Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DoggPickle posted:

Having babies is the ultimate self-centered thing you could ever do in your life. You're saying "My genes are so AWESOME, there should be MORE of ME!!! :dance:" So yeah, I kinda resent the self-centered comments. Why the hell should I care if you want to make more copies of you? Why is that SACRED? It's the most ego-centric action possible in life!

I too hate my selfish, egotistical parents. And don't even get me started on the black hole of ego that was my Great Grandmother. loving meglomaniac has like half a dozen great-great-grandchildren running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

DoggPickle posted:

Because it's a life choice that you should save up for and plan.It's not a freak accident or a death of another person that you have no control over. A lot of couples buy houses too. Should you get extra pay or leave in order to do that? My dad died while I was at work. I took a half-day off. I already had my own house and if I didn't work, it wasn't getting paid for. My mom died on Christmas, so lucky me, I didn't need to take off work for that one. I did have to sell my car to pay for the funeral expenses and the two extra houses and two extra cars that I suddenly owned 5 days before all the mortgages/payments were due.

I can't believe I just wrote that.I think it was the dad death thing. In any case, life kicks you in the teeth inevitably and you make it work, because you have planned for it ahead of time. You have never bought a single soda or any drink in a bar, and you drive the cheapest car you can find and pay a redneck in beer when it breaks, you pack your own lunches, you do favors for friends so they do favors for you and it costs you nothing, you buy used furniture and pick up stuff from the thrift store, you make a week's meals on $8 by making stew or spaghetti, and you sweat all summer and freeze all winter so you can keep those electrical pennies piled up. You get your TV through an antenna, have a 30 year old microwave, and wash your car in the rain, and never miss a day of work or do anything but work loving hard in your whole life. If you haven't, then honestly I really have no sympathy (other that super-freak crazy expensive accidents or medical crap). Do you want to take a vacation to Italy? Then you save up for three years and you save your vacation days and you go. Why is choosing to have a baby any different? In any case, I'm out because I pulled the dead parents card, and I really don't want to read the replies because I will probably lose my poo poo. I think a bunch of you don't know how the world actually works. I'm not some simpleton who doesn't understand Social Security, I just truncated the main points .And in fact, I'm an incredibly happy and fun person who sees beauty and joy in almost everything, every day. This (short) life is all we get, and I would like to play it as fun as I can. If I could have some impact on the future - sure I'd try, but that's impossible, so it is a pointless waste of time.

Having babies is the ultimate self-centered thing you could ever do in your life. You're saying "My genes are so AWESOME, there should be MORE of ME!!! :dance:" So yeah, I kinda resent the self-centered comments. Why the hell should I care if you want to make more copies of you? Why is that SACRED? It's the most ego-centric action possible in life!

I really like the Show btw. I just disagreed with this one segment.

Peace.

:lol:

The Something Awful forums still pull through.

e: Life is beautiful and short, therefore gently caress your crotchspawn, you moochers!

Also nice to invoke your dead mother in your stupid selfish argument. I'm sure that when she was finished pushing you out at your birth she thought "Thank god I am not entitled to any paid maternity leave with my new son, for I am surely getting exactly what I deserve."

How are u fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 12, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
reddit.com/r/childfree strikes again

much like public healthcare, only in america do these beneficial programs get bat around in moral and regressive terms.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 12, 2015

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

DoggPickle posted:

Peace.

Wow!

Are you ok? If this is a personal issue for you, maybe you shouldn't discuss it as political policy? Because you're really starting to come off as someone who can't have her own babies, and has grown bitter at other people just because they're able to reproduce. I really hope I'm wrong here, but surely you can see how one might get this impression from that post?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dreylad posted:

reddit.com/r/childfree strikes again

much like public healthcare, only in america do these beneficial programs get bat around in moral and regressive terms.

Don't worry, people are working very hard to drag other wealthy democratic nations down to our level.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DoggPickle posted:

Because it's a life choice that you should save up for and plan.It's not a freak accident or a death of another person that you have no control over. A lot of couples buy houses too. Should you get extra pay or leave in order to do that? My dad died while I was at work. I took a half-day off. I already had my own house and if I didn't work, it wasn't getting paid for. My mom died on Christmas, so lucky me, I didn't need to take off work for that one. I did have to sell my car to pay for the funeral expenses and the two extra houses and two extra cars that I suddenly owned 5 days before all the mortgages/payments were due.

