Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elias_Maluco posted:

Just marry him before you land him.

But yeah, elective gavelkind is awful.

Yeah but you lose a lot of control like that. But assuming you don't care about that, you still have to make sure you either land him and then don't land anyone else (since vassals seem to usually vote for the most recently landed son all things being equal), or land him last but then you have to deal with the other sons having had a bunch of lead time to build factions and loyalties of their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

ThaumPenguin posted:

cybrxkhan, the guy behind VIET - Vanilla Immersion Events and Traits, and CPR - Cultures and Portraits Revamp is retiring from modding.

You mean no more creepy teeth cleaning events and events telling me how awesome incest is?

Awesome.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You mean no more creepy teeth cleaning events and events telling me how awesome incest is?

Awesome.

Potentially no more TES references either.

If I remember correctly, there was at least some members of the mod team who was not too fond of cybrxkhan's particular brand of humour making its way into the mod, so we might see quite a bit of gutting at some point in the future.

I'm basing that on very little information though, so take it with a lot of salt.

Anyway, I hope the Immersion module actually comes back at some point, it was a lot of fun.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 13, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Ragnarr's brother

welp, found your problem.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

welp, found your problem.

loving Rollo.

I just plotted to kill him before he managed to have kids and inherited his poo poo. The elective gavelkind really promotes kinslaying.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Moridin920 posted:

loving Rollo.

I just plotted to kill him before he managed to have kids and inherited his poo poo. The elective gavelkind really promotes kinslaying.

Studying up on the Franks and trust me, brothers killed brothers and nephews like crazy.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
"Kinslayer" needs to be entirely reworked. The way Paradox has it now is beyond dumb.

Some rear end in a top hat 3 generations removed from me, but with my last name, literally murdered my character's mother, and when I executed him, I got Kinslayer.

So my siblings now hate me. If anything I should get a loving bonus to relations with them.

Kinslayer shouldn't fire if the killed target:
1)Is heathen, heretic, or excommunicated
2)Has any other justification for executing them
3)Is any kind of kin that doesn't have a name. So if it's not a sibling, parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or first cousin, guess what, it's not kin. Toss in your in-laws, because why not. They're probably more Kin than eighth cousin Ricardo Ricardez Piast over in loving Spain. Seriously, why does it go by dynasty name rather than actual loving relation? I want a better explanation than :effort:

Seriously. You should gain the "Just" trait for being willing to not play favorite with your "relatives"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

"Kinslayer" needs to be entirely reworked. The way Paradox has it now is beyond dumb.

Some rear end in a top hat 3 generations removed from me, but with my last name, literally murdered my character's mother, and when I executed him, I got Kinslayer.

So my siblings now hate me. If anything I should get a loving bonus to relations with them.

3)Is any kind of kin that doesn't have a name. So if it's not a sibling, parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or first cousin, guess what, it's not kin. Toss in your in-laws, because why not. They're probably more Kin than eighth cousin Ricardo Ricardez Piast over in loving Spain. Seriously, why does it go by dynasty name rather than actual loving relation? I want a better explanation than :effort:

Seriously. You should gain the "Just" trait for being willing to not play favorite with your "relatives"

Maybe some kind of intrigue action to de-kin a dynasty member. Could work as long as you had a mechanic akin to perhaps increasing negative modifiers similar to "political concerns" that stack with increased use of the mechanic over a lifetime.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014
You guys know that feeling when you're one loving province away from becoming the Saoshyant and then half the country revolts, and then somehow a vassal loses a war to their vassal who becomes independant and you lose that province, and then Seljuk invades, and then the country revolts again, and then that SAME VASSAL LOSES THAT SAME WAR TO KURDISTAN AGAIN? MEHRAB WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? I JUST NEED THAT ONE loving PROVINCE JUST THE ONE MEHRAB AND YOU'RE OVER HERE making GBS threads ALL OVER THE loving PLACE TRYING TO SOMEHOW LOSE AGAIN! I'm just trying to save humanity guys I'm really trying here.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I think an entire revenge event line would be pretty cool to have. If one of your kids/wife/parents gets murdered it should fire off a rather complex event chain ranging from abduction of the killer into your prison, a straight assassination option or an invasion claim if you meet certain requirements.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
After 100 years of Sweden just being the blue blob in the north some Sorbian King yanked one of my daughters as a concubine.

This is gonna be some medieval Taken poo poo.

Shions of Qud

Tinkle
Sep 26, 2006
As useful as a trapdoor on a lifeboat.
Isint there an "Absolve sins" interaction with the pope in the intrigue menu that gets rid of kinslayer? Or am I completely wrong and pulling this from a mod?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

After spending at least a century nibbling away at the Persian blob in holy war after holy war I found out that I had a dude with a claim on all of Persia in my court. So I pressed his claim and voila, slightly prettier borders.

