Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

This reminds me of the time a few years back where one of the bigger Minecraft people attracted a fan so obsessive that the guy went through hundreds of videos to collect minute biographical details about the LPer and from that was able to determine which flower shop in Canada the LPer's parents owned. Ultimately he didn't share that information with the internet, he just showed up in person asking the owners if he could talk to their son.

That right there is the benefit of not having fans, no one is going to do that poo poo to me.

Come to think of it, didn't Chip talk about a fan looking up his parents' phone number to try to talk to him once on one of his appearances on Retsutalk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

That said, it's not really anyone's business unless he makes it their business.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't want the story to be a jumping off point or indicative of my view of that dude's business.

Spielmeister posted:

Come to think of it, didn't Chip talk about a fan looking up his parents' phone number to try to talk to him once on one of his appearances on Retsutalk?

His grandmother's, I think.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

This reminds me of the time a few years back where one of the bigger Minecraft people attracted a fan so obsessive that the guy went through hundreds of videos to collect minute biographical details about the LPer and from that was able to determine which flower shop in Canada the LPer's parents owned. Ultimately he didn't share that information with the internet, he just showed up in person asking the owners if he could talk to their son.

That right there is the benefit of not having fans, no one is going to do that poo poo to me.

One of the Rooster Teeth guys tweeted pics of his apartment building when he wasn't so famous. A fan found the complex, and moved in, then proceeded to pretend to not know the guy in order to form this fake organic relationship.

One of the RT staffers recognized her from video footage where she asked a question at a panel, and now it's like this super uncomfortable thing in their building.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

slowbeef posted:

One of the Rooster Teeth guys tweeted pics of his apartment building when he wasn't so famous. A fan found the complex, and moved in, then proceeded to pretend to not know the guy in order to form this fake organic relationship.

One of the RT staffers recognized her from video footage where she asked a question at a panel, and now it's like this super uncomfortable thing in their building.

Excuse me. :catstare:

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I would be flattered.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

What sort of life do these people live, that they are ready to just throw it away to follow Internet gaming persons?
It's sad more than anything else.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

paradoxGentleman posted:

What sort of life do these people live?

It's sad.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

slowbeef posted:

What the gently caress

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

slowbeef posted:

uh, is he still living in the same building as the crazy fan?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

slowbeef posted:

:dogbutton:

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
When you present yourself as a personality on the Internet, fans go past the point of admiration and see you as a part of their lives. They think they have such a good understanding of you that there's an illusion of friendship there. They watch because you seem cool to hang around and would take the opportunity to do so in real life, which is how you end up with stalkers.

At least that's what my neighbor ProtonJon says.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Surely there has to be a healthy middle ground somewhere that's more "It would be cool to chat with this guy at a convention or something" and less "I'm going to secretly move into this guy's apartment complex and pretend I don't know him, forming the soil in which our destined relationship can bloom". :stonk:

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I did a whole LP and I haven't even gotten one single HJ from it yet.

Do i just need to wait a little bit more or.....?

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 13, 2015

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
And here I thought the short-lived Super Best Friends mailbag series was a notable example of fan worship.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

smidgeonnn posted:

And here I thought the short-lived Super Best Friends mailbag series was a notable example of fan worship.

There were some genuinely great moments in that series, but Jesus Christ the things they got sent were ridiculous.

Here's another great example of a ridiculous fanbase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mStUijvvYTo

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

smidgeonnn posted:

In one of their more recent podcasts, they received a question that was basically "Hey I'm going to a place there with someone, do you guys wanna hang out?".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

GNU Order posted:

I did a whole LP and I haven't even gotten one single HJ from it yet.

Do i just need to wait a little bit more or.....?

You really need to post you zip code.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

TaurusOxford posted:

There were some genuinely great moments in that series, but Jesus Christ the things they got sent were ridiculous.

What the hell...

Hey Internet, I'm trying to go back to college. You want to just throw out $3000 to me to help me out? I'll stream games and pretend to be funny.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ReturnOfFable posted:

Hey Internet, I'm trying to go back to college. You want to just throw out $3000 to me to help me out? I'll stream games and pretend to be funny.

I'll give you $3000 pretend dollars.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ProtonJon is still a God. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOJLCMAgNik

Though, unlike most Gods his power lies in his ability to keep being wrong. He felt that there would never be another Castlevania game and lo and behold the universe had to make him wrong and we will be getting a new Castlevania game getting Kickstarted right now.

Praise be unto :krakken:ProtonJon!:krakken: But also don't let him forget that time he was in Sonic 06!

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

My opinion on Arin's sexuality is that I think that yellow streak in his hair is dumb. Did he do that just so he could redraw the logo?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Though, unlike most Gods his power lies in his ability to keep being wrong. He felt that there would never be another Castlevania game and lo and behold the universe had to make him wrong and we will be getting a new Castlevania game getting Kickstarted right now.
I mean, it's technically not a Castlevania game. :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slowbeef posted:

His grandmother's, I think.

