Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any browser recommendations or should I just use the default? I have had Firefox for a while, but it's crashing a lot lately. I forget why I stopped using the default. I tried to find Chrome, but there apparently isn't a chrome android app.

You should be able to find Chrome, but I've been using Lightning Browser for a little bit. It's light and fast if you are looking for something to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

That's...approaching fine, but I need more hours. Something in the twelve hour range would be excellent.

Check out WeatherBomb. Very detailed hourly forecast graph widgets are available. The app itself is pretty fun, too, if you are into weather.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions for something that'll put my N5 on vibrate-only to a set schedule? I'd whip something up in Tasker, but something neater (and ideally that works alongside Lollipop's 'interruptions' thing, so calls from VIPs get through with sound) would be great.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

spincube posted:

Any suggestions for something that'll put my N5 on vibrate-only to a set schedule? I'd whip something up in Tasker, but something neater (and ideally that works alongside Lollipop's 'interruptions' thing, so calls from VIPs get through with sound) would be great.

Llama

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any browser recommendations or should I just use the default? I have had Firefox for a while, but it's crashing a lot lately. I forget why I stopped using the default. I tried to find Chrome, but there apparently isn't a chrome android app.

I've used chrome. It's right there in the store; I have no idea what you're doing wrong.

That said I prefer Firefox.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Which of the three podcast apps in the thread title will let me download podcasts while the app is minimised and add my own files? Used to have Downcast on ios and it didn't let me do either of those two things. Real annoying have to keep the app open to download poo poo particularly when your internet is slow as heck.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Chrome is in the Play store, works well and has the ability to Chromecast any video you play.

I use the nightly preview version of Firefox, which is not in the store, but has a few nice additional features, related to reading list, sharing, and most recently - background opening of tabs from any other android app! This is amazing.

Only thing I hate about Firefox on Android is that the default zoom gesture (double tap and slide up/down) is not implemented.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

krampster2 posted:

Which of the three podcast apps in the thread title will let me download podcasts while the app is minimised and add my own files? Used to have Downcast on ios and it didn't let me do either of those two things. Real annoying have to keep the app open to download poo poo particularly when your internet is slow as heck.

Pocket Casts.

http://www.shiftyjelly.com/support/pocketcasts#115

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Sweet, thanks

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

krampster2 posted:

BeyondPod will also

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

krampster2 posted:

Pretty sure that you can add files in Podcast Addict as well.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I started using Google Play Music today and when adding songs from my computer to my library (using Chrome) I added multiple times the same folder, now I have a "Added 0 of 'Lots of songs' "

Is there any way to stop the upload ? I can't even see what it's uploading :psyduck:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone else use Gmail for a non-Google IMAP account that has folders? Often the app doesn't notify me of emails that get filtered to these folders, only ones that go to the root/inbox folder. Any ideas?

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!

hooah posted:

Does anyone else use Gmail for a non-Google IMAP account that has folders? Often the app doesn't notify me of emails that get filtered to these folders, only ones that go to the root/inbox folder. Any ideas?

I use it for Outlook. I don't have that problem, but Gmail does seem to fail in deletion a lot. I get notifications for emails I already deleted a few times.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ZZZorcerer posted:

I started using Google Play Music today and when adding songs from my computer to my library (using Chrome) I added multiple times the same folder, now I have a "Added 0 of 'Lots of songs' "

Is there any way to stop the upload ? I can't even see what it's uploading :psyduck:

It doesn't do any harm to let it finish generally since google will de-dupe but if you're using the browser can't you just close it?

E: as far as I know it won't do anything with non-audio files, either.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Is there a preferred widget suite out there? I am looking for a widget that will list my (chrome) bookmarks. The official chrome bookmarks widget gives too much screen space to each page. I just want a compact list. Working on nova launcher would be nice. I'm willing to change the browser, though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there an app that makes Android behave sort of like Beamer for Mac/Apple TV? I can drag a video file to Beamer and it'll play instantly on my Apple TV. Is there a combo of apps I can snag that will mimic that behavior between a Mac and an Android phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Is there an app that makes Android behave sort of like Beamer for Mac/Apple TV? I can drag a video file to Beamer and it'll play instantly on my Apple TV. Is there a combo of apps I can snag that will mimic that behavior between a Mac and an Android phone?

Not that I know of but a Chromecast is $30 and will probably be way better than a hacky solution unless I'm mistaking you and you're looking to take a file on the Mac and have it appear on the Android in which case you're going to need to explain the use case a little better.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

LastInLine posted:

Not that I know of but a Chromecast is $30 and will probably be way better than a hacky solution unless I'm mistaking you and you're looking to take a file on the Mac and have it appear on the Android in which case you're going to need to explain the use case a little better.

Yeah, only have the video appear on my phone. So, say I have a movie on my computer, but I want to watch it on on my phone from the bed. I'd like an app for my Mac that I can drag the video to and then (assuming) it'd play on my phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, only have the video appear on my phone. So, say I have a movie on my computer, but I want to watch it on on my phone from the bed. I'd like an app for my Mac that I can drag the video to and then (assuming) it'd play on my phone.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use Plex or some kind of home media server software? I'm not sure why you'd need an app to "toss" it on the Mac when you could just share the folder on your network and browse to all your files on the phone.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ohvee posted:

Pretty sure that you can add files in Podcast Addict as well.

