Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Happy Mother's Day from r/childfree:

The story itself isn't quite as unbelievable as the way she tells it. I swear it's just one person writing all of these "nightmare" parent stories.

Didn't it turn out that the NAR editor was making all the stories way more STDH than when they were submitted?

Shouldn't apply to Reddit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

razorrozar posted:

Didn't it turn out that the NAR editor was making all the stories way more STDH than when they were submitted?

Judge for yourself, NAR lets people view raw story submissions . (The answer is yes to a ridiculous degree.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ibntumart posted:

Judge for yourself, NAR lets people view raw story submissions . (The answer is yes to a ridiculous degree.)

For instance, things that probably happened

quote:

Hardware store

Cape Cod, MA, USA

(I work in the lumber department)

Customer: I like the way this board looks, but do you have any without any knots in them?

Me: There are the premium boards down at the front of this aisle.

Customer: Those are too expensive. I just want a board like this without any knots in it!

Me: Sir, it’s wood. Furthermore it’s <i>pine</i>. Even the premium boards are going to have some knots in them. If you’re looking for something that works like wood but doesn’t have any knots, might I suggest MDF?

Customer: I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks

quote:

Movie Theater

Largo, FL, USA

(Every Tuesday, the theater would give customers a $2 popcorn if they had a rewards card for the theater, as long as they used it to purchase their tickets. Believe it or not, this happened EVERY TUESDAY.)

Me: You got a $2 popcorn for using your rewards card today!

Customer: A $2 popcorn?! Is it free?

———-

Customer: Excuse me, miss? You told me I had a free popcorn. I went inside and they told me I had to pay $2 for it. What’s going on?

Me: No, sir. I told you that you recieved a $2 popcorn. See? I even highlighted it.

Customer: Well, that’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard!

It'll be interesting to see how that gets STDHified, considering these are really boring pointless anecdoes

On the other hand, there's still some primo bullshit to be had.

quote:

Milkshake-themed Cafe

San Francisco, California, USA

(I am working night shift at this milkshake cafe when a clearly drunk man walks in.)

Drunk: “YO LADY! I want to order!”

Me: “Welcome to [Cafe] what can i get you?”

Drunk: “3 Vanilla, No whipped cream, 5 chocolate, whipped cream, and put cherries on them!”

(I do so and ring him up.)

Drunk: “Wheres the discount!?”

Me: “What discount? We only have senior discounts, child discounts, and employee discounts.”

Drunk: Im going to get your rear end fired! Im the Owner’s brother! You will be fired!“

(Note: this is a family owned cafe and he is clearly lying. I look at my family, we all wink, and play along.)

My Dad: "I have a brother?”

Grandma: “uh oh!’

Grandpa: "Did you cheat on me? I cant believe you!”

Grandma: “Bernie im sorry he was so awesome!”

Drunk: “..I…err..”

Dad: “Im moving in with dad because he doesnt cheat! Im moving out of your sinned house!”

(The Drunk runs out of the cafe never to be heard from again. Odd? I ran into him at the grocery store and I told the owner what he does. He was arrested For robbing, Identity theft, and grand theft auto. Thats where my sucky vehicle went. I am glad he stole it. He has been in jail for 2 years and we closed the milkshake cafe and opened a bar. Funny? He comes in everyday to apologize, get drunk, and punch the bartender. Its a routine.“

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 01:22 on May 11, 2015

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I don't want to get arrested, but if I do it better be in a city that has a bar inside of the jail.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

razorrozar posted:

This is the one I originally found. They've been getting better at removing overlapping stories lately, but a few still slip through the cracks.

Not Always Right posted:

Rewarding Behavior, Part 2
HIGH SCHOOL | AB, CANADA | GENIUS, PARENTS, TEACHERS, TOP

(In high school, I was wrongly kept off of the honor roll. When this was corrected, it embarrassed a few of my teachers, and they never forgot. A few years later, I’m at my first year of college, and my sister is at her first year of high school. I’m doing quite well in my classes, and she can’t help but update my former teachers on my progress. But her updates annoy my former math teacher, and he calls a parent-teacher conference with my mother, under the pretense that my sister is struggling.)

Mother: “So, you called this conference today to talk about my daughter. I do know that math has always been one of her more difficult subjects, so if there’s anything we can do at home to help her.”

Teacher: “Actually, I think the main problem with your daughter is your son. He’s being a very bad influence on her.”

Mother: “Really? How so?”

Teacher: “Well, your daughter keeps going on and on about how well your son is doing at [college]. I don’t think that your son getting into some liberal arts college is an accomplishment to be proud of.”

