Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Super Dude posted:

I think you can say "cancel".

Ok, great, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

kri kri posted:

This must be it since I use GV and hangouts and I can't tell at all who is in a group, and I can't really add people to a group message reliably.
Yup.

In a lot of ways I really wish the GVoice app was its own ecosystem. LIke inside the app it would have everything google voice. messages, dialer, call log, voicemail, etc. Hangouts should be the same way, Lync should be the same way, etc. The number of places I have to check for SMS/MMS/messaging depending on how they come in is insane.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Eejit posted:

Any particular recommendations on qi charging pads? I'm sure the $8 ones do as good as the $20 ones, but are any of the $8 ones better than the rest?

Itian A6. Three coil, puts the device in a position where you can appreciate Daydream or watch a thing easily. Don't know of any multi-coil $8 ones, and not having to fidget with the device to get it charging right is worth $10.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

peepsalot posted:

When someone sends a group sms is it even loving possible to see who is included in the group that I am replying to?

e: on nexus 5 using hangouts

Hit the menu button at the top right and click People and Options. It will show either the contact info if you have them saved or their phone number if you don't.

edit: crap I see someone answered you and you're using GV. Never mind.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I just picked up an s6 and while I'm pleased with it overall, I'd like to remove the brightness slider from the notification tray. I clicked the pencil icon that lets you edit the order of the toggles that appear, but I didn't see anything that addresses my issue.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I just picked up an s6 and while I'm pleased with it overall, I'd like to remove the brightness slider from the notification tray. I clicked the pencil icon that lets you edit the order of the toggles that appear, but I didn't see anything that addresses my issue.

I think that's just part of Touchwiz and can't be removed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Skeezy posted:

I think that's just part of Touchwiz

Totally.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

I think he's talking about the brightness slider being present even if you didn't go into quick settings?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Logikv9 posted:

I think he's talking about the brightness slider being present even if you didn't go into quick settings?

Yep. At least it's not an LG, where (on some carrier versions only, hah) neither the brightness slider nor volume slider can be removed, so half of your notification shade is taken up with toggles and sliders.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

RVProfootballer posted:

Yep. At least it's not an LG, where (on some carrier versions only, hah) neither the brightness slider nor volume slider can be removed, so half of your notification shade is taken up with toggles and sliders.

Coincidentally, on some carrier versions the Touchwiz brightness slider can be disabled. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to why on some models you can and can't on others.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Anybody have advice when it comes to battery replacement? I have a Galaxy S3 that's about a year and a half old, and the battery life has been noticeably worse the past few months. I assumed I would just get a Samsung replacement, but a quick search on Google brings up alternatives, specifically one made by Anker. The reviews are great, but I was hoping for a second opinion.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Postman posted:

Anybody have advice when it comes to battery replacement? I have a Galaxy S3 that's about a year and a half old, and the battery life has been noticeably worse the past few months. I assumed I would just get a Samsung replacement, but a quick search on Google brings up alternatives, specifically one made by Anker. The reviews are great, but I was hoping for a second opinion.

Do it, the battery life is the S3's Achilles' heel. A replacement battery is smarter than a battery case, but either one really help.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
And Anker is generally a solid choice for battery products.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Apparently the HTC One M8 is $300 from Best Buy.

I'm kind of tempted to get it, my Nexus 5 has been hard locking every other day, usually while I'm watching videos on the bus, and it's starting to piss me off. I've already tried a factory reset, and I feel I shouldn't have to unlock, root, and run some other ROM just to have my phone work.

How well has the One M8 held up after a year? It seems like an acceptable "sidegrade" to hold me over.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rastor posted:

I heard that LG will make a Nexus 5 2015 and Huawei will make a Nexus 6 2015.

Who knows. :shrug:

The thing about two Nexus phones has been a rumor since before the Nexus 5. At this point, it's mostly Huawei being talked about because Google supposedly visited them a while ago to talk about something.

