Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

davey4283 posted:

I think if you pull the bone prior to smoking it may reduce your cook time but usually most people leave it in.

If a pork shoulder has been properly smoked then the bone should tear out with almost no effort and the meat that was attached will fall right of the bone.

Ah well, no worries, all part of the learning process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Cimber posted:

Well, got a 8.5 pound pork shoulder, that had skin and bone in.

Getting the skin off was not that hard. Getting the bone out was not that easy. I am afraid i made a mess of it, so the entire thing looks like crap right now. Oh well, poo poo happens. Is going to be torn apart with a fork anyways.

I have it sitting in the fridge overnight with the rub on, and tomorrow early i'll fire up the smoker and get this bad boy going.

Post a picture. If you've massacred it too badly, it might cook strangely.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

coronaball posted:

Post a picture. If you've massacred it too badly, it might cook strangely.

No pictures, the thing is in the garbage. It cooked very badly as part of it was burned to a crisp, while other parts were still pink. There was no bark, just charcoal on the outer skin.

So i hosed it up. Oh well, poo poo happens. I learned a bunch from this, so it was not a total waste.

a: I have to dump a shitload of charcoal into the firebox to get it above 200, and even then it doesnt last terribly long. The thing had smoke coming out of crack all over the place, I need to seal and seat the lid much better
b: I need baffles in the bottom to distribute heat and smoke better, as part of the grill was really hot, and parts of it were almost touchable by the hand.
c: I never ever should debone BBQ again, loving moron.
d: Edit: I should not put the meat right above the exit from the firebox, thats super hot.
e: Edit: I need to get a better thermometer. The stock one is garbage.

Lessons learned, will try again next weekend.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

At least pork shoulder is cheap eh? I remember my first, wasn't too pretty either.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jamsta posted:

At least pork shoulder is cheap eh? I remember my first, wasn't too pretty either.

12 bucks down the drain. i really need a new thermometer. looking at this: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometers/maverick-et-732-redi-check

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Cimber posted:

12 bucks down the drain. i really need a new thermometer. looking at this: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometers/maverick-et-732-redi-check

these are good thermometers. Highly recommend.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Cimber posted:

Get this. Couldn't ask for a better one.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

Cimber posted:

Just wanted to add that my smoking and grilling results improved dramatically after buying one of these. Being able to monitor both cooker and meat temps accurately makes it easier and more fun.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
smoking wings and then grilling them on high for just a few minutes to crisp them is loving awesome.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Cimber posted:

I should probably pick one of those up before taking my pork out of the freezer...

I had a decently functional cheap one like that, but I left part of it outside in the rain one night, and it completely filled with water.

And then I said "well, I guess that needs to dry out", and ended up leaving it outside all winter, haha

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

adorai posted:

smoking wings and then grilling them on high for just a few minutes to crisp them is loving awesome.

Cold smoking wings is the key to how Momofuku does theirs and it's delicious.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Ooooh. Was looking at the Maverick probes and saw the Maverick ET-735 . Bluetooth and input for 4 probes. Only another 30 bucks over the 732....

fake edit - Nope, 732 it is. The app looks like a streaming pile of crap and crashes are not being fixed by the developer. Pity.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Canuckistan posted:

Ooooh. Was looking at the Maverick probes and saw the Maverick ET-735 . Bluetooth and input for 4 probes. Only another 30 bucks over the 732....

fake edit - Nope, 732 it is. The app looks like a streaming pile of crap and crashes are not being fixed by the developer. Pity.

Yeah, i said the same thing, and I went ahead and ordered the 732. It should arrive friday, so Saturday I'll test it out and retry the pork butt.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

First brisket in the new backwoods complete. Lovin' it.

No smoke ring shots tonight.. Too tired to carve.. wrapped in a cooler til I wake.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Digital_Jesus posted:

First brisket in the new backwoods complete. Lovin' it.

No smoke ring shots tonight.. Too tired to carve.. wrapped in a cooler til I wake.

Holy moly that looks great. Do post pics of carvings. Good work

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

End of the flat was a bit overcooked but it was on the thin side and I didn't really trim it.

All in all came out great.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Digital_Jesus posted:

End of the flat was a bit overcooked but it was on the thin side and I didn't really trim it.

All in all came out great.

That looks really good.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Digital_Jesus posted:

End of the flat was a bit overcooked but it was on the thin side

Burnt ends are flavorful pieces of meat cut from the point half of a smoked brisket. A traditional part of Kansas City barbecue, burnt ends are considered a delicacy in barbecue cooking.

Edit: I know that says point and you said flat but really burnt ends can be from either end.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Overcooked is not synonymous with "Burned".

