Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

So how many states have had full cannabis legalization bills leave committee?

vvv duh, it's still a step in the right direction

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aliquid posted:

So how many states have had full cannabis legalization bills leave committee?

Those bills are going nowhere.

Texas will legalize weed after the Federal government legalizes.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

zoux posted:

Those bills are going nowhere.

Texas will legalize weed after the Federal government legalizes.

Nah we will legalize it to spite the federal government. We're Texas. We do want we want.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

VitalSigns posted:

I'm going to give Perry the benefit of the doubt and assume he means "accusing the army of plotting a coup is insane and an insult to servicemembers" and not "the military can do no wrong, ever".

No the prevailing thought is that the military can do no wrong, ever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Cancel Daylight Savings Time bill failed in the House just now :negative:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That's a bummer.

On the plus side, at least they legalized weed.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

What's wrong with Daylight Saving Time?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Nick Soapdish posted:

What's wrong with Daylight Saving Time?

How's your pre-electricity farming-centered community doing?

From the future that rest of us inhabit, it's easy to say that getting hosed over by your requirements seems a bit unfair.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

zoux posted:

The Cancel Daylight Savings Time bill failed in the House just now :negative:

was it going to standardize in spring/summer or fall/winter time?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

spoon daddy posted:

Fall/winter. And the bill was even amended to rename it Texas Standard Time smfh.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spoon daddy posted:

Fall is standard time so probably that.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Did anyone offer any reasons why they opposed it?

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

computer parts posted:

Fall is standard time so probably that.

Then gently caress that noise. I hate going home in the dark and really enjoy extra hour of light in spring/summer

edit: I am cool with a non changing clock just a permanently forward clock

spoon daddy fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 8, 2015

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

We should just split the difference and standardize it to that. be 30 minutes off from everyone else

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

We should just split the difference and standardize it to that. be 30 minutes off from everyone else

It works for Nepal.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Glad to see the ledg taking up the critical issues:

quote:

House Bill 1514, which would add a special label to the health insurance cards of people receiving financial assistance under the Affordable Care Act, tentatively passed the Texas House on Friday afternoon.

Roughly a million Texans with government-subsidized health coverage could see a new label on their health insurance cards, and critics say the designation is akin to a “scarlet letter.”

But instead of Hester Prynne’s infamous “A,” insurance cards for Texans with coverage under the federal Affordable Care Act would bear the letter “S,” for subsidy.

Supporters of House Bill 1514 by state Rep. J.D. Sheffield, R-Gatesville, say it’s necessary to standardize insurance cards and clarify the type of health coverage a patient has.

The House will take up the legislation, which easily passed out of the Insurance Committee, on Friday.

Doctors’ groups say the bill would also help physicians “remind the patient about the importance of continuing his or her portion” of payments toward the health insurance premium, said Sara Austin, an Austin-based neurologist, in written testimony in favor of the bill.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

In other mean-spirited legislation, the House is gonna pass a bill banning local governments from following the Supreme Court's ruling allowing gay marriages when it comes down.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/anti-gay-measure-set-to-pass-in-texas-house

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Brand it on their foreheads and hang mirrors in the voting booth so they can be reminded where their health insurance comes from in every election. And so they realize whom Republicans mean when they campaign on throwing the moochers off the government tit.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trabisnikof posted:

Why are they bothering? The net effect will be for insurers to have to reissue cards. Nobody looks at the things and they already have a bunch of crap on the front people don't understand like RxPCN so nobody but people who work with them will get the meaning anyway. And they won't care because insured patients beat sliding scale patients for profitability.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It looks like the Lege will also overturn Austin's income discrimination ban for housing. It passed the Senate a while ago and it's been moving through the House pretty fast these last few days. :smith:

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 14, 2015

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

As much as I hate the current legislature anything that pisses off people from Austin is probably a good law

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Randandal posted:

As much as I hate the current legislature anything that pisses off people from Austin is probably a good law

Agreed it's definitely a good thing that people with Section 8 vouchers can now be rejected by a landlord again just because they're paying with Section 8.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Badger of Basra posted:

Agreed it's definitely a good thing that people with Section 8 vouchers can now be rejected by a landlord again just because they're paying with Section 8.

To be fair: by all accounts the city voucher program is an absolute clusterfuck to deal with and this was a way to force participation without having to actually fix all the problems with it. It evidently takes a week or two to get approval and that's a big ask when the landlord could otherwise have a tenant take possession and start paying rent right away.

