Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Just make Japanese CVs very good with torp bombers, and US carriers good with fighters/bombers.

Of course, in a reasonable sense.

e: Patch is loading for US client. 2620.58MB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

orange juche posted:

Looks like 3.1 dropped now, I've got a 2620MB patch cooking atm.

Ugh gently caress, they buffed the firing rate of the Yamato, and nerfed the Amagi's and the Nagato's secondaries. gently caress whining Yamato drivers forever I hope they all die.
:rip: Even as someone who only ever went up against them they were boss as hell

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Insert name here posted:

:rip: Even as someone who only ever went up against them they were boss as hell

It was loving amazing, like the thumb of god reaching out and smiting lowly cruiser and DD drivers that get too close, hell I even had a match yesterday where an Amagi got too close. I took him from 30k HP to 0 in 1 volley, because I citadeled him once with my main battery and the secondaries were firing AP due to my target being a BB, they citadeled him a couple times and he just evaporated. He didn't even get a shot off.

E: I had beachbum on comms at the time, I remember saying something along the lines of "I'm about to get pincered by this Amagi and Nagato outside this strait" followed by "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HOLY poo poo EAT poo poo HAHAHA"

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Their secondaries are still a good deal better than what the US gets. Those 5" are nice as AA, but the turrets get destroyed easily and you have way less barrels than the Japanese. US BBs are mid to long range ships.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tindahbawx posted:

Its the same for all "World of XXX" games.

I bought in with the Gremyashchy and find it an enjoyable little Destroyer, its guns are very good and it has a concealment range good enough to gets its torpedoes away without being spotted. I picked up this ship primarily because its Wargaming, and no doubt the Russian line will be filled with slightly overpowered bullshit. Take the Murmansk for example, its an Omaha with Russian colours on it, it is the same ship in every other way to the Omaha in game, the same MM weight, except because its Russian, it gets an extra 2km range on its guns for no apparent reason.

Pretty sure it also has fewer guns and torps.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Who wants to get some Goon Platoon going for working up the US BB tree? I'll be in TS for a couple hours.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hammerstein posted:

As CV you don't even have to coordinate much as long as BB players go in straight lines and make themselves a prime target for a double strike:

Anyway, 3.1. is tomorrow and will change the playing field somewhat. Be prepared to bow before mighty Nippon and their torp squadrons.

:captainpop:
This is just beautiful. That right here, is why I prefer carriers. The view is just magnificient from the air.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Yesterday, I faced a very good CV driver in my Nagato. Perfect runs every time; dodging one set of torpedo bombers meant being broadside to the other and I was jinking and changing course and speed like crazy to make his setting up the run as difficult as possible. That kept me to only eating one or two torpedoes every time he attached me, but drat the guy knew what he was doing.

:rip: Nagato secondaries. I loved eating destroyers with those things.

edit: I wished they put percentage modifiers on accuracy. "Nerfed accuracy on secondaries" could mean a 2% reduction or a 12% reduction.

Also, good to see ROF buffed on the Baltimore. It's not a bad ship, but relatively painful for its tier.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 13, 2015

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Dalael posted:

:captainpop:
This is just beautiful. That right here, is why I prefer carriers. The view is just magnificient from the air.

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-0305-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview-v015-07052015/

Install the Overhead View mod, and you can have it in other ships too. Its ridiculously OP when you're in a BB.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Experimental test report, turning AP shells by angling your armor works great, I lived probably a full 5 minutes longer in my Cleveland than I should have by bouncing AP shells last match.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So the Saipan has been removed, the Independence bumped up and the Bogue inserted at tier 5.

The Bogue gets the same plane types as the old Independence (I think), but now your squadron choices are 1 fighter and 1 torpedo, 1 torpedo and 2 bomber, or 2 fighter and 1 bomber. Three poo poo choices really.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Shoutout to orangejuche for being a great battlebuddy. He also had a nice analogy.

Trip report new shell system and damage mechanics:

What the gently caress is going on.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The whole US carrier line seems like it's been hosed for squadron choices, you basically have to take dive bombers, and then you get to decide if you want fighters or torpedo bombers but not both.

The Japanese carriers basically got the old US squadrons.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

NTRabbit posted:

The whole US carrier line seems like it's been hosed for squadron choices, you basically have to take dive bombers, and then you get to decide if you want fighters or torpedo bombers but not both.

