Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Notes from a Russian review I accidentally listened to (for an hour or so):

The concerns about players outlevelling the game by doing too many sidequests are (inelegantly) fixed - Geralt can only have so many upgrades active at once, no matter his level.

The sword talents may or may not be mostly +to damage, but signs are significantly altered by improving them - you can also choose a specific path for a sign to evolve along (narrow beam of fire versus a large fireball, for instance)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

Beeez posted:

What are the people who haven't played the other Witcher games supposed to do when they start asking you what you did in the previous Witcher games?

Isn't the world state feature completely optional, i.e. someone who knows nothing about the backstory will probably skip it and just go with the default stuff?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If I load a W2 save will the intro remind me what I did, because I really can't remember for half of the quests. I think I avoided trollicide and dracocide at least.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Comte, can you slip us the day one patch? We won't tell anyone. Promise.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you only give it to the people on #witcher3 it will stay in a small controlled circle honest.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I don't like these sorts of things because it's not about square milage. It's about frequency and density of "stuff", and even then, bigger isn't always better. That's why I think that video I linked above is a better way of showing the size of the world, even though they skip all the encounters and points of interest, you get a decent feel of the size of the world relative to the stuff inside it.

Space Engine is 10 gigaparsecs and has about 10 trillion galaxies.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Riso posted:

If you only give it to the people on #witcher3 it will stay in a small controlled circle honest.

I wouldn't share it, honest.

I'm pretty tempted to download the torrent since I paid for the game but don't have my key yet...

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Holy poo poo, it got fully leaked?!

You guys should just release on PC a week early. Why not? You'd curb PC piracy a bunch. People who would purchase will pirate to play a week early.

EDIT: Oh, NVM, they haven't gotten around the "day 1 patch".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I wouldn't share it, honest.

I'm pretty tempted to download the torrent since I paid for the game but don't have my key yet...

At least from the sites I'm aware of, the torrent is just the preload. Still gotta wait for the 19th (18th) for it to get unlocked. I'm super stoked and I finished my steam preload the other day. It's just staring at me. Waiting.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

If you chose not to "simulate witcher 2 save" that scene won't ever happen and we just set a default world state. Gamespot is also supposedly working on a little guide in case you want to customize your game but don't know anything about Witcher 2.

Thanks.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Kind of an aside from all the Witcher 3 excitement, but has anyone finished the first game with the FCR mod? It honestly feels like it's bugged and incompletable - which is pretty drat annoying when I'm 5 minutes from completing the game. I can basically stunlock the grand master with igni, and very slowly damage him. As soon as he gets to 50% health, he stuns me and heals back to full. I also can't kill the ifrits because the mod decided they're specters and thus need specter oil to kill, which I applied, but entering the battle removes all weapon enhancements.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Elukka posted:

Kind of an aside from all the Witcher 3 excitement, but has anyone finished the first game with the FCR mod? It honestly feels like it's bugged and incompletable - which is pretty drat annoying when I'm 5 minutes from completing the game. I can basically stunlock the grand master with igni, and very slowly damage him. As soon as he gets to 50% health, he stuns me and heals back to full. I also can't kill the ifrits because the mod decided they're specters and thus need specter oil to kill, which I applied, but entering the battle removes all weapon enhancements.

FCR in TW1 was an exercise in masochism that I did not hate myself enough to continue with.

IIRC, Flash's Mod was made by the same person before he went balls-to-the-wall ridiculous with FCR. CDPR even included it with the Enhanced Edition. It rebalances combat/makes things harder without making it bloody impossible.

On another note, daily shill to :getin: #witcher3 on synirc and be gay with us while we play TW2/TW1/Dishonored/Alpha Protocol/other games in anticipation.

Alpha Protocol is really good by the by, thank you to whomever pointed out it was $3 on Steam.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yeah, fortunately the save still loads without the mod. I saw a lot of positive opinions on it but it's really far more pain than it's worth. The difficulty is mostly fine except for some incredibly random spikes, as long as you pick easy enough options. It's just... those difficulty spikes are very painful and occasionally very stupid.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Something I've noticed in all the videos I've seen with the horse in a slow walk is that forward movement freezes for a slight moment in a set pattern. It annoys the gently caress out of me. Its like the moment it finishes an animation Geralt and horse freeze in place for a split second.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Did anyone ever play the fan / official adventures that came with The Witcher 1? Were any of them good?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Xander77 posted:

Did anyone ever play the fan / official adventures that came with The Witcher 1? Were any of them good?

STOP POSTING MUSIC VIDEOS IN YOUR POSTS

I'm putting a wicher contract out on you.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 13, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

1stGear posted:

It seemed like the "create world state" choices would be fairly detailed as well. The GameTrailers review had a brief shot of Geralt answering whether or not he killed Aryan La Valette.

Gamestar said it's only 5 choices you get to pick in that conversation (probably the ones that determine W2's ending).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I have a feeling that the consequences from previous games will be in the manner of ME3 callbacks rather than anything dramatic.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

GrossMurpel posted:

Gamestar said it's only 5 choices you get to pick in that conversation (probably the ones that determine W2's ending).

Likely. When they did the original competition way back when (sending them saves of all the possible endings) there were only a few variables that needed to be changed. Of course, I got too bogged down in the later acts and totally didn't see letting Aryan live or not as one of the key variables since it was in the damned prologue. More focused on Sile, letho, and saskia living or not.

So you have the flowchart branching at Aryan, then branching again at Roche/Iorveth (so we're at 4 branches now), then branching again at save Triss/Save (Saskia/Anais), for a total of 8 endings. That's it. From there you can also kill the dragon or not, but it doesn't materially change anything.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I'm putting a wicher contract out on you.
But... that's for monsters.

(Unless wicher's are a different thing entirely, of course)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The bug reports in the reviews have got me down.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rascyc posted:

The bug reports in the reviews have got me down.

Then don't play games at launch and wait for lower prices and patches. Open world games are going to have bugs.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Norns posted:

Then don't play games at launch and wait for lower prices and patches. Open world video games are going to have bugs.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

So, anyone use that Rise of the White Wolf mod? It's purely graphical right?

Going to be playing through TW1:EE. Wondering if its worth it. Most definitely getting the move speed one cause godamn.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

All the places that have loading screens are because they are hundreds of miles apart, it's a lore consideration, not a technical one. We could have easily put Skellige and Novigrad/Velen (which are one map) into the same map, but we assumed you guys wouldn't want to spend three days sailing over open ocean.

This seems kind of an odd decision to me, to be honest. Assassin's Creed's three cities are nowhere near each other in real life but ubisoft went and compressed the space so it wouldn't take you hours to get from place to place.

Cerepol posted:

Going to be playing through TW1:EE. Wondering if its worth it. Most definitely getting the move speed one cause godamn.
it adds some armor and music as well but you can choose not to install those bits.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Cerepol posted:

It's good. The new skyboxes are very nice as are the new character textures. Between that and Texturen, the graphics hold up extremely well.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lord Lambeth posted:

This seems kind of an odd decision to me, to be honest. Assassin's Creed's three cities are nowhere near each other in real life but ubisoft went and compressed the space so it wouldn't take you hours to get from place to place.

There are loading screens between all of AC's maps.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

1stGear posted:

There are loading screens between all of AC's maps.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he's talking about, every AC game I've played had loading screens and little interstitial zones that were meant to represent vast areas.

I mean, yeah, we could have just put Skellige 5 minutes from Novigrad, but it would have looked stupid and felt bad. If a single loading screen between two zones that are individually larger than Skyrim in square footage is a problem... man idk wtf.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Comte do you get told often enough how amazing Alpha Protocol is?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

cheesetriangles posted:

Comte do you get told often enough how amazing Alpha Protocol is?

Only here.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

You should get told more often - it was a really rad game.

Keep on working on rad games, dudes.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Only goons truly appreciate greatness, clearly.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

iGestalt posted:

You should get told more often - it was a really rad game.

Keep on working on rad games, dudes.

Nah, the game's poop. Dragon Age 2, on the other hand, is the game of the decade, let me tell you what!

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Jimbot posted:

Nah, the game's poop. Dragon Age 2, on the other hand, is the game of the decade, let me tell you what!

It's true.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I just played the Ruins mission while being specced for stealth. The spawning was kinda weird I guess but it was definitely better (and actually allowed for a stealth approach) than that loving part where you have to protect Surkov.
So good job :)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Cerepol posted:

the "new interface" looks terrible though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Norns posted:

Then don't play games at launch and wait for lower prices and patches. Open world games are going to have bugs.
On PC sure, but it's a little blah on consoles. But you're right, I forgot the game is pitching itself as truly open world so I should reframe my mindset for a messy launch.

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNVOTMx9oyA

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is realtime beard growth actually a feature in this game or was that just some confusion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Deaderinred posted:

the "new interface" looks terrible though.

It's not bad.

• Locked thread