Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The AV Club gave the finale a good grade, just not a great one, I don't get the complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

C: "Hey its me Coulson, I need a hand"
S: "Umm aren't you dead?"
C: "No, that's a long story though, and I need a hand now."
S: "I can be there in a second to help"
C: "No, I mean an actual hand, mine was cut off"

Sepinwall was hoping they pull this off in the show from some Hydra storeroom:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

XboxPants posted:

Secret Invasion would be a really awesome TV arc. Bobbi could take Jessica Drew's role.

This what they did in Avengers Earth mightiest heroes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

The AV Club gave the finale a good grade, just not a great one, I don't get the complaining.

I think people are ultimately disappointed with the finale--both by itself and compared with last season's finale--but they're so invested in the narrative that the show has "turned the corner" that they see any criticism, however justified, as an attack on the show and their personal taste.

If you consider the finale a culmination of the entire second season and parts of the first, it comes off like a wet fart. There are no stakes. There's no tension. The threat the characters were feeling wasn't effectively communicated to the audience. The action is dull. People pull their deep revelations out of nowhere (ex. May calling her ex-husband). A couple characters had really abrupt and pointless resolutions. The special effects were hilariously bad (ex. multiple girl's split). Etc. Etc. Etc. Even if you're one of those poor deluded people who think Agents of SHIELD is legitimately good television, you had to be let down by this finale. The only question is whether you're able to admit that to yourself.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I love that Coulson's final confrontation with Cal, the fight that this while season has been building to, even after full-on Hyde mode was... a chat. He pinned Cal to the wall with a truck, but that was clearly the minimum force needed to restrain him. After that, Phil just had a straightforward conversation, showed real empathy, and just talked an enemy into being the tide-turning ally. Clark Gregg somehow made a polite chat seem badass.

I'm wondering if Coulson's hand will start to grow back, showing that there's still some lingering effects from the Guest House serum. Maybe it'll grow back as good as ever, but it'll be blue now.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

I think people are ultimately disappointed with the finale--both by itself and compared with last season's finale--but they're so invested in the narrative that the show has "turned the corner" that they see any criticism, however justified, as an attack on the show and their personal taste.

If you consider the finale a culmination of the entire second season and parts of the first, it comes off like a wet fart. There are no stakes. There's no tension. The threat the characters were feeling wasn't effectively communicated to the audience. The action is dull. People pull their deep revelations out of nowhere (ex. May calling her ex-husband). A couple characters had really abrupt and pointless resolutions. The special effects were hilariously bad (ex. multiple girl's split). Etc. Etc. Etc. Even if you're one of those poor deluded people who think Agents of SHIELD is legitimately good television, you had to be let down by this finale. The only question is whether you're able to admit that to yourself.

Source your quotes.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Irish Joe posted:

No, I think you're right. It was still a really good finale, and it was an amazing season, but all the calls of "it's like a movie on tv!" don't ring true to me. The Bobbi/Ward/Kara stuff was good, the Cal/Coul/Skye stuff was good, Mack was good, Raina had one cool last hurrah, but largely the narrative felt more like an epilogue than a climax. Like tying up loose ends.

The last, like, 5 minutes of the second episode was really great, though. How it's Made: Inhuman Growth Hormone, Agents of Ward, Secret Warriors, Magical Place Calvin, and finally Jemma getting swallowed, they wrapped up the plots to this season fantastically. (also I like the british black shield lady, that's cool she's staying around)

edit:
Okay looking closer at your post I do want to say that while I sorta agree on a general level, yeah of course most of Irish Joe's individual points are ridiculous, like the "things coming out of nowhere" thing. the assertion that May calling her ex is out of nowhere... that's loving laughable.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 13, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And it wasn't out of nowhere, everyone was watching Hunter break down over Bobbi and realized they didn't want to be the ones leaving things unsaid.

Also, Mack should be immediately fired from his "Watch over the alien artifacts" jobs for having a rickety screen door on the containment cube. What kind of secure containment pops open when someone causally bumps it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I figured out what I missed, I think. Or, at least, where I missed (it's hosed up on the CTV web-site, too). It goes directly from the end of the first half (Jiaying standing on the catwalk overlooking the command room getting ready to terrigen the SHIELD guys) to Hunter searching for Bobbi in Ward's hideout. So I guess I missed the whole first bit of the second episode.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

What's this from?

I mean.. this wasn't a hard to understand episode. I don't know how it could have been communicated any clearer on any level and almost all the big changes had tons of foreshadowing and development and.. what?

I'll give them the multiple girl split was kind of hilarious, I kept expecting someone to just shoot her while she was posing to do it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Blazing Ownager posted:

What's this from?

I mean.. this wasn't a hard to understand episode. I don't know how it could have been communicated any clearer on any level and almost all the big changes had tons of foreshadowing and development and.. what?

I'll give them the multiple girl split was kind of hilarious, I kept expecting someone to just shoot her while she was posing to do it.

