Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The hell are all these new grad programs/internships? You don't have to apply for only them, unless va's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Of course you don't HAVE to apply to them, but a TON of the non-new-grad positions are asking for a BSN or 2 years experience.

Plus, the new grad programs usually let you get in to units that don't normally hire new grads. For example, at VCU most departments will take new grads, but only if they apply specifically to the new grad position even if that unit has other opening listed.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
10 med/surg patients for one nurse?

lmfao

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
You should consider relocating sooner rather than later hth

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
My hospital requires all new grads to go through an orientation first, because new nurses are considered to be dangerous retards. Having trained a few, I don't they're not wrong.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Roki B posted:

You should consider relocating sooner rather than later hth

That's the plan. Even just moving to Richmond there are like a dozen hospitals in the greater RVA area.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I've heard some people on the forums talk about the difficulty of getting nursing jobs in Oregon. Does that really just correlate with jobs in Portland or is it pretty much state wide? I have 3 different places on the map to move next year, with Oregon being one. No desire to move to Portland, but more of the surrounding area *Bend, Corvallis, Salem*.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Annath posted:

That's the plan. Even just moving to Richmond there are like a dozen hospitals in the greater RVA area.

Should just get out of Virginia as a whole. Cannot wait until I get my experience so I can get out of here.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Etrips posted:

Should just get out of Virginia as a whole. Cannot wait until I get my experience so I can get out of here.

Part of me wants to move to like Seattle or San Diego or something. I hate the climate and most of the people here despite living here my whole life.

Then there's the part of me that went and fell for a girl who has no intention of moving across the country :v:

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
I'm moving from Virginia to NC soon for my first nursing job. Apparently NC kinda sucks for nurses too (no union activity and kinda low pay), but whatev.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
What state has the strongest nursing union?

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too

Annath posted:

What state has the strongest nursing union?

The only one that has established staffing ratios by law. California.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jamais Vu Again posted:

The only one that has established staffing ratios by law. California.

drat, cost of living is pretty high out there, and I've never left the east coast :ohdear:

But the weather in San Diego is pretty appealing...

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
California, Minnesota, and Massachusetts stand out as having strong and active unions. Apparently Colorado, Washington, and New Hampshire are pretty good states for nurses regardless of union status.

Cost of living in CA is high but they'll pay you more than $17/hr or whatever you would make if you stay put.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

my starting wage in the E.R was 19.24 and that was considered good for Kansas. :(

Fortunately housing was cheap as gently caress.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

Hooray the semester is now over! I managed to keep my 4.0 in nursing classes, and looks like I'm going to be getting hired as a prn monitor tech at one of the hospitals for the summer. It's at the hospital I want to work as an RN.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Hooray the semester is now over! I managed to keep my 4.0 in nursing classes, and looks like I'm going to be getting hired as a prn monitor tech at one of the hospitals for the summer. It's at the hospital I want to work as an RN.

4.0 and you get a Tele tech job? Nursing is officially saturated.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Roki B posted:

4.0 and you get a Tele tech job? Nursing is officially saturated.

To be fair, it sounds like they are still in school.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

Yeah, I'm halfway through our program now. I've also been a monitor tech for the last 6 years, just not at this specific hospital. Their ICU runs VADs, ECMO, and heart transplants, so it's definitely where I want to end up as an RN.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
To celebrate graduation, I made a Key Lime Pie.

Congrats, fellow grads!

E: Oh god I spent the day putting in like 14 applications at facilities in the general Fredericksburg-Richmond stretch and my brain is running out of my ears.

Annath fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 13, 2015

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Not to sound like too much of a wage whore, but seeing these posts about starting at $17-20 (if those are current) definitely makes me glad I work in Canada. I mean, our dollar is worth less so it balances out, but still. :canada: In other news I am working to get a license to work in the States just in case! Congratulations to the new grads who have posted and happy (late) nurses week!

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 13, 2015

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Not