Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
I've been doing quick mode weekend races and its been pretty fun. The 2 things I don't like are sessions ending immediately when the clock hits zero and not having any idea what place I'm in in a multi-class race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I've only raced in the LM1 race cars, but has anyone noticed any weird spin outs? Like I'll lift off the throttle and all of a sudden I'll be heading towards the wall. Mashing on the gas I understand, but the lift-off is really weird.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Lyer posted:

I've only raced in the LM1 race cars, but has anyone noticed any weird spin outs? Like I'll lift off the throttle and all of a sudden I'll be heading towards the wall. Mashing on the gas I understand, but the lift-off is really weird.
Google lift-off oversteer.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

Google lift-off oversteer.

You can actually spin out from that? I've never experienced it in other racing sims, usually I left off the gas and its fine. I don't really mind, promotes good driving, but it's kind of inconsistent.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Lyer posted:

You can actually spin out from that? I've never experienced it in other racing sims, usually I left off the gas and its fine. I don't really mind, promotes good driving, but it's kind of inconsistent.

go slower

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just played my first race on PS4. I *think* I made the right decision because it both looks a bit better and runs a LOT better than my PC.

That said, one thing I managed to not hear anyone say with regard to the PS4 version is that there is some pretty bad V-Sync frame tearing. Is anyone else on PS4 seeing this? I ran California Highway track at like 6pm. The background on medium/fast turns would sorta chug/tear.

I had heard about framerate issues with extreme conditions like 45 cars, etc... but I had managed to miss it if any reviews mentioned frame tearing issues. I cannot stand that stuff.
:\

I know it's a long shot, but given this game has so many settings for a console game, if anyone knows of something in the game that can turn that off/mitigate it, let me know!

[fakedit] It's not the best video snippet, but you can kinda see it happening at the end of this video as the replay camera pans. The rocks/trees sort of judder. It's much easier to see when playing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3o7GWBjRkI

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The post processing options account for make 2 fps. Possible SMS is gonna eek out more performance via patches.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

ethanol posted:

go slower

gently caress that :rice: all day

Yeah I have noticed some screen tearing on the PS4 too, haven't seen anything in the options.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Lyer posted:

gently caress that :rice: all day

Yeah I have noticed some screen tearing on the PS4 too, haven't seen anything in the options.

That emote reminds me. Why the gently caress can't we make Rice Burners in PCars yet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

holocaust bloopers posted:

The post processing options account for make 2 fps. Possible SMS is gonna eek out more performance via patches.

In case I was unclear, it's most noticeable IN races. The replays don't matter to me that much I just used it as an example.

[If that's what you mean by post processing...]

[Edit]

"As established in our earlier analysis, PS4 does also have an advantage in performance. To re-cap quickly, Project Cars' read-out is typically 60fps in its career mode, with tearing and drops below 50fps once rain kicks in. Stress-tests also show a PS4 advantage once 30+ cars are engaged, while Microsoft's platform takes a bigger hit on hectic races with heavy alpha effects. Tearing is constant in these 30-40fps stress-test scenarios, but in the interest of keeping render times as close as possible to the 16.67ms target, dropping v-sync helps to keep the visual update as rapid as possible - if at a cost to image quality."

-oh. :/

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 13, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lyer posted:

What other racing sims are we talking about here? liftoff oversteer is definitely thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tried dusting off my crusty 360 wireless wheel thinking it would work with some minor fussing with settings and I just can't get it to go. :smith:

There's a giant 20% deadzone that makes steering at high speed really difficult. Things feel pretty good going slow. Don't think it's the wheel itself, I ran some calibration software and the wheel itself is plenty sensitive.. the game just won't recognize turn input until I've turned a significant amount.

Googling and their forum is pretty useless right now, does anyone know of any super secret settings or functional documentation for the game on controller config?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Norns posted:

What other racing sims are we talking about here? liftoff oversteer is definitely thing.

