Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mod sassinator posted:

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the latest Frontline episode is well worth a watch. It's about the poultry industry and how lightly it takes salmonella testing and outbreaks. There's some pretty damning evidence against Foster Farms and its Kelso, WA, plant too. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/trouble-with-chicken/

Well no poo poo, it's fuckin Kelso.

E: for all you California transplants, Kelso is the Fresno of Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Well no poo poo, it's fuckin Kelso.

E: for all you California transplants, Kelso is the Fresno of Washington.

I thought that was Wenatchee. Kelso is more like the Stockton of Washington.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
That's not the only bird issue right now too.

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/04/14/bird-flu-spreads-to-iowa-turkey-flock-6th-midwest-state

Not directly PNW related, but it'll make your Thanksgiving turkey a bit rarer and expensive this year.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

That's not the only bird issue right now too.

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/04/14/bird-flu-spreads-to-iowa-turkey-flock-6th-midwest-state

Not directly PNW related, but it'll make your Thanksgiving turkey a bit rarer and expensive this year.

Turkey for Thanksgiving isn't half as good as prime rib. Prime rib makes everything better.
It even gives the family a reason to argue that isn't about politics!(when your aunt wants hers well done)

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
You mean your former aunt whom you have now disowned?

We do thanksgiving enchiladas. Black friday shopping is so much more exciting if you're farting non-stop.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

sullat posted:

I thought that was Wenatchee. Kelso is more like the Stockton of Washington.

Longview on the other hand; is great :downs:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

oxbrain posted:

You mean your former aunt whom you have now disowned?

We do thanksgiving enchiladas. Black friday shopping is so much more exciting if you're farting non-stop.

Honey-baked ham is our poo poo.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Honey-baked ham is our poo poo.

With a nice hot mustard. Also my family raises turkeys and they are delicious.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hixson posted:

Longview on the other hand; is great :downs:

Longview is so gross. My aunt and uncle have lived there for nearly 30 years so I go down there once in a blue moon. They hate it too, but he worked at the school there for his life, so that's why they stuck around. The worst city in western WA bar none is Lacey. That's the Shelbyville of WA state. I believe Oregon's comparable city is Springfield (ironically).

In other news, Tim Eyman is ready to be a horse's rear end again with another proposed tax cut that would starve the state of $1billion in sales taxes if passed: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/eyman-initiative-sets-up-choice-tax-cut-or-constitutional-change/ The FYGMs of Washington state will probably pass it. To no surprise, the biggest donor to the campaign is someone from Vancouver.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Longview is so gross. My aunt and uncle have lived there for nearly 30 years so I go down there once in a blue moon. They hate it too, but he worked at the school there for his life, so that's why they stuck around. The worst city in western WA bar none is Lacey. That's the Shelbyville of WA state. I believe Oregon's comparable city is Springfield (ironically).

In other news, Tim Eyman is ready to be a horse's rear end again with another proposed tax cut that would starve the state of $1billion in sales taxes if passed: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/eyman-initiative-sets-up-choice-tax-cut-or-constitutional-change/ The FYGMs of Washington state will probably pass it. To no surprise, the biggest donor to the campaign is someone from Vancouver.
Eyman's success rate has dropped precipitously in the past several elections. Though, this is an incredibly stupid loving idea, so yeah, people will probably love it.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Eyman's success rate has dropped precipitously in the past several elections. Though, this is an incredibly stupid loving idea, so yeah, people will probably love it.

It would be a great idea.

If they instituted a state income tax to balance it out.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thanatosian posted:

When is the last time an Eyman initiative has won? All you have to say is, "This is a Tim Eyman initiative" and it becomes completely radioactive.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
All this tax poo poo has me feeling like we're a couple bad .elections away from a Kansas situation. Maybe it's a scheme to scare off transplants? Hmm.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mrit posted:

It would be a great idea.

If they instituted a state income tax to balance it out.
No, it would still be an incredibly loving stupid idea.

Giving 1/3 of the legislature veto power over the other 2/3rds is loving idiotic. It sent California into a downward spiral until they managed to elect 2/3rds Democrats in both houses with a Democratic governor.

Tax increases are hard enough to pass when they only require a simple majority; requiring a 2/3rds majority basically means you can never raise a tax, ever. Which means you can never cut a tax, ever, because you'd never be able to bring it back up if you needed to.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solkanar512 posted:

When is the last time an Eyman initiative has won? All you have to say is, "This is a Tim Eyman initiative" and it becomes completely radioactive.

2012, with the "2/3rds majority to increase taxes or fees" thing. If we don't count that idea, though (which he has managed to get passed three times in the last eight years), his last successful referendum was I-900, back in 2004.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Murders happen every day yet none have randomly struck Eyman. There is no god.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

No, it would still be an incredibly loving stupid idea.