Mother: “I beg your pardon?”

Teacher: “I mean, your son was supposed to be some kind of super-genius, right? If that’s true, why isn’t he going to some ivy-league college down in the States?”

Mother: “I’m sorry, but you called this conference to talk about my daughter. I don’t see what my son has to do with it.”

Teacher: “Don’t worry about your daughter. She’s doing fine. The real concern, I think, is your idiot son who wasn’t good enough to get into Princeton.”

Mother: *getting very angry* “Look. My son’s grades were good enough to get into any college he chose. After he did all the research, he determined that [college] was best for his budget and career goals. I don’t need to defend his choice of school to your or anyone. Now, you called this meeting to talk about my daughter.”

Teacher: “Whoa! Touchy! I guess Harvard telling your son to hit the bricks is still a sore spot in your house.”

Mother: “We’re done here.”

(My mother storms out of the classroom. Halfway down the hall, she hears my former math teacher calling after her.)

Teacher: “JUST ADMIT HE’S NOT A GENIUS!”
http://notalwayslearning.com/?s=Rewarding+Behavior%2C+Part+2

Unfiltered posted:

Junior High School
AB, Canada

(When I first started going to college, my little sister was quite proud of me, and always boasting about my studies to her classmates. For some reason, her bragging really annoyed her math teacher, which led to this exchange at parent/teacher night.)

My Mother: So, I know my daughter’s always had difficulties in math, so I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do to help her.

Teacher: Well, actually, I think there’s a bigger problem that needs to be addressed. You daughter keeps talking about your son attending a liberal arts college like it’s some kind of accomplishment.

Mother: I’m not sure what that has to do with anything.

Teacher: I mean, your son was supposed to be some kind of honors student. If your son’s so smart, why isn’t he at some ivy league school down in the USA?

Mother: Excuse me, but we’re here to talk about my daughter.

Teacher: Yeah, yeah, yeah, she’s doing fine, whatever. I want to know more about your idiot son who couldn’t get into Harvard. He’s not such a genius now, is he?

(My mother stormed out of the classroom, and filed a complaint the principal the next day. For the record, this math teacher was my math teacher once…for about a week at the start of the semester. Then he faked getting cancer to go on workers’ comp.)
http://unfiltered.notalwayslearning.com/post/63757435450/junior-high-school-ab-canada-when-i-first

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
There's one editor there who always adds Princeton to any mention of Harvard and/or Yale. Dude, you're just embarrassing everyone.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Can't blame the editor for all the junk on NAR:

unfiltered posted:

Customer- Hi (name). My name is *name*

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Movie Time

quote:

Needs A Military Rescue
MOVIE THEATER | NY, USA | AT THE CHECKOUT, BAD BEHAVIOR, MILITARY
(I work at a movie theater. It’s a Monday morning and I’m serving a young man in line.)

Customer: “Do you offer military discounts?”

Me: “The current policy is that we do not offer military discounts on weekdays, but we do on weekends. Since weekday prices are already so much cheaper, especially for matinees, we really can’t add additional discounts on top of it.”

Customer: *firmly* “Well, lemme ask you this: Do you believe the minimum wage should be raised?”

Me: *confused* “Um… well, yes. Yes, I do. A little over $8 an hour is hard to live off of, especially in this economy.”

Customer: “Well, that’s bull-s***. You don’t deserve more money. I just got back from being stationed in Iraq. How about you? I fought for your freedom, kid. The same freedom that you’re exercising now to tell me that my sacrifices won’t even get me a discount! You minimum wage drones don’t deserve more money.”

Me: *absolutely shocked* “I’m… I’m sorry, sir. I truly thank you for your service…”

Customer: “I want you to know I have no respect for you whatsoever. You obviously weren’t in the military, and you don’t understand the meaning of sacrifice. It’s unbelievable that after I chose to fight for your freedom, you deny me the basic dignity of recognition with a discount. Do you understand that I don’t respect you?”

Me: “I… I guess?”

Customer: “No, you tell me that you absolutely understand that I don’t respect you.”

Me: *going pale* “I understand.”

Customer: “Good.”

(He buys his tickets and goes into the theater. I’m left shocked by the exchange. An older man who was behind him in line approaches me. He gives me a warm smile.)

