Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

threeagainstfour posted:

Someone may have pointed this out, but in that same trailer there's a shot of Stannis looking at a map with all the little army figures. It's pretty clear that the Boltons have managed to outmaneuver and surround him somehow.

Which may actually be a good sign for Stannis. I feel like if they were going to kill him it would be swift and sudden. Most likely he'll suffer an early set back, figure out he's surrounded and then MacGuyver his way out of it with some insane Stannis tactical magic.

Or Shireen will get burned.

I never looked at the map.

I don't think you can increase tension for the Sansa/Theon storyline without Stannis losing (but probably not dying). Either way, Shireen is totally getting burned.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Which trailer has stannis camp getting attacked? I couldnt see it

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

She's going to burn Shireen at the last moment to win the battle despite Stannis' objection.

Nooooo.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lycus posted:

I never looked at the map.

I don't think you can increase tension for the Sansa/Theon storyline without Stannis losing (but probably not dying). Either way, Shireen is totally getting burned.

Stannis why is there a boat on your map

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Why don't we think the Battle for Meereen will be next season? Dany flying away from the pits is the same way ADWD ended. For all we know, the big battle might be all she's doing in book 6. Martin already said she won't meet Tyrion until the end of book 6.

You don't need Yunkai. I think it would tie things nicely up if instead of the Ironborn being forgotten about in the show forever that they were the main threat to Meereen. They're coming for the queen and the dragons and they'll kill whoever says they can't have them. On the last page, people are expecting the Ironborn to return in Season 6. It all seems like it's fitting together.

I want the Battle of Meereen more than the Battle of Winterfell and Hardhome because I want a big awesome battle in a different setting with dragons and pirates. Sure it's stupid to kill off Berristan if this was in the plans, but Tyrion, Jorah, and Dany would still be involved. Hell, you could have Yara too. All you had going into the big battle last season was Jon, Sam, and Igritte. They made you care about Thorne and others during the fight.

Tyrion is 100% meeting Dany this season, and will be present when Drogon attacks Daznak's Pit:
http://imgur.com/ARzwkfn

I honestly don't think the Battle of Meereen will take place in the show at all. Given that there's five factions taking part in the book (Dany's forces, the Harpy insurgency, the Yunkish, the mercenary companies and the Ironborn) and that only two of those exist in the show, there's basically nobody to fight. Assuming that Dany actually leaves the city - and it's hard to imagine she won't, the only battle I see taking place is Dany burning it to the ground with dragonfire and her newly-formed Khalasar looting and pillaging.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

webmeister posted:

Shireen's playin' around again.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I wonder whether that boat indicates Gendry's current position or Yara's

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

webmeister posted:

The ocean came to winterfell

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Okay, the first and fourth rows of figures are flayed men, and the third row is flaming stags. What's the second row?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

webmeister posted:

I wonder whether that boat indicates Gendry's current position or Yara's

Next time Yara lands I expect her to encounter the giant wild dog pack and be chased away again by dogs.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I just want to know who was it that carved Bolten tokens.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

We did see Davos doin' some whittlin' in the last episode.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Stannis inherited his miniature collection from his big brother Robert. The old king was known for his Warhammer.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Dolash posted:

Stannis inherited his miniature collection from his big brother Robert. The old king was known for his Warhammer.

Beautiful.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dolash posted:

lmao

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Dolash posted:

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

webmeister posted:

Probably the fleet sailing for Hardhome?

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Dreadfort is on the coast, isn't it?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dolash posted:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

DeepQantas posted:

Dreadfort is on the coast, isn't it?

Nope.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

They've talked over and over again about how Stannis is a proven battle commander, so I look forward to the episode where he marches his army down single file through a dense forest while they loudly sing one of the two songs in Westeros.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
How many more seasons of this show are there? I wouldn't be surprised if next season they covered Victarion/crew and Aegon/crew. Not that I necessarily want the latter, but I think they have enough seasons left to milk that those things aren't necessarily off the show for good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

CornHolio posted:

How many more seasons of this show are there? I wouldn't be surprised if next season they covered Victarion/crew and Aegon/crew. Not that I necessarily want the latter, but I think they have enough seasons left to milk that those things aren't necessarily off the show for good.