Wait, so they changed the squads that US carriers had?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

See following situation.

Me in my independence. Upgraded fighters, both modules to make them stronger.
One enemy ranger, one enemy fighter squadron.
Result: I lose one and a half squad, he looses two planes.

gently caress you game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Dalael posted:

Wait, so they changed the squads that US carriers had?

Stock loadout listed first

Langley: 1F + 1T, or 2T

Bogue: 1F + 1T, or 1T + 2B, or 2F + 1B

Independence: 1F + 1B + 1T, or 2F + 1B, or 1T + 2B

Ranger: 1F + 1B + 1T, or 2F + 2B, or 1T + 3B

Lexington: 2F + 1T + 1B, or 2F + 2B, or 1T + 3B

Essex: 2F + 1T + 1B, or 3F + 2B, or 2T + 3B

BLerchg
May 8, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

This is such a bullshit change. Personally i hate dive bombers. They feel weak.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Unless there are actual buffs to divebombers then they're still going to be utterly worthless. You can penetrate with HE now, why can't you land a bomb on a BB's deck and pen its citadel for 35k damage? Divebomber bombs were designed to not explode on the surface of a ship, but to punch through several decks and explode, breaking the ship's keel.

E: Yeah they really need to revise the strength of dive bombers, the 1600lb armor piercing AN-Mk1 bomb that the US used for its TBF Avengers could easily penetrate 5 inches of steel deck and carried 240lb of high explosives inside it. One of those bombs could cripple or sink a battleship, and even the revised 1000lb AN-Mk33 had a 79% kill rate on successful bombing runs. The Japanese armor piercing bombs were pretty poo poo by comparison, with only a 40% kill rate, due to their bombs having a high dud rate.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 13, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

On the Essex, dive bombers are 7500 max damage, Torpedo bombers 9867 max damage

LOL, they're also 15 knots slower and have 160 less hp than the Torpedo bombers

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

The Izumo looks... special, what's the logic behind that turret layout.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
weren't they planning on buffing dive bombers though?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

This is :nexus:

I am going to miss my 2F + 2TB. Dive bombers are just loving awful. They could do 100k damage for all I care, they are just not worth it. Too slow, they often die before reaching their target and have trouble hitting a battleship going in a straight line. Hitting any ship when a cruiser is nearby is nothing short of a miracle and would be enough to make me believe in God.

I hope these changes won't last. If IJN carriers get the squads the US carrier had, then I guess thats what I'm going to start playing. Too bad, I'm going to miss my US line.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

deratomicdog posted:

weren't they planning on buffing dive bombers though?

They did, but the fact that you still cannot penetrate or citadel with a dive bomber really cripples the potential damage. You can deal critical hits with torp bombers if you hit a ship with a broadside.

Its really hilarious, because dive bombers were actually insanely accurate, and the bombing runs were relatively easy to aim compared to a horizontal run on a target, due to literally just having to nose over, line up the ship in the sights and release the bomb and pull away. They were vulnerable as gently caress though since the bombs they carried weighed 1000 lbs or more, which made them much slower than TBs.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 13, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ok, small trip report: I just took my Bogue out and came up solo against a pair of Hoshos

Torpedo bombers still blow, best I did was 1500 damage, dead turret and fire to a Wyoming.

Fighters on the other hand?

I swept the loving sky. Literally, I got an award for it. Any Japanese squadron that got within range was mulched, utterly mulched. One ammo load was enough to kill two entire squadrons before needing a reload, they went down fast, and I'm pretty sure I never lost a single fighter, just all my dive bombers.

e: Also all planes seemed like they were moving faster across the map, maybe all planes got a buff to speed?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 13, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dive bombers were accurate as hell or could penetrate a bunch, pick one. The drop heights for nice accurate drops and punching through battleship armor were different. They should still do good damage. Making them less accurate if intercepted but more resistant to AA alone might be interesting as well as making them able to drop from high up to punch through armor but give enough time to dodge.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

orange juche posted:

Unless there are actual buffs to divebombers then they're still going to be utterly worthless. You can penetrate with HE now, why can't you land a bomb on a BB's deck and pen its citadel for 35k damage? Divebomber bombs were designed to not explode on the surface of a ship, but to punch through several decks and explode, breaking the ship's keel.

