Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
try more magnesium
Jul 3, 2006

this is my posting face
i love to post
I just read through the whole thread and wow-- you guys are inspiring. Really fantastic work. I just bought an Instax 210 secondhand for about $30 and have shot maybe 20ish photos so far. It seems to really excel at landscapes, particularly sky. Reds and blues are insanely lush, especially in NorCal sunshine. I do NOT have the hang of this yet but I'm plugging away.

I have a question about the Lighten, Normal, and Darken settings, because my used camera came without the instruction book: are they controlling shutter speed or flash brightness?

Also, I want to do this: http://shuttercrazephotography.com/News/files/38520c6e764feabe7af4b5b9a855155d-30.html This dude has a slaved strobe and is using a cardboard sheet to bounce the instax flash to the sensor. Slave strobe bulbs are like $17 on Amazon so why not. It's a lot of work for an instant but I have other cams too.

VVV thank you!

try more magnesium fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Steamcrunk posted:

I have a question about the Lighten, Normal, and Darken settings, because my used camera came without the instruction book: are they controlling shutter speed or flash brightness?
Shutter speed, the flash fires the same way every time.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

These are great.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Do you need to use the cold clip with FP-100c? Does peeling the film too early result in overexposed photos, or underexposed? I can't seem to get images to come out nice using my Colorpack II, but it's only 10C out right now, so that might have something to do with it. Most of my shots come out overexposed

Nevermind, I wasn't letting them develop long enough. I heard FP-100C was self terminating but for some reason I didn't believe it. I let some shots sit for 10 minutes before peeling them, and they came out perfect.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 19, 2015

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

BANME.sh posted:

Do you need to use the cold clip with FP-100c? Does peeling the film too early result in overexposed photos, or underexposed? I can't seem to get images to come out nice using my Colorpack II, but it's only 10C out right now, so that might have something to do with it. Most of my shots come out overexposed

Nevermind, I wasn't letting them develop long enough. I heard FP-100C was self terminating but for some reason I didn't believe it. I let some shots sit for 10 minutes before peeling them, and they came out perfect.

Yeah FP-100C hates the cold. I just put it in my pocket and peel it later. I've let it sit for hours without issue

Be careful with using the Colorpack II (and other similar cameras) in extreme cold. I've had 2 break and fall apart due to the cold.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Here is the first photo from my Mamiya Universal that's worth a poo poo.

Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

Here is the first photo from my Mamiya Universal that's worth a poo poo.

Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr
Nice but a bit soft.
Which lens did ya use? 127mm?
I have been thinking about picking up one of the two P lenses from the lineup, but the 75mm one is ridiculously expensive and hard to get by, and the 127 is too close a focal length to my 100mm 2.8 beastie.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Looks Polaroid soft.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Putrid Grin posted:

Nice but a bit soft.
Which lens did ya use? 127mm?
I have been thinking about picking up one of the two P lenses from the lineup, but the 75mm one is ridiculously expensive and hard to get by, and the 127 is too close a focal length to my 100mm 2.8 beastie.

The photo itself isn't that soft. I was just given some advice to put a couple books on the scanner while it scans to help get it flat on the glass. So that will help.

I used the 127.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
How much is too much to pay for flashcubes? I found a local guy with 23 cubes, selling them for $3 ea. I was gonna offer $40 for the whole lot but is that too much you think?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

How much is too much to pay for flashcubes? I found a local guy with 23 cubes, selling them for $3 ea. I was gonna offer $40 for the whole lot but is that too much you think?

$3 each seems like too much if ebay is telling me anything

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/flash-cubes

ape
Jul 20, 2009

ape fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 14, 2015

ape
Jul 20, 2009

ape fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 22, 2015

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Really like those last 2 posts

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Bought a Fuji Instax Mini 8, took it to a bar, dropped it and it broke. But I loved it and will be replacing it soon. And I got this shot at the bar.

Owen by dshenphotos, on Flickr

I am bad at scanning.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
A stack of polaroids I took back in november magically uncurled themselves the other day. Thanks humidity!

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Shooting instant film is addictive.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

feigning interest posted:

Shooting instant film is addictive.

:gizz:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

:3:

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

scanner!

Untitled-10 by s-bothun, on Flickr
Untitled-8 by s-bothun, on Flickr
Untitled-5 by s-bothun, on Flickr
Untitled-4 by s-bothun, on Flickr
Untitled-3 by s-bothun, on Flickr
Untitled-1 by s-bothun, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Where's the cheapest place to get an Instax wide in the US? I'm traveling over in a couple of weeks and need a new one

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

craigslist

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
This is the Polaroid digital library:

There are repair manuals for many Polaroid cameras here:
https://www.everythingretek.com/PRDLibrary/LIBRARY8/LIBRARY/REPAIR/

Here are film data sheets, user manuals, training materials, ads, movies, etc...
https://www.everythingretek.com/PRDLibrary/LIBRARY8/LIBRARY/

Enjoy.

Another Place for manuals.
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/polaroid.htm

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 10, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

:getin:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I just found a box of fp-100c45 in my scanner box, forgot to sell it I guess. Checked ebay.

:captainpop:
$99-125

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Untitled by Maciej, on Flickr

My scan-fu is weak. Shadows get crushed and colors get all sorts of screwed up.
Do I need to shell out for one of those calibration targets on the off chance I decide to scan some instant film?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Scan in 48 bit and set your black and white points, your scanner won't make every image perfect for you.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Putrid Grin posted:

Untitled by Maciej, on Flickr

My scan-fu is weak. Shadows get crushed and colors get all sorts of screwed up.
Do I need to shell out for one of those calibration targets on the off chance I decide to scan some instant film?

photoshop is like magic. as the autist mentioned, setting black and white points will fix everything you loving racist.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Snag an Instax 7S with a 10pk of film (?) for $48.93 - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fujifilm-Instax-Mini-7S-Instant-Camera-includes-Fujifilm-Mini-Film-10pk/20512790

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Testing the latest iteration of my frankencamera

ape fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 31, 2015

ape
Jul 20, 2009

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
That's rad, what is the back you're using?

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Thanks. The spring back is from an old Cambo Calumet monorail camera. The Polaroid 405 barely fits in there. I finished replacing the cardboard piece with wood the other day. Right now I'm working on machining some new standards with slots for rise/fall.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

Tried a few emulsion lifts. It's fun but I suck at lining up the edges, haha.

ape fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 26, 2015

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Went to the photo fair, picked up some more expired film, and some kentemere to try out in 35mm.
I also got a polaroid film back for my 500cm, super cheap couldn't pass it up.
Forgot to buy instant film :sigh:

Next step is to get an actual instant film camera that covers the whole film area.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

Went to the photo fair, picked up some more expired film, and some kentemere to try out in 35mm.
I also got a polaroid film back for my 500cm, super cheap couldn't pass it up.
Forgot to buy instant film :sigh:

Next step is to get an actual instant film camera that covers the whole film area.

Nice. What camera are you looking to pick up?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Instant Photography: Watch my friends [hide behind bags]

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

ape posted:

Tried a few emulsion lifts. It's fun but I suck at lining up the edges, haha.

I appreciate the craft scissor edges tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Whitezombi posted:

Nice. What camera are you looking to pick up?

Thinking about a metal body polaroid land, if it's a good price

• Locked thread