If they didn't feel the name to have everything happen in a linear fashion (Like a Tyrion scene takes place on Day 1, Danny Scene on Day 2, (time skip of five days), Jon Scene on Day 7) I would believe this to be the case. But unless they're really taking things out of order I'm not sure I see it happening.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They said that they were originally aiming for seven seasons but as long as the ratings are high and the show is a cultural phenomena they could possibly go for more, however, the way they've been handling things this season and the previous one there is no indication that they're looking to extend the series indefinitely, they're quite purposefully changing the plot so that characters interact with each other and bring certain plot points to a faster conclusion, perhaps they are doing this to free screentime for the iron islands and fAegon next season but it looks like they're interested in keeping things tight and keep the overall white-walkers/dragons plot moving forward.

In my opinion the show is already losing steam and I'm pretty sure this is reflected by the ratings and the critiques, I think they'd prefer to avoid a situation in which the show fizzles out and would thus avoid increasing the scope just so they could remain true to certain plot elements from the books.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

emanresu tnuocca posted:

In my opinion the show is already losing steam and I'm pretty sure this is reflected by the ratings and the critiques, I think they'd prefer to avoid a situation in which the show fizzles out and would thus avoid increasing the scope just so they could remain true to certain plot elements from the books.

Watch them cast Johnny Depp as Victarion to try to increase the fan base :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

emanresu tnuocca posted:

They said that they were originally aiming for seven seasons but as long as the ratings are high and the show is a cultural phenomena they could possibly go for more, however, the way they've been handling things this season and the previous one there is no indication that they're looking to extend the series indefinitely, they're quite purposefully changing the plot so that characters interact with each other and bring certain plot points to a faster conclusion, perhaps they are doing this to free screentime for the iron islands and fAegon next season but it looks like they're interested in keeping things tight and keep the overall white-walkers/dragons plot moving forward.

What is the gist behind a ratings slump/the critiques? It'd be darkly hilarious if its because they make too many dumb decisions.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Raenir Salazar posted:

What is the gist behind a ratings slump/the critiques? It'd be darkly hilarious if its because they make too many dumb decisions.

Not sure about the ratings, but the critiques still love the show.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/game-of-thrones/season-5

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Raenir Salazar posted:

The episode that just aired on mother's day drew 600,000 fewer viewers than episode 5 last year, but 1.2 million more viewers than episode 5 of season 3. WRAP IT UP D&DAILURES, YER GETTIN CANCELED

Metacritic ratings by season so far: 80, 90, 91, 94, 91. WRAP IT UP D&DAILURES ERRBODY HATES YOUUUUUUU

Seriously, guys? It's still a juggernaut. It's still beloved. It's going to get all 7 seasons. Christ.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Next episode sounds like a snoozefest though.

I already hate Dorne.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Mukaikubo posted:

Seriously, guys? It's still a juggernaut. It's still beloved. It's going to get all 7 seasons. Christ.

Even if seasons 5 and 6 bombed I'd still expect a season 7 due to Merchandise sales from hardcore fans and the fact that leaving a show unfinished is bad business in this new age.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mukaikubo posted:

The episode that just aired on mother's day drew 600,000 fewer viewers than episode 5 last year, but 1.2 million more viewers than episode 5 of season 3. WRAP IT UP D&DAILURES, YER GETTIN CANCELED

Metacritic ratings by season so far: 80, 90, 91, 94, 91. WRAP IT UP D&DAILURES ERRBODY HATES YOUUUUUUU

Ah, my mistake then. I do prefer having the show finishing properly than no show and waiting two decades for the books.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 1 got 80 on Metacritic? Remind me to never waste my time with Metacritic.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

fleshweasel posted:

Season 1 got 80 on Metacritic? Remind me to never waste my time with Metacritic.

I mean... Metacritic themselves didn't do that.

RobearBill
Jul 1, 2007
Lives To Win
Small question dating back to the season premiere: how did Arya have knowledge of Tywin's death? He was no longer a part of her list.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

RobearBill posted:

Small question dating back to the season premiere: how did Arya have knowledge of Tywin's death? He was no longer a part of her list.

Aemon is getting apparently regular, up to date updates about Dany's misadventures from somebody, so I just assume Fantasy Twitter is involved.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mukaikubo posted:

I bet the ratings also would look much better if you factored in HBOgo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

RobearBill posted:

Chatter at the docks? She left Westeros sometime after his death, and she arrived in Braavos sometime after his funeral. I'm sure people are talking about it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 13, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Aemon thing made much less sense that the counterpart book scene but if you assume he's actively seeking information about Dany and sends ravens to people who might know what she's up to it sorta kinda makes sense, Arya makes a less sense but if she's been wandering about the city for a bit it's possible she spoke to some people who might have heard about Tywin's death, not very likely but not impossible either.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Maybe that Braavosi captain had errands to do before he returned to Braavos, giving the news time to travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Maybe she's a loving witch.

• Locked thread