I can't believe I just wrote that.I think it was the dad death thing. In any case, life kicks you in the teeth inevitably and you make it work, because you have planned for it ahead of time. You have never bought a single soda or any drink in a bar, and you drive the cheapest car you can find and pay a redneck in beer when it breaks, you pack your own lunches, you do favors for friends so they do favors for you and it costs you nothing, you buy used furniture and pick up stuff from the thrift store, you make a week's meals on $8 by making stew or spaghetti, and you sweat all summer and freeze all winter so you can keep those electrical pennies piled up. You get your TV through an antenna, have a 30 year old microwave, and wash your car in the rain, and never miss a day of work or do anything but work loving hard in your whole life. If you haven't, then honestly I really have no sympathy (other that super-freak crazy expensive accidents or medical crap). Do you want to take a vacation to Italy? Then you save up for three years and you save your vacation days and you go. Why is choosing to have a baby any different? In any case, I'm out because I pulled the dead parents card, and I really don't want to read the replies because I will probably lose my poo poo. I think a bunch of you don't know how the world actually works. I'm not some simpleton who doesn't understand Social Security, I just truncated the main points .And in fact, I'm an incredibly happy and fun person who sees beauty and joy in almost everything, every day. This (short) life is all we get, and I would like to play it as fun as I can. If I could have some impact on the future - sure I'd try, but that's impossible, so it is a pointless waste of time.

Peace.

I wanna have this post's babies :allears:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

I wanna have this post's babies :allears:

Good luck Rarity I hope you have a doublepost! :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

Good luck Rarity I hope you have a doublepost! :3:

Deadpool won't let me take a break from making OPs though :sigh:

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

DoggPickle posted:

Peace.

Holy gently caress, I don't like kids, but that's just nuts..

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

So tell me - honestly - how does supporting more paid maternity leave actually HELP ME or the planet? Why is it "good"? Why would I want that? I think your answers have been mostly really trite and silly. Why would I vote for something that makes my working life harder? I think your suggestions that NOT doing it is making women have to choose between being moms or working is ridiculous. You can be a mom AND work. Everyone I know does. After the horrifying physical effects have worn off, why the hell should they get to stay home and get paid while the other people in the office (or whatever) cover for their lazy asses? That is in effect, perpetuating the stereotype that women need to stay home with their babies. It's doing the exact opposite of what you're saying. It's keeping moms HOME instead of at work.

Frankly, kids need more time away from their stupid helicopter parents these days anyways. (sorry got a little Off-topic, but even my own friends piss me off now. Let the kid BE ALONE for two seconds, JESUS)

The point of Maternity/Parental Leave isn't about being lazy and collect money while doing nothing. It's part job security, knowing that after so-and-so months of caring for and bonding with your newborn child, that you'll have a job to come back to and that your employer can't just outright fire you for daring to procreate. It's also very much about providing some stability and security in the most important year of a human being's life, their very first living year on this planet. Babies need a lot of care, attention and safety, a steady income provides this. And I don't know how it is over there, but around here we usually hire a temp while someone is on maternal/paternal leave, if spreading the workload out between the coworkers is too much work for the others. Adding in a paternal leave in the mix will help alleviate the common "women should stay home, fathers work" stereotype, because they'll pick up some of the slack of caring for the newborn too. Besides, bonding between father and child when the child is still a baby is also incredibly important.

And while having babies is, in theory, a choice, there's a non-zero chance of getting pregnant when you have sex even with birth control, unless one of the two is sterilised. Getting an abortion is not only a difficult personal choice, but is also incredibly difficult in some societies because it's forbidden/a massive social taboo/so on

ulvir fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 12, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Don't worry, people are working very hard to drag other wealthy democratic nations down to our level.

don't I know it!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Look all I'm saying is having Children is a privilege that should only be enjoyed by the rich. The genes of the poor should be allowed to die out naturally.

I don't get why people are so angry about that.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fans posted:

Look all I'm saying is having Children is a privilege that should only be enjoyed by the rich. The genes of the poor should be allowed to die out naturally.