Yeah I know, I've just never spun out from doing it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Lyer posted:

Games are really forgiving. Do it in an older Porsche, backwards before you know what happened. :)

e: I'm giving up on car games, no matter what I'm terrible because I can't feel what the car is doing.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 13, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

xzzy posted:

Tried dusting off my crusty 360 wireless wheel thinking it would work with some minor fussing with settings and I just can't get it to go. :smith:

There's a giant 20% deadzone that makes steering at high speed really difficult. Things feel pretty good going slow. Don't think it's the wheel itself, I ran some calibration software and the wheel itself is plenty sensitive.. the game just won't recognize turn input until I've turned a significant amount.

Googling and their forum is pretty useless right now, does anyone know of any super secret settings or functional documentation for the game on controller config?

I've gotten this 20% deadzone thing a few times and i think it's a bug. try setting the deadzone to zero and restarting the game, then set it to 10. mess around with controller filtering. try turning soft steering dampening on

edit: I read that as 360 controller but you might want to try that anyways

ethanol fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 13, 2015

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I just spent about 5 hours playing this on PS4 and it's just :circlefap:

I really wonder what this will do to Polyphony and their approach to GT7 because this game is so good I don't even know what GT could do to get me to go back.

The engine sounds, oh my god.

The only thing GT has on this, in my opinion, is GM cars (I'm a huge GM guy). Which I think Project CARS will have eventually anyway because there's Chevy and Corvette banners on the tracks.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
How do I get my community race times to save to the leaderboard? Is there some lap threshold I have to hit before I can exit? It seems to keep going forever

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Feenix posted:

In case I was unclear, it's most noticeable IN races. The replays don't matter to me that much I just used it as an example.

[If that's what you mean by post processing...]

[Edit]

"As established in our earlier analysis, PS4 does also have an advantage in performance. To re-cap quickly, Project Cars' read-out is typically 60fps in its career mode, with tearing and drops below 50fps once rain kicks in. Stress-tests also show a PS4 advantage once 30+ cars are engaged, while Microsoft's platform takes a bigger hit on hectic races with heavy alpha effects. Tearing is constant in these 30-40fps stress-test scenarios, but in the interest of keeping render times as close as possible to the 16.67ms target, dropping v-sync helps to keep the visual update as rapid as possible - if at a cost to image quality."

-oh. :/

Yea the in game ones that are optional.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

TheScott2K posted:

Do they seriously not have Xbox controller button prompts on the PC version of this? I remember thinking that was so dumb in the Shift games.

Can't speak to the Xbox controller, but I have a wheel, and everything is just labelled Button1 Button2. Despite the wheel having Xbox style button markings on it too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

widespread posted:

That emote reminds me. Why the gently caress can't we make Rice Burners in PCars yet.

I badly want this if for no other reason then to see how angry it would make sim racing fans.

Lyer posted:

There is a lot of physics modeling in PCARS that has never been done before in a racing sim, so a lot of this is totally new to us.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dubious posted:

I just spent about 5 hours playing this on PS4 and it's just :circlefap:

I really wonder what this will do to Polyphony and their approach to GT7 because this game is so good I don't even know what GT could do to get me to go back.

The engine sounds, oh my god.

The only thing GT has on this, in my opinion, is GM cars (I'm a huge GM guy). Which I think Project CARS will have eventually anyway because there's Chevy and Corvette banners on the tracks.

Those banners are there at the real track (road America). I wouldn't assume that based on the banners.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Just picked this game up for Steam tonight and it's amazing. It is also ego-crushing. I haven't touched a racing game since Forza 4 and just trying to drive a goddamn Clio makes me feel like an idiot. I love it.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

GutBomb posted:

Those banners are there at the real track (road America). I wouldn't assume that based on the banners.

a man can dream :sigh:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Strenots posted:

Just picked this game up for Steam tonight and it's amazing. It is also ego-crushing. I haven't touched a racing game since Forza 4 and just trying to drive a goddamn Clio makes me feel like an idiot. I love it.
I haven't touched racing since Forza 4 either, and I'm in the same boat. I can't drive anything. I figured jumping in to the karts for career mode would be a good idea, to start with some slow and easy stuff. Hahaha. Hah. Aha. :saddowns:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Anyone know a way to remove just the hands on the steering wheel? The options I have is either no hands/no wheel or hands/wheel.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yea the in game ones that are optional.

