Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Standard caveat: 40K fluff is highly contradictory, and it's your game, so if it makes you happy, run with it.

That said, if I were a lord commander, I wouldn't place a concentration of my own psykers near an enemy alpha psyker. Well, I wouldn't concentrate them anywhere, but you know - Psykers are a real loving liability, and using them willy-nilly against enemy psykers, seem like a good recipe for summoning daemons, losing my psykers or both, without necessarily achieving the objective of taking out the enemy psyker.

E: Also, I doubt their propaganda would work well against citizens taught to hate and kill witches, though perhaps as an intra-guard piece showing how these psyker chaps are totally our psychos and not ticking time bombs, kind of thng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Send them on suicide boarding missions to slow down a pursuing ship. It might end up going fuckdeaemons, but it's a ship that travels in the warp so it might do that anyway.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Night10194 posted:

I found some good token assets on Dark Reign. Otherwise, Tokentool makes it really easy to clip and crop any artwork you want into map tokens.

Has anyone else had issues with Tokentool not working correctly? The error I keep running into is when I click a button on the program, whether that is a menu button or something to crop, what the image shows doesn't update. It just stays the same. So I can pile on menu after menu until I can't see anything but the goddamn menus.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Have you done all the usual Java things?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Storming Space Hulks?

Yeah, it's tricky; I want it to give Only War some variety and I figure a Psyler squad give it like, a bit of X-Men flavor.
Yeah, it'd be pro-Sanctioned Psyker propaganda for the other troops, but I imagine there's gotta be some ground for the Radical factions to even exist. Besides, propaganda about humanity's new evolutionary state has to begin somewhere.

How about a secret and unofficial coven? You're loyal and all, but you really need a group of people who know what you're going through and will support you instead of sending you to the burning stake.
Might even have covert support from a Polypsykana Inquisitor.
Maybe the elite assault/raider element, so you're constantly in situations dangerous enough to use the psychic powers you have to keep secret, and isolated enough it's not instantly obvious you're Psykers.

It places a definite timer on the game; until the characters become too corrupt and mutated to keep going, or your cover is blown and you're :commissar: or recruited into an Inquisitorial Retinue or something.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do WH rp campaigns ever even finish successfully

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Well, if you count "trailing off after half a fight", then I think we've completed a bunch of 40K games. :smith:

Because I'm a dreamer, I seriously I think I'm getting somewhere with the campaign planning.

How about Void-Born Cadians, the Cadian Coast Guard? Like Karskin but for space. Setting it before the 13th Black Crusade is probably simplest, but I don't think it makes a huge difference.
Stationed aboard the innumerable orbital habitats and system defense boats of the Cadian Gate, the brave men and women of the Orbit Guard mission are Cadia's first line of defense. Patrolling the Cadian Shoal Zone, they can expect to fight cowardly pirates in boarding actions, or scout the vast, treasure-laden depths of space hulks. Would you like to know more? They're doing their part, what about you?
Void-Born; Supine; Close Assault Regiment; Close Quarters Battle, Favored Foe (Chaos); Tainted.

Should I drop the Psyker idea completely? I think that giving the players an edge that's also a deep dark secret adds a bit of flavor to the game, if you're secretly Psykers. "You grew up under the Eye of Terror. You hate Chaos and all it stands for. Especially since it's your inevitable fate, if you avoid death in battle or execution.". The player characters probably have the violet eyes common on Cadia.
Got a better name for your unit, or your squad? Night Watch? Space Patrol? Dawnguard? Orbit Pixies?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I think you should shut the gently caress up until you finally post a recruit for this weeks zany idea.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I'm working on it here before recruiting.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

I'm working on it here before recruiting.

What's there to think about? All RPGs are corridors with different scenery.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Friendly Tumour posted:

Do WH rp campaigns ever even finish successfully

I just finished a DH2 campaign. Well, the story isn't totally over because we're not all dead or rich or free from the inquisition, but we completed our mission and got a very minimal setup for the next campaign.

