Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Guys go easy on franbunny, she' clearly suffering from mental illness and needs help that she isn't getting :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
If this game goes F2P I say we have a dance party in game

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
If this goes f2p I'll play it.

quote:

Anyways, here's 7 reasons B2P is unlikely for Wildstar
1.The game is already effectively B2P.
You don't have to pay a subscription if you just play the game and use a little plat to buy CREDD

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

I suppose if you missed the exploit party you'll have to grind some seriously unfun poo poo to buy the equivalent of PLEX, right?

Kasp0021
Jan 1, 2011
Wildstar seems to be getting criticized pretty harshly recently, but for me it's kinda hard to see specifically what people are actually angry about, since opinions are all over the place.
Is the entire Wildstar thing just a heaping pile of hot excrement or is it something else?
Is "The Game" the major problem, because I kinda liked it (Except for the raids) and spent quite a lot of time happily blazing through the story arcs and dungeons with my pals.
I think I'm starting to sidetrack, anyhow. What would you guys say is the main killer behind this entire Wildstar affair?
Is the game design poo poo?
No content?
Is the developer making their users bend over backwards?
Other things?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Kasp0021 posted:

Wildstar seems to be getting criticized pretty harshly recently, but for me it's kinda hard to see specifically what people are actually angry about, since opinions are all over the place.
Is the entire Wildstar thing just a heaping pile of hot excrement or is it something else?
Is "The Game" the major problem, because I kinda liked it (Except for the raids) and spent quite a lot of time happily blazing through the story arcs and dungeons with my pals.
I think I'm starting to sidetrack, anyhow. What would you guys say is the main killer behind this entire Wildstar affair?
No content?
Other things?

yes

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kasp0021 posted:

No content?
Other things?

The game is overtly a dumpster fire and really obviously so to anyone who had played most of the recent mmo's to come down the pipe. It was missing just about every important leap forward in user friendliness.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kasp0021 posted:

Wildstar seems to be getting criticized pretty harshly recently
"Recently"? :raise:

Failboattootoot posted:

The game is overtly a dumpster fire and really obviously so to anyone who had played most of the recent mmo's to come down the pipe. It was missing just about every important leap forward in user friendliness.
And made a few gleeful steps back in many cases, up to and including actively crippling a lot of the good concepts and mechanics they did have. It's really quite amazing how brazenly the developers hosed themselves.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Shadowlyger posted:

They gained just under that many at the start of WoD.

This is exactly what I read. Losing that many subscribers is certainly eyebrow raising, but people always leave out the amount gained in the first place. :v:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kasp0021 posted:

No content?
Other things?

The cool things the game had (housing, shiphands, alright-ish combat, quirky art direction) were wasted by a terrible client and backend, dull as gently caress quest (and path and challenge) design, moronic itemization, poo poo writing, zero QoL features and designers/managers who think TBC era WoW is the holy MMO grail. The game was pushed out unfinished and strangled by a management team full of spergs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It was a game that was designed for, and specifically catered to, elitists with a massive sense of sneering entitlement and disdain for "casual players." The fact that it's imploding is cause for celebration. Good riddance to terrible game design.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Vermain posted:

It was a game that was designed for, and specifically catered to, elitists with a massive sense of sneering entitlement and disdain for "casual players." The fact that it's imploding is cause for celebration.

Sucks that it pulled some cool things down with it but it's a good thing it failed, yeah.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Arzachel posted:

Sucks that it pulled some cool things down with it but it's a good thing it failed, yeah.

Nothing unique died with this game though. GW2, FF14, WoW (Even loving TOR with its space combat game hidden inside) and others all already present everything Wildstar did in a fundamentally better package. If there was something in Wildstar you liked, there is at least 1 mmo doing it better. If what you wanted was a pretty princess renovation rescue game there are so many better games you could be playing for that experience, or gently caress it, leard a 3d CAD package and start making your own loving architecture.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

If this goes f2p I'll play it.

I had a years worth of CREDD when I quit. I think I read somewhere it's supposed to expire though, Wildstar can get hosed :v:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

True story: one of the devs, upon learning that some of his precious raid bosses were killed would retune them to be even harder if their broken mechanics even allowed for them to be killed in the first place. This happened multiple times. The dev would be actively hostile and critical of anyone making attempts on raid content, and upon actually killing said raid bosses would be defensive, hostile, and post things like "about time you guys got him down LEGITIMATELY".

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Demiurge4 posted:

I had a years worth of CREDD when I quit. I think I read somewhere it's supposed to expire though, Wildstar can get hosed :v:

Yeah it goes poof after 90 days.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

At around 800k of revenue a month I dont think they have much left after operating costs. And I doubt its much to fill in the gaping hole of 6+ years of development costs.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

onesixtwo posted:

suicide threats start on page 3

Haha if that Franbunny dude kills himself that would totally be the funniest ending to his crazy obsession over the game.

