Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Share Bear posted:

despite tef's advice , ive started giving the most basic non-gotcha technical interview questions to our entry level hires because some people claim to know stuff and they don't! it's amazing

like just writing a c style for loop or python iterator and a SQL query and that's it!

my usual approach is to ask a couple technical questions that require technical knowledge but don't necessarily involve writing code on a whiteboard

stuff like "how do you guard against sql injection vulnerabilities?" or "why do you prefer framework x over framework y?"

if i ask any question about databases and they use the term "web-scale" i terminate the interview immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i just throw away any resumes that contain plangs.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

amazon just sent me their prep pdf for the collabedit call and i should just cancel it right now because i'm kidding myself

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

triple sulk posted:

amazon just sent me their prep pdf for the collabedit call and i should just cancel it right now because i'm kidding myself

how bad can it be

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

fritz posted:

how bad can it be

it's probably fine if you just got out of college but i have no cs background and cramming for something i'm going to fail seems like a waste of time. i'm also just incredibly depressed in general.

master of the sea
Apr 16, 2003

*skweeeeeee*
this thread was great before all the haskell husks showed up holy poo poo

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i don't ask the questions, i just answer them :shrug:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Valeyard posted:

I just killed my computer by trying to do a foldl on an infinite list, just to make sure it didn't work lol

Windows

[wandows starting intensifies ngrmadly]

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

triple sulk posted:

it's probably not as bad as you think it's going to be. the most advanced question I've asked in a phone screen is a graph traversal question.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
honestly if you fail the phone screen because of lack of cs trivia knowledge then it means your interviewer was bad and you should not worry about it.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i think the collabedit thing is coding up a solution to something while they watch

i know two twins that applied to amazon at the same time, pretty identical looking applications, one of them had to go up to edinburgh to code in person and the other done it via skype and screen sharing, i always thought that was weird

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
yes that's exactly what it is. sounds like one of those twins got to skip the phone screen -- someone refer her?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ryde posted:

it's probably not as bad as you think it's going to be. the most advanced question I've asked in a phone screen is a graph traversal question.

i don't know either of those algos and i don't know if i care enough to study them. that also might be because the position is where i'm moving and i'm gone after a year so tbh it's probably not a great idea to pursue it.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ryde posted:

yes that's exactly what it is. sounds like one of those twins got to skip the phone screen -- someone refer her?

nope, both of them just done it as a "lol probably not gonna happen but why not". weird

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

Do it anyways, you'll learn something and get some much needed practice. I didn't think I'd make and here am I sitting in Seattle :)

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

triple sulk posted:

i don't know either of those algos and i don't know if i care enough to study them. that also might be because the position is where i'm moving and i'm gone after a year so tbh it's probably not a great idea to pursue it.

dunno. you might be able to just reason through the algorithms in some cases. Using the graph traversal thing, I had a lot of candidates that obviously knew gently caress-all about graph traversal and started via a recursive method, and we reasoned through the approach to the problem through various means. Those candidates passed specifically because they knew gently caress-all about it but could put a passable effort into attacking the problem. you not knowing how to do a problem is a plus for a skilled interviewer since it means they get to witness you working through a problem rather than just vomitting up a memorized answer.

Anyway, there is no downside to just doing the interview. So I would do it for practice.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i would expect full credit for opening a browser tab and typing in "c# graph traversal"

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I just got invited to interview with AWS onsite but my wife said she's not moving to Seattle no matter what and then she said Jeff bozos can suck her dick... I would like to put Amazon on my resume even though I'd probably be taking a big ole pay cut

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
my go to when interviewing is asking about something in their cv and what went wrong with it.

intr: so you've mentioned angular in your cv, tell me about it
cand: <standard canned answer>
intr: and have you use it on a project?
cand: <talk non specifically about a project involving angular>
intr: how did that work out? did you run into any problems?

good cand: yeah, gently caress nested scopes and X we lost a lot of time to them, we also had a weird issue with Y because between versions the Z thing changed subtly and broke this and...
bad cand: nope no issues, it's really good.

works for every tech

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I tried to do something like that with somebody, but he spewed out so many words that I forgot my question and then the allotted time for the interview (which he was late to) ran out. So, good job, guy?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AWWNAW posted:

I just got invited to interview with AWS onsite but my wife said she's not moving to Seattle no matter what and then she said Jeff bozos can suck her dick... I would like to put Amazon on my resume even though I'd probably be taking a big ole pay cut

sever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

i would expect full credit for opening a browser tab and typing in "c# graph traversal"

the point of algorithm and data structure problems isn't to demonstrate that you can fetch a reference text

the goal is to show that you can talk through a problem while reasoning from first principles

this is also why it is cool and good to say "oh, this is a tree problem" but bad and stupid to have a canned solution

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I literally don't know the point of them. they are not ever relevant to work anybody does, unless you are literally being hired to develop a stdlib.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

it helps to understand some of that poo poo so you can recognize when to apply it to a "real world" problem such as enriching the wealth of the ownership class

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

then don't say "traverse this graph" because the question they'll actually have to answer some day is "look at this pile of poo poo and figure out how to tell us something meaningful about it"

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

at which point you'll realize oh this is a tree problem which is of the acyclic directed graph variety and direct deposit deece figgies into my count while I post on the POS

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
most of the grad job tests that they use as an initial screening are really fail, all those logic and reasoning things that make my thinkerbox hurt

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and hopefully you have accomplished that with libraries rather than wasting company time reimplementing stdlib functionality

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Bloody posted:

then don't say "traverse this graph" because the question they'll actually have to answer some day is "look at this pile of poo poo and figure out how to tell us something meaningful about it"

I'm obviously not describing the problem in great detail when I say "its a graph traversal problem." It is a problem where the solution involves traversing a graph. its just a way of summarizing the gist of a problem. its also just one of many interview questions, and the context is a phone screen not a full interview. You are being weirdly hyper-critical when all I'm doing is trying to do is tell triple sulk that the Amazon "study materials" make this poo poo seem harder than its likely to be. Unless he has a poo poo interviewer.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

all I know is everyone quits amazon in under a year so its probably a lovely place to work

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Bloody posted:

and hopefully you have accomplished that with libraries rather than wasting company time reimplementing stdlib functionality

Lots of languages are lacking standard graph libraries, though? AFAIK even "batteries included" python doesn't have one. Seems like a useful thing to at least sort-of know how to implement yourself.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Bloody posted:

all I know is everyone quits amazon in under a year so its probably a lovely place to work

Its a big company. It has teams that range from poo poo to great. My understanding is that most are in the poo poo category, but I haven't had the pleasure of being on any of those teams.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ryde good luck with your amazon interview. tell us how it goes!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

i reiterate: the goal is to talk about code, and demonstrate that you understand basic concepts

nobody expects you to implement a HashSet in your daily job, but talking about how to implement a hashtable is a really useful exercise for the sake of the talking

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you can't talk intelligently about the 20 line code passage on a whiteboard that reflects well-known concepts in the industry fuckin lol at talking to you about millions of lines of poorly-documented code in our legacy apps

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i talked to a dude from Amazon last year and told him I had heard a lot of horror stories about working there and he nervously laughed and said "well some teams are like that but mines real good" which makes me think everyone at Amazon has some severe Stockholm syndrome goin on

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you can't talk intelligently about the 20 line code passage on a whiteboard that reflects well-known concepts in the industry fuckin lol at talking to you about millions of lines of poorly-documented code in our legacy apps

why not just throw some undocumented trash code from one of your legacy apps at them and say 'wtf does this do' if that's what you really want from them

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like I once got a postcard at a job fair that was literally this. it was a completely undocumented java method that was a really bad implementation of... something, and they said "do you know what's wrong with this? email us." so I did and I got an interview (best interview ive ever had, their process was great), got an offer, laughed a lot, declined it, consulting should pay way more than they offered

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Valeyard posted:

most of the grad job tests that they use as an initial screening are really fail, all those logic and reasoning things that make my thinkerbox hurt

the interviews i had around graduation i felt were fair. mostly questions about common data structures, writing tests, and explaining my thought process while trying to solve some problem. i guess i lucked out and never had one of the crazy ones you read about on the internet.

the easiest interview i had by far ended up being at the company i work at now. the interview pretty much went down like this:

interviewer: so <my friend> referred you to me, he says that you are a pretty good programmer
me: well pretty much all programmers are terrible, so that's a low bar to clear
*30 minutes of us mostly talking about basketball and what my role on the team would be*
A week later I got an offer.

I guess the moral of the story: getting a job is not so much of what you know, but who you know and how likeable you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Papes posted:

I guess the moral of the story: getting a job is not so much of what you know, but who you know and how likeable you are.

thats pretty true

i'm still asking my programmatically manipulate the results of an easy as hell sql statement you have to write

not very glamorous like HEALTHCARE but it works

• Locked thread