Giving 1/3 of the legislature veto power over the other 2/3rds is loving idiotic. It sent California into a downward spiral until they managed to elect 2/3rds Democrats in both houses with a Democratic governor.

Tax increases are hard enough to pass when they only require a simple majority; requiring a 2/3rds majority basically means you can never raise a tax, ever. Which means you can never cut a tax, ever, because you'd never be able to bring it back up if you needed to.

Whoops, should have clarified: Lowering the sales tax to institute an income tax would be nice.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A lot of the initiatives that Eyman has passed usually end up getting overturned because they violate WA State's constitution. Of the 10 he's had pass, 6 of them have been ruled unconstitutional.

He's kept trying to get the 2/3rds tax increase passed several times. FYGMers love it, but it's violation of democracy. I have no idea when he'll stop. The guy is a leech.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Vote for this guy for Seattle Council District 1

(Yes he is legitimately on the ballot)

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

There are some not-horrible ideas in there:

quote:

Prevent closure of mobile and motor homes parks, or full compensation, stop high rent increase of spaces, or buy out properties. Health care for all citizens and no to ObamaCare and no penalty for not buying Cover Oregon, or ObamaCare health insurance because health care will cost too much. When I see as 6 or 7 the hospital employees are pushing one hospital bed and when CEOs of the so named non-profit organizations get salaries of many millions dollars, it says why health insurance is so expensive. Reduce cost of drugs.

quote:

Allow to buy cars and trucks direct from manufacturers. Child care on workplaces. Prohibit Fannie Mae to rob students: student loans must be no more than 3% interest. Auto insurance: it is a "street robbery", if no accidents - 50% money back, and seniors and others, who drive no more than 100 miles a month - 75% premium off.

quote:

The movements of "Occupy Wall Street" and "Occupy Portland" - an organized protests against Wall Street, against banks, corporate greed and welfare, for accountability of the government of the USA, for better economy and more jobs, against money in election and etc. It is good, they are really patriots of this country. It is a reflection of this rotten political system.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For those of you who haven't been paying attention, lately: a three-member panel found that the state was at fault for Bertha hitting the steel pipe back in December of 2013. We are quickly approaching the year-and-a-half anniversary of the last time Bertha did any serious digging (June 6th), and it looks like it'll be awhile longer before it does any more.

But hey, on the bright side, Ed Murray and the DSA are getting their tunnel, eventually, and their friends will make out like bandits on the cost overruns! Isn't that something worth celebrating?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A property tax levy to fund the sheriff's department here has failed for something like the seventh time and people are continuing to act surprised by this result.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Aww, when did he move from Oregon

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Thanatosian posted:

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, lately: a three-member panel found that the state was at fault for Bertha hitting the steel pipe back in December of 2013. We are quickly approaching the year-and-a-half anniversary of the last time Bertha did any serious digging (June 6th), and it looks like it'll be awhile longer before it does any more.

But hey, on the bright side, Ed Murray and the DSA are getting their tunnel, eventually, and their friends will make out like bandits on the cost overruns! Isn't that something worth celebrating?

Are they still claiming that it's not going to run over the projected costs?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

Are they still claiming that it's not going to run over the projected costs?

The Seattle Times posted:

Still, panel members say the state can avoid cost overruns.

In their scenario, the project could recoup $85 million from Bertha’s insurance plan, the contractors could pay $50 million penalties for finishing the job late, and the state would spend $70 million less than the $290 million it estimated to rebuild waterfront Alaskan Way.
I would really love to move into the Seattle that's happening in whatever fantasy world they're living in. Seems like a nice place.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Lmao that's only like 200 million, it's gonna be over a billion overbudget. Maybe that's why this state can't get income taxes, nobody can do math?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If it stays underground and only goes a billion over, we'll look like geniuses next to Boston's big dig.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah good luck collecting on a $50 million fine too. They'll just declare bankruptcy and that's it.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Thanatosian posted:

I would really love to move into the Seattle that's happening in whatever fantasy world they're living in. Seems like a nice place.

I don't think that the state will get an insurance payout for running Bertha into a steel pipe that the state itself put into place and forgot to remove.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Javid posted:

A property tax levy to fund the sheriff's department here has failed for something like the seventh time and people are continuing to act surprised by this result.

This is really starting to annoy me, actually. Property taxes down there are scandalously low (58 cents per $1000 assessed if I remember correctly - lowest in state and possibly nation). The fact that you guys have your sheriff operating ten hours a day while the state picks up some of the slack means that the rest of Oregon is subsidizing your tax hate. The thing is, it's really the responsibility of the community to look out for its most vulnerable citizens and provide at least minimum public safety services. Get your act together or it's only a matter of time until there's another 911 call where the dispatcher tells the soon to be rape victim "I'm sorry, I just don't have anyone to send."