I've gotten the impression that Irish Joe is regarded as something of a bad poster. Either he's intentionally inflammatory or just genuinely posts contrary opinions. Either way, I think the recommended approach is not to engage with him.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Jesus, don't swallow the bait.

Also, I hope they find some way to bring multiple woman back down the road. Someone able to clone themselves into an unknown number of copies on demand (who all seemingly know what all the others are doing at a given moment) opens up for so many interesting spy thriller twists that it'd be sad if they never revisit the concept again after just using it for a fight sequence.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

AbstractNapper posted:

I've been reading some of the reviews (av club, hitfix).... it's weird that they try to justify that the finale (and probably the season) was mediocre and suffered from multiple problems (the comments there seem to at best be a cheering chorus for that).

What the hell? This was a fantastic season for the show. I only wasn't happy with one, maybe two episodes and the finale was so brilliant on all accounts and a great pay off for the stories of many of the characters, new and old ones.

But regarding Fitz... He's has totally recovered, right? The show has been showing him gradually (and maybe quickly in the latest 3 or so episodes) progressing to become his old self again to the point that his stutter and thought gaps are now gone. It's just that no character (or Fitz himself) cared to point it out explicitly that has annoyed the critics, then?

Reviews always means :nexus: and you should never bother with them. Look how whoever ends up at Cannes are always considered great and win all the prizes, yet their films makes no money and no one has ever heard of them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dalael posted:

Reviews always means :nexus: and you should never bother with them. Look how whoever ends up at Cannes are always considered great and win all the prizes, yet their films makes no money and no one has ever heard of them.

I can see a couple that made a poo poo ton of money or well known.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palme_d%27Or

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I think Coulson's new hand will be the infinity gauntlet

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

bobkatt013 posted:

I can see a couple that made a poo poo ton of money or well known.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palme_d%27Or

They are the exception that confirm the rule.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

BlueBayou posted:

I think Coulson's new hand will be the infinity gauntlet
"It fits pretty well, but it does clash with my suit. I'm going to have to get a new tie to match it. Maybe a pocket square too. I'm thinking purple or sort of a reddish-maroon. Also I'm literally a god now, so that's kind of nice."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
He's gonna graft on a Hulk Hand. None of that Gamma Grip nonsense, either.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

Well, what was the threat? All the characters were acting like this was A BIG confrontation tantamount to a suicide mission (see: Simmons and May expressing their long pent up feelings), but there was nothing on-screen to suggest that it was any bigger or more threatening than any other confrontation with any other bad guy. The SHIELD ship was completely self-contained. We never saw more than four SHIELD agents being held hostage the whole time. I don't think the inhumans ever explicitly said what they were going to do once they were done in the ship beyond a vague "..and then the world!" And so on and so forth.

Like I said, the threat that was conveyed on screen didn't match the threat the characters expressed, leading to an overall underwhelming sense of tension.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The ship and jets heading towards it was the entirety of what's left of shield. The stakes would be that every last agent was going to be turned to stone.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

greatn posted:

The ship and jets heading towards it was the entirety of what's left of shield. The stakes would be that every last agent was going to be turned to stone.
... and since those SHIELD agents are the only people in the world who actually know about the Inhumans, their plan, and have any chance of stopping terrigen crystals from being used like dirty-bombs in every major city and wiping out the vanilla human population of Earth... yeah, there's some stakes. It seemed pretty clear that Jiaying was going for world domination at the very least, but probably not stopping until all of 'her people' were safe from humans, and there's only one sure way for that to happen.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Toplowtech posted:

So since skye's dad is Muad'dad, should Skye's mom be called MA'gneto?

Mom Jabbar. Come on.

BlueBayou posted:

It should be "I know stuff"

and then they reveal that her name isn't Gemma Simmons its LAYLA MILLER!!!! And then I die happy

Layla is a mutant. Come on.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

So I've been thinking about Jemma. Reasons that she is still alive:

- She is not, to our knowledge, Inhuman.
- As she went into the black stuff, she didn't show any sign of damage on the parts of her body that were already in. No legs melting, no scream of pain.
- The material did not show any sign of displacement once it absorbed her mass.

I like the suggestion that it is a portal of some sort, mostly due to my third point.

Remember, we didn't see what made Mack into a Kree Sentry, this may be a similar bit of alien weirdness. Or, it might not. We'll see in a couple months.

Mymla posted:

This thread title sucks.

The TV IV > Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - "Health benefits that will change your life!"

I know, right?

bull3964 posted:

Cal just got the brain wipe part of TAHITI. It was developed on CONJUNCTION with the Kree "Extra Life" potion as it would be necessary to keep the person from going insane (basically, they had to forget they died and were brought back to life.)

But used on its own as it was here, I don't see that there's much risk of him relapsing.

He will remember everything when the plot requires him to, just like Coulson.

Chokes McGee posted:

Out of all the awesome stuff that happened, we've overlooked the best part: Phil finally calling her Daiy, Cal screaming DON'T CALL HER THAT!!, and Coulson's baffled "...but isn't that what you wanted?" response. Plus Cal's "oh yeah well YOU don't get to call her that" response.