This makes me kinda scared that now that Chip and Ironicus have done stuff outside of SA where they get referred to by their real names, that it's going to be a new point of entry for weirdos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

The distinction only matters as far as keeping them from getting sued so WHATEVs!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TaurusOxford posted:

Also a guy with weird fans. Especially the dozen or so grown dudes who went all squee at everything he did and wrote fanfics.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I love how it is so "technically not." The whole thing is a giant "gently caress you, I'm making a Castlevania BUT YOU CAN'T SUE ME BECAUSE IT'S TOTALLY NOT CASTLEVANIA DUDES!" :smuggo:

IGA's website is literally igavania.com :allears:

And sweet Jesus, that is gorgeous art.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
While we are talking about creepy weird fans, some fans of Noah Antwiler (Spoony One) found out where he lived and went to his house which scared the poo poo out of him and his brother. His brother being a cop who had a deadly confrontation on duty rather recently.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Leal posted:

While we are talking about creepy weird fans, some fans of Noah Antwiler (Spoony One) found out where he lived and went to his house which scared the poo poo out of him and his brother. His brother being a cop who had a deadly confrontation on duty rather recently.

Seriously, what has to go through your mind to stalk someone until you find their address, then just show up at their doorstep like "HI I LIKE YOUR INTERNET SHOW". How do you not realize you're being a creep way before that

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Danaru posted:

Seriously, what has to go through your mind to stalk someone until you find their address, then just show up at their doorstep like "HI I LIKE YOUR INTERNET SHOW". How do you not realize you're being a creep way before that

Because self-awareness isn't a thing everyone can do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Danaru posted:

stalk someone until you find their address

realize you're being a creep way before that

Uh...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

TaurusOxford posted:

Max is, by all accounts, a really great dude and I like watching his fighting game streams and videos (his thumbnails on youtube are terrible and make him look like pewdiepie clone #5293 so I avoided his stuff for a long time, but he turned out to be pretty cool), so it's nice to see him do well. Still, some of these people donating to him have way too much money and way too little sense, and they should totally be sending that cash to me instead.

edit: I believe some hardcore fighting game types hate him because he panders to filthy casuals or some poo poo, which makes him even better

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 13, 2015

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
People who have triangulated where I'm from have actually used the information to relocate farther away.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Yeah, sorry, I didn't want the story to be a jumping off point or indicative of my view of that dude's business.

Nah, I was more pointing the finger at myself for dissecting him than anything, and then trying to nip further discussion in the bud.

But I'm glad to know his gross comment was a 4chan reference and not actually him inadvertently sharing uncomfortable information about his sex life.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Doc Morbid posted:

edit: I believe some hardcore fighting game types hate him because he panders to filthy casuals or some poo poo, which makes him even better

How much truth is there in the stereotype that fighting game experts are elitist douchebags?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

How much truth is there in the stereotype that fighting game experts are elitist douchebags?

Having encountered one "professional" fighting game expert that proudly told me about the time he and friends faked a call to an opponent saying their father died to get him out of the tournament I can say if they call themselves a professional fighting video game player they're usually assholes.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Golden Goat posted:

Having encountered one "professional" fighting game expert that proudly told me about the time he and friends faked a call to an opponent saying their father died to get him out of the tournament I can say if they call themselves a professional fighting video game player they're usually assholes.

So were they ejected from the tournament for that, or...?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think it didn't work and they only managed to delay the match. He never said if they were found out or not he just kept laughing about the fact they did it.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
That's a tier one movie star level of rear end in a top hat.

Leal posted:

I like the spoonyones videos and all but his video journals kinda make me think he wouldn't be a fun guy to socialize in person with.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

From what I've heard this is also a parenting issue. That same RT guy had another story where he and his wife went somewhere on their... anniversary? Honeymoon? I forget, but an important distinction. Anyway, he tweeted what city he was going to, but that was it.

The fan in this case was a 20-year-old engineering student who wanted to meet him. His mother took it upon herself to call hotels up and ask if the RT person was staying at the hotel. The front desk said, yes, they were staying there, so they showed up announced and the mother had him come down to the lobby to meet their son.

If I had to guess, maybe the "kid" had some kind of social problems or something, and the mom was of the "do ANYTHING for my kid" mindset, but it's still a gross invasion of privacy.

I say it's a parenting issue because I've heard a few "my son/daughter loves you and..." stories about this e-celebrity stuff.

Happier story I told on Retsutalk. At PAX this year, I happened to sit one row behind JonTron on Amtrak (nice guy in person). The loving conductor came back and said "I'm a huge fan of your videos and I'd be honored if you pushed the button."

I guess it was the TRAIN START button, but yeah, JonTron got to push it.

Anyway, JonTron spent the whole trip talking to random strangers on the train; not even about who he was or his Internet celebrity. He's actually really affable.

(Also got to meet Matt/Woolie/Smooth McGroover, and a couple other guys. All really cool down-to-Earth people. Woolie loving rules.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Klaus88 posted:

I like the spoonyones videos and all but his video journals kinda make me think he wouldn't be a fun guy to socialize in person with.

His LPs of SWAT4, Phantasmagoria 2, and Ripper are all pretty good, but he does seem like a dick. He's also completely impossible to listen to when he's just talking without something to comment over, a script, or heavy editing. Jesus Christ the endless, repetitive rambling.

• Locked thread