Well the one listed strictly as "Post Processing Effects" didn't help when I turned it off. Guess I gotta toggle the other ones and see.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Feenix posted:

Well the one listed strictly as "Post Processing Effects" didn't help when I turned it off. Guess I gotta toggle the other ones and see.

Yea like I said before those are only good for ~2 fps. It's more of a visual aesthetic thing rather than performance.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yea like I said before those are only good for ~2 fps. It's more of a visual aesthetic thing rather than performance.

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were saying it wasn't good for much FPS but toggling them off *did* aid in removing the frame tearing.

I think I get you now.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

LiquidRain posted:

I haven't touched racing since Forza 4 either, and I'm in the same boat. I can't drive anything. I figured jumping in to the karts for career mode would be a good idea, to start with some slow and easy stuff. Hahaha. Hah. Aha. :saddowns:

Drive the e30 :allears:

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Downloading for the PS4 now, I loved Forza 4 and was really disappointed with DriveClub, although I can't quite say why, so here's hoping this lets me get my race on. E30 fan also, so may start with that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Driveclub is a perfect compliment to PCARS.

Anyhow, yea I get some tearing and fps drops on Laguna Seca in the wet. It's not a deal breaker. What's annoying is this odd texture filtering issue that's really only apparent at slow speeds. Textures will crisp up like 8 feet in front of the car.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Driveclub is a perfect compliment to PCARS.

Anyhow, yea I get some tearing and fps drops on Laguna Seca in the wet. It's not a deal breaker. What's annoying is this odd texture filtering issue that's really only apparent at slow speeds. Textures will crisp up like 8 feet in front of the car.

Haven't noticed that yet. And for what it's worth, I had only (So far) raced California and noticed the tearing. Superkarts on a track (less scenery to draw) doesn't seem to have any tears...

[edit] Also SuperKarts seem fun, but man super sensitive on the stick steering.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

What's annoying is this odd texture filtering issue that's really only apparent at slow speeds. Textures will crisp up like 8 feet in front of the car.

Is this on console? One of the review sites said the console versions are only using something like 8x (or even just 4x) anisotropic filtering.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
AF on PS4 has always been pretty bad in a lot of games. Like just a few feet in front of you is this magic line drawing shadows/texture detail/etc.

it's pretty lovely sometimes.

[edit] Hilarious Superkart bug where in replays when far away your little hood scoop (the bump your steering wheel is coming out of) is on the left of the car and as you come closer to the camera it jumps to where it's supposed to be in the middle of the car. Hah.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 13, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was going to sell the game off after trying to play it earlier... then I gave these settings a shot:

quote:

Make these changes to controller input mode 3
Steering deadzone = 10
Steering sensitivity = 0
Throttle deadzone = 10
Throttle sensitivity = 20
Brake deadzone = 10
Brake sensitivity = 20
Speed sensitivity = 65
Control filtering sensitivity = 50
Advanced settings = off
Jesus, it's actually driveable now on a PS4 dualshock.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

BlackMK4 posted:

Games are really forgiving. Do it in an older Porsche, backwards before you know what happened. :)

e: I'm giving up on car games, no matter what I'm terrible because I can't feel what the car is doing.

Try an easier game like Driver San Francisco. More challenging than your normal arcade racer but not as punishing as a sim.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

BlackMK4 posted:

I was going to sell the game off after trying to play it earlier... then I gave these settings a shot:

Jesus, it's actually driveable now on a PS4 dualshock.

Try setting steering sens to 35, Deadzone to 5, filtering to 60, and speed sens to 60

That works wonderfully for me on control mode 2.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Fayez Butts posted:

Drive the e30 :allears:

Regarding the E30, I tried it once. Then things went bad.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
poo poo, i jumped right into the mclaren tonight (PS4, controller)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PERLgoLJxak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Finally got everything downloaded to the PS4. After a few practice sessions, minor car and controller tweaks, and a qualifier, this was my first Project Cars race.
Behold the multitude of bad decisions I made in my inaugural race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x13vlBXxzCo

I've never been so proud of a lovely video game race finish. This game is going to be so much fun.

• Locked thread