Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This is hilarious considering the homo eroticism in this series.

I was going to say, his complaint about how NO ONE GIVES ORDERS TO MAX ? Uh, yeah except for the part where for 1/3 of the franchise he gets ordered around by Fifi the topless lord of leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-13/mad-max-film-premiere-road-convoy-in-central-sydney/6465890

Oh crap, why didn't I know about this sooner!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:black101: posted:

Standing in front of the Doof Wagon, a giant truck mounted with speakers and a guitar that shoots flames, actor Nathan Jones said the scale of the movie was "sheer epic".

"There were a few moments when I was caught on fire, the fuel line was spraying all over my body, the engine was red hot.

"They got me off the vehicle in time, nothing serious happened."

"The oil rig, it jack-knifed one time because they lost the steering and the brakes, the hydrolics failed, and we were travelling down the mountain ravines," he said.

"We had a stunt driver, he saved my life."

:stare:

Jesus christ, even making the movie was as metal as the movie

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Whyyyyyyy didn't I know and take the day off work to see the vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

mr.capps posted:

I would be fine if every action movie was feminist propaganda.

Whoa, you're like so progressive.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

am0kgonzo posted:

Whoa, you're like so progressive.

Its more I am tired of action movies being facist propaganda.

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib
I'm amazed how uniformly positive all the reviews have been. I really thought that the lack of exposition would be more divisive.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Nobody watches Mad Max for exposition. It's why Road Warrior is the most popular, and it's why Dredd was a hit. Sometimes you just need to see stuff blow up in a crazy setting.

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib
Oh, I'm not complaining - everything about the film sounds incredible.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Dredd was a hit?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Dredd was a hit?

Ummmm...... yeah, it kinda wasnt. Sure everyone that saw Dredd thinks its insanely great but three men and a dog in the theatre dont make it a hit. Maybe on BluRay it sold well?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

bottle 'em up for later consumption

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ponderous Saxon posted:

I'm amazed how uniformly positive all the reviews have been. I really thought that the lack of exposition would be more divisive.

Plenty of top movies of all time lists will have Yojimbo on there. :)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

victrix posted:

:stare:

Jesus christ, even making the movie was as metal as the movie

It sounds like some of those outtakes could've been used in the movie for how crazy they are. Guy gets set on fire by a flaming guitar? Oil rig truck jacknifes down a ravine?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Photos from the display in Sydney today for the premier. I found this posted on reddit: http://imgur.com/gallery/SrCm3

Also apparently they closed down the cahill expressway for a few hours to film a commercial for the movie, I guess it'll be on screens next week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sfHWSjq6-Q

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 13, 2015

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I can't believe that something so completely bananas-looking is getting such universal acclaim.

It's beautiful. :getin:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Make me laugh that one of the complaints about it is how Max isn't front and centre for the whole film. Which makes him beta? Somehow? I don't know how these people think, but it weeds out the fans who know he's always just been there in the wastes as opposed to some alpha mad bro hero type.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

ChogsEnhour posted:

Make me laugh that one of the complaints about it is how Max isn't front and centre for the whole film. Which makes him beta? Somehow? I don't know how these people think, but it weeds out the fans who know he's always just been there in the wastes as opposed to some alpha mad bro hero type.

They are a bunch of whiny idiots pinning for an mythical time.Don't bother thinking about it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

drunkill posted:

Photos from the display in Sydney today for the premier. I found this posted on reddit: http://imgur.com/gallery/SrCm3

Haha drat I love the engine shielding made out of license plates on that bike.

And I'm not sure which of the cars it is but I love that one of them has a pressed tin interior roof.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

ChogsEnhour posted:

Well, you see, he's the quintessential man's man and people tell him what to do and the don't tell this man what to do because he's a man and

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

drunkill posted:

Also apparently they closed down the cahill expressway (harbour bridge) for a few hours to film a commercial for the movie, I guess it'll be on screens next week.

Wait...is that a hot rod with a Chevy V8 with a giant turbo AND a supercharger? :wotwot:

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

sean10mm posted:

Wait...is that a hot rod with a Chevy V8 with a giant turbo AND a supercharger? :wotwot:

yeah twin turbos and instead of direct feed into cylinder or via an intercooler their output goes through long pipes into the supercharger's intake blower.

nimh fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 13, 2015

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Cat Terrist posted:

Ummmm...... yeah, it kinda wasnt. Sure everyone that saw Dredd thinks its insanely great but three men and a dog in the theatre dont make it a hit. Maybe on BluRay it sold well?