Still a huge loss to have it overturned. I didn't shed many tears over the landlords complaining about having to get the units inspected, etc.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Randandal posted:

Yeah gently caress the poor that will really stick it to those yuppie hipster assholes.

E: oh didn't realize it was the racist pizza delivery boy, I guess hating on people on assistance is an end in itself here

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Randandal posted:

get hosed

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Randandal posted:

How's Midland treating you?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I like it when people seem to recognize the conservative policies they support are horrible, so they justify it to themselves not on the merits of conservatism because there aren't any, but "well liberals are just so smug and superior so you see I really only vote for racism, classism, and homophobia because liberals have such an attitude problem that I can't support them."

No sorry, you're a conservative and you like conservative policies. No one supports policies they dislike just to get even with those irritating hipsters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Randandal posted:

Spoiler, the people being hosed here aren't actually loving the bougie white hipsters gentrifying neighborhoods.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I rather like Austin, don't care if people are offended by that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So tonight is the House deadline for [procedural stuff that you don't care about anyway] that means that midnight tonight is the last day for House Bills to get passed. There are 71 bills on the calendar before the anti-gay marriage bills so the House D's are chubbing like crazy. Tune into the stream and watch the circus: http://txlege.texastribune.org/livestream/

It is my personal opinion that at some point one of the 4105 authors will pull the bill from the calendar so that half the bills in front of it don't die, but we'll see.

Oh and hey we're out of exceptional drought for the first time in three years :unsmith:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Oh and hey we're out of exceptional drought for the first time in three years :unsmith:

All that had to happen was flooding Houston. Let's make it a 5-year tradition.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I'll say. It 's been raining here in Austin for almost a week straight now. Today's rain only let up about half an hour ago.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And it isn't over. There's a strong chance of rain basically every day in the next 10 somewhere in the state.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Which means it's constantly humid and I'm pretty much melting 24/7.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

In other mean-spirited legislation, the House is gonna pass a bill banning local governments from following the Supreme Court's ruling allowing gay marriages when it comes down.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/anti-gay-measure-set-to-pass-in-texas-house

How the poo poo does something like this even work? Man I really hate Sharia law.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Parachute posted:

How the poo poo does something like this even work? Man I really hate Sharia law.

Don't worry, that's the bill that's currently being chubbed to death. Right now TMF is holding forth on the history of VRA litigation against Texas.

The house has a 10 minute limit on all actions. So like, questions on the bill: 10 minutes. Amendments, 10 minutes each. There are 71 bills between the bill they are on now and 4105, so if they just took the allotted 10 minutes per bill on questions that would take 11 hours, and at midnight, this poo poo is done. Nothing is impossible but it is looking increasingly unlikely that it's going to get passed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

I imagine they'll try to penalize the first clerk who follows the Supreme Court's ruling, and then that penalty will get rather quickly tossed by various judges.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Don't worry, that's the bill that's currently being chubbed to death. Right now TMF is holding forth on the history of VRA litigation against Texas.

The house has a 10 minute limit on all actions. So like, questions on the bill: 10 minutes. Amendments, 10 minutes each. There are 71 bills between the bill they are on now and 4105, so if they just took the allotted 10 minutes per bill on questions that would take 11 hours, and at midnight, this poo poo is done. Nothing is impossible but it is looking increasingly unlikely that it's going to get passed.

also now in the age of televised debate which is being actively followed it doesn't seem like they are able to use the old trick of unplugging the clock at 11:58 and working until 3AM while pretending it isn't midnight yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

also now in the age of televised debate which is being actively followed it doesn't seem like they are able to use the old trick of unplugging the clock at 11:58 and working until 3AM while pretending it isn't midnight yet.

Well that poo poo only really works to pass a bunch of consent bills past the deadline. If someone raises an honest-to-god point of order then that's gonna be it, regardless of the clock. Of course, the chair could rule that we are going by El Paso time....

The House just took up TMF's minimum wage reso and it was instantly point of ordered, see if they uphold it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

zoux posted:

Thanks for the breakdown, that clears up some of that procedural stuff up for me.

PostNouveau posted:

I imagine they'll try to penalize the first clerk who follows the Supreme Court's ruling, and then that penalty will get rather quickly tossed by various judges.

Yeah that's kind of what I figured, especially since the judges are already seeing the writing on the wall in regards to the national legalization of gay marriage.

It's so stupid/insane that on one hand there is legislation to override a larger governing body's ruling (gay marriage) but at the same time pushing other legislation to override a smaller governing body as well (local municipalities and frac-ing).