Other than that, LG's just kind of been tossed in there for...whatever reason.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I'd buy a Nexus 5 Edge.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Anybody else having problems with the Nexus 6? I went back to using one and wondering if I got a bum unit from Motorola. Wifi issues all the drat time. Google apps crashing constantly. Didn't have the problem when I had my first Nexus 6. Hey at least the voicemail notification works on Verizon now.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Merv Burger posted:

Apparently the HTC One M8 is $300 from Best Buy.

I'm kind of tempted to get it, my Nexus 5 has been hard locking every other day, usually while I'm watching videos on the bus, and it's starting to piss me off. I've already tried a factory reset, and I feel I shouldn't have to unlock, root, and run some other ROM just to have my phone work.

How well has the One M8 held up after a year? It seems like an acceptable "sidegrade" to hold me over.

Still a very good phone except the camera - but still better than the Nexus 5 by far. Great battery life, quick, decent interface.

It is a long phone, but very well built and a good screen. And those speakers...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

The thing about two Nexus phones has been a rumor since before the Nexus 5. At this point, it's mostly Huawei being talked about because Google supposedly visited them a while ago to talk about something.

Other than that, LG's just kind of been tossed in there for...whatever reason.

Androidpit claims to have sources inside LG but then again androidpit is garbage-tier reporting.

Who knows. :shrug:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rastor posted:

Androidpit claims to have sources inside LG but then again androidpit is garbage-tier reporting.
The article also claims that it could have a Snapdragon 820, which is wishful thinking. It's not supposed to be in devices until 2016. Not that I would complain if it somehow happened.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Cozmosis posted:

Still a very good phone except the camera - but still better than the Nexus 5 by far. Great battery life, quick, decent interface.

It is a long phone, but very well built and a good screen. And those speakers...

Yeah, I ended up ordering one. I figure at worst, I'll have a very solid backup phone for a very good price.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Heads up for anyone who takes advantage of Google Opinion Rewards - just got a no-credit survey asking me if I'd ever been to "Kelp's Wild Water Slides." Since I wanted to lie convincingly, I did a search for it before starting the survey. There's no such place.

Seems they're trying to find liars.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Or you could just not lie. It'd certainly be a lot easier.

If the extra four to ten dollars per year you would have earned from lying is so important, just skip a single loving lunch.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Heads up for anyone who takes advantage of Google Opinion Rewards - just got a no-credit survey asking me if I'd ever been to "Kelp's Wild Water Slides." Since I wanted to lie convincingly, I did a search for it before starting the survey. There's no such place.

Seems they're trying to find liars.

They're trying to find assholes like you.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

:aaaaa:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, but then you have like 3 mail apps, 2 messaging apps, 2 calendars, something called milk, etc.

Welcome to every android phone ever. I have messaging, hangouts, vzw messaging, vzw email, inbox, email, gmail, etc etc

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Welcome to every android phone ever. I have messaging, hangouts, vzw messaging, vzw email, inbox, email, gmail, etc etc
I have just Hangouts and Gmail on my Nexus 5. I disabled Email because it just points to Gmail now. I have two redundancies: Clock/Timely and News & Weather/Newsstand.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The Android Thread - Get an Iphone 6

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Did they send the N5's second 5.1.0 build out OTA? I just checked the factory images page since I saw the guy with the N9 screenshot and wondered if they rolled out one for my 5 and noticed there were two builds for 5.1.0 on the Nexus 5 - LMY47D and LMY47I. Checked my phone and it says I have LMY47D. :confused:

Bob A Feet posted:

Welcome to every Verizon phone ever. I have messaging, hangouts, vzw messaging, vzw email, inbox, email, gmail, etc etc

Verizon is worse than Dell when it comes to bullshit bloatware. Android is bad enough with redundancies but Verizon just staples the banana peel to the side of the bin like it's some badge of accomplishment.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 14, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Verizon is worse than Dell when it comes to bullshit bloatware. Android is bad enough with redundancies but Verizon just staples the banana peel to the side of the bin like it's some badge of accomplishment.

The Verizon Navigator app costs $5/mo.

FAUXTON posted:

I mean I've been a foe of Verizon since before smartphones were even a thing but at some point I just stopped getting mad about it and feeling bad for their beaten-spouse subscribers.