Lack of extraordinary benefits hasn't stopped the poor from breeding like rabbits. Quite the opposite, actually (its almost like poor people make bad decisions hmmmm).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We should create a "birthing license" and have people apply for the privilege of having kids. The state will pay for the medical bills and 6 months of support for the family, but having a pregnancy without a license lands you in prison. This way we can prevent outright undesirable people from filing the world with their lovely crotch-spawn and give parents time off for having kids. It's a win/win.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
If there's anything recent events have taught us, its that the poor do a pretty good job of thinning out their own ranks, so, really, your proposal is a tad superfluous.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Still a long way to go until we reach America's level of non-existent health care and worker rights.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

If there's anything recent events have taught us, its that the poor do a pretty good job of thinning out their own ranks, so, really, your proposal is a tad superfluous.

Joe is correct, these proposals are kind of out there and unworkable given that selfish poors keep having children. But what we really haven't discussed that it is a melancholy object to those who walk through this great town or travel in the country, when they see the streets, the roads, and cabin doors, crowded with beggars of the female sex, followed by three, four, or six children, all in rags and importuning every passenger for an alms. These mothers, instead of being able to work for their honest livelihood, are forced to employ all their time in strolling to beg sustenance for their helpless infants: who as they grow up either turn thieves for want of work, or leave their dear native country to fight for the Pretender in Spain, or sell themselves to the Barbadoes.

I think it is agreed by all parties that this prodigious number of children in the arms, or on the backs, or at the heels of their mothers, and frequently of their fathers, is in the present deplorable state of the kingdom a very great additional grievance; and, therefore, whoever could find out a fair, cheap, and easy method of making these children sound, useful members of the commonwealth, would deserve so well of the public as to have his statue set up for a preserver of the nation.

But my intention is very far from being confined to provide only for the children of professed beggars; it is of a much greater extent, and shall take in the whole number of infants at a certain age who are born of parents in effect as little able to support them as those who demand our charity in the streets.

I have been assured by a very knowing Rarity of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled ...

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

IRQ posted:

I have been assured by a very knowing Rarity of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled ...

This is America we're talking about, not Ireland. The babies will be deep fried.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Irish Joe posted:

Irish Joe you used to be so entertaining. You're just lazy these days. It's sad. You're a sitcom three years past it's prime. But there's no one to cancel you. You're just going to go on and on.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

This is America we're talking about, not Ireland. The babies will be deep fried.

Only if you're a dummy without access to a good smoker.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gyges posted:

Only if you're a dummy without access to a good smoker.

Well, that's up to the mother.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OhYeah posted:

Still a long way to go until we reach America's level of non-existent health care and worker rights.

And light years away from embracing real football. The One True Sport. Well, that and hockey. Actually, I like hockey more..... Light years away from embracing ice hockey. The One True Sport.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Irish Joe you used to be so entertaining. You're just lazy these days. It's sad. You're a sitcom three years past it's prime. But there's no one to cancel you. You're just going to go on and on.
So basically the Simpsons, then?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

This is a deplorable appropriation of our cuisine. Every Brit knows the only true way to have a child is marinaded in BBQ sauce with a garlic garnish.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Well this discussion came to it's logical conclusion.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
On more positive news, John's interview with Pepe Julian Onziema just won the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Talk Show Episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3deUBcUylI8

Arus
Aug 23, 2003

Well, at least we can all sleep soundly knowing she isn't going to reproduce.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

DoggPickle posted:

Frankly, kids need more time away from their stupid helicopter parents these days anyways. (sorry got a little Off-topic, but even my own friends piss me off now. Let the kid BE ALONE for two seconds, JESUS)

Yeah those drat helicopter parents won't just leave their newborns to fend for themselves.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joose Caboose posted:

Yeah those drat helicopter parents won't just leave their newborns to fend for themselves.

Excuse me I have to do all this angel dust and play world of warcraft this loving kid needs to entertain itself.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rarity posted:

This is a deplorable appropriation of our cuisine. Every Brit knows the only true way to have a child is marinaded in BBQ sauce with a garlic garnish.

