Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is becoming progressively more hilarious every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

I'm pretty sure all those troops who lost friends to IEDs and are now out on the streets following a dishonorable discharge because of their TBI and, as a result can't get treatment for that or their PTSD are happy to hear Bush refusing to make a decision in deference to the "sacrifices they made".

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Scott Walker demonstrates his impressive subtraction skills.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

The Scott Walker approach to the question. Let's see how that shakes out for you

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

The Scott Walker approach to the question. Let's see how that shakes out for you

Walker's still presumptive front runner in Iowa despite likening geopolitics to fighting not a union, so Bush might be on to something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jeb's press manager needs to get fired for real.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

GalacticAcid posted:

Scott Walker demonstrates his impressive subtraction skills.

He's technically correct. That's very difficult to believe.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Put this man on a bicycle generator and he could power the entire state of florida for a week

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm more hyped for these republican presidential primary debates than any movie coming out in the next two years.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

I guess we can all see now why the Koch bros want Walker

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm pretty sure all those troops who lost friends to IEDs and are now out on the streets following a dishonorable discharge because of their TBI and, as a result can't get treatment for that or their PTSD are happy to hear Bush refusing to make a decision in deference to the "sacrifices they made".

"Speculating whether or not we send troops to die for reasons that are fabricated is insensitive to the people sacrificing themselves for fabricated reasons."

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Why did George get tapped over Jeb in the first place? I remember a lot of people saying that Jeb was the one who had been groomed to be president but for some reason his brother was chosen instead.

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is becoming progressively more hilarious every time

Also this. God, it's so nice to finally watch somebody take some flak about Iraq. His bungling just makes it all the sweeter.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Internet Webguy posted:

"Speculating whether or not we send troops to die for reasons that are fabricated is insensitive to the people sacrificing themselves for fabricated reasons."

This was peddled by chickenhawks in general.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Says the man actively participating in the most expensive and public contest of hypotheticals in the history of the world.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Why did George get tapped over Jeb in the first place? I remember a lot of people saying that Jeb was the one who had been groomed to be president but for some reason his brother was chosen instead.

Jeb lost his first run for Governor of Florida, making W the only one with more than a couple months in a government job at the time of the 2000 primary.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, but companies also tend not to be run by black men.

What about Godfather's Pizza?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mlmp08 posted:

He's technically correct. That's very difficult to believe.

I know 2015 minus 505 doesn't equal 1607, so at the least he shouldn't be using that image with that quote.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

I know 2015 minus 505 doesn't equal 1607, so at the least he shouldn't be using that image with that quote.

:thejoke: : it is, in fact, hard to believe that it has been 505 years since 1607.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

That's... an interesting way to look at American history I suppose.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Someone just doesn't properly understand the Mandate of Heaven.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
It's like that one time Tucker Carlson said Americans had the moral authority to invade countries because we're the only country in the world who doesn't use our military to preserve and expand our global hegemony. Not just him, this view and Rubio's are well within the conservative mainstream.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Why the gently caress would we want more territory? The poors and browns live in all the places we expand freedom to. Just send us resources and we're all good.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

ShutteredIn posted:

I'd like to see him work that into his stump speech on an indian reservation.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ShutteredIn posted:

So we just needed Freiheitraum?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

But because their minds are addled with the awful swill they pretend is quality maple syrup - it is poisonous compared to Vermont's superior product

And for some actual content:

""Washington Post Editorial" posted:

It’s only Wednesday, but it’s already been a lousy week for Hillary Clinton. Trying to ride the populist tiger, remain silent on key issues and not be a target in the inequality wars would be a hard balancing act for any politician, but for one without much political grace and a problematic record, she has her hands full.

The populist wave washed over the White House yesterday with a shellacking from President Obama’s own party on the trade agenda. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), as she did on banking and on the president’s nominee for the No. 3 spot at Treasury, drove the debate and stood up to the president — from the left. Clinton did not have the nerve to do so or to bolster the president, once again showing that her caution paralyzes her and makes her irrelevant. She gets no kudos from either Obama or the anti-free trade left. Once again Democrats are reminded: The only thing Hillary Clinton stands for is getting Hillary Clinton elected.

As the The Post editorial board put it, “So powerful has the opposition on the left become, in fact, that it has turned the party’s presumptive presidential nominee, Hillary Clinton, into a quiet follower on the issue, rather than the forceful leader she once was — and still could be. While her opponents for the Democratic nomination populistically posture, all she has mustered are a couple of anodyne remarks.” The same could be said on Iran, Israel, Iraq and even the Keystone XL pipeline.

Then we shift to the poverty debate. Obama joined a discussion at Georgetown University, telling the audience not to demonize opponents — while demonizing his opponents. As USA Today reported, the American Enterprise Institute’s Arthur Brooks had to admonish the president not to castigate the House and Senate GOP leaders. “We have to be really careful not to impugn their motives, and impugning motives on the other side is the number-one barrier against making progress.” Obama and indeed all Democrats can never talk at length about poverty without making the discussion about inequality; it’s not enough to discover and combat the root causes of poverty — you have to take money away from the rich. (That we have spent trillions on poverty programs that haven’t worked suggests more money is not a panacea.) But who is the poster girl for cronyism, the 1 percent, the greed and refusing to play by the rules? Hint: She hasn’t driven her own car for decades. Yes, the more the liberals want to talk about inequality rather than opportunity the more incongruous it seems to have Clinton as the nominee.

And then, hanging over her head is her State Department record. Former CIA official Mike Morrell not only indicted White House operative Ben Rhodes for the overly-politicized talking points but put down bread crumbs for Clinton’s opponents to follow.

And yes, while Jeb Bush was struggling to explain what he’d do on Iraq if he knew there were no WMD’s, the base must recollect that Clinton voted for the war. She admitted she was wrong, but wasn’t the whole argument against her in 2008 that she lacked judgment on foreign policy? I’m not sure how confessing she blew it makes that better eight years later. “Because of this lack of governance, during the spring and summer of 2012, the security situation across Libya, deteriorated,” Morrell relates. “CIA analysts accurately captured this situation, writing scores of intelligence pieces describing in detail how the situation in Libya was becoming more and more dangerous.” What was Clinton doing in response? Nothing as far as we can tell. Likewise, while the CIA updated its own security at the annex, little was done at the State Department’s compound. (“As a result of the deterioration in security in Libya, we at CIA at least twice reevaluated our security posture in Benghazi and made significant enhancements at the Annex. It was only later — after the tragedy of 9/11/12 — that we learned that only a few security enhancements had been made at the TMF.”) Clinton? It was someone else’s job she’s said.

And that bit about the video sparking the riots (a line Clinton repeated when the caskets were met just days after they were killed)? Rubbish. “In fact, there were three separate attacks that night, none of them showing evidence of significant planning, but each of them carried out by Islamic extremists, some with connections to al Qaeda, and each attack more potent than the one before,” Morrell writes. “Since the definition of terrorism is violence perpetrated against persons or property for political purposes, each attack in Benghazi was most definitely an act of terrorism — no matter the affiliation of the perpetrators, no matter the degree of planning, and no matter whether the attack on the TMF was preceded by a protest or not (an issue that would take on enormous political importance in the weeks and months ahead).”

In short, the secretary of state was blissfully unaware or unfocused on the obvious, rising terrorism threat. She then blamed others rather than admit she’d missed a huge development in the spread of Islamic terror. Forget the question about what Bush would have done on the Iraq War, the real question is what Clinton would have done if she’d been paying attention to and willing to address the phony election positioning that al-Qaeda was on its heels.

Clinton will remain the inevitable nominee unless and until the left figures out she is not one of them, has never been and has a boat load of liabilities, not the least of which is that she and her husband have gotten rich off the promise of giving billionaires and disagreeable kingdoms access to power. For a party stretching its populist muscles, she seems like an odd standard bearer.

Is this a conservative hit piece? Sure is. Are stopped clocks still right twice a day?

With the vote to deny fast-track the TPP deal today, I think that Sanders is in a much better position to talk real policy on the campaign trail than Clinton is. There is no credible evidence that Clinton cares about anything other than aggregating power. Would she support legislation to support social equity? A lot of people think she will, but her history seems to indicate pretty clearly that she'll only do so if she thinks there is a political gain in it for herself. I'm not even sure if she'll nominate actual liberal judges to the supreme court instead of milquetoast centrists that will occasionally throw a bone to minorities while cheerfully ruling in favor of corporate interests 90% of the time.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Weltlich posted:

And for some actual content:

Is this a conservative hit piece? Sure is. Are stopped clocks still right twice a day?

With the vote to deny fast-track the TPP deal today, I think that Sanders is in a much better position to talk real policy on the campaign trail than Clinton is. There is no credible evidence that Clinton cares about anything other than aggregating power. Would she support legislation to support social equity? A lot of people think she will, but her history seems to indicate pretty clearly that she'll only do so if she thinks there is a political gain in it for herself. I'm not even sure if she'll nominate actual liberal judges to the supreme court instead of milquetoast centrists that will occasionally throw a bone to minorities while cheerfully ruling in favor of corporate interests 90% of the time.

Let's set aside your complete misread of what Hillary will do and why. Do you think Hillary is more conservative than Bill? (If so, you're kind of an idiot.)

And if not, why would you think she'd nominate judges less liberal than Clinton (RBG, Breyer)?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CHALLENGER INCOMING

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/john-bolton-ambassador-united-nations-president-2016-117912.html

John Bolton

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

He needs to last less than three months to get to the first debate, which would be a dream come true. But what is his constituency? If he never breaks ~1% in the polls he may not even be invited to debate, especially with such a crowded field.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Someone should ask him if he would invade Iraq given what we know now.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Spun Dog posted:

Someone should ask him if he would invade Iraq given what we know now.

"No... I'd nuke the bastards instead" would probably be his response.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gyges posted:

Someone just doesn't properly understand the Mandate of Heaven.

Or the Napoleonic Wars of Liberation. :france:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ShutteredIn posted:

This is so stupid even Republicans wouldn't buy it, nor would they be ashamed of naked territorial grabs. Is Rubio pandering to the blue dogs or something?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

A Bag of Milk posted:

He needs to last less than three months to get to the first debate, which would be a dream come true. But what is his constituency?

Conservative mustache aficionados and those who tut about the limp wristed, pansy rear end, foreign policy of the Bush boys.

Also, if we can just get Trump and Palin to actually run this will be the greatest clown car to ever exist in the history of the world.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kalman posted:

Let's set aside your complete misread of what Hillary will do and why. Do you think Hillary is more conservative than Bill? (If so, you're kind of an idiot.)

And if not, why would you think she'd nominate judges less liberal than Clinton (RBG, Breyer)?

My point is not that Hillary is more or less conservative than anyone - but rather she is possibly the most self serving candidate running, and certainly the most self serving democrat running.

Her track record is pretty clear - she doesn't accept that rules apply to her, and she does whatever benefits herself above all else. The Republicans are idiots to be sure for making noise about Benghazi, but there is real harm in the fact that while Sec. of State, she blatantly disregarded IT policy and used a private email system. She's accessed the FBI files of her political rivals on the sly. When she left the white house as First Lady, she had government owned furniture moved to her personal home in NY, just because she liked it. And most folks by now have forgotten about White Water.

She's pretty clearly shown that Hillary does what's best for Hillary. If she can make political hay from time to time by supporting some social cause, then that's a bonus, but at the end of the day Hillary always gets hers.

Allow me to flip the question: for what reason do you put faith in her to do anything beneficial? What are her past actions that make you say "This is someone I can trust!"

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What the gently caress is up with Rubio's Twitter speech?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
RNC should charge $1m or something to a campaign to attend a debate

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ShutteredIn posted:

Was he skipping history class when they got to the part about Manifest Destiny?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Quote of the Day - "I'm running for president in 2016," Jeb Bush

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

DaveWoo posted:

Quote of the Day - "I'm running for president in 2016," Jeb Bush

So does this count at his official announcement or do we have to wait for him to announce a specific day when he'll announce whether or not he's announcing a run for president?

I just need to know how many pre-announcements to expect before he actually enters the race.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

quote:

"Going back in time, does a disservice for them," he said, according to Chalian.
:stare:

Has Perry been sharing his meds with Jeb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this is going to cost him the election if he doesn't figure it out

• Locked thread