And they pay so much more, too. The only ones I feel really bad for live in places where VZW is the only carrier with a presence.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 14, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mooktastical posted:

The Verizon Navigator app costs $5/mo.

Please tell me they have snowflake builds for their phones which disable GMaps navigation so you're required to pay for what is ostensibly a poor alternative to the OEM-installed free software.

I mean I've been a foe of Verizon since before smartphones were even a thing but at some point I just stopped getting mad about it and feeling bad for their beaten-spouse subscribers.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Sorry, I don't buy user hostile phones.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Please tell me they have snowflake builds for their phones which disable GMaps navigation so you're required to pay for what is ostensibly a poor alternative to the OEM-installed free software.

They don't, which makes it even more hilarious that people pay for it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

who cares if there's more than one app for the same thing. Just use the one that you like and ignore or disable if possible the rest.

I mean, sure it's better if there isn't redundant apps, but lol if that has more than the tiniest weight in your phone choice.
I can see it being a bigger issue for clueless techno phones, but not for people who post in this thread.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

who cares if there's more than one app for the same thing. Just use the one that you like and ignore or disable if possible the rest.

One girl in our class got a S6 and kept sweating that her photos are being uploaded to the cloud and to G+ and she'll accidentally share all her nudes to everyone with just 2 clicks. After watching her being nervous and talking about it to everyone for a whole week, I pointed out that the "Photos" app is just an another program to display her photos, the phone comes with many apps which do the same drat thing. Google and Samsung make apps for the same purpose, they just have different names. It is highly unlikely you share everything accidentally. Also she had the cloud backup disabled anyways.

Multiple apps really confuse people, they should just get an Iphone. At least her laugh was worth it when she realized how silly she had been :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

I mean, sure it's better if there isn't redundant apps, but lol if that has more than the tiniest weight in your phone choice.
I can see it being a bigger issue for clueless techno phones, but not for people who post in this thread.

My phone choices are absent any droid-branded phones because of poo poo like Verizon expecting people to pay $5 monthly for GPS navigation. They were bad enough with landline phone service, but that was just billing fuckups. The extent to which they abuse -and yet retain- their customers makes me question the long-term validity of anyone recommending a droid-series phone.

That said, what makes the droid turbo such a go-to recommendation?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FAUXTON posted:

Did they send the N5's second 5.1.0 build out OTA? I just checked the factory images page since I saw the guy with the N9 screenshot and wondered if they rolled out one for my 5 and noticed there were two builds for 5.1.0 on the Nexus 5 - LMY47D and LMY47I. Checked my phone and it says I have LMY47D. :confused:

I don't think so, it was an extremely minor update, something to do with sim cards that affected a few people on a certain carrier? One of those 'if it's not broken for you don't need it' fixes. They probably got it ota

I didn't bother flashing it at the time and had completely forgotten about it till I checked that page too

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

FAUXTON posted:

They don't, rather surprisingly. This is the company that launched their original Galaxy S with Bing as the default.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
How much Verizon bloatware you get seems to depend on the phone. I have a 2014 Moto X and my brother has a Droid Turbo, and he has more bloatware than I do. The X has like 5 VZ apps on it and NFL Mobile while the Turbo had a number of other things. Disabled them all upon activation and it's been roses since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ihmemies posted:

One girl in our class got a S6 and kept sweating that her photos are being uploaded to the cloud and to G+ and she'll accidentally share all her nudes to everyone with just 2 clicks. After watching her being nervous and talking about it to everyone for a whole week, I pointed out that the "Photos" app is just an another program to display her photos, the phone comes with many apps which do the same drat thing. Google and Samsung make apps for the same purpose, they just have different names. It is highly unlikely you share everything accidentally. Also she had the cloud backup disabled anyways.

Multiple apps really confuse people, they should just get an Iphone. At least her laugh was worth it when she realized how silly she had been :v:

Is the fact that people have nudes on their phones so accepted these days that it's commonly discussed in this way? These millennials may be more liberated and free than the hippie generation.