The Blu-ray sold pretty well thanks to word of mouth, so it made back 10 million on sales. It's far from a hit but the video carried it out of complete bomb territory. It also got a cult following thanks to being on Netflix for so long.

I mean for fucks sake there is still an active thread about it in CD

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

My local theater has one big screen and a bunch of smaller ones. Mad Max isn't going in the big one. They're betting on Pitch Perfect 2 instead. :argh:

Argy Bargy
Nov 11, 2012
The Dissolve just gave this an extremely rare 5-star rating.

http://thedissolve.com/reviews/1588-mad-max-fury-road/

I can't believe how positive the critical reception has been.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:fap:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm so glad this is turning out good. I got burned by Prometheus having such a pretty trailer that it gave me pause for any future awesome trailer.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

nimh posted:

yeah twin turbos and instead of direct feed into cylinder or via an intercooler their output goes through long pipes into the supercharger's intake blower.

MORE BOOST

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
It's in the trailer but spoilered anyway

:black101: :black101: :black101:

:allears:

"This is possibly the most feverishly insane contraption of them all. Warner Brothers calls it a “sonic carmageddon,” an apt description. This speaker-stacked, guitar-thrashed monstrosity was meant to rally the troops in the way drummers marched with soldiers in ancient battles. It has a supercharged V8 engine with a mobile stage, a wall of speakers and sub-woofers, and air conditioning ducts meant to drive home the beat of the accompanying Taiko drummers. The Doof Warrior swings from a bungee cord mounted to the front as he shreds metal while flames are thrown from a double-necked electric guitar. Somebody will definitely recreate it at Burning Man this year. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-12/every-killer-car-in-mad-max-fury-road-explained

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 13, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I can't wait to hear what he's playing on that thing.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

dreffen posted:

Well, you see, he's the quintessential man's man and people tell him what to do and the don't tell this man what to do because he's a man and

The reason I like the Mad Max character so much is because unlike other action characters, poo poo never seem to go his way, he gets beaten and battered time after time, but he always crawls back from the brink of defeat and just keeps on going and keeping his moral compass intact through it all.
In the beginnings of Mad Max 2 and 3 it shows him as merely existing, eeking out a survival any way he can, but despite defeats and setbacks he still has a fierce will to live. However once he gets a a purpose, or a shot at redemption by helping the weak againts the strong he becomes something more than just a survivor and an observer, he becomes nearly unstoppable, and a true hero. I really hope Miller follows this "formula" for the newest Mad Max movie, because to me, Mad Max isnt just about post apocalyptic vehicular mayhem, its also about personal strenght and the power of having a purpose in your life.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 13, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just saw it. Jesus loving christ. It's almost like abstract art, but with explosions.

Edit: I mean, gently caress me it's dope

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Just saw it. Jesus loving christ. It's almost like abstract art, but with explosions.

Edit: I mean, gently caress me it's dope

How many Mad Max: Fury Road's out of 5 would you give this movie?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

dreffen posted:

How many Mad Max: Fury Road's out of 5 would you give this movie?

It is impossible right now to imagine a better post apocalyptic film. Everything is amazing, from start to finish.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Dredd was a hit?

Yeah, I kinda realized what I posted but figured meh, gently caress it.

I meant it in the "cult following, well regarded and a fun movie" sense of the word. It's one of the best action films of the last 25 years IMO

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Dredd was a hit in that when people finally got around to seeing it when it was home media instead of theaters they realized how loving amazing it was.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Any word on whether I should pay extra for 3D on this?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Max22 posted:

Any word on whether I should pay extra for 3D on this?

All signs (including Miller's own words) seem to suggest 2D is actually the preferred way to see it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

jeeves posted:

Dredd was a hit in that when people finally got around to seeing it when it was home media instead of theaters they realized how loving amazing it was.

Yeah, exactly. I've shown it to a bunch of friends and no one has disliked it yet.

Fury Road seems to be like 10x the movie, though. Goddamn, I can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It is impossible right now to imagine a better post apocalyptic film. Everything is amazing, from start to finish.

Good to know!

• Locked thread