Old Man: “Wow. I’m sorry you had to put up with that. You know… I was in the military. Fought in Vietnam. Put up with a lot in my life. But I want to tell you… I thank YOU for YOUR service. And I have nothing but respect for you and every other person out there trying to make ends meet while being a good employee, despite dealing with a low minimum wage. Not everyone is cut out to be a soldier. But that doesn’t mean jerks like him are better than you. People like you… doing your hardest and trying to make ends meet, all while having to put up with the self-righteous people like that… you deserve as much admiration as anyone else. This world needs people of all types. We’re all in this together. We’re all heroes in our own way. So thank you. Because of you, I get to have a nice day seeing movies. You’re helping to give me happiness for a few hours. And that means a lot.”

(I was almost crying for the rest of the day. Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity after the last person nearly destroyed it!)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

quote:

(In high school, I was wrongly kept off of the honor roll. When this was corrected, it embarrassed a few of my teachers, and they never forgot. A few years later, I’m at my first year of college, and my sister is at her first year of high school. I’m doing quite well in my classes, and she can’t help but update my former teachers on my progress. But her updates annoy my former math teacher, and he calls a parent-teacher conference with my mother, under the pretense that my sister is struggling.) 

Wow, that is one hell of a plot drop for such a lovely story!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

There's something almost sympathetic about these desperate, fairly simple STDHs where you know the person just really wishes it or something like it would happen to them, like the bus rune girl.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I was waiting for the part where the OP starts and goes on about how he was actually in Iraq as well and was discharged for being too awesome somehow and what does he know about sacrifice? After all he only lost his 2 brothers he enlisted with and came home to bury his dad and wife. Or something like that. And then the guy pestering him would cry and saw he's sorrow.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

hyperhazard posted:

This is the one I originally found. They've been getting better at removing overlapping stories lately, but a few still slip through the cracks.

http://notalwayslearning.com/?s=Rewarding+Behavior%2C+Part+2

http://unfiltered.notalwayslearning.com/post/63757435450/junior-high-school-ab-canada-when-i-first

Ohhhhh, now I see why specific place names are always a generic word in [brackets] - the editors add them in and don't know the name of the actual thing!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

And then the guy pestering him would cry and saw he's sorrow.

I know what you meant but I like this better.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

classicSTDH.txt

(I’m a brony (male fan of My Little Pony). I’m also interested in Japanese names and cultures. During Japanese class, our class was told to use some form of Japanese name for the rest of the year. I’m dressed in a white shirt.)

Student #1: “I’ll just call myself ‘Ching Chong’ or something.”

Student #2: “Aw, man! That’s what I was going to call myself!”

Me: “You do realize both those names don’t exist, right? There’s plenty of names to use.”

Student #1: “Shut up, nerd! You don’t know anything about Japanese!”

Me: *in Japanese* “You dare challenge me?”

Student #2: “What the f*** did you just say?”

Me: *in Swedish* “‘You dare challenge me’ in Japanese.”

Student #1: “No. You didn’t! You just made up some words!”

(At this point, the teacher enters the room.)

Teacher: “Alright. What are you guys gonna call yourself?”

(We get to choose our names according to our class list. I’m in the middle of the list. So far, most people don’t know what to call themselves and just make up names.)

Teacher: “Well then, [Name]. What are you going to be called for the rest of the year?”

Me: “Shiro Kishi.” *literally, ‘White Knight’*

Teacher: “Oh? That’s… an interesting name. Sounds a bit like someone from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, does it not?”

Me: “That’s right.”

(The two people from earlier drops their jaws at this point as the teacher is known to be super strict. I look at a girl next to me who’s dressed completely in black and who has been looking at me during the entire conversation.)

Me: *in Japanese, to the girl* “I’m Shiro Kishi. Just call me Shiro.”

Girl: *in Japanese* “If you’re the White Knight, then I’ll call myself Kuro Kishi.” *literally, ‘Black Knight’* “Just call me Kuro!”

Teacher: “I need to take a note to give both of you an ‘A’ for the rest of the year, Kuro, Shiro.”

Me: “Arigato, sensei.”

(The girl and I started dating after that lesson. It turns out she was also a fan of ‘My Little Pony.’ The teacher, she, and I enjoyed discussing the latest episode in Japanese during class just to piss the bullies of the class off.)

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

EmmyOk posted:

classicSTDH.txt

Ones like this depress me, where the author is obviously describing a fantasy life they wish they had. It's the combination of pity and vicarious embarrassment.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

EmmyOk posted:

classicSTDH.txt

:words:

Old but gold. Those are the kind of stories that I will never tire of. There is everything in there. Glorious Nippon, dumb idiots, teachers acknowledging the dude's genius and even impromptu romance.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Verus posted:

Ones like this depress me, where the author is obviously describing a fantasy life they wish they had. It's the combination of pity and vicarious embarrassment.