Podcast Addict was the only one of the three that would properly handle the OPML file I was emailed after purchasing classic Hardcore History shows. Maybe a niche case but it is the Best podcast player... For fans of Dan Carlin.

noirstronaut posted:

Plex is going to be the easiest way to do this. You can watch from the nu3DS' browser too. In case you'd rather watch things in compressed 240p.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

hooah posted:

I know I had to set up notifications for my emails that skip the inbox and just get a label instead. Maybe this is different though.

Could be worth checking the label settings just in case.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Zom Aur posted:

I know I had to set up notifications for my emails that skip the inbox and just get a label instead. Maybe this is different though.

Could be worth checking the label settings just in case.

But I can't find any settings about labels for my school account?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Microsoft has their cool Hyperlapse technology in an Android app now:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107281233348849000203

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

But I can't find any settings about labels for my school account?

Thats because it only works for the gmail account, you cant do labels on imap or pop.

I have the same problem and as far as I can tell there is no way around it

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skarsnik posted:

Thats because it only works for the gmail account, you cant do labels on imap or pop.

I have the same problem and as far as I can tell there is no way around it

*sigh* Well, back to two email apps as long as I'm TA-ing, I guess. Thanks for the information.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Long shot request: Does anyone have a recommendation for a student/client tracker for attendance and payment history? Other features I'm looking for include spreadsheet export, notes for event/class, per-client notes, and no requirement to add students to phone contacts. I teach DUI & substance abuse education classes with a constantly-changing roster and already track my own session history with Gleeo or Time Recording Pro. Device is Note 3 w/ Lollipop 5.0.

I planned to cobble together (or alter) a Google Sheets or LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet for this, but I now wonder if there's an app I'm overlooking before I attempt to reinvent/hotwire the wheel.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a way to make apps go into, what I'm reading is called "Immersive Mode"? Essentially, I'm playing Broken Age but it still displays the navigation bar and I'd like it to...not do that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a way to make apps go into, what I'm reading is called "Immersive Mode"? Essentially, I'm playing Broken Age but it still displays the navigation bar and I'd like it to...not do that.

Yes, although it requires root. I'm surprised CM doesn't have that built in as I'm pretty sure GravityBox did.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

LastInLine posted:

Yes, although it requires root. I'm surprised CM doesn't have that built in as I'm pretty sure GravityBox did.

Ah, found it. I was looking for something titled immersive, but it hid behind expanded desktop. Thanks!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Can anyone recommend a good location based alarm? I saw a few on the store but I was wondering if there's a standout.

Bus route is changing next week and I want to make sure I don't miss the new transfer point.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Is there any way to put an app icon in the middle of the top row in Nova Launcher 4? The remove icon "X" symbol always gets in the way.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

docbeard posted:

Can anyone recommend a good location based alarm? I saw a few on the store but I was wondering if there's a standout.

Bus route is changing next week and I want to make sure I don't miss the new transfer point.

Google now reminders can do that, but not sure if it would be quick or accurate enough for a bus route without hammering the gps

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

Is there any way to put an app icon in the middle of the top row in Nova Launcher 4? The remove icon "X" symbol always gets in the way.

Make it six columns then place it then change it back to five?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Skarsnik posted:

Google now reminders can do that, but not sure if it would be quick or accurate enough for a bus route without hammering the gps

Google Now does this automatically for my bus route to work and it doesn't seem to eat any extra battery.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

lordfrikk posted:

I'm assuming you don't have a search bar?

Try putting it anywhere in the top row, then move it again and without taking it out of the top row, put it on the center spot.

Alternately, since this is 4.0, pull it from the drawer or the widget menu and put it down as you like; it should use the small version of the launcher, which doesn't put the X in your space.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Hopefully I'm phrasing this correctly.

I use Hangouts for text messaging with my wife because our buildings have terrible reception but ever-present WiFi. Ever since the Lollipop update, it seems that I only get Hangouts messages from her when I actually open the app, wherein the messages begin showing up.

On mobile data or on my home wifi (and probably every other network), it acts as normal (meaning my phone would buzz when she would message me whether the screen is on or off). Now, I can't even check the notification bar up top to see if she's messaged me something. I have to open the app, open her message, and then the messages will pour in. Strangely, they'll have the original time stamps for each message. To her, this obviously comes off like I'm ignoring her, though I've convinced her that something's messing up.

I would guess that when my screen turns off, the WiFi turns off as well, and coupled with the terrible reception, Hangouts doesn't fetch my messages until I open the app and it "pushes" for them. I can't seem to find anything in the Hangouts app that would allow me to change this, but I have enabled the option to keep wifi on when the phone sleeps. Shouldn't messages be coming through anyway?

What's the deal?

Kameh fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 15, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Are you using a task killer or battery saver or any kind of nonsense like that? If so, turn it off.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

butt dickus posted:

Are you using a task killer or battery saver or any kind of nonsense like that? If so, turn it off.

No, nothing like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Do you get other notifications? Send yourself a gmail with the screen off and you can narrow it down to Hangouts or the phone/wifi settings.

• Locked thread