I read on O-live yesterday that there is some talk in Salem of mandating counties impose no less than a $2 per $1000 tax. I'm okay with that. Honestly, in a perfect world, we'd have a graduated property tax based on individual net-worth, so we wouldn't have to worry about grandma losing the house she's lived in for 50 years. But as it stands that isn't happening, you guys need to do something about public safety, and it annoys the piss out of me that your answers are either "more federal timber money" or "more state support." In either case, you're asking the rest of us to subsidize your amazingly low tax liability.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

effectual posted:

Lmao that's only like 200 million, it's gonna be over a billion overbudget. Maybe that's why this state can't get income taxes, nobody can do math?

Given that I'm watching this from the north, is this because we insist that governments take the lowest bidder or what? Are governments not insisting on proper insurance/escrow schemes to pay off fines and the like? I get that folks don't like it, but there was no majority voice on any of the three options offered, so that could be said of any of them.

At some point, I just can't help but think that once you have a project large enough a contractor has the choice of either -
1. Bidding high enough to cover expensive contingencies and piss off every last rear end in a top hat who doesn't want the government to spend any money
2. Undercut the gently caress out of folks who choose path one, then run up the bill once something bad does happen.

What am I leaving out here? It seems like no plan ever has majority support, and it all ends up a screaming match between those who just want to get rid of the freeways, those who hate taxes, NIMBYs and so on. So we set the project up for failure, celebrate the failure as it happens and then start all over again.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I get both sides of it, but ultimately the voters are pretty clear on their choice.

For all the noise that's made about it every year, the sky has not yet fallen, and JoCo has not spiraled downhill into a lawless wasteland. The violent crime rate (As of the 2012 numbers which are the newest I can find with a cursory google) is still roughly half of what Multnomah County's is, so it's obviously not entirely a matter of money.

http://www.oregon.gov/osp/CJIS/docs/2012/Section%202%20Statewide%20Crimes%20Against%20Persons%202012.pdf

Are people as up Portland's rear end about crime as they seem to be about us down here?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Javid posted:

I get both sides of it, but ultimately the voters are pretty clear on their choice.

For all the noise that's made about it every year, the sky has not yet fallen, and JoCo has not spiraled downhill into a lawless wasteland. The violent crime rate (As of the 2012 numbers which are the newest I can find with a cursory google) is still roughly half of what Multnomah County's is, so it's obviously not entirely a matter of money.

http://www.oregon.gov/osp/CJIS/docs/2012/Section%202%20Statewide%20Crimes%20Against%20Persons%202012.pdf

Are people as up Portland's rear end about crime as they seem to be about us down here?

There's probably a significant amount of unreported crime. Especially domestic issues. It's hard to leave an abuser when you know you can't count on law enforcement to help. That said, the voters have spoken, but what they've said is that they'd rather try to sponge off of the state and federal government than offer assistance to those in their community who are more vulnerable then them. There are duties communities have to citizens that supersede low property taxes, even if the community really really wants low property taxes.

Edit:

quote:

We fund our police department. Why would anyone be up our rear end about us not funding public safety?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Two unarmed black men shot by police in Olympia over the alleged attempted theft of beer from a Safeway. http://www.theolympian.com/2015/05/21/3737619/two-suspected-shoplifters-shot.html

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

ATP_Power posted:

Two unarmed black men shot by police in Olympia over the alleged attempted theft of beer from a Safeway. http://www.theolympian.com/2015/05/21/3737619/two-suspected-shoplifters-shot.html

What kind of beer was it?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes, The Stranger has the best take on a story. Tim Burgess probably isn't going to lose, but it's hard to say with these council elections (I didn't think Kshama Sawant would win, either; shows what I know). If you live in his district, this is the guy to beat this election; he's the city council president, and the biggest sellout to the Downtown Seattle Association and their ilk (which is really saying something when it comes to this city council).

korora
Sep 3, 2011
Burgess is running at-large, so we all get to vote against him!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

korora posted:

Burgess is running at-large, so we all get to vote against him!

poo poo, yeah.

And remember, it's important not just to vote against Tim Burgess; you need to encourage your friends to vote against him, too. Especially the ones who don't pay much attention to local politics, and are getting hosed by it. Fucker needs to go.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Every eligible voter in the Pacific Northwest should vote in every election. It's so goddamn easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'mma PSA up in this biatch: You can register to vote online in both Washington and Oregon. You have to be registered 30 days before the election in Washington, and 21 days before the election in Oregon.

If you're a convicted felon, have paid or are in the process of paying restitution and are current on payments, and are not currently on probation or parole, you can vote in Washington. As long as you're not currently in prison, you're allowed to vote in Oregon.

• Locked thread