Brits wouldn't know proper BBQ sauce if it slapped their mum and belittled the monarchy. Say what you want to about any regional sauce/rub other than your preferred region, it's got to be better than whatever monstrosity passes for BBQ sauce in the UK.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010

DoggPickle posted:

Peace.

well you're not wrong

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

DoggPickle posted:

Peace.
Here I hope this poem helps you

What Work Is
Philip Levine

We stand in the rain in a long line
waiting at Ford Highland Park. For work.
You know what work is—if you’re
old enough to read this you know what
work is, although you may not do it.
Forget you. This is about waiting,
shifting from one foot to another.
Feeling the light rain falling like mist
into your hair, blurring your vision
until you think you see your own brother
ahead of you, maybe ten places.
You rub your glasses with your fingers,
and of course it’s someone else’s brother,
narrower across the shoulders than
yours but with the same sad slouch, the grin
that does not hide the stubbornness,
the sad refusal to give in to
rain, to the hours of wasted waiting,
to the knowledge that somewhere ahead
a man is waiting who will say, “No,
we’re not hiring today,” for any
reason he wants. You love your brother,
now suddenly you can hardly stand
the love flooding you for your brother,
who’s not beside you or behind or
ahead because he’s home trying to
sleep off a miserable night shift
at Cadillac so he can get up
before noon to study his German.
Works eight hours a night so he can sing
Wagner, the opera you hate most,
the worst music ever invented.
How long has it been since you told him
you loved him, held his wide shoulders,
opened your eyes wide and said those words,
and maybe kissed his cheek? You’ve never
done something so simple, so obvious,
not because you’re too young or too dumb,
not because you’re jealous or even mean
or incapable of crying in
the presence of another man, no,
just because you don’t know what work is.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was reading through 5 pages waiting to respond to DoggPickle in a reasonable way, but gently caress that, I'm not even gonna try anymore.

Good luck America. Your country is completely hosed and with so much opposition to making it better I don't know how the hell you are going to dig your way out of it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Modern American society is the poster child for why too much individualism can be a bad thing. Suddenly, everyone in this country got to where they are through hard work, careful planning, and sacrifice with no help from a government or their community. At best their family and friends helped them and perhaps even their church but no larger human endeavor has ever contributed positively to their life or current state of well being. Being aware that the sweat of their brow is the only assistance on a long march to success they are understandably skeptical of people who have not reached the same lofty position. Surely they must be lazy and selfish to be living so low after so long. How could any fool possibly have a family or be stricken with an illness without delicately arranging their entire life to accommodate such a burden? Only the idiots and the shiftless could be so dull and irresponsible. Knowing the truth about the world how could I possibly condone giving such dregs assistance which will only encourage further poor decision making and will be paid with my own hard won gains.

This loving country. Clearly we need to start forcing Candide down every kids throat because the just world fallacy refuses to loving die.

Every single proposal to improve the lives of the poor and middle class in this country is met with resistance and that resistance always circles back around to the belief that people suffering are doing so because somehow they deserve it. How the gently caress is this so prevalent? How?

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 13, 2015

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Having children is selfish?! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The fetishization of struggle by people living in this country will never not be weird.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

I had no idea that some people have such strong feelings about having kids and paid maternity leave. Wow. It still surprises me that in the year 2015, there are still people who think like this.

Anyway, I enjoyed Oliver's last two episodes. Laughed a lot at the Venezuelan PM and his mangoes. I was hoping more from Oliver about the UK Elections. I thought that was going to be his main topic. Were the media talking about the UK election results a lot? Could be why he didn't focus on this much.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
nobody will have sex with me so I say any sex-havers deserve to be punished

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I would argue not having children is selfish. You are basically saying you are too good and important to spend time caring for another human being. Parenthood is defined by putting the needs of your child above your own, resisting the basic human compulsion to reproduce is inherently selfish but whatever you need to tell yourself I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

agatona posted:

I had no idea that some people have such strong feelings about having kids and paid maternity leave. Wow. It still surprises me that in the year 2015, there are still people who think like this.

Anyway, I enjoyed Oliver's last two episodes. Laughed a lot at the Venezuelan PM and his mangoes. I was hoping more from Oliver about the UK Elections. I thought that was going to be his main topic. Were the media talking about the UK election results a lot? Could be why he didn't focus on this much.

The entire Bugle podcast was about the elections if you want more Oliver on the UK elections. Honestly though it's a bit dense to follow other than they're quite upset about the results.

• Locked thread