Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Just put up two back-to-back episodes of Breaking Spines covering the same book. First, I looked at the supposed classic Gothic romance "The Time of the Hunter's Moon" by Victoria Holt. Then, I looked at the Reader's Digest Condensed Book version of the supposed classic Gothic romance "The Time of the Hunter's Moon" by Victoria Holt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Another victim of slumping ad revenue. It seems that The Blockbuster Buster is in trouble :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBSEGQTK9yc

BBB has never been a favorite of mine, but he's OK and I've watched his stuff irregularly. At first I didn't like his videos, but later on came to like them; his voice and appearance just can't be helped. But it sucks that he can barely even make it now.

Regardless of Erod's relationship with CA, this makes their past & present callousness concerning ad breaks and Patreon look as unkind as ever, and the general unawareness of this really boils my noodles. :mad:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kenny Loggins

Don't be hating on K-Log :colbert:

He made a really good theme song for Caddyshack 2. You can actually enjoy it more than the movie!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Remember when Doug was offering $100 for cover art? He upped it to $300 now. Clearly this has some nefarious meaning that shows how much of an rear end in a top hat he is.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 12, 2015

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Remember when Doug was offering $100 for cover art? He upped it to $300 now. Clearly this has some nefarious meaning that shows how much of an rear end in a top hat he is.

It's still massively undercharging for what he wants, and still basically spec.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
And has only come when people called him/the company out on it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldMemes posted:

Don't be hating on K-Log :colbert:

He made a really good theme song for Caddyshack 2. You can actually enjoy it more than the movie!

Hey, I'm not hating on anyone; just saying, Kenny Loggins must have been the most prolific soundtrack guy in the decade where that was the going trend.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mraagvpeine posted:

You seem awfully defensive of CA.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yeah, he's still an rear end in a top hat. Rather than, you know, commissioning an artist he's doing this contest bullshit or whatever.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'll agree that I don't like what CA did to producers like JO and Lupa, and NC videos can be groan worthy at times, but it just seems like people in the thread have to harp on every negative aspect they find. Like, I get it that they did awful things (or in Doug's case not stop them), but I find that unless it's something truly egregious and terrible it's not really worth talking about. This recent one with the cover art, I honestly don't care. So they want some pretty art and are willing to pay people for it, whatever, it's not like someone is getting hurt or abused because of it. But people here just seem to make it more serious than it needs to be.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 13, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ema Nymton posted:

Another victim of slumping ad revenue. It seems that The Blockbuster Buster is in trouble :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBSEGQTK9yc

BBB has never been a favorite of mine, but he's OK and I've watched his stuff irregularly. At first I didn't like his videos, but later on came to like them; his voice and appearance just can't be helped. But it sucks that he can barely even make it now.

Regardless of Erod's relationship with CA, this makes their past & present callousness concerning ad breaks and Patreon look as unkind as ever, and the general unawareness of this really boils my noodles. :mad:

Can't he get on the Patreon train? Or does CA not allow that?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'll agree that I don't like what CA did to producers like JO and Lupa, and NC videos can be groan worthy at times, but it just seems like people in the thread have to harp on every negative aspect they find. Like, I get it that they did awful things (or in Doug's case not stop them), but I find that unless it's something truly egregious and terrible it's not really worth talking about. This recent one with the cover art, I honestly don't care. So they want some pretty art and are willing to pay people for it, whatever, it's not like someone is getting hurt or abused because of it. But people here just seem to make it more serious than it needs to be.

Maybe we just like having fun at other people's expense and the indignation brought up over it adds to the entertainment?

Basically I'm saying take it easy.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

My guess as to the still rediculously low price range is because Doug and many others for that matter are too used to the DeviantArt comission system where they pay technically higher rates to help support their title card artists. But when it comes to professionally done artwork, the really good kind, they're still mind of stuck in the mindset that the rates they give are somehow still good enough.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
You're probably right. He did say that back when he was an illustrator years ago, he would have loved a hundred dollars for his art.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Speaking as a professional illustrator, this is part of a general trend of really lovely treatment of artists on the part of people wanting art, and it's REALLY difficult to get paid a living wage for my work when people get used to the idea that, say, $100-300 is a decent price for a high-quality piece on a for-profit enterprise.

So, y'know, at least to me it IS that bad. They're basically hoping they can get some bargain price art by conning people who might not know what their work is worth.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Puppy Time posted:

Speaking as a professional illustrator, this is part of a general trend of really lovely treatment of artists on the part of people wanting art, and it's REALLY difficult to get paid a living wage for my work when people get used to the idea that, say, $100-300 is a decent price for a high-quality piece on a for-profit enterprise.