It was like 2 degrees above temp and fell apart instead of slicing. Also gently caress Kansas City, Texas Beef is king.

e: Flat also sucks for burnt ends because of it's lack of fat, especially at the edges. Unless you want to baste it in drippings before saucing / letting it char beyond oblivion.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 13, 2015

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I just bought a Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker from Amazon that showed up today.

I'm pretty excited to get into smoking to broaden my meat choices and cooking styles.

Going to do chicken thighs and sausages tonight.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Regnevelc posted:

I just bought a Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker from Amazon that showed up today.

I'm pretty excited to get into smoking to broaden my meat choices and cooking styles.

Just be aware that with chicken with skin on that the skin will not get crispy. You can always throw it on a very hot grill to crisp it or something though.

I have the 40" MB and love it. It is basically set it and forget it except for adding more wood chips to longer smokes and misting certain things with apple juice.

Go get yourself a nice large pork butt/shoulder and make some pulled pork. It's hard to mess up and makes a lot cheaply and can be frozen easily.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Regnevelc posted:

Don't forget to let that thing sit up a few hours at the highest temp it will run so it burns off all the oils and poo poo from the factory out of it.

My 40" is essentially dead (again) now. =/

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Don't forget to let that thing sit up a few hours at the highest temp it will run so it burns off all the oils and poo poo from the factory out of it.

Yeah I forgot about burning off all the crud but that is in the manual I believe. You do read manuals right? :)

What is wrong with your 40"?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Will do, I was planning on doing meats tonight, but maybe I'll just prep it tonight and cook tomorrow evening on it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Trastion posted:

What is wrong with your 40"?

I will plug it in, set the time/temp, turn it on, it will fire up for a brief moment then trip the gfci outlet it is plugged into, repeat x forever.

This occurred a while back, when it was just about to go out of its extended warranty period I had on it, it was determined to be a shorted out heating element, which was replaced and solved the problem....for a while, it may be this same thing again and or the wiring harness is hosed up in the unit.

I may invest the money to try the heating element again, just don't want to keep plinking away at it that way if I don't need to.

Regnevelc posted:

Will do, I was planning on doing meats tonight, but maybe I'll just prep it tonight and cook tomorrow evening on it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah read the manual as suggested already, it mentions that process, also I recall spraying down the interior of the unit with PAM when doing that burn in routine, this was many years ago however.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Also please be aware that smoking chicken is at a significantly different temperature than most other cuts of traditional BBQ meat.

Don't make rubber. Smoke your chicken at 300 or so and don't forget to scrape the fat out from under the skin. I usually do mine around 345-365.

I guess if you can't get your cooker that hot you can just use the grill to finish it. Seriously though, unwrap the skin from the thighs, scrape out most of the fat, put the rub under the skin with a small amount of butter and then rewrap the skin around and rub the outside.

Chicken is IMO the second hardest meat to do, especially for comp turn ins.

Chickens fuckin brutal.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 13, 2015

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
The first time I made chicken on my WSM I goofed. I had read ON THE INTERNET that you can take off the grill and put it above the coal ring and crisp the skin that way. I tried that and within 5 seconds I had charred chicken. I guess I should have knocked the coals down and spread them around or something but I loving ruined that poor chicken.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Bought a 22.5 weber grill last week in addition to my WSM, I guess I can use this to do some smoking as well, but is there a point to that given that I got my 18.5 WSM? I figure the WSM would do all that slow cooking stuff better anyway. Though I see lots of videos with people who have all kinds of equipment still use their trusty weber kettles anyway. So what gives?

Made bacon burgers on it that time.
Also this is a 3-vent old style weber they used to make before going to the one-touch system, for some reason they reintroduced it in europe as a cheaper alternative.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Yeah read the manual as suggested already, it mentions that process, also I recall spraying down the interior of the unit with PAM when doing that burn in routine, this was many years ago however.

Per the manual, it says to crank it to 275 for 3 hours and in the last hour add chips, so I'm going to be doing that.

I'll do my thighs and sausage tomorrow as once this is complete it'll be like 10PM.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Bone_Enterprise posted:

I will plug it in, set the time/temp, turn it on, it will fire up for a brief moment then trip the gfci outlet it is plugged into, repeat x forever.

This occurred a while back, when it was just about to go out of its extended warranty period I had on it, it was determined to be a shorted out heating element, which was replaced and solved the problem....for a while, it may be this same thing again and or the wiring harness is hosed up in the unit.

I may invest the money to try the heating element again, just don't want to keep plinking away at it that way if I don't need to.

