Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alr
May 14, 2009
Top of the mountain at Bathurst in the Ruf GT3 is so knife-edge. I've found it really doesn't like having zero input, got to commit to keeping throttle or brake held until it's straightened out and balanced. Have to be so aware of the centre of mass moving around through the dipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I got H Shifting working on the g27. Oh my what an experience. I could barely get heat into the tyres but what a great video game sensation.

I kind of dislike the engine stalling when you stop as a spin will mean the race is lost. But as a Brit, it's amazing to start a car with a clutch in a game.

I kind of hate it also and have more fun with the paddles, but I can see getting good with the stick will be beneficial (I like jump shifting)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LiquidRain posted:

I haven't touched racing since Forza 4 either, and I'm in the same boat. I can't drive anything. I figured jumping in to the karts for career mode would be a good idea, to start with some slow and easy stuff. Hahaha. Hah. Aha. :saddowns:

Same, I picked up a 125 superkart, and holy poo poo are they twitchy. There's not enough sensitivity in a pad to drive them properly, I really need a wheel.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

orange juche posted:

Same, I picked up a 125 superkart, and holy poo poo are they twitchy. There's not enough sensitivity in a pad to drive them properly, I really need a wheel.

Karts are like that irl as well, they sort of sometimes do what you want but mainly just gently caress you over and do what they want until you are used to them.

The lowest Formula car is where I had fun at the start, it's really good.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Karts are like that irl as well, they sort of sometimes do what you want but mainly just gently caress you over and do what they want until you are used to them.

The lowest Formula car is where I had fun at the start, it's really good.

Yeah I've driven a TAG cart before, and you just point it and it goes.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Friends don't let friends drive carts with controller.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

orange juche posted:

Yeah I've driven a TAG cart before, and you just point it and it goes.

The first time I drove one was in the rain and I was instantly surprised that the steering wheel didn't really do anything as I zoomed off at the first bend, then I distinctly recall a feeling of shock at the effects on my body that no suspension had.

After a lap or two I got used to it but I can't really say I enjoyed it.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
Been having a blast on the PS4 so far. My only complaints are online races, I think I spent more time waiting in the lobby for a race to start than actually racing. Oh, and pubbies, I got rear ended twice which sent me out of the track and I got penalized for it, and another time some dude smashed into my car when I was trying to pass him and my car was completely destroyed and the dude kept going; shouldn't there be some kind of penalty for this?
Anyhow, can't wait to play some more tonight.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Race with friends and goons. Pubies in racers are almost universally terrible.

cb rocks
Jun 10, 2004
sup m8s
What's the general consensus on the Xbox One version? I saw a demo running in GAME over the weekend but I didn't get an opportunity to play.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Driving with assists off for the first time has forced me to learn analog acceleration and braking and I have to say getting those right has made karts a lot more fun to drive. I'm still not really having problems with my controller though, but I do wonder how much money Logitech are making off this game with seemingly everyone buying wheels.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

cb rocks posted:

What's the general consensus on the Xbox One version? I saw a demo running in GAME over the weekend but I didn't get an opportunity to play.

Supposedly performance doesn't compare favorably to the PS4, although SMS is issuing an update that'll net at least 4% increase. Despite that, my brother has it and says it looks terrific. If that's your only system then it's probably a safe bet.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

holocaust bloopers posted:

Try setting steering sens to 35, Deadzone to 5, filtering to 60, and speed sens to 60

That works wonderfully for me on control mode 2.

What do the control modes do?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BlackMK4 posted:

I am also curious about this and haven't found any clear descriptions.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GutBomb posted:

I am also curious about this and haven't found any clear descriptions.

BlackMK4 posted:

Two things: slider presets and some behind the scenes stuff. The latter isn't very clear. Same slider settings on different controller modes behave differently, so possibly varying levels of dampening or assistance.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

cb rocks posted:

I have a copy on both Xbone and PS4, and I've been playing almost exclusively on the Xbox because I've got a wheel to use with it.
The game looks good, with the PS4 having the edge as it runs in 1080P.

On Xbone it's smooth 99% of the time, unless you do stupid poo poo like enable full weather and 40 cars on the grid. This never happens in the career, which presumably has sensible grids – I've not played the career mode so cannot confirm.

That said, I noticed two cases of the frame rate going for a ball of poo poo – and not like dips to 50fps, as reported in some reviews.

1) Monza. Grid of 20 cars incl. me. Weather set to change from Clear, to hazy, to light rain. Just before it started raining properly, the wet circuit was shimmering and this really punished the frame rate – I'm fairly sure it was down in the 30s, and it affected my driving. Once the rain picked up properly the performance improved.
2) Monza. Grid of 20 cars again. Clear weather, but about 3pm. In-car view. Here I noticed that the shadows across the track, on the main straight, causes the frame rate to be less-than-smooth, especially as I drove into the shadowed areas and the game had to draw the shadow alpha layers over the car's windshield.

This could be purely anecdotal, but it does fall in line with "sometimes things get busy and the Xbox One has a hiccup". I've not tried replicating the above scenarios on PS4 because I can't play the game with a controller.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I think it's interesting that SMS allowed players that ability to crush the frame rate with 45 car grids and weather. I could never imagine Turn 10 making that decision.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The grid is actually smaller then it was like two years ago. A much much earlier build had it at 64 cars.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Beyond 20 cars, I just don't get why.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Beyond 20 cars, I just don't get why.

High Speed Shenanigans.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 13, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Against AI its totally pointless, but having played iRacing, the bigger grids are fantastic with players as long as everyone is serious about it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Against AI its totally pointless, but having played iRacing, the bigger grids are fantastic with players as long as everyone is serious about it.

in non iRacing races, no-one is ever serious about it.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

orange juche posted:

in non iRacing races, no-one is ever serious about it.

I knew i was in the wrong thread

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So if it turns out I can't get my wheel to work well with the game (and this seems to be the case the more I futz around, it's not going well), what's the feeling about the wheel options out there today? Is Fanatec still top dog?

I have no intentions of buying high end stuff, don't really care about a gated shifter but a clutch pedal would be pretty nice.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

xzzy posted:

So if it turns out I can't get my wheel to work well with the game (and this seems to be the case the more I futz around, it's not going well), what's the feeling about the wheel options out there today? Is Fanatec still top dog?

I have no intentions of buying high end stuff, don't really care about a gated shifter but a clutch pedal would be pretty nice.

You're looking at a lot of money for a setup with clutch unless you get a g27.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Started on PS4 last night. Super fun so far, the sounds are fantastic. I decided after my first couple kart races to turn set all assists to realistic and turned off course line marker. I was pretty handedly besting everyone until I changed all those settings. I should probably just bump down the AI skill until I'm more comfortable cause I don't wanna turn assists on.

Its a little frustrating cause the AI seems to get through those weaving turns with a ton of speed and I can't seem to get through them without having to slow down a bunch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well yeah anything worth anything is going to cost a chunk of change.

It appears a base Fanatec solution would run around $400-500, but it looks like they're out of stock on some of the pedal options anyways.

I've never used the Logitech options, are they actually decent or do they stay popular just because of the price point?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

It appears a base Fanatec solution would run around $400-500, but it looks like they're out of stock on some of the pedal options anyways.

I've never used the Logitech options, are they actually decent or do they stay popular just because of the price point?

the G27 is the greatest price to performance investment you can make in a wheel. I love mine. The wheel is decent quality, and the most common complaint is the brake pedal, which is enhanced by a 10 dollar spring / shim / whatever.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

xzzy posted:

G25 / G27 are legit good wheels that fill the gap between cheap stuff and high end stuff really well.
Good compatibility and build quality for the price, I've had one for a couple of years with no issues.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The G27 is a great wheel.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

You should be able to get a fanatec setup for around $350 with the nice pedals though. I think the load cell pedals would be the main reason to buy one over a G27.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Norns posted:

Friends don't let friends drive carts with controller.

peep the hockenheim gp superkart leaderboards :smug:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

You should be able to get a fanatec setup for around $350 with the nice pedals though. I think the load cell pedals would be the main reason to buy one over a G27.

Load cells are my next upgrade. Then a real sequential shifter (I have my g27 h shifter with bunch of rubberbands right now)

Then a belt driven wheel.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Norns posted:

The G27 is a great wheel.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Norns posted:

I have my g27 h shifter with bunch of rubberbands right now
Oooooooooooooo.

I need rubberbands.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Who thought it was a good idea to put text messages at the bottom of the loving screen.

*is racing awesome.*

["You're in the lead! Time to take pole!"]

*runs headfirst into a loving wall.*

[edit] While I'm here: I *think * I understand what cold tires are supposed to be. Not as grippy. Can't push it as hard in the turns, etc... yeah? My question is why (on Superkarts so far, that's as far as I've gotten) the steering sensitivity is so insanely precise and drifty (as in, wants to pull to a side at the lightest touch...) on like, my first lap. But then poo poo feels REAL good and controlled in subsequent laps. Is that really just down to cold tires?!

[edit2] I guess it IS tires, because the Sprint Race starts me off in the green all warmed up and it's not so squirrely in the first lap.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 13, 2015

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
What happened to the Project Cars mumble channel on goonrathi?

e: nvm, am dumb

Falken fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 13, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Falken posted:

What happened to the Project Cars mumble channel on goonrathi?

it's under chivers rises from the ashes like that one bird

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also I cannot not almost crash in the Snetterton first Hairpin (Turn 2?) because of that one tree that looks like Bloodborne's "Joy" emote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Feenix posted:

Also I cannot not almost crash in the Snetterton first Hairpin (Turn 2?) because of that one tree that looks like Bloodborne's "Joy" emote.

See for me I almost crack up everytime that tree lumbers into view and crash because all I can see is this fuckin cat:

Yes I am a child

• Locked thread