So, y'know, at least to me it IS that bad. They're basically hoping they can get some bargain price art by conning people who might not know what their work is worth.
Then in your opinion, what should be the going rate for a high-quality art piece that would compensate the artist at a cost-of-living wage?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Actually that is something I would really like to know. A relative of mine has done commissions for a few gamers and I never really figured out how she should price things from now on.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Benny the Snake posted:

Then in your opinion, what should be the going rate for a high-quality art piece that would compensate the artist at a cost-of-living wage?

At the very least-- the number of hours it takes to complete and deliver the piece * the minimum wage. That piece is going to take 10-20 hours, at least. Not counting for time spent designing, going back-and-forth on plans, incorporating client changes, etc. That rate can go up dramatically depending on the complexity, timeline, and skill-level of the artist. They want a two week turnaround from a professional, for a detailed piece. $50-$100 / hour is not unheard of. They should have just put up a posting saying "send us your portfolio. We'll commission an artist we like, and negotiate a rate". And then put aside up to $2k for the piece.

But $100?!?

Would you do whatever work you do, at a skilled, professional level, for $5-$10 / hour (before taxes)?

Would you do all that work for the CHANCE to be paid $5-$10 / hour for it? Keep in mind, if 100 other people apply, you only have a 1/100 chance of actually getting paid.

So would you do 20 hours of labour, for a 1% chance to maybe be paid half-to-a-third of minimum wage in most places?

(By "you", I mean the generic You, not Benny the Snake specifically).

And would you do it for a company that brought in $90k for the express purpose of paying to produce new products?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, a good deal of the price is based on length of time, materials, etc., but I'd say $1000 would be a start for a realistic, high-detail piece. (This is pretty low for such a thing, but a lot closer to reasonable than a few benjamins that aren't guaranteed.)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I can't imagine a lot of professional artists are fans of the show or know enough about it to produce something for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And yet they are asking for professional portfolios and expecting Drew Struzan style artwork.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

lornekates posted:

I get you. Personally speaking though, I have no frame of reference for freelance work so I was going in this completely ignorant. But yeah, even *I* could tell that the powers that be at Channel Awesome were criminally under-charging the artist.

And you know what? Doug's an artist, too! He should know better than to lowball an artist so much. This makes it official, Doug walker is a straight-up a hostile an exploitive employer, him and his brother Rob and that other chucklehead Mike.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 13, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Also the money should be something like this, something upfront to ensure the artist can eat and then like many others said negotiate from there with portfolio, interviews and all that junk. Actually how much of an artist was Doug? I only remember that he did freelance journalism before going full time comedy reviews.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jim Stirling's got a new Squirty Play up. This sure is something.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know there was an Ask/Tell thread a while ago about artists taking commissions but it went into the abyss pretty quick when they talked about having to draw all kinds of fetish stuff and how at a point, regardless of the money, they had to say no.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Tracula posted:

I know there was an Ask/Tell thread a while ago about artists taking commissions but it went into the abyss pretty quick when they talked about having to draw all kinds of fetish stuff and how at a point, regardless of the money, they had to say no.

Yeah, there are people out there who will throw ridiculous amounts of money at artists if it means they can get their fetish drawn. I remember having a discussion with a friend about how the furry fandom have people that spend ludicrous amounts of cash for furry art.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Can't he get on the Patreon train? Or does CA not allow that?

Well, yeah, a big part of the video was promoting his Patreon, he shows a screenshot of it being at $25 (it's gone up to over $600 now). Though it doesn't look like he really gets what Patreon is. He compares it to Netflix for some reason. Also, he seems to have screwed up his rewards/goals : https://www.patreon.com/Erod

Also, his video mentions people have left CA because the ad revenue was drying up. Uhm, bullshit much ? Unless he's confusing Blip with Channel Awesome. (To be fair, I have seen people confuse the two, just not actual producers on the site.)

Edit : He did mention being up for 48 hours before filming that video, so maybe I could cut him some slack.

Bad Wolf fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 13, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know Spoony claimed part of the reason he had no trouble parting ways was because if he looked at his hits, CA was really giving him no extra ad revenue. The vast majority of his hits were from his own site. But that's the only time I can think of that someone said something like that.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jsor posted:

I know Spoony claimed part of the reason he had no trouble parting ways was because if he looked at his hits, CA was really giving him no extra ad revenue. The vast majority of his hits were from his own site. But that's the only time I can think of that someone said something like that.

Not saying you're wrong but can you cite this? I thought the biggest part of him leaving was his whole emotional meltdown and all.

He seems to be doing fine enough with his (dwindling) Patreon good for him but I worry about guys who live on Blip like SFdebris. In his case Youtube has poo poo on him so many times I worry what'll happen when Blip eventually goes the way of the dinosaur/Revver. Although checking his Patron he's making about $3.2k a month so that makes me feel a bit better about his prospects.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tracula posted:

Not saying you're wrong but can you cite this? I thought the biggest part of him leaving was his whole emotional meltdown and all.

