Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

HGH posted:

Also, is Doremy supposed to be a tapir?

A baku, so basically yes. (Baku are tapir-like youkai that have shown up in a few things - think Drowzee and Munna from Pokemon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

leather fedora posted:

I think the comic hinted in a chapter or two that Kasen believes her missing arm is in the outside world, so that motive seems more likely.

She specifically tells Mamizou that she went outside "to look for something", so yes, that's almost certainly it.

I've been half-assed translating ULiL recently, and as far as I can tell, the plot is basically that Kasen manipulated events to give herself an excuse to break the barrier and go outside, while simultaneously redirecting everyone's attention to an external enemy. Sumireko is just a stupid teenager who's being manipulated, although Kasen didn't expect her to have actual psychic powers. Mamizou caught on to Kasen's plan, and convinces Kasen to let her in on it as a co-conspirator. Kasen is quite villainous here, with lines like "if you value your life, you'll forget you saw this and go home."

But they also realize that Sumireko is just a patsy, so they come up with this convoluted plan to get her to stop without hurting her, before Reimu realizes that the Lunar Capital occult ball is also dangerous and interferes and blah blah blah. It's pretty complicated for a Touhou plot.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Touhou is deep

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I wanna see some terminator 2/byakuren crossover art now

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Using a slightly fuller rear end, I think I misunderstood something. Sumireko acted on her own, Kasen just took advantage of the confusion. Kasen had a plan to trick Sumireko into entering Gensokyo "properly", which I misunderstood as tricking her into entering at all. So no mastermind Kasen! But she still went outside to look for her arm, probably. And totally broke the barrier.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, It's weird that Touhou is beginning to have a stronger continuity and stuff. I mean, in a way it always has with IN partially being caused by the barrier weakening in PCB, but now ULiL is seemingly closely related to one of the manga's, and Sumireko is even tangentially related to the Music CD's. Which is something I never thought ZUN would address.

It's not really a bad thing. Like, I didn't much care for Mamizou in TD but she's had pretty consistent appearances in comics and games since then and has become super rad, but it's not something i'd expect out of Touhou. It seems like Zun is kind of changing his approach to story in these games, but the game's still remain great fun and if anything I think the character writing's gotten better. It's just kind of weird.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I just wanna say that I'm absolutely loving Moe's artwork in ULiL. It's great.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

the wildest rear end posted:

There are a few bugs in the Touhou 15 trial. This is one of the more amusing ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okSJWabn1Oo

Actually this is the sort of thing Marisa would do.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
...Is that the memory eraser from Men in Black?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Is that an MiB neuralyzer?

Hello, crazy calling!

Holy poo poo, I hope Terminatrix Byakuren becomes a thing, like Evil Overlady Miko.
EDIT 2: Dr. Sunshine, could you please do a "Come with me, Kyouko, if you want to live," scene?

EDIT: VVV YESSSSS

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 12, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yes, it's the neuralyzer, and it actually comes up in the plot too, when someone asks her to erase someone's memories. She can't, it's just cosplay.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Her occult theme is literally "Men in Black" of course it's the neuralyzer, would you expect any different??

Every character kind of grabbed onto an Urban Legend and uses it as a theme for their occult attacks and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure this got talked about before but sure here it is again:
Reimu is themed after the same thing that Yukari is based on, the Gap Woman. A lady lives between gaps for some reason. She likes watching you.
Marisa has a large grab-bag of school-related Urban Legends, but her last word is based off of Hanako of the Toilet.
Ichirin has Hasshaku-sama, which is basically Japanese Slender Man. Started on the internet and everything.
Futo is Banchou Sarayashiki, which is pretty much just a ghost story. It involves plates.
Miko has "red and blue mantle" which is a really specific urban legend about a dude that lives in a toilet stall and then asks if you want red or blue toilet paper. Either answer is wrong.
Byakuren has the Turbo Hag. An old lady runs past you at high speed on the highway and taps on your window. If you notice her, you get in a car crash. Here this means she rides a motorcycle (???)
Mamizou I just talked about.
Nitori is just rockin' the loch ness monster.
Koishi is Ms. Merry's Phone Call, which is a spoooky caller and then you die because she stabbed you!!!!!
Kokoro is themed after a kuchisake-onna proper.
Kasen has the Monkey's Paw, which isn't really an urban legend so much as it is just a short story, but okay whatever.
Mokou is Spontaneous Human Combustion. This one is extremely obvious. Her last word is literally just blowing herself up.
Shinmyoumaru is Little Green Men. The classic aliens. She uses green-painted inchlings though. Her last word is making a big one with the mallet.
Sumireko's, as far as I can tell, is end of the world scenarios. Y2K, 6/6/06, 2012, The Rapture, all that kind of thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Marisa has a large grab-bag of school-related Urban Legends, but her last word is based off of Hanako of the Toilet.

Her urban legend is "The Seven Mysteries of the School", which is a single legend that contains seven parts.

It's kind of worth noting that the characters are just choosing these legends. They aren't like, possessed or anything. Marisa chose something that was easy to use, Koishi wonders if she should change hers because no one in Gensokyo knows what a phone is so it doesn't work, Mokou has no idea what's going on but is always on fire anyway, etc. Oh yeah, and Nitori thought relying too much on something unscientific like an urban legend was a bad idea, so she just built a robot that looks like Nessie.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like the urban legend Ichirin chose, because it is kind of similar to the type of Youkai Unzan was. :3:

No idea, why Miko chose her urban legend though. Seems kind of unrefined.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SyntheticPolygon posted:

No idea why Miko chose her urban legend though. Seems kind of unrefined.

Unrefined? Dude, did you see how snappy that suit is? Probably some hand-tailored stuff, that is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Unrefined? Dude, did you see how snappy that suit is? Probably some hand-tailored stuff, that is.

Her interpretation of it is snazzy as gently caress, but the urban legend is apparently about some dude in a toilet who offers you red or blue toilet-paper to use before killing you a different way depending on your answer.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Clarste posted:

Koishi wonders if she should change hers because no one in Gensokyo knows what a phone is so it doesn't work

Oh no, Hatate should look out.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Is it me or did Hatate start getting a ton of fanart this year?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

the wildest rear end posted:

I just wanna say that I'm absolutely loving Moe's artwork in ULiL. It's great.

Agreed.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I actually like the tone of Miko here- drat right you're gonna take TP seriously:

Marisa's 'EEEEHHH?!' face is also gold:

And finally, some more awesome Biker Byakuren:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Since this page seems to be dedicated to posting our favourite ULiL character portraits. I think I should share a few.

"Come at me Bro!"

And Mamizou is without a doubt the shadiest-looking Touhou.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Edit: Huh, I swear these images were not broken when I posted them. Oops. :shobon:

Removing the broken links to make this page less messy.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 13, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Since this page seems to be dedicated to posting our favourite ULiL character portraits. I think I should share a few.

"Come at me Bro!"

broken links

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

"Come at me Bro!"

There ya go

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hey so the FMW4 trial was Pretty drat Good. I'm still recording the new music, but here's the spoilers.

The game is great, and jumps right into the action. The difficulty is a nice step up too from the latter half of FMW3's stomp.

Music:

Lighting Fish
Colorless Blade
Get Angry!! (short)
Bottled Sheep - Fall Asleep

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 13, 2015

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Tenshi and OC touhou's themes are absolutely fantastic. The wait for the full game is gonna be so painful but so worth it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ain't Shiro supposed to be sealed away somewhere? Or is there possibly more than one voice in people's dreams.

Also, i'm a little disappointed Suika doesn't show up as part of SWR and gain a full moveset. :(

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Aaaaand Hertz Devil already cracked the game. Turns out a lot of future stuff is already in the game's code! Most notably:

quote:

Unused event tables for stage 59 and 60 exist. Apparently, the player fights Nue in stage 59; Alice, Medicine, and Yuuka in stage 60.

The player team table contains the following entries:
- Stage 61: Nue, Medicine, Kogasa
- Stage 62: Shikieiki
- Stage 64: Satori, Koishi
- Stage 65: Mima
- Stage 67: Byakuren, Yukemo, Shinki (this probably means the player will get two Devil Recitations)
- Stage 68: Yorihime, Toyohime, Reisen II
- Stage 69: Hisoutensoku (its sprite appears in stage 57)
- Stage 73: Yuuka (I would be really glad if the entire GSW is longer than even SRW F.)
Moreover the following alternate unit forms are unlocked on stage 61:
- Lily Black;
- Sanae with Kanako, Sanae with Suwako, and an unknown form;
- Nazrin (w/ Pagoda);
- Shou (w/ Pagoda);
- Two alternate forms of Nue.
Reisen II also has an alternate form. There is no further information on her apart from these references.

Also apparently Aya and Hatate have a combination attack (Double Spoiler), as does Team 9 (Team 9 Special).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ronpaulitshappening.gif

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RIP possibility of the TD crew showing up, or playable Grimoire-Alice. Though she could still be a boss I guess. But on the other hand, Hell Yeah, playable Hisoutensoku and Moon-Reimu. Some of the new forms sound pretty interesting as well, I don't get how Sanae apparently has a 3rd unknown form when everything else seems to be in there but maybe that's incomplete or something.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Poor timing given that an actual character with the exact abilities of this fucker right here was introduced at the same event huh

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
I'm going to be mad as heck if Utsuho doesn't get an alternate form without her cannon so I can use her super wimpy moves from that one level.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
How's Tenshi statwise?

Also I wonder if they'll release a compilation game after all's said and done.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
That's a pretty Touhou design for the OC, actually. It's not bad.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Is it just me or is Tenshi's theme taking some cues from Black Stranger? I can definitely hear a similar bass riff at the beginning.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Exterminate the youkai

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AweStriker posted:

Is it just me or is Tenshi's theme taking some cues from Black Stranger? I can definitely hear a similar bass riff at the beginning.

Not just you. Most of the songs in FMW take riffs off some SRW songs while remixing the character's theme.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

RIP possibility of the TD crew showing up, or playable Grimoire-Alice. Though she could still be a boss I guess. But on the other hand, Hell Yeah, playable Hisoutensoku and Moon-Reimu. Some of the new forms sound pretty interesting as well, I don't get how Sanae apparently has a 3rd unknown form when everything else seems to be in there but maybe that's incomplete or something.

Ehh this isn't that surprising. The bulk of the game's plot was probably at least drafted at the very start of the series, back in FMW1. At that time UFO was the newest Touhou game.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 13, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'd comment on all this cool news but I just beat the 15 trial and holy poo poo my fingers hurt so much oh god stage 3 is loving disgusting
So word of advice but don't use your pinky for the focus button.
I think I need to assign a button to focus+fire at the same time or something.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I use my ring finger for focus, middle finger for shoot, and index finger for bomb. It's served me well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

I use my ring finger for focus, middle finger for shoot, and index finger for bomb. It's served me well.

What? Index finger for anything other than shooting is just wrong and unacceptable. :colbert:

Dr Pepper posted:

Not just you. Most of the songs in FMW take riffs off some SRW songs while remixing the character's theme.

Ehh this isn't that surprising. The bulk of the game's plot was probably at least drafted at the very start of the series, back in FMW1. At that time UFO was the newest Touhou game.

I know, but you can't tell me that literal Evil Overlord Miko would not be a perfect fit for a SRW fangame.