E: Yeah they really need to revise the strength of dive bombers, the 1600lb armor piercing AN-Mk1 bomb that the US used for its TBF Avengers could easily penetrate 5 inches of steel deck and carried 240lb of high explosives inside it. One of those bombs could cripple or sink a battleship, and even the revised 1000lb AN-Mk33 had a 79% kill rate on successful bombing runs. The Japanese armor piercing bombs were pretty poo poo by comparison, with only a 40% kill rate, due to their bombs having a high dud rate.

The best part is that a perfect torp run will hit with all torps and cause massive damage. A perfect DB run still has enough leeway to only hit with 1-2 bombs.

See below, 18 bombers dive on a Mogami, ok the reticle sways a little to the right, but I dare the god of DBs to do better. This strike from 18 DBs caused 8 hits and barely took half the Mogami's health.

:suicide:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 13, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What worries me is that all your bombers reached the cruiser without a single loss...

It seems AA guns make for pretty fireworks but are terrible, I didn't get beyound the Fuso and Cleveland though, but the Cleveland pack a lot of AA yet hardly kill any planes.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I'm pretty sure most carrier players use Dive Bombers the following way:

Send Dive bombers to intercept fighter planes ---> have fighter planes waste their ammo on them ---> Send in torpedo planes now that fighters are low on ammo.

Its the only good use I found for them so far, because 1 hit every 20 run is just not worth it.

Krogort posted:

What worries me is that all your bombers reached the cruiser without a single loss...

It seems AA guns make for pretty fireworks but are terrible, I didn't get beyound the Fuso and Cleveland though, but the Cleveland pack a lot of AA yet hardly kill any planes.

I can't say for sure with the new patch, but the Cleveland has inacurate AA despite having lots of it.
AA becomes a real pain in the rear end at Tier 7, once you unlock the Pepsi-Cola. That is when people learn to fear AA.

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum

Hammerstein posted:

The best part is that a perfect torp run will hit with all torps and cause massive damage. A perfect DB run still has enough leeway to only hit with 1-2 bombs.

See below, 18 bombers dive on a Mogami, ok the reticle sways a little to the right, but I dare the god of DBs to do better. This strike from 18 DBs caused 8 hits and barely took half the Mogami's health.

:suicide:

I haven't played in a few weeks but that looks like an auto run to me...

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

KcDohl posted:

With 8 hits, there is no way it is an auto-run. That is manual aim. Auto-Run will give you 1 or 2 with luck.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Players are still using their focused fire skill incorrectly and blowing their loads early. Once they figure out to delay the focused fire until just before the bombers are in range to actually try a run, the plane kills will go up, and the chances of getting an aimed run in will go down. You'll have to fly in rather close, lose some bombers to focused fire, then loop around and risk more bomber losses for a shot at a focused run.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

KcDohl posted:

Trust me, it was manual.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Here is how to use DBs correctly:
Step 1: Wait until the BB wastes his repair.
Step 2. Manual aim and get 5 hits in.
Step 3: Laugh as three fires rack up more damage than a waterflood.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Anyone else have issues with the update? I had it all download and install without any problem, but when launching the game it throws a "Critical Error" and locks up. The Critical Error box is not visible, and there is no way to get to it to see what happened, I can only see it via task manager and it won't switch to it.

I just deleted the game and am completely downloading a fresh install (which is downloading faster than the update did), but was curious if others ran into that.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

^
Only issue I have are long match-loading times.

Okay, may I present you: My issue with fighters on the Indepenence.

Okay, looks decent. It's the upgraded version.

Now, if we look at tier up:

Hm....Hmmmmmmmmm...

What that means is that you are basically hosed, even if you have two squads, you won't be able to take out a single enemy fighter squadron.

RIP

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Who needs fancy :911: BB's when you have cold hard American DD steel.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Independence sucked as a tier 5 too

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

First time in the new T3 American BB.. 15 hits for a whopping 5k of damage.. ugh. Also, no damage numbers over the enemy when I'm hitting him now?

Edit: drat I need the permanent alt-key mod back.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I can't get any citadel hits on a South Carolina with my Kawachi, and half my shots seem to be bouncing, because that's a ship that needed to be worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Restarted the game and now the damage indicators when hitting enemies works again. And NTR - I haven't managed to get any citadel hits on a South Carolina with my South Carolina either, and well over half my shots are doing nothing at all in these low tier games vs. other BB's.