Never feel sad for a brony, he's already dead and rotting on the inside.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

Teacher: “Oh? That’s… an interesting name. Sounds a bit like someone from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, does it not?”

That one really does have it all. Awkward stilted dialogue, strangely specific teacher who cares about things that wouldn't come up, meet cute, glorious Japan just like in my animes, etc.

The teacher doesn't just recognize it as MLP, but specifically states MLP: Friendship is Magic. You gotta say the whole title!

Half expected him to say "Kirito-Kun" for his name :v: Although I guess that's not pony enough.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 21:01 on May 13, 2015

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

EmmyOk posted:

classicSTDH.txt
I can't physically bring myself to read this again, it's so bad...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

EmmyOk posted:

Me: “Arigato, sensei.”

But how am I supposed to know what this means without a translator note?!

Also, if the same word "white" is also used to denote skin color, I'd imagine the teacher's first thought would be that the kid's racist (since he already showed a large vocabulary rather than being limited to a dozen or so words) rather than a MLP fan. It's not like the kid chose Sparkle Knight or whatever

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That story makes me sad.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Does MLP:Friendship is Magic (you have to denote that you mean the newest series, otherwise peole think you're into stupid girl stuff!) have anything vaguely japanese sounding like that? I'm pretty sure things like "Rainbow Dash" or "Pinkie Pie" is very japanese.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

So based on the story I have to assume this is a Japanese high school class in Sweden that some kids are forced into because there are bullies in it. I actually did take 2 years of Japanese in college and there was no one there that wasn't a nerd of some kind.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
Once I subbed for a Japanese Civ class and there was a fat kid in a Naruto headband who had very carefully set up three boxes of Pocky on his desk, like a display. For a college course.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Sentient Data posted:

But how am I supposed to know what this means without a translator note?!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:lol: What? Where is this from? That's amazing.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Zaphod42 posted:

:lol: What? Where is this from? That's amazing.

Apparently it's a joke :(

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

(I was a highschool student at [highschool] in a math class for kids who don't understand math)

Me: Hey Student 1, have you played Half-Life 2? It just came out.

Student1: No, what is it about?

Me: It is about this scientist who runs around killing aliens with a crowbar it is pretty cool. Hey, Teacher, have you ever played it?

Teacher: My wife bought it for me but I haven't had time to play it.

(I failed the class but still play videogames)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Decrepus posted:

(I was a highschool student at [highschool] in a math class for kids who don't understand math)

Me: It is about this scientist who runs around killing aliens with a crowbar it is pretty cool. Hey, Teacher, have you ever played it?

That seems pretty plausible imho

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster
Another glorious user-submission entry from Gawker Media. This one comes from "These Are The Most Outrageous Stories From Dealership Employees":

Sounds so loving legit

Link: http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/these-are-the-most-outrageous-stories-from-dealership-e-1704054211

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Decrepus posted:

One time I walked past somebody I was acquainted with and I said "Hi" and then they said "Hey how are you" and I said "Doing good, you?" and they said "Good, thanks." I finished walking down the hallway but I still say hi to people

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

CrotchDropJeans posted:

Once I subbed for a Japanese Civ class and there was a fat kid in a Naruto headband who had very carefully set up three boxes of Pocky on his desk, like a display. For a college course.

I'm so glad I managed to avoid people like this, though I focused on Chinese history and just had to take some general Asian history courses. I did, however, get to take more than one class with a Japanese student studying abroad in the US who freaked the gently caress out and went into denial mode whenever Japanese war crimes were brought up. :allears:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

who freaked the gently caress out and went into denial mode whenever Japanese war crimes were brought up. :allears:

Granted the same can probably be said of a US student being presented with the darker parts of history, and ditto Chinese or British or basically every other country in existence

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

Granted the same can probably be said of a US student being presented with the darker parts of history, and ditto Chinese or British or basically every other country in existence

I mean full on temper tantrums with yelling and screaming and storming out of the class room.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

I've never known someone to deny a part of history has happened. Though I say that being from a country that was repressed for 800 years and is one of the few that didn't wipe out an indigenous population.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I thought the Japanese class thing was a joke. Cuz of the ponies and the name "White Knight" and stuff.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It's hilarious all right, but I'd lay odds that it wasn't intended to be when it was written

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Leninboarrir posted:

Another glorious user-submission entry from Gawker Media. This one comes from "These Are The Most Outrageous Stories From Dealership Employees":

Sounds so loving legit

Link: http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/these-are-the-most-outrageous-stories-from-dealership-e-1704054211

Probably a BMW dealership.

• Locked thread