Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Liver
May 4, 2009

For a fan project this looks really good, but like all fan projects it gets delayed until the end of time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

John Liver posted:

For a fan project this looks really good, but like all fan projects it gets delayed until the end of time...

It looks near complete though. It also reminds me of cognitive dissonance which I quite liked.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I love that Porky's Porkies theme in so many ways. It's a chiptune in a soundtrack that's developed well past that stage of electronic music; it features at least two, possibly three leitmotifs; and it's catchy as all hell. :allears: I believe I read that a lot of work went into getting all those old-school waveforms sound just right. I made it my default ringtone ages ago and have the full song on my phone; whenever it comes on during a music shuffle, I turn it up.

Also, it inspired this.

On a bleaker note, Flint's few lines to Lucas after learning the Masked Man's identity just about broke my heart in two. This is probably where the tears really started for me.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

NewMars posted:

It looks near complete though. It also reminds me of cognitive dissonance which I quite liked.

I can't really recommend CD for a variety of reasons. It was clearly a labor of love, but it also came off as a weird fannish yaoi thing in a lot of places. The weird dressed-as-an-earth-kid-with-Justin-Beiber-hair Giygas alien was just unnecessary. There's things to enjoy about it, and I actually got pretty far with it, but add aggravating grinding to a progressively ugh narrative and it turns into-- well. An ugh narrative with annoying 1990's JRPG mechanics that you can't mod away. You're just forced to deal with them.

tl;dr - there's clearly some animu poo poo going on with the Giygas aliens, there's no way to up the speed of the combat, or the painfully slow backtracking, and overall it degenerates into a big mess after a while.

Play at your own risk. It's easy to get sucked into at the beginning, but it's generally disjointed, and a little too holy poo poo anime for it to be anything other than interactive fanfiction.net style fanfic*. It definitely does not have the nuance that the Mother series is known for.

* EDIT: Keeping in mind that this is just my own opinion. The author certainly made a decent stab at the whimsical nature of the series, but, again, got a little too wrapped up in their own fannish tendancies for it to be all that compelling near the end. I've yet to finish it, and I'm not really sure that I'm ever going to.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 13, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

quote:

The fan translation team actually changed the sprites here. Those pencil and eraser statues were an octopus and a doll in the original Japanese version, like in MOTHER 2.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Oh, and some content: the Red Alice remix of Porky's Theme.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

The thing with these enemies is that in EarthBound, enemy types tended to share relatively generic overworld sprites (the diamond, for example, generally represented robots), and these are probably references to them.

However, because Mother 3 was much more thorough about enemy overworld sprites matching their battle sprites, these generic overworld sprites turn out to represent rather generic-looking enemies.

NewMars posted:

I'm pretty sure Mother 4 is planned to come out next month.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 13, 2015

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Old Boot posted:

I can't really recommend CD for a variety of reasons. It was clearly a labor of love, but it also came off as a weird fannish yaoi thing in a lot of places. The weird dressed-as-an-earth-kid-with-Justin-Beiber-hair Giygas alien was just unnecessary. There's things to enjoy about it, and I actually got pretty far with it, but add aggravating grinding to a progressively ugh narrative and it turns into-- well. An ugh narrative with annoying 1990's JRPG mechanics that you can't mod away. You're just forced to deal with them.

tl;dr - there's clearly some animu poo poo going on with the Giygas aliens, there's no way to up the speed of the combat, or the painfully slow backtracking, and overall it degenerates into a big mess after a while.

Play at your own risk. It's easy to get sucked into at the beginning, but it's generally disjointed, and a little too holy poo poo anime for it to be anything other than interactive fanfiction.net style fanfic*. It definitely does not have the nuance that the Mother series is known for.

* EDIT: Keeping in mind that this is just my own opinion. The author certainly made a decent stab at the whimsical nature of the series, but, again, got a little too wrapped up in their own fannish tendancies for it to be all that compelling near the end. I've yet to finish it, and I'm not really sure that I'm ever going to.

Was that before or after the 2.0 update? I remember a bunch of that stuff coming up, but not to the extent you're describing. For one thing, I found the beginning to be the worst part, with it getting better after you get the spaceship and can go around the solar system.

