Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Man, I was going to get a sick return according to H&R Block until I entered my wife's tax stuff. Now I owe like 1400 and she owed 15 bucks. How does that work? I thought taxes were individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

tuyop posted:

Man, I was going to get a sick return according to H&R Block until I entered my wife's tax stuff. Now I owe like 1400 and she owed 15 bucks. How does that work? I thought taxes were individual.

Without seeing the returns it is difficult to know for sure, however, what likely happened is since the program didn't have any of her information it transferred her basic personal amount (11,138 federally) to your return. So you were getting tax credits for 11K that you weren't entitled to.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I was about to get some sweet poor-people tax credits and poo poo until my wife ruined everything with her about-average earnings.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
So have we moved into a bear market? Or is this still within normal flucuations?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The bond markets are in a bear market. I don't know about stocks yet.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i currently have $10k of TFSA contribution room (i think? the CRA site implies here this is the case) and an emergency fund sitting in a savings account with my credit union earning next to nothing (1.65%). i can afford to make about $2k in contributions per month to my TFSA (until I reach the cap). are there any relatively safe but liquid TFSA eligible instruments I could move $10k of my emergency fund into or am I better off saving it for more aggressive investments (I am mostly invested in ETFs via qtrade) and just sitting on the extra room for now?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

the talent deficit posted:

i currently have $10k of TFSA contribution room (i think? the CRA site implies here this is the case) and an emergency fund sitting in a savings account with my credit union earning next to nothing (1.65%). i can afford to make about $2k in contributions per month to my TFSA (until I reach the cap). are there any relatively safe but liquid TFSA eligible instruments I could move $10k of my emergency fund into or am I better off saving it for more aggressive investments (I am mostly invested in ETFs via qtrade) and just sitting on the extra room for now?

You can always sell your tfsa mf but you will lose that contribution room for the year. TD e-series have a 90 day window iirc to mature so that selling the funds won't incur losses. If you have a LOC that could bridge an immediate need for funds this may make sense. If you do sell your mf early you incur a 1% (iirc) penalty and the sale will probably take a business day or two, so in your case can you survive without your 10k for several days and -$100 at the worst case?

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

the talent deficit posted:

Get yourself a Line of Credit and use that for emergencies. Put as much money as you possibly can into your TFSA as soon as you can. Invest it in low MER index funds and ETFs. Profit. Don't sit 10k @ 1.65.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 11, 2015

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Saltin posted:

Get yourself a Line of Credit and use that for emergencies.

:can:

Although that's what I do.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rick Rickshaw posted:

:can:

Although that's what I do.

Same. But I haven't touched an emergency fund for anything except like a car repair once in five years. A month or three of 7% interest < the 20% investments have been making that whole time, or the ~15% my debt was costing for three years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What's the best credit card for us $$ transactions? Amazon.ca visa?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

slidebite posted:

What's the best credit card for us $$ transactions? Amazon.ca visa?

Yup. Only one I'm aware of that doesn't pull your pants down to the tune of 2.5%, and instead converts at the spot forex rate.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy poo poo i didn't know you could get a spot rate cc anywhere.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Holy poo poo i didn't know you could get a spot rate cc anywhere.

No kidding. I guess it's time for babby's... second credit card. :downs:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hahaha holy poo poo. The Amazon.ca application had my third year undergrad apartment on record. Holy loving poo poo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks. So, follow up question about CCs:

How many CCs are too many? I have a Amex, PC MC and RBC Visa. My PC MC is generally my go-to card.

I've had the RBC Visa probably the least long out of all of them (5 years?) although the Amex is close. I got the Amex because of Costco and even though they are now MC I go to the US fairly often and they are still Amex there (for the time being at least!).

If I get an Amazon.ca card, should I just keep the RBC Visa or cancel it? Pros/cons to either? I rarely use it as it is, I suspect I'll use it even less if I get a different Visa.