Our job, in broad strokes, was to get into a (implied webway) portal that was being used to move chaos troops en masse onto a besieged world, close it, and stop a rival slightly radical inquisition cell from harnessing it. Me and the one other previously working agent recruited the rest of the PCs, uncovered the plot, got into the crazy in-between part of the portal, made a desperate truce with the rival cell, killed some of its guardians including a trio of chaos space marines, sealed all the exits, and escaped through the one closing door out.

Granted, we're now all heavily wounded (I lost a foot to a bolt round and I think someone else lost an arm to warp fire) and on a completely unknown world with no stars in the sky, but it was a pretty solid ending that can be picked up later. It was loving dope.

I got to crawl over to an equally crippled Iron Warrior and ram a chainsword through his head :black101:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Pharmaskittle posted:

I just finished a DH2 campaign. Well, the story isn't totally over because we're not all dead or rich or free from the inquisition

Let's be honest, only one of these scenarios is ever going to happen.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Only in death does duty end.

unless they make you a servitor, I guess.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

MaliciousOnion posted:

Let's be honest, only one of these scenarios is ever going to happen.

I think literally every player went into what we knew was the last session totally ready to die, which resulted in a bunch of crazy selfless gambits that somehow synergistically kept everyone alive, but pretty maimed. Dudes were diving on top of grenades to save nearby wounded PCs and overloading meltagun ammo left and right to kill the marines we fought. I'm honestly shocked nobody died, since our DM doesn't softball combat.

edit: I guess the whole do-or-die thing started once the home stretch became clear really, since our social guy was only stopped from eating his own bolt pistol to deny an enemy psyker his memories by a WS check by a player higher in the initiative

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 13, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I think literally every player went into what we knew was the last session totally ready to die, which resulted in a bunch of crazy selfless gambits that somehow synergistically kept everyone alive, but pretty maimed. Dudes were diving on top of grenades to save nearby wounded PCs and overloading meltagun ammo left and right to kill the marines we fought. I'm honestly shocked nobody died, since our DM doesn't softball combat.

edit: I guess the whole do-or-die thing started once the home stretch became clear really, since our social guy was only stopped from eating his own bolt pistol to deny an enemy psyker his memories by a WS check by a player higher in the initiative

I've noticed this happens a lot in Dark Heresy. The crazier you're willing to get the more success you end up having.

Sounds like it was a hell of a good time.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I've noticed this happens a lot in Dark Heresy. The crazier you're willing to get the more success you end up having.

Sounds like it was a hell of a good time.

Yeah, my favorite moment is still a zero-g fight with a tau stealth suit in a lander on collision course with a stationary tau lander. I managed to knock him off me, grab an important NPC, and get yanked out the back with them on a guideline I'd attached, leaving the tau with a primed pulse grenade on his belt.

The only thing about the entire campaign I regret is not having that tau come back for revenge at some point, since I made a point to look at the resulting explosion and say, "nothing could've survived that."

Yes, our games are basically eighties action movies when it comes to combat.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
The solution is obvious: you are obligated to play the tau in the next game.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah, my favorite moment is still a zero-g fight with a tau stealth suit in a lander on collision course with a stationary tau lander. I managed to knock him off me, grab an important NPC, and get yanked out the back with them on a guideline I'd attached, leaving the tau with a primed pulse grenade on his belt.

The only thing about the entire campaign I regret is not having that tau come back for revenge at some point, since I made a point to look at the resulting explosion and say, "nothing could've survived that."

Yes, our games are basically eighties action movies when it comes to combat.

Ok well I'll grant it sounds cool enough. Link to thread?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Friendly Tumour posted:

Ok well I'll grant it sounds cool enough. Link to thread?

I'm the luckiest player in the world because this is all from an in-person group I've been playing with for like a decade in various tabletop games.

We've just started using roll20 to use a chromecast to put maps on a wall-mounted screen in our playing area. We're considering pitching in to build a projector and table setup for it, but haven't had the collective money yet.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish they'd release the Tau rules for Rouge Trader in print, I hate using pdfs.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rockopolis posted:

Should I drop the Psyker idea completely? I think that giving the players an edge that's also a deep dark secret adds a bit of flavor to the game, if you're secretly Psykers. "You grew up under the Eye of Terror. You hate Chaos and all it stands for. Especially since it's your inevitable fate, if you avoid death in battle or execution.". The player characters probably have the violet eyes common on Cadia.
Got a better name for your unit, or your squad? Night Watch? Space Patrol? Dawnguard? Orbit Pixies?

Not to bash on it, but a squad consisting of nothing but psykers seems like a good way to come back with a squad of Daemonhosts. Logistically, you'd probably want a non-psyker pc for every psyker you have. Something like 3 psykers with varying aptitudes plus a Commissar, Priest, and Ogryn for support (and summary executions upon corruption/possesion) could work.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Not to bash on it, but a squad consisting of nothing but psykers seems like a good way to come back with a squad of Daemonhosts. Logistically, you'd probably want a non-psyker pc for every psyker you have. Something like 3 psykers with varying aptitudes plus a Commissar, Priest, and Ogryn for support (and summary executions upon corruption/possesion) could work.

My Honest assessment of it would be to drop it as only war and do it as dark heresy 2.0 You could easily have a full psyker party with varied back grounds, plus use the rules they have for a blank as the party oh poo poo switch.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

DeathSandwich posted:

Hey, you always have a back-up if things go awry and everyone becomes Daemonhosts!

Crack open your Black Crusade books and start again! Everything going batshit because psykers is the norm for that kind of game anyway. Plus, everyone can brood on their failure to the Emperor high-five each other for being kick-rear end.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LuiCypher posted:

Crack open your Black Crusade books and start again! Everything going batshit because psykers is the norm for that kind of game anyway. Plus, everyone can brood on their failure to the Emperor high-five each other for being kick-rear end. let their inner 4 year old giggle about farting all the time

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Um. Is that through flubbing Perils rolls, Corruption Points, or just that Psykers are the dudes everyone wants to kidnap and sacrifice?

Yeah, okay, definitely not an official unit.
Would that work as the squad's dark secret, like going with Tainted as a Drawback? You don't even have to use it much. It's just that if you ever need it, it's there. Waiting. :getin:

Werix posted:

My Honest assessment of it would be to drop it as only war and do it as dark heresy 2.0 You could easily have a full psyker party with varied back grounds, plus use the rules they have for a blank as the party oh poo poo switch.
I've got DH2 somewhere, I'll have to read it and take a look, thanks!
I don't have most of my books with me at the moment.

Would that work with a Battlefleet Cadia armsmen campaign, or would I have to come up with something else?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rockopolis posted:

Um. Is that through flubbing Perils rolls, Corruption Points, or just that Psykers are the dudes everyone wants to kidnap and sacrifice?

Yeah, okay, definitely not an official unit.
Would that work as the squad's dark secret, like going with Tainted as a Drawback? You don't even have to use it much. It's just that if you ever need it, it's there. Waiting. :getin:

I've got DH2 somewhere, I'll have to read it and take a look, thanks!
I don't have most of my books with me at the moment.

Would that work with a Battlefleet Cadia armsmen campaign, or would I have to come up with something else?

Perils:

quote:

Grand Possession: A grand and terrible Warp entity takes interest in the psyker’s soul, descending from the Warp to seize the
mortal’s body for its own purposes. A powerful Daemon attempts to possess the psyker (see the Possession Trait in Chapter IV:
Talents and Traits). Use the Bloodletter from page 354, but increase all of its Characteristics by +20 and give it Fear 4. Even if
the daemon fails, the psyker still suffers 2d10 Toughness Damage, and will forever add +10 to all rolls on the Psychic Phenomena
and Perils of the Warp tables as his body now serves as a conduit to the power of the Warp. If the character dies while possessed,
the daemon manifests in the real world for a number of days equal to its Toughness Bonus or until it is destroyed
To get that result you have to either use a power unfettered and roll doubles or push your power to trigger a psychic phenomena. On the Phenomena chart, you have to roll a 75 or higher after modifiers (If you push or are near warp anomalies it makes it easier for this to happen) to trigger Perils of the Warp. From there you have to roll a 91-99 on a d100 and it's daemonic fun times for you.

Mind you this only happens after a specific sequence of dice rolls. But that also means it's probably going to happen the moment someone unfetters their powers because dice are dicks.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 13, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Playing psykers in DH1 was great because there was no fettering and basically any time you used your powers you were at risking of killing everyone around you. Like I tried to tip the odds in a dice game or something and all the walls started bleeding, and then I tried to use my power to cause someone pain and it turned off gravity in the immediate area.

What I am saying is you should run this game under DH1!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Haha, now I know I should give everyone the Psyker trait, then be merciless enough to tempt them into risking it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Fsmhunk posted:

Rouge Trader

Every time I see this I imagine an intergalactic Avon lady.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

CitrusFrog posted:

Every time I see this I imagine an intergalactic Avon lady.

I have a friend who seriously designed a Rogue Trader hack around this very concept (and misspelling).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

LuiCypher posted:

I have a friend who seriously designed a Rogue Trader hack around this very concept (and misspelling).

My bolter is loaded with subatomic foundation charge. If it doesn't blow your face off you'll look FABULOUS.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

LuiCypher posted:

I need more details.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Night10194 posted:

I need more details.

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/rogue-trader-the-scions-of-eyvann-a-tale-in-two-sessions-registration-13926766333

I didn't get to go, but I can try asking him for the background materials if you have an even greater interest after reading that.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I need more details.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685446&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post438770938

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

LuiCypher posted:

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/rogue-trader-the-scions-of-eyvann-a-tale-in-two-sessions-registration-13926766333

I didn't get to go, but I can try asking him for the background materials if you have an even greater interest after reading that.

Glorious.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Ashcans posted:

Playing psykers in DH1 was great because there was no fettering and basically any time you used your powers you were at risking of killing everyone around you. Like I tried to tip the odds in a dice game or something and all the walls started bleeding, and then I tried to use my power to cause someone pain and it turned off gravity in the immediate area.

What I am saying is you should run this game under DH1!

Yep, this was the best. Nothing like our psyker trying to use camoflauge to sneak away and instead revealing the raw warp in a 500 metre radius, driving hundreds of innocent bystanders insane.

Still worked as an escape method though!

This was the same game we had someone get daemonhost-ed 3 sessions in a row just from perils rolls.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

"Accidentally" melts your face off with a flamer.

"Oh noooooo, clumsy me, but let me show you a genhancement clay that can make that look better than new!"

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Has anyone played a game that uses mixed Only War/Dark Heresy 2 characters? I'm assuming since the two systems are significantly closer to each other compared to Dark Heresy 1 and Rogue Trader (for instance) that it would be easier for the two to cross pollinate. Especially if said inquisitor is investigating heresy in the ranks of the imperial guard. I could also see an inquisitorial cell co-opting Commissars, Ogryns, and the like especially if they know there's going to be a lot of fighting to be had.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Its JUST enough difference between the two to piss one off when trying to do that, IMO. OW if my favorite 40krpg and when playing DH2 I keep finding "Wait, that's now how it works now" moments. It might be easier to invent an "Ogryn" homeworld with -15 int and Unnatural str and tou 2+autostabilized.

What I'm saying is you could, but unless you're willing to just handwave any discrepancies and your players are cool with that it might be annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah I've been playing DH2 since it came out and I still forget to do DoS the new way pretty often even though it's much easier.