Also they just cannot get the Mr. Saturn's voices right, it's very sad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm kinda wary in general about Mother without Itoi, because Mother pretty much IS Itoi. Even if it gets the tone down, it's still gonna come off as a pale imitation of a quite unique man.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Come on guys, we already know that we are all playing mother 4 right now.
because mother 4 is real life. That should have been obvious but here we are with you reading the spoiler text.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mega64 posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: LISTEN TO THIS: :siren: :siren: :siren:
There's something really great about Polyanna. It's not quite as emblematic as "eight melodies", but I think the two really complement each other in conveying the mood of the series.

quote:

Even what's outside of the Absolutely Safe Capsule is absolutely safe.
Even *when*? *If*?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 13, 2015

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
It says right in the video on the website that they're aiming for it to come out in June

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bregor posted:

Also I did not see the Fassad-as-Magypsy twist coming
Probably because it's the only major plot twist in Smash Bros. Brawl that wasn't spoiled by trophy descriptions. I don't think Magypsies were mentioned at all in that game.

Mega64 posted:

And it serves as great background music for the following tour.

This is one of the best moments of Mother 3. Normally a scene like this would be thrown in just for fan service, but there's an actual plot reason for it.
Well, at least he's honest about the banality of his motivation behind the plot. Porky is this guy, except instead of murdering someone, he wants to destroy the world.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm kinda wary in general about Mother without Itoi, because Mother pretty much IS Itoi. Even if it gets the tone down, it's still gonna come off as a pale imitation of a quite unique man.
This is exactly why I have no interest in Mother 4. There is only one Itoi, and he's not interested in making another game in the series, so as far as I'm concerned, this series is over. You can try to imitate his style, but as we've seen in this LP, there's just so much attention to detail in his games that it's really difficult to do that.

By the way, Porky's Porkies is an 8-bit version of Mr. Batty Twist with Pigmask theme additions thrown into it for good measure, and the second part of Master Porky's Theme is a spin off of Monkey's Delivery Service in Chapter 3. Those last three boss tracks are something else.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 13, 2015

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

This is exactly why I have no interest in Mother 4. There is only one Itoi, and he's not interested in making another game in the series, so as far as I'm concerned, this series is over. You can try to imitate his style, but as we've seen in this LP, there's just so much attention to detail in his games that it's really difficult to do that.

Does that mean you shouldn't try though? I agree that it probably won't be exactly like the Mother series despite their efforts, but that's good in a way. I'd like to see someone else take a stab at something like this series. Itoi was great of course and if you're measuring it only to his standard, then no it definitely won't be as good. But that doesn't mean it can't be good or entertaining in other ways. Personally, I'm really looking forward to what they make. They've been putting in a ton of effort into it, and I'd like to see what sort of style it ends up being.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

This is the best way to approach full conversion mods, but I seem to remember there being at least one that got really close to the overall feel. I just can't remember the name. I know it started out with the kids in Halloween garb, but the only thing I can find for 'halloween mod' is that lovely 'trying to be Silent Hill' one, which... Wow.

P. sure goons LP'd both on youtube, but I can't find the links, and I can't be sure? The latter was definitely something.

EDIT: I'd be fine with chatting about this in a mod thread - I helped perpetuate it - but I feel bad for making the rebuttal I did in the first place and potentially creating a derail. PM me a spot that we can gab about it and I'll go with that. I think we can agree on letting this thread live a good life.

EDIT 2: VVVV ding ding ding VVVV

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 13, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If Mother 4 weren't called Mother 4, then I don't think we'd be having this discussion. As it stands it's just trying to fit its own brand of sequel madness into the official timeline and that comes off as kind of self-centered.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

By the way, Porky's Porkies is an 8-bit version of Mr. Batty Twist with Pigmask theme additions thrown into it for good measure, and the second part of Master Porky's Theme is a spin off of Monkey's Delivery Service in Chapter 3. Those last three boss tracks are something else.

Itoi said the lives we live after playing Mother 3 are the real Mother 4. In that respect, can we not say that the fangame is but a chapter in the true Mother 4?

Why yes I am smoking a bubble pipe with a contemplative expression, why do you ask

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Man, why isn't there another Mother?

I hear Mother 3 isn't anywhere near as popular in Japan as Mother 2/Earthbound was, so even if Itoi hadn't decided before the game came out that the series would end at 3, a sequel probably wouldn't get approved anyway.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I disagree. The Earthbound romhack Hallow's End does a fantastic job at capturing the same feeling and generally being just as witty or charming (for the most part; the third quarter and last 5% of the game are a steep dive in quality), and there are recent games inspired by Earthbound (such as Lisa and the yet-to-be-released Undertale) that manage to largely capture the feeling even if the devs have their own specific take on it. And from what they've shown of Mother 4 it certainly looks to be promising.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Good lord, just thinking about the Absolutely Safe Capsule TERRIFIES me. For all the over the top violence, gore, and grisly grim imagery a lot of games can come up with, the most chilling thought comes from a Nintendo game of all places. But the idea of being immortal but trapped in a tiny prison where you can't do or interact with anything runs shivers down my spine way more than any Mortal Kombat Fatality, Dark Soul's grotesque monster, or any other 'traditional' scary imagery.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Good lord, just thinking about the Absolutely Safe Capsule TERRIFIES me. For all the over the top violence, gore, and grisly grim imagery a lot of games can come up with, the most chilling thought comes from a Nintendo game of all places. But the idea of being immortal but trapped in a tiny prison where you can't do or interact with anything runs shivers down my spine way more than any Mortal Kombat Fatality, Dark Soul's grotesque monster, or any other 'traditional' scary imagery.

quote:

Porky still got what he wanted.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Honestly, I think one of the biggest takeaways from this is that Andonuts is kinda a vaguely unthinking jerk. Or possibly just a jerk.