A few decades earlier

You should not expand at all, if it's going to make your borders look bad.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You've done the CK2 equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

YouTuber posted:

I think an entire revenge event line would be pretty cool to have. If one of your kids/wife/parents gets murdered it should fire off a rather complex event chain ranging from abduction of the killer into your prison, a straight assassination option or an invasion claim if you meet certain requirements.
There's not nearly enough options to seek petty yet mostly justified vengeance against people. Another great option would be if you married your daughter to some ruler and his favored heir isn't her kid, she should totally get dad/mom on the line and start discussing pruning her husband's family tree a little.

EDIT: Also if your younger brothers are Friends you should be flipping the gently caress out because non-heirs should be trying to gently caress with the heir for their own benefit even if they're not trying to kill him. Lots of people advanced themselves at their brothers' expenses without outright stabbing them.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 14, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Franks are done. :woop:

Now onto the Lombards.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Veryslightlymad posted:

Could not possibly loving agree more with all of this.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You've done the CK2 equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig.

I needed to take Persia because a holy order vassal of theirs held like 7 baronies in Spain and was preventing me from properly restoring the imperial borders.

Also you aren't really a proper Roman unless you spend a lot of time fighting the Persians and in my campaigns twisted version of history the Persians were constantly at civil war because half of them were heretics and their kings were morons so I actually won. I just need to take the rest of Central Asia and all of India and the borders should be better.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 14, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Knuc U Kinte posted:

They may take our lives... but they'll never take... OUR PRETTY BORDERS!! :black101:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Is the most recent release of Game of Thrones mod super crashy or is it just me?? Seems like I can't get more than a few years without it just deciding to stop.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Eric the Mauve posted:

Could not possibly loving agree more with all of this.

I had some rando unlanded rear end in a top hat with my last name murder my supergenius, designated heir daughter, and when I had the murderer summarily executed, it sparked a rebellion which tore the empire of Scandinavia in half. By the time I put that to bed, letting the rebels expire in the dungeon so as to not sully my name any further, I had earned the epithet "the Cruel." He killed my kid, what do you want me to do you shitheads.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

Is the most recent release of Game of Thrones mod super crashy or is it just me?? Seems like I can't get more than a few years without it just deciding to stop.

Save often, that's the only thing you can do. The mod team doesn't release bugfixes unless it's with a full release, which just introduces more bugs that cause crashes so it's stuck in an eternal cycle.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Makes it loving impossible to get to a decent size without going feudal unless you do some super game-y poo poo.

There is, you just absolutely never stop killing. Reform the faith with you first character by murdering everyone who stands in your way, all the time. You have good CBs for a reason.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Swedish Horror posted:

Save often, that's the only thing you can do. The mod team doesn't release bugfixes unless it's with a full release, which just introduces more bugs that cause crashes so it's stuck in an eternal cycle.

Yeah I'm just not going to play. Shame, it's much more polished than it used to be otherwise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Veryslightlymad posted:

3)Is any kind of kin that doesn't have a name. So if it's not a sibling, parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or first cousin, guess what, it's not kin.

Why overcomplicate matters? Just make it so Kinslayer doesn't fire if the target has Kinslayer. You're removing a blot from the family escutcheon and redeeming your dishonour.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
When did plots have prices added to them? Could it be that they did that "money makes up for low plot percentage" thing?

Also, have the tribal Manicheans in the far east always started with, respectively, Tanistry and ultimogeniture?

Tbh, gavelkind only bothers me now in that it's annoying not knowing or having control over who inherits what. If you could have a little screen, where you moved titles around until they were equal or just got exactly what everyone gets after you croak it, it would be better.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tinkle posted:

Isint there an "Absolve sins" interaction with the pope in the intrigue menu that gets rid of kinslayer? Or am I completely wrong and pulling this from a mod?

There totally is, my Eireman game had the Pope say "Hey, noticed you killed your brother to get Scotland back, I can take care of that for you, wink wink." It was a fired event and not an interaction, but I honestly didn't look for an interaction.

I realize that this is how it worked in medieval times, but the actual concept of absolution is weird. Like, everyone (Except the actual relatives of the murdered dude) just goes "Oh, the Poop of Room says you're cool, guess we can forget all about that nasty little exploding inn incident."

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dareon posted:

I realize that this is how it worked in medieval times, but the actual concept of absolution is weird. Like, everyone (Except the actual relatives of the murdered dude) just goes "Oh, the Poop of Room says you're cool, guess we can forget all about that nasty little exploding inn incident."
Well in real life terms they actually didn't think that, and the associated bullshit with the Pope thinking he could just absolve people or approve things that were supposed to be sins and priests selling you immunity to crimes you hadn't committed yet kept exploding into heresies and eventually the Reformation.

In game terms though, yeah essentially everyone just kinda forgets you did it, because you lose the modifier and the modifier is where the opinion penalty comes from. A more specific individual modifier for direct victims of a kinslaying might help, so that everyone else kind of looks the other way because you're a decent king but the immediate family of the person murdered nurses the grudge even though the Church has absolved it. I don't know if a specific enough modifier can be made to exist though.

EDIT: I guess when you kinslay his most direct relatives could get the option to become a Rival?