It's like the entire run-up of TNHN jokes finally overtook Cal, and he realized too late that was her name.

I didn't forget it.

Anyway, there's one thing I just don't understand. Is S.H.I.E.L.D. gone or not? Dan Didio, care to weigh in on this? Barry Convex? Irish Joe?

You other posters all laughed at me when I foretold a Legion of Doomsayers. Their ranks are growing...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Robot Hobo posted:

... and since those SHIELD agents are the only people in the world who actually know about the Inhumans, their plan, and have any chance of stopping terrigen crystals from being used like dirty-bombs in every major city and wiping out the vanilla human population of Earth... yeah, there's some stakes. It seemed pretty clear that Jiaying was going for world domination at the very least, but probably not stopping until all of 'her people' were safe from humans, and there's only one sure way for that to happen.

Its not like they would have a ship that could do that.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

Two things:
1) Nobody knew that before they left, so it still doesn't explain their behavior back at base
2) There were five jets, making up a total of... what? 40 agents? Pretty low stakes considering there was a functional and fully staffed helicarrier in AoU.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

bobkatt013 posted:

Its not like they would have a ship that could do that.

SHIELD: "We have an army."
Inhumans: "We've got a Gordon."

(y'know, until the end there, when they suddenly didn't)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

Two things:
1) Nobody knew that before they left, so it still doesn't explain their behavior back at base
2) There were five jets, making up a total of... what? 40 agents? Pretty low stakes considering there was a functional and fully staffed helicarrier in AoU.

That isn't theirs anymore, it was given to you know who and staffed by that person's people.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Layla is a mutant. Come on.

So are Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver :colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like how multiple girl and her copies kept giving knowing nods to each other. It was super goofy.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

BlueBayou posted:

So are Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver :colbert:
In the comics? Not anymore. That retcon just got retcon'd. They were never mutants now, just experiments by the High Evolutionary who were tricked into thinking they were mutants. Also, Magneto isn't their dad now... anymore... or never was... retcons. Probably because of Superboy hitting reality with Thor's hammer or something, I can't keep track.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Robot Hobo posted:

In the comics? Not anymore. That retcon just got retcon'd. They were never mutants now, just experiments by the High Evolutionary who were tricked into thinking they were mutants. Also, Magneto isn't their dad now... anymore... or never was... retcons. Probably because of Superboy hitting reality with Thor's hammer or something, I can't keep track.

This. This is why I don't read comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Robot Hobo posted:

Magneto being their dad was a recon in the first place.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

bobkatt013 posted:

Magneto being their dad was a recon in the first place.
I know, that was the retcon I was saying got retcon'd.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Jemma is going to be Mrs. Marvel. :smug:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Robot Hobo posted:

I thought it was sorta implied that it was possible this was another Scarlet Witch magic-based retcon that she did because she either consciously or subconsciously couldn't stand being Magneto's daughter. Like I wanna say there was a scene where Wanda says "I just wish I wasn't even his child!!!" and then a guy popped up out of the shadows out of nowhere and said "MAYBE YOU AREN'T" *SHOCK*

ok there's a pretty good chance that scene is completely made up, but there was something similar to that which gave me the impression that maybe Wanda changed history

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ded posted:

Jemma is going to be Mrs. Marvel. :smug:

You know, I don't think she's going to be anyone from the comics. She's be Jemma Simmons, maybe with powers and a bad attitude about Inhumans, but I don't think they have to try and squeeze her into a pre-existing character. It doesn't seem necessary.

Kesper North posted:

This. This is why I don't read comics.

I don't read comics anymore because $4 for a 22 page pamphlet that I read in five minutes is an appalling waste of resources compared to other ways I could use that money to entertain myself.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

jng2058 posted:

I don't read comics anymore because $4 for a 22 page pamphlet that I read in five minutes is an appalling waste of resources compared to other ways I could use that money to entertain myself.

That's a good one too!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

jng2058 posted:

You know, I don't think she's going to be anyone from the comics. She's be Jemma Simmons, maybe with powers and a bad attitude about Inhumans, but I don't think they have to try and squeeze her into a pre-existing character. It doesn't seem necessary.

On that note, this show has hit on a really great mix of making up their own poo poo that's actually good and cool and also including a pretty good helping of stuff well-adapted things from the comics. It probably helps that the things they make up that are good - like Ward and Reina - aren't just made up wholecloth, but draw from the greater world they've built, like how Raina is an Inhuman and Ward is a Hydra agent, and then those characters feed back into what they drew from, as well. I mean, I guess it's a pretty basic storytelling tenet that the new elements you add should fit in with what has come before, for just these reasons. Otherwise you end up with Razorfingers.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

Wish May hadn't taken the gun, that's just weird, how's she gonna get that past airport security when she goes to wear that bikini?

In what world is May flying commercial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Acinonyx posted:

In what world is May flying commercial?

She'll hide in the wheel well, like she talked about in Season 1.

• Locked thread