Granted, I personally just got that vibe, to a lesser or greater extent, from every single plot-important thing he did in both games. Is that just me?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

SageAcrin posted:

Honestly, I think one of the biggest takeaways from this is that Andonuts is kinda a vaguely unthinking jerk. Or possibly just a jerk.

Granted, I personally just got that vibe, to a lesser or greater extent, from every single plot-important thing he did in both games. Is that just me?

I think that Dr Andonuts characterization is basically a reflection of how Itoi believes that scientists are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

In the beginning there was nothing, in the the end there was pork.
Seriously though, normally I would agree. In most scenarios this is one of the things that terrifies me as well, yet it was what he wanted and even now he's being juvenile about it. At the moment I just feel like it's just perfect for him.

Rolly rolly rolly is hilarious. :allears: We should add that as subtitle for Mega64's current avatar.

I think that the whole Flint angle could've been handled better. As it is, you don't see him at all after the first act where he was a very relatable character. Meanwhile, if you talk to the others enough you discover he's searching for Claus, who the player recognizes immediately when he first shows up as the masked man.
You never see him during the game, but then after beating the Porkies he just suddenly shows up?
As it is, I can respect him for trying to get his son alone and trying to be a good father. But I can't really feel anything for his quest, it feels like he didn't have quest at all.
I think that it might've been better if he'd joined up at some point or showed up so that you had an actual idea that he was making progress.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SageAcrin posted:

Andonuts making the Absolutely Safe Capsule and making sure it stayed immobile with no unlock or method for anyone inside of it to interact with the world is the best thing he could've done. Stuffing Porky somewhere he's not allowed to gently caress up the world even further is the best possible solution should no one want to take up the mantle of murdering him.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"I told him not to use the capsule. Whispered to him? Muttered to him? Somehow the words 'don't use the capsule' were said near him and for a guy who's soooooo great that should really be enough, shouldn't it?"

Andonuts, you bitter, bitter magnificent bastard.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Glazius posted:

"I told him not to use the capsule. Whispered to him? Muttered to him? Somehow the words 'don't use the capsule' were said near him and for a guy who's soooooo great that should really be enough, shouldn't it?"

Andonuts, you bitter, bitter magnificent bastard.

And then he follows it up with, "Oh, I kinda feel bad trapping him here for all eternity. Oh well, rolly rolly. :haw:"

I'm tempted to make a RPG Maker game that's about Porky's adventures in the Absolutely Safe Capsule. All you'd do is walk around in the thing, nothing else happens.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Genocyber posted:

I disagree. The Earthbound romhack Hallow's End does a fantastic job at capturing the same feeling and generally being just as witty or charming (for the most part; the third quarter and last 5% of the game are a steep dive in quality),
The main downfall of it is that the author failed to capture the 'downward spiral' that Mother games use to build tension leading to the final boss and rather than find one button to push really hard for that boss they spaz out and push so many buttons it just becomes sad.

In Earthbound the spiral starts with Onett being overrun with darkness and continues downwards as it turns out that not only is Giygas attacking from someplace incredibly remote, but from the past as well. And in order to travel back to defeat him they are forced to give up their lives as human beings to be turned into robots to survive the trip.
Then there is Giygas, the main villain where you would expect some questions to be answered considering he's been on the back burner the entire game but they're answered in a very specific way:
Who is Giygas? An evil alien bent on destroying the world as you know it.
What is Giygas? Giygas is alien. Completely Alien.
Why is Giygas bent on destroying the world/why does Giygas have such an intense fixation on Ness? Giygas is unfathomable. You cannot understand his motivations or anything else about him for that matter.

How are you supposed to beat him when he is completely alien and you cannot understand him in any way, shape or form? You can only hope and pray.

