Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Good, weapon durability feels like a pointless chore most of the time. And if they want to add an Even Easier mode so more people intimidated by the game will buy it well then fine by me. I do kinda hope there's a mode between Hard (Fairly Easy If You Know What You're Doing) and Lunatic (Hit My Genitals with a Framing Hammer) Modes though.

Next figure out how to bring back the Wars series IntSys.

It's more along the lines of Casual and Classic than it is towards Normal/Hard/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I just want Final Fantasy IX 3D. Is that too much to ask?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Since they lost the source code for that game, yep

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Volt Catfish posted:

Wait, what? I would've thought Final Fantasy source code (the PSX ones, no less) would be religiously preserved for eternal re-releases and ports.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Volt Catfish posted:

I thought that was just III?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

epitasis posted:

is bravely second like a straight sequel to bravely default or is it a new thing like final fantasy

I think this got lost on the last page so re-quoting in case anyone can help me

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

epitasis posted:

I think this got lost on the last page so re-quoting in case anyone can help me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravely_Second:_End_Layer#Story

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Volt Catfish posted:

Did they? It was available on PSP but you could pretty much run any PSX ISO on there fine with home brew so maybe they didn't need to gently caress with it much

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, what? I would've thought Final Fantasy source code (the PSX ones, no less) would be religiously preserved for eternal re-releases and ports.

Nope, the original source files for all 3 of them are gone forever. It was a standard practice at the time to delete everything once the game was done and move on to the next game. Hell, they deleted one of the Chocobo's Dungeon games before the source got sent to the translation team, so it wound up never getting translated.

Why do you think they keep dolling up and re-releasing the 1997 PC versions of VII and VIII?

Even then they're stuck with the original resolution backgrounds and FMVs because they can't be re-rendered without the source.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

goferchan posted:

Did they? It was available on PSP but you could pretty much run any PSX ISO on there fine with home brew so maybe they didn't need to gently caress with it much

Yeah the PSN version is basically the PSX ISO in an emulator so they wouldn't have had to recompile anything for it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Haha they're so dumb.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

greatn posted:

Haha they're so dumb.

The only reason the source code for any cartridge-based games is still available to be ripped and remastered is that the roms contain all of it. The practice didn't become an issue until prerendered backgrounds and FMVs became a thing with the advent of CD-based consoles.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Is there a source for any of this? I find it kind of hard to believe that any developer would delete source code for anything after a project is done.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Is there a source for any of this? I find it kind of hard to believe that any developer would delete source code for anything after a project is done.

I can't look it up at work, but one of the guys that worked on the PC ports of VII and VIII made a post detailing what went down with those. The PC port was outsourced to another company and they had a lot of trouble due to the unavailability of things like higher resolution textures/FMVs, or even the source to the game's engine.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Folt The Bolt posted:

It's more along the lines of Casual and Classic than it is towards Normal/Hard/whatever.

Yeah I mean sure you could play the mode where all of your characters revive at the end of a round on Hard but I think it still seems designed as an "I Win" button. Unless I'm misunderstanding it and Phoenix Mode doesn't turn all of your characters all unkillable monsters.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

From what I remember reading part of it was the fact that the higher price of hard drive storage even 15 years ago meant that companies didn't want to bother keeping source code/asset backups once the games were done. They would delete it to make room for new projects.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

I can't look it up at work, but one of the guys that worked on the PC ports of VII and VIII made a post detailing what went down with those. The PC port was outsourced to another company and they had a lot of trouble due to the unavailability of things like higher resolution textures/FMVs, or even the source to the game's engine.

I think I know what you're talking about, but it gave me the impression more that Square didn't have the resources to put together a competent source code package for Eidos to port and they basically had to clean up the mess Square left them as best they could.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ChaosArgate posted:

I believe it. Remember- the idea of patching, DLC, and continued development support in general is extremely recent in console games. In addition to that, the ESA's behavior reflects the general consensus of big-name publishers/developers: video games are a product to be consumed, not an artifact to be archived. Back when the idea of an HD remake didn't exist, and computer storage was still pretty expensive (I had like a 1GB hard drive in my PC when FFVII came out), it probably made a surprising amount of sense to management to just wipe all the drives between projects except for maybe the game engine itself.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 13, 2015

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zonekeeper posted:

That WOULD explain why FFVII PC was such an abortion of a port.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I mean, it wouldn't surprise me that Japanese developer studios in the 90's and early 00's just deleted their poo poo after the job was done. There was no point in reusing old game assets into newer ones, storage space (and care) was a premium service, and those companies weren't exactly known for planning ahead. But I searched around for any mention of "Chocobo Dungeon" and "source code" and the only thing I found mentioning their deletion was some guy on NeoGaf mentioning it once in 2011 and again in 2013 without anything to back it up. There seems to be absolutely no mention of this elsewhere and a Wikipedia-styled [citation needed] would be much appreciated here, because otherwise it's all hearsay.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the bbc used to tape over doctor who episodes too. it was more common than you might expect in various industries

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Zonekeeper posted:

The only reason the source code for any cartridge-based games is still available to be ripped and remastered is that the roms contain all of it. The practice didn't become an issue until prerendered backgrounds and FMVs became a thing with the advent of CD-based consoles.
Is that in reference to any cartridge-based game, or just the Final Fantasy titles? I recall hearing about how they had to cancel a "colorized" collection of the Gameboy Mega Man games, because the source code couldn't be found.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Awesome! posted:

the bbc used to tape over doctor who episodes too. it was more common than you might expect in various industries

I thought those episodes were lost in a fire? Also were they actually shot on video tape because if so, that's loving weird

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

maybe they just threw them out i dunno i read about it awhile ago. they said it was because of storage costs

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you can get tons of storage for a dollar a month !

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

Phoenix Mode that revives units who fall in battle at the end of the turn, instead of at the end of a chapter.

What the gently caress. How could you ever lose in Phoenix Mode?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fryhtaning posted:

That's probably the point.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Imagine the frustration of having used up every one of your weapons and being stuck with a whole army of weaponless idiots who can't do anything but be struck down and be revived every turn, only to do it again.

Now you know why they did away with weapon durability. :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fryhtaning posted:

It's a mode for people who are playing solely for the story/characters or for people who just wanna run through things quickly for, like, 100% support completion, you're not supposed to be able to lose.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And if you play on Classic and in the middle of the game go "I don't want to bother with this anymore, it's too hard, but I still wanna see the ending", you can switch down to Casual or Phoenix. You can't switch back up though.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

fount of knowledge posted:

Imagine the frustration of having used up every one of your weapons and being stuck with a whole army of weaponless idiots who can't do anything but be struck down and be revived every turn, only to do it again.

Now you know why they did away with weapon durability. :v:

I don't mind a game being difficult, and I can even cope with unit permadeath (otherwise XCOM:EU / EK wouldn't have had a chance at being one of my most favorite games of all time). But I just loathe gear durability mechanics. It does absolutely nothing for my enjoyment or 'tension'. I decided against picking up the FE games, and it's a factor in my decision to pick up certain other games when the 'feature' is present.

I'm not looking to fight with you or anybody about this and I absolutely mean no insult to anyone's intelligence that likes a gear durability mechanic; the feature's just not for me. And probably enough others whose money they want.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Yeah there are a lot of ~hardcore FE fans~ who are up in arms about weapon durability but I've never really thought it added much to the game. It was more tedious than challenging

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

~*japan*~

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Lots of people seem enjoy "challenge" via way of tedium(See: People who enjoy clickers/idle games or people who defend ludicrously low drop rates in RPGs). I don't get it at all, but whatever floats their boat.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Weapon durability is bad in every game. It's bad in Fire Emblem, it's bad in Dead Rising, it's bad in Dark Souls, it's bad everywhere. Just let me use my weapons!

So what's the point of Phoenix Mode, exactly? Who's so bad at the game they can't beat it on normal? If it's anything like FE:A, you could abdicate every turn and the enemies would kill themselves on your wall of paired up defense.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Cook posted:

So what's the point of Phoenix Mode, exactly?

some people just want to make animes kiss

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Suspicious Cook posted:

So what's the point of Phoenix Mode, exactly? Who's so bad at the game they can't beat it on normal? If it's anything like FE:A, you could abdicate every turn and the enemies would kill themselves on your wall of paired up defense.

It's a mode for people who don't care at all about the gameplay and just like the story/characters, or for people on their 7th playthrough for 100% reasons who just want to get the whole thing over with as quick as they can, I'd assume.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Reggie should be in your Plaza now for E3. He will likely be the only chance you ever have to get a Mii with "Hobby: Sports" for Battleground Z.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Minidust posted:

Is that in reference to any cartridge-based game, or just the Final Fantasy titles? I recall hearing about how they had to cancel a "colorized" collection of the Gameboy Mega Man games, because the source code couldn't be found.

I think any cartridge based game, at least through the 16-bit era. They would have been coded directly in the console's machine language, so the code in the ROM is the source - it wouldn't have been compiled from another language. (I have no in-depth knowledge in this field so any experienced romhacker/old school game dev can feel free to put me in my place.)

The only thing I can think of is that the GB Mega Man games were coded in a way that prevented proper colorization and colorizing them would have required a full rewrite of the games.

The things that would be lost from the original making of the game are any dev tools/debuggers that were left off the retail ROM as well as any cut content (level code, graphics assets, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That's hardly limited to Japan, yo.