He seems to be doing fine enough with his (dwindling) Patreon good for him but I worry about guys who live on Blip like SFdebris. In his case Youtube has poo poo on him so many times I worry what'll happen when Blip eventually goes the way of the dinosaur/Revver. Although checking his Patron he's making about $3.2k a month so that makes me feel a bit better about his prospects.

He did actually say exactly that in a blog post or video, I remember seeing it too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
SF Debris will survive no problem. He uses blip, yes, but he gets paid in advance for his videos like commission work. And I've said before! He charges quite a bit per episode. So that's a lot of money up front as well as any additinal ad revenue he can get. Plus, you know, he actually has had jobs outside of internet videos (k he was a teacher? Or a child services employee?)

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

lornekates posted:

At the very least-- the number of hours it takes to complete and deliver the piece * the minimum wage. That piece is going to take 10-20 hours, at least. Not counting for time spent designing, going back-and-forth on plans, incorporating client changes, etc. That rate can go up dramatically depending on the complexity, timeline, and skill-level of the artist. They want a two week turnaround from a professional, for a detailed piece. $50-$100 / hour is not unheard of. They should have just put up a posting saying "send us your portfolio. We'll commission an artist we like, and negotiate a rate". And then put aside up to $2k for the piece.

But $100?!?

Would you do whatever work you do, at a skilled, professional level, for $5-$10 / hour (before taxes)?

Would you do all that work for the CHANCE to be paid $5-$10 / hour for it? Keep in mind, if 100 other people apply, you only have a 1/100 chance of actually getting paid.

So would you do 20 hours of labour, for a 1% chance to maybe be paid half-to-a-third of minimum wage in most places?

And would you do it for a company that brought in $90k for the express purpose of paying to produce new products?

I think it's time we face facts that the 90K was never really going to go into making new products. That was lining pockets are used to cover something else. With that "gameshow" they released, even their claims of 47K are completely bogus.

Benny the Snake posted:

I get you. Personally speaking though, I have no frame of reference for freelance work so I was going in this completely ignorant. But yeah, even *I* could tell that the powers that be at Channel Awesome were criminally under-charging the artist.

And you know what? Doug's an artist, too! He should know better than to lowball an artist so much. This makes it official, Doug walker is a straight-up a hostile an exploitive employer, him and his brother Rob and that other chucklehead Mike.

I'd love to see Doug try to backpedal his way out of this. Doug even has to know that his artwork (from what I have seen) is nowhere near the level of a Struzan, and yet he gives the excuse the he would have killed for $100 of his art. Most of the time Doug tries to go the "I'm just an entertainer" line to distance himself from CA drama. He's just as culpable as Mike and Rob on this one.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Did Doug really at any point imply that he wanted art of Struzan-level quality, or art with composition in the classic Struzan style? (the style exemplified by the Indiana Jones posters)

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DStecks posted:

Did Doug really at any point imply that he wanted art of Struzan-level quality, or art with composition in the classic Struzan style? (the style exemplified by the Indiana Jones posters)

He didn't mention quality, just a vague mention of wanting artwork to be "like Drew Struzan".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Compendium posted:

Yeah, there are people out there who will throw ridiculous amounts of money at artists if it means they can get their fetish drawn. I remember having a discussion with a friend about how the furry fandom have people that spend ludicrous amounts of cash for furry art.
I feel bad for artists like this because that's probably a good way to make money, but then everyone probably thinks you are into the fetishes you are drawing (even if you say "I'm just an artist doing commissions, not into this poo poo") and how people will judge you for it. I mean if I had any artistic ability at all I would try getting into that because people into weird poo poo usually have disposable income to satisfy their weird fantasies.

TheMaestroso posted:

He didn't mention quality, just a vague mention of wanting artwork to be "like Drew Struzan".
I imagine he probably wants something like the Kickassia cover which I still have the DVD for sadly.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Tracula posted:

IIRC, it was in the first part of his commentary on To Boldly Flee.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SF Debries begins a look at The Twilight Zone: Where Is Everybody

And put away your Twitter account for about a month, we got a new Feminist Frequency: Jade from Beyond Good and Evil

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BigRed0427 posted:

SF Debries begins a look at The Twilight Zone: Where Is Everybody

And put away your Twitter account for about a month, we got a new Feminist Frequency: Jade from Beyond Good and Evil

I liked it. :downs:

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
New Baywatching! Eddie is accused of statutory rape. Hilarious!
http://phelous.com/2015/05/14/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-trophy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Miss Wallace posted:

New Baywatching! Eddie is accused of statutory rape. Hilarious!
http://phelous.com/2015/05/14/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-trophy/

:stare: Never thought this show would (badly) tackle loving statutory rape.

Great video as always.

• Locked thread