Nakar fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 14, 2015

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Nakar posted:

In game terms though, yeah essentially everyone just kinda forgets you did it, because you lose the modifier and the modifier is where the opinion penalty comes from. A more specific individual modifier for direct victims of a kinslaying might help, so that everyone else kind of looks the other way because you're a decent king but the immediate family of the person murdered nurses the grudge even though the Church has absolved it. I don't know if a specific enough modifier can be made to exist though.

EDIT: I guess when you kinslay his most direct relatives could get the option to become a Rival?

The game already does this. If your complicity in a successful plot is discovered, the victim's children and siblings (maybe parents too) will become your rivals or, at the very least, hate your guts.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nakar posted:

Well in real life terms they actually didn't think that, and the associated bullshit with the Pope thinking he could just absolve people or approve things that were supposed to be sins and priests selling you immunity to crimes you hadn't committed yet kept exploding into heresies and eventually the Reformation.

There's already a negative modifier for relatives of people you murder(and it's huge). It's just that Kinslayer gives you an active penalty with everyone. Even if the Pope absolves you of it, the family of the murdered dude is not pleased with you. It's just that everyone stops caring.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

cock hero flux posted:

There's already a negative modifier for relatives of people you murder(and it's huge). It's just that Kinslayer gives you an active penalty with everyone. Even if the Pope absolves you of it, the family of the murdered dude is not pleased with you. It's just that everyone stops caring.
What's the problem then, exactly? Killing relatives was considered a grave sin but I imagine a lot of people didn't care that much about some random rear end in a top hat two kingdoms over murdering his cousin and then only to the extent that the law or church allowed them to act upset about it. If that gets rescinded I'd think they'd go right back to not really giving as much of a poo poo since, as someone pointed out earlier, people were killing the poo poo out of their relatives anyway during this time period.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Jedit posted:

Why overcomplicate matters? Just make it so Kinslayer doesn't fire if the target has Kinslayer. You're removing a blot from the family escutcheon and redeeming your dishonour.

This is actually a fantastically elegant solution, and might not even take much effort to mod in.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nakar posted:

What's the problem then, exactly? Killing relatives was considered a grave sin but I imagine a lot of people didn't care that much about some random rear end in a top hat two kingdoms over murdering his cousin and then only to the extent that the law or church allowed them to act upset about it. If that gets rescinded I'd think they'd go right back to not really giving as much of a poo poo since, as someone pointed out earlier, people were killing the poo poo out of their relatives anyway during this time period.

I don't think Kinslayer should really be a thing at all, or at least not something that applies literally every time you kill someone related to you.

Like even if your cousin murdered all your children and is currently in jail because he launched a rebellion and tried to put your head on a pike, if you execute him everyone hates you. It's dumb.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You should be able to do a penance to get rid of kinslayer. Charles the Bald did that, I believe.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's an Event for that already.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

cock hero flux posted:

I don't think Kinslayer should really be a thing at all, or at least not something that applies literally every time you kill someone related to you.

Like even if your cousin murdered all your children and is currently in jail because he launched a rebellion and tried to put your head on a pike, if you execute him everyone hates you. It's dumb.
Jedit's proposal should fix that, right? Because that guy would be a Kinslayer. The only edge case would be a person who is a traitor but hasn't killed anyone, which should just prevent Kinslayer from firing because if you have a valid legal reason to execute someone then you're not really "murdering" them. You're not even the person killing the character when you execute them according to various flavor events, you're having some dude hang them or behead them or whatever.

Basically I guess it should only apply to exposed plots, duels, random event murders, and executions that would incur tyranny.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
So I was just playing my best game yet where I had all of Ireland except Ulster under my control and I had a strong claim to much of Scotland and then all of a sudden CKII decides it has a bug where it crashes when I try to save. Please kill me.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
There's no way to prevent counts from rebelling against your vassal dukes, is there? I did a tribal --> feudal switch with Finland and made sure all the dukes had a Stone Hillfort beforehand, so it would be their responsibility to upgrade the rest of the poo poo in their duchy.

Instead, there's just constant rebellions from the tribals while I have to sit there going "I totally have enough troops to help but can't for some reason, so you're on your own, buddy."

the great deceiver posted:

So I was just playing my best game yet where I had all of Ireland except Ulster under my control and I had a strong claim to much of Scotland and then all of a sudden CKII decides it has a bug where it crashes when I try to save. Please kill me.
Autosave?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

There's no way to prevent counts from rebelling against your vassal dukes, is there? I did a tribal --> feudal switch with Finland and made sure all the dukes had a Stone Hillfort beforehand, so it would be their responsibility to upgrade the rest of the poo poo in their duchy.

Instead, there's just constant rebellions from the tribals while I have to sit there going "I totally have enough troops to help but can't for some reason, so you're on your own, buddy."

Autosave?

Autosave or manual save. It crashes almost every time. I disabled autosave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

the great deceiver posted:

Autosave or manual save. It crashes almost every time. I disabled autosave.
Do you have the game of thrones mod installed? That's apparently responsible for a whole lot of those C++ saving crash errors.

• Locked thread