In Mother 3, the entire game is something of a downward spiral but really it starts when you go to Pork City and get to interact with Porky and figure him out a bit more.
He is childishly capricious and whimsical, shown in his decisions to remake the world, how he does so and the reasons for him doing so. He seeks attention and wants to be fawned over as shown by brainwashing people into being nice to him and praising him. Deep down he recognizes that he is not great and that he has seem someone who is, as shown by all the homages to Earthbound and Ness in particular. Ultimately he only cares about himself and satisfying himself. Satisfaction that is getting harder and harder to come by as he has traveled through time and space and lived for so long that he has seen so many things that he has to resort to even more drastic measures to satisfy his 'I want to be great! Greater than Ness! Greater than Ness ever could be!' dream.

How do you beat someone who is so childish yet holds so much power with no regards for anything but himself? Ultimately whatever you do to him is nothing compared to what he will do to himself.

That attention to detail and the unorthodox way Itoi handles the main villains is part of what makes Mother games unique.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

And then he follows it up with, "Oh, I kinda feel bad trapping him here for all eternity. Oh well, rolly rolly. :haw:"

I'm tempted to make a RPG Maker game that's about Porky's adventures in the Absolutely Safe Capsule. All you'd do is walk around in the thing, nothing else happens.

Can you even walk in there? I assumed the would so little space one could just sit or maybe lie down, rendered immobile - after all, if you could move, you could trip and hit your head.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

EponymousMrYar posted:

That attention to detail and the unorthodox way Itoi handles the main villains is part of what makes Mother games unique.
IIRC the main villain for Mother 1 was an abandoned child / pet, and you defeat it by awakening memories of the time it was loved.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh man I can finally post this. I'll find the video when I'm not on a phone data connection, but basically a current affairs program down here in Australia was doing a bit on slot machine, or "pokies" legislation in what I think is local slang? Either that or it's a common term and I'm a dickhead. I'm assuming they lazily googled "pokies music" and they somehow managed to wind up with Porky's Porkies playing throughout their lovely diatribe about slot machines. :haw:

Fake edit for more relevant content: This part of the game is amazing, the boat ride+Pollyanna is amazing, Master Porky's Theme is amazing (brawl is a piece of poo poo for spoiling all of this by the way. I mean hell, you weren't even supposed to know 100% that "king P" was Porky until like halfway through chapter 7), the upcoming segment is amazing, this whole game is amazing :allears: /gush

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

On one hand I get all the "spoilers!" talk about brawl because part of smash bros is trying to raise interest in the various nintendo series.
On the other hand it was spoiling a game that came out long enough back that it was on the previous generation of hardware.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Remember, Nintendo did not intend an English release of Mother 3. Yes, Brawl had spoilers for Mother 3. It was out for a while in Japan so those spoilers were moot. It was only really a spoiler for the translation project players.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

IAmTheRad posted:

Remember, Nintendo did not intend an English release of Mother 3. Yes, Brawl had spoilers for Mother 3. It was out for a while in Japan so those spoilers were moot. It was only really a spoiler for the translation project players.

Yeah, ok, but they practically went out of their way to provide endgame spoilers where other aspects of the game could have replaced them, which they didn't do for any other series (iirc).

e: With regards to that pokies thing, I originally got it from here: http://earthboundcentral.com/2011/09/mother-3-music-used-on-tv/, but I'm not sure if my phone's telling me tht the video's dead or just unsupported.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 13, 2015

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The funny thing is, living in Europe, Brawl ended up giving me spoilers for not just Mother 3 but Earthbound as well (at least as much as "Watch out for that Porky/Pokey guy, he's going to be a colossal arsehole").

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Paul.Power posted:

The funny thing is, living in Europe, Brawl ended up giving me spoilers for not just Mother 3 but Earthbound as well (at least as much as "Watch out for that Porky/Pokey guy, he's going to be a colossal arsehole").

Honestly, I feel like EB/Mother 3 would have been more spoiled for me if, instead of the main villain and penultimate boss, Brawl put in the exploding trees.

That's the best surprise in the series.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Xander77 posted:

quote:

Even what's outside of the Absolutely Safe Capsule is absolutely safe.

Even *when*? *If*?
Even what's outside of the Absolutely Safe Capsule is absolutely safe from what's inside the Absolutely Safe Capsule.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeah, ok, but they practically went out of their way to provide endgame spoilers where other aspects of the game could have replaced them, which they didn't do for any other series (iirc).

e: With regards to that pokies thing, I originally got it from here: http://earthboundcentral.com/2011/09/mother-3-music-used-on-tv/, but I'm not sure if my phone's telling me tht the video's dead or just unsupported.

Take it from a Fire Emblem fan, it's better to have a neat spoilery level than a bland lovely one.

"Oh, your endgame's on the back of a giant dragon? Here, have a generic arena."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just want to link this now Now that the Pollyana theme was shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hVuv7mDNqM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The next page has :siren: THE FINAL UPDATE :siren: so go read it already!

• Locked thread