas in May to see the forum reaction.

No Carbine No! Don't Make Money! Don't Stay In Business!

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Isn't one of the problems with credd that a whole lot got flooded onto the market in the first month and now nobody is paying for subs anymore.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Byolante posted:

Isn't one of the problems with credd that a whole lot got flooded onto the market in the first month and now nobody is paying for subs anymore.

That and if I recall there was a duping issue that flooded the market with too much money/Credd. I could be misremembering because I know something similar happened to Archage with their in-game sub currency thing.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
There was some dupe bug that completely cratered the in-game economy. Since the credd stuff is bought with in-game currency, welp. They did not perform a rollback; speculation is that they literally don't have the tech to do one.

I didn't know that the game actually went into space for a few sections. mushroom_spore's experience sounded like it could be great. Shame about the baggage dragging the rest of the game down.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
The 'space' sections are few and far between. One leveling zone IS on a moon, mostly. Which is fun. And then every 10 levels or so there is an instanced space mission where you do a quest inside a spaceship. That's about it I believe. The rest are generic desert, forest, snow, jungle, etc. Veiled under terraforming ancients who created this magical planet with all sorts of diverse environs.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
Too add, there was another bug (which supposedly got fixed in drop 5) that you could abuse a veteran adventure with a 5 man group and invite lowbies. You basically boosted your character from 1-50 in a matter of hours. don't get me wrong that's "okay" but these are the same people who say "Man I wish there were more lowbies leveling in these zones!"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

When I played in the first week you could buy iron ore from the AH, turn it into steel platforms, and literally vendor them for profit. When I found that out I went from having about 50s to having 30g in a day, and that was probably the least egregious of duping bugs and money printing schemes. Their economy was absolutely trashed and carbine refused to rollback the servers to get rid of the money.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Haha something similar happened during release for GW2 and anet banned people by the hundreds and forced them to beg for their accounts back on their forums. They eventually unbanned a lot of the people, but they got the point across.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Wasn't that just due to folks unloading mats at stupid cheap prices? I think that was because of how obtuse the vendor/inventory system was. Like, there was a whole different inventory for crafting mats. But you had to go into it and move stuff into the regular inventory to sell it to a vendor, so people never vendored stuff they didn't need. You COULD see all the stuff from your crafting inventory on the AH, though. So people were unloading stuff at like 1 copper each for the longest time, mostly out of lack of an apparent alternative.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GW2 has the best banning methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqfUi9DzBuo

WS wishes it was that hardcore.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

E:^ Oh yeah, they loving call out people all the time for lying on the forums when they complain about it. It's pretty funny.

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Wasn't that just due to folks unloading mats at stupid cheap prices? I think that was because of how obtuse the vendor/inventory system was. Like, there was a whole different inventory for crafting mats. But you had to go into it and move stuff into the regular inventory to sell it to a vendor, so people never vendored stuff they didn't need. You COULD see all the stuff from your crafting inventory on the AH, though. So people were unloading stuff at like 1 copper each for the longest time, mostly out of lack of an apparent alternative.

Nah, it was that you could buy poo poo for karma (an in game currency you get for completing events/quests) and vendoring them for gold. You're not supposed to be able to directly convert it to gold like that, but an item fell through the cracks. I think it was some sort of cooking material.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Lyer posted:

Nah, it was that you could buy poo poo for karma (an in game currency you get for completing events/quests) and vendoring them for gold. You're not supposed to be able to directly convert it to gold like that, but an item fell through the cracks. I think it was some sort of cooking material.

I meant in WS. GW2 was definitely buying cooking ingredients for karma.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Manifest Dynasty posted:

I meant in WS. GW2 was definitely buying cooking ingredients for karma.

It was an architecture thing. Steel plates or something? Wasn't it something like you could buy the mats from a vendor and then sell the final product for more than the vendor mat cost right back to the vendor?

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

noELrunes posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/35pkl7/mod_post_i_will_no_longer_be_allowing_any_f2pb2p/?sort=confidence

Well theyre also sorting out posts for F2P/B2p posts so there's that too.

If/when this game does head down thst route i think it would be funny. Also is thst the same fran aka franbunny?

and in less than 24 hours, BOOM: http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/35s3dz/f2pb2p_ban_rule_nullified/

another crazy comes crashing down to reality and sees the wreckage they've surrounded themselves in

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

Iron Tusk posted:

It was an architecture thing. Steel plates or something? Wasn't it something like you could buy the mats from a vendor and then sell the final product for more than the vendor mat cost right back to the vendor?

I don't know if it was the same time, but you could buy Norn cultural armour (transmog gear) for like 1% of its value for Karma, chuck it in the mystic forge and salvage the resulting high level items for loads of gold.

My favourite part was Anet calling out the liars in the forums

:downs: : But I only did it once Anet, unfair!!!
:cop: : Our logs show that you salvaged 3578 greatswords yesterday

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Velthice posted:

and in less than 24 hours, BOOM: http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/35s3dz/f2pb2p_ban_rule_nullified/

another crazy comes crashing down to reality and sees the wreckage they've surrounded themselves in

is that the same fran who melted down on wildstar forums because her nick was taken because this is really the moderator wildstar subreddit deserves lol

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

cthulhoo posted:

is that the same fran who melted down on wildstar forums because her nick was taken because this is really the moderator wildstar subreddit deserves lol
Yep! :toot:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cthulhoo posted:

i think i remember that being talked about in a previous wildstar thread so i'm going to go with yes

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

lmao everything related to wildstar is a loving treasure

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
It's also her real legal name.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004
Watching wildstar and their playerbase melt down is such a joy. I had high hopes for the game but lasted about 2 days after release before realizing it was such a piece of poo poo. I mean, I really wanted to like it. But at some point you just have to acquiesce to reality. There's a decent game under it all. But seeing the insane ego and denial at work shows the game will probably never live up to any latent potential because the devs' and playerbase's refusal to acknowledge the games problems. The only thing left is to just enjoy the flames. Never has a game so spectacularly brought this on themselves. I really don't think slapping a f2p model on it is even going to make a difference, because the problems are way deeper than the monetary model.

Irrational Man fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 13, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

F2P conversion is certain to bring us new stuff to laugh at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

cthulhoo posted:

F2P conversion is certain to bring us new stuff to laugh at.

That's true. In a weird way I've gotten more of my money's worth out of the spectacle of their decline and failure than actually playing. Here's hoping for more.

• Locked thread