Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saying that being a slave in s america/the caribbean was worse than being one in n america isnt diminishing the atrociousness of n american slavery rather highlighting just how bad it was in s america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

zoux posted:

saying that being a slave in s america/the caribbean was worse than being one in n america isnt diminishing the atrociousness of n american slavery rather highlighting just how bad it was in s america

way to be slow on the up take there old man

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

do you think his schlong is long

if i have enough time to do some googling i'll let you know

zoux posted:

also in the silver mines you could die from long term mercury poisoning, but i think they used native americans for that

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ZenVulgarity posted:

Holy poo poo VGCW has a huge wiki

is vgcw still going on

i used to love toking up and watching vgcw

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Disinterested posted:

Warsz - did I do you a solid with the books or do you want more populist options? I can hook you up with some articles if you have journal access...or possibly otherwise.

yeah just saw it - that sounds like a great jumping off point for me thx

i have like six weeks off coming up so i am going to travel and read on beaches

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

and yet, still no thank you from the black community for all their masters did for them smfh

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

guys writing rap is real hard

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

nutranurse posted:

is vgcw still going on

i used to love toking up and watching vgcw

yes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

without the Atlantic slave trade we wouldn't have black twitter so try to see the bigger picture

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

zoux posted:

lol dude, being a slave in the carribean was so bad that it got the british folk to go "eehhhhh lets stop this"

the death rates for sugar cane plantation slaves was astronomical, they couldnt even do chattel slavery b/c the slaves just kept dying too quickly

anyone who gets a bug up their butt over pointing out history needs to shut the gently caress up

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

well i know what i'll be doing once i get that pound of weed

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it's funny how the british like to congratulate themselves for ending the slave trade when the only thing they did was switch out african slaves for indian "indentured labor"

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

it's funny how the british like to congratulate themselves for ending the slave trade when the only thing they did was switch out african slaves for indian "indentured labor"

dont forget the chinese!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

basically, white people are bad because of colonialism

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Lol thanks for this

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i actually met this chinese-south african lady

she talked about how she couldn't vote under apartheid

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

nutranurse posted:

lol dude, being a slave in the carribean was so bad that it got the british folk to go "eehhhhh lets stop this"

the death rates for sugar cane plantation slaves was astronomical, they couldnt even do chattel slavery b/c the slaves just kept dying too quickly

anyone who gets a bug up their butt over pointing out history needs to shut the gently caress up

is there like, any taino left

like a single one

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

transforming their colonies' agriculture from subsistence to exports and the consequences from that was also really great, rue britannia long live the queen

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

like a single one

i'm pretty sure columbus killed them all way before plantations even got started

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

like a single one

they were cannibals you know

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Badger of Basra posted:

It was substantially less bad from a body count POV if only because half the slaves from the trade died in holding in Africa before the journeys even began.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

like a single one

theyre so dead that my mum learned about them in the very past tense

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i think we should all take this time to remember that christopher columbus was such a terrible human being that the people who set up the spanish inquisition thought he was a bad guy

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

A lot of anti-slavery people cared mostly about whether slaves could find Jesus if they were slaves so, y'know, don't expect modern humanitarianism as such.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Badger of Basra posted:

i think we should all take this time to remember that christopher columbus was such a terrible human being that the people who set up the spanish inquisition thought he was a bad guy

just another instance of the Spanish inquisition being weird

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Disinterested posted:

A lot of anti-slavery people cared mostly about whether slaves could find Jesus if they were slaves so, y'know, don't expect modern humanitarianism as such.

abolitionism was a weird thing that gets way too oversimplified for the benefit of modern white mindsets, yeah

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

we may be horrible theocrats burning people at the stake, but by god we're not genocidal maniacs! gently caress that columbus dude

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Disinterested posted:

in a lot of latin american history classes they talk about bartolomé de las casas, who was a strong advocate for native americans and said they should be seen as humans and not used as slaves

unfortunately, he argued that the spanish should just use africans as slaves instead

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

for columbus day a few years ago one of my cousins who is an elementary school teacher got to tell his class how loving awful columbus was. progress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like to remember how salty people get when we try to say "hey maybe we shouldn't venerate a syphilis crazed mass murderer for sailing a bit farther at the right time than othe rpeople"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

we may be horrible theocrats burning people at the stake, but by god we're not genocidal maniacs! gently caress that columbus dude

is this better or worse than dr. doom mourning 9/11

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

heh

emergency get pregnant so you have to get married kit

-includes condom poker, pre-poked condom, and some gear for collecting spent semen. lol

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

heh

emergency get pregnant so you have to get married kit

-includes condom poker, pre-poked condom, and some gear for collecting spent semen. lol

sperm jacking is real!!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i think when the share of us catholics gets up to 60% PoC I'll return to the church

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

nutranurse posted:

abolitionism was a weird thing that gets way too oversimplified for the benefit of modern white mindsets, yeah

Modern everyone's mindsets, it's not like a lot of people anywhere delve too interestedly in to this poo poo. And to a lot of people today the religious motivation for abolition still sounds good because a lot of people are still religious.

In fairness the leaders - Wilberforce, Clarkson and Equiano - were pretty loving legit.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

is this better or worse than dr. doom mourning 9/11

:lol:

i cannot believe you were being serious

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

i love the look of intense concentration on the girls face inside the packaging

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

i think when the share of us catholics gets up to 60% PoC I'll return to the church

this reminds me i need to go to mariachi mass in san antonio this summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

nutranurse posted:

:lol:

i cannot believe you were being serious

no lie, i also did a double-take

• Locked thread