I remember a post around beta saying he has post delivered to him under the name FranBunny and that it should be his characters name.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ9sI8K5g9Q

i don't know why this game failed there is SO MUCH to do

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's a claimed Carbine insider (apparently willing to verify employment with the mods) over there that Fran keeps snipping his posts. He says it's headed for a TOR style hybrid model in August.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

NCsoft had their forecast for wildstar on the gutter for the rest of the year so if they are doing any plans to revitalize the game they sure as hell dont expect it to succeed.

Speaking about the forecast, a little less revenue and wildstar would have gotten half of what NCsoft was expecting them to get this quarter. It was already trash extremely lowball forecast and it failed to get even that.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 13, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Iron Tusk posted:

There's a claimed Carbine insider (apparently willing to verify employment with the mods) over there that Fran keeps snipping his posts. He says it's headed for a TOR style hybrid model in August.

It would not surprise me, but a TOR style hybrid is not enough. They need a much more open F2P model and even then they have to implement a lot of changes to the end game to make it more casual friendly.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Saxophone posted:

True story: one of the devs, upon learning that some of his precious raid bosses were killed would retune them to be even harder if their broken mechanics even allowed for them to be killed in the first place. This happened multiple times. The dev would be actively hostile and critical of anyone making attempts on raid content, and upon actually killing said raid bosses would be defensive, hostile, and post things like "about time you guys got him down LEGITIMATELY".

I seem to recall stories of said dev actually watching some of these raids as they happened (not hard when there were like 2 active raid guilds in the whole game) and making on the fly adjustments to the content if he thought the groups were clearing it to easily.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
The thought of these hardcore devs grumbling about catering to casuals as they begrudgingly work on the changes to the F2P transition makes me smile. :yayclod:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
It's kinda funny that even now that some of the most hardline supporters are starting to grumble "well maybe things aren't as good as I thought" you still get people posting in their threads saying poo poo like "NEGATIVE POSTS AREN'T HELPING THE PROBLEM I LOVE YOU CARBINE".

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

The thought of these hardcore devs grumbling about catering to casuals as they begrudgingly work on the changes to the F2P transition makes me smile. :yayclod:

There's a good chance that a lot of those people are already gone.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Verranicus posted:

I seem to recall stories of said dev actually watching some of these raids as they happened (not hard when there were like 2 active raid guilds in the whole game) and making on the fly adjustments to the content if he thought the groups were clearing it to easily.

If they have the tech to actually make changes like that without disconnecting players to restart things I'd be kind of surprised. I believe the adjustments after the fact though

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Iron Tusk posted:

A lot of them jumped ship when they realized how much of a clusterfuck WS would be, but there isn't a safe haven for them anymore. Game companies have known for a long time that casual games sell, and if you aren't FROM software you can't get away with HARDCORE anymore, so those devs are going to be making casual games no matter where they go. Statistically, they're probably most likely going to go to work on mobile games, which is just fantastic and :allears:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Iron Tusk posted:

They're really going to need to find a way to fix their marketing strategy. F2P isn't going to get people if they think the devs hate them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

They're really going to need to find a way to fix their marketing strategy. F2P isn't going to get people if they think the devs hate them.

The only way to fix that is to very publicly fire the lot of them and replace them to show it's not the same devs anymore.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The only way to fix that is to very publicly fire the lot of them and replace them to show it's not the same devs anymore.

That won't solve the problem that the established playerbase will hate them, too.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Evil Mastermind posted:

That won't solve the problem that the established playerbase will hate them, too.

I'm sure all 50 of them will get over it.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Pretty :lol: that the devs promise some fun little surprise and you have fans worried it's the game getting shut down or turned into a cash shop

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Everyone who says they would play this game if it was free is admitting they have no taste in games and will play any poo poo as long as it's FREE!!!

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Iron Tusk posted:

tbh I can't imagine why would anyone care when its f2p if it is still fundamentally unfun and full of bugs. swtor is a competent game underneath at least, even if vanilla sidequests are mostly boring BC-era crap, storyline stuff is legit. also last patch made a lot of convenience changes which go completely against anything that could be called hardcore.

wildstar on the other hand has housing and ... ?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
do not support wildstar it killed a cool superhero game before its time. If wildstar goes f2p do not play it because there is a high chance you are an idiot whale and will pay way more than $15 to them monthly. do not support videogame murder.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Normal Adult Human posted:

do not support wildstar it killed a cool superhero game before its time

ohhhh that's why a lot of goons hate it with such fervor

god drat guys your lovely superhero mmo is gone, a man who accepts this will be the greatest superhero of them all

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

people who can't stop gushing about a dead mmo with tights in it are the worst hth

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

onesixtwo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ9sI8K5g9Q`

i don't know why this game failed there is SO MUCH to do

The video invites people to roleplay, but the vast majority of the crowd is half-naked anime bunny girls... :ohdear:

I wonder how much of that type of person makes up the remainder of Wildstar's active players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
But COH was a good game. :smith:

• Locked thread