While I know nothing about your smoker other than the pictures I've seen here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/masterbuilt-electric-smokehouse-heating-element-upgrade-how-to I do own a hot tub. I bought a house that had a hottub built into the deck but the heater would instantly trip the GFCI breaker in the basement, so I was in a similar situation as you.

I found that using a small wire brush around the base of the terminals of the heater worked to remove the corrosion that was causing the short to ground. Judging by this guys photos, I bet you have tons of gunk built up on or near those terminals from previous smokes. Give it a good cleaning and metal brushing and see if that helps. Also keep in mind that if try to smoking when it was hot in the day then it's damp and cool at night, condensation can build up on the the heater terminals causing it to short next time you use it.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or you could just remove the GFCIs. drat things are a pain in the rear end anywhere outside of the bathroom anyway.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Within the next few weeks, I'll be buying a kamado for both grilling and smoking and it occured to me that when I do a smoke, maybe I could also roast some garlic while I'm smoking my pork. Is this a bad idea or a friggin sweet idea?

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Anybody have a good baked bean recipe?

I was thinking of smoking some kind of sausage (maybe knockwurst or something) over a pan of beans, and then cutting up the sausage to make smoked beanie weenies.

We already have a bunch of people bringing meat to this cookout, so I'm trying to come up with something that isn't just straight up pork.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

BLARGHLE posted:

Anybody have a good baked bean recipe?

I was thinking of smoking some kind of sausage (maybe knockwurst or something) over a pan of beans, and then cutting up the sausage to make smoked beanie weenies.

We already have a bunch of people bringing meat to this cookout, so I'm trying to come up with something that isn't just straight up pork.

I've been making http://seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/quick-barbecue-beans-recipe.html with success for a bit. I use just navy beans though, that get more tender than the larger brands the recipe calls for.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I smoked my first pork shoulder today, off of the first pig I've ever butchered. Over mixed oak, maple, and cherry. It shrunk a bit, but it tasted amazing. So much love and cake went into that animal.

I've had a pretty rad birthday.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 16, 2015

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
That's some serious bark going on there. I've never had anything that dark. What temp did you smoke it at?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Canuckistan posted:

That's some serious bark going on there. I've never had anything that dark. What temp did you smoke it at?

It got up to 350ish (according to the probably super inaccurate grill thermometer) at one point, but I brought it down to "275". It's a super old oil can grill, but Jeff, my boss's husband and my good buddy, smokes some insane stuff on it. He's like the old kung-fu master beating up ninja guys with a tree limb. Except he's an angry gulf war vet that's focused his rage on making really good BBQ. He set the logs and kindling up for the fire, but I had to wing everything else. It was about 3 hours on the grill.

FEEL THE BEAST

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

atothesquiz posted:

While I know nothing about your smoker other than the pictures I've seen here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/masterbuilt-electric-smokehouse-heating-element-upgrade-how-to I do own a hot tub. I bought a house that had a hottub built into the deck but the heater would instantly trip the GFCI breaker in the basement, so I was in a similar situation as you.

I found that using a small wire brush around the base of the terminals of the heater worked to remove the corrosion that was causing the short to ground. Judging by this guys photos, I bet you have tons of gunk built up on or near those terminals from previous smokes. Give it a good cleaning and metal brushing and see if that helps. Also keep in mind that if try to smoking when it was hot in the day then it's damp and cool at night, condensation can build up on the the heater terminals causing it to short next time you use it.
Mine terminals are still essentially "clean" as I have not done too many smokes since replacing the whole element, it just has got very freaking sensitive.

Zeno-25 posted:

Or you could just remove the GFCIs. drat things are a pain in the rear end anywhere outside of the bathroom anyway.
Yeah this is the better resolution.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Suspect Bucket posted:

It got up to 350ish (according to the probably super inaccurate grill thermometer) at one point, but I brought it down to "275". It's a super old oil can grill, but Jeff, my boss's husband and my good buddy, smokes some insane stuff on it. He's like the old kung-fu master beating up ninja guys with a tree limb. Except he's an angry gulf war vet that's focused his rage on making really good BBQ. He set the logs and kindling up for the fire, but I had to wing everything else. It was about 3 hours on the grill.

FEEL THE BEAST

That seems like much higher heat than usually desired for smoking a shoulder. I try to never let my temp get above 250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Crazyeyes posted:

That seems like much higher heat than usually desired for smoking a shoulder. I try to never let my temp get above 250.

In my defense, I had very little control over the ancient fire rust monster. It it's defense, the pork was amazing. And who knows how accurate that thermometer was. I'll bring my probe and IR next time to get a better idea of what's going on. Or maybe that will impart some kind of observer effect, and the act of observing will change the outcome of the deliciousness particles acting on meatons and then BARBEQUE WAVE FUNCTION COLLAPSE