I do not carry a balance on any of them it's just more what are the negatives of having them?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I wonder the same. I have four credit cards, but I only use my Amazon Visa regularly (because no USD fees). Combined total of about $9500 in credit with none of them carrying a balance.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You have too many CCs if you don't pay off the balance every month.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't think it matters. Right now we have... Two Amex cards, two mastercards and two visas. If anything, the rock bottom utilization rate is awesome.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So after applying for another card to get some sort of card with actual rewards they want me to print out a physical paper form, fill it out with all my banking details, account numbers, transit numbers, everything, sign it, and fax it to them. Is this normal? I've never had to do this signing up for a credit card before. It seems very invasive.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Man gently caress that. Amazon.ca visa took me like 2 minutes to apply for.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man gently caress that. Amazon.ca visa took me like 2 minutes to apply for.

Done and done. The card I was applying for did like 1.5%, this does 2% on amazon or 1% in general so averages out I guess. Now to cancel a bunch of my other cards I never ever use.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I have two CC, my Amex which is for travel (they have the great perks for international poo poo) and I just got an Amazon.ca card because I"m crazy.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
The Amazon Visa was comically easy to apply for. They also let you start charging to it via Amazon before the physical card even arrives.

Truly, we live in ludicrous times.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
just applied for it, that was waaaay too easy. Read through the forms, they mention making payment options available, but not what they are - is there an online option for it (through the site maybe?) or am I going to be doing this via a transfer from my bank?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JawKnee posted:

just applied for it, that was waaaay too easy. Read through the forms, they mention making payment options available, but not what they are - is there an online option for it (through the site maybe?) or am I going to be doing this via a transfer from my bank?

I'm sure you'll just be able to add visa as a payee in your online banking along with your account number.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK I'm going to get on this amazon.ca train too.

Are you guys applying with your SIN? I see it's optional. :ohdear:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

slidebite posted:

OK I'm going to get on this amazon.ca train too.

Are you guys applying with your SIN? I see it's optional. :ohdear:

I left it out - it asked me on the next page what the last 4 digits were, multiple choice style. It's not required.

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 13, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
gently caress no I'm not giving Jeff motherfucking bezos my sin.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Jeff Bezos can have all my sins if he wants. :swoon:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, yeah, that was pretty fast :stare:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Does a drone deliver you the physical card within 8 hours?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i had to call to talk to fraud prevention :eng99:

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 13, 2015

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

One lovely thing about the Amazon card is that there is no way to not get a statement mailed to you every month. I have like 2 years worth of amazon visa statements unopened in a pile on my desk that I keep meaning to bring to work to shred.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Kreez posted:

One lovely thing about the Amazon card is that there is no way to not get a statement mailed to you every month. I have like 2 years worth of amazon visa statements unopened in a pile on my desk that I keep meaning to bring to work to shred.

Yeah, wtf is the deal with that?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
It's run by a US bank. They're still in the dark ages. They don't even have chips in all their cards yet.

edit: I mean they just started to use chips in the US. The Amazon Visa has a chip of course. In case there was any confusion.

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 14, 2015

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Kreez posted:

Not even if you have an account online with Chase?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

gently caress no I'm not giving Jeff motherfucking bezos my sin.

This is stupid, it's attached to your credit report and is required for most financial institutions to have for tax reporting. That's why most automated credit report / applications can give you a multiple choice question with the last 4 digits as a verification question.

Ashley Madison posted:

Not even if you have an account online with Chase?

Afaik it's still a legal requirement in the U.S. To mail statements. They have weird rules around notice requirements and such but I'm really stale on them so this could be wrong.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It was optional you retarded sperglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

It was optional you retarded sperglord

This isn't dnd, so try to keep your deep and witty insults from making GBS threads up the thread, thanks. What I'm saying is that the minute you decide to do a credit check to get credit they're going to get it because it's a component of your credit file, so your decision to try to keep it from 'Jeff motherfucking bezos' serves only to increase the risk that they match you with the wrong credit file and deny you out of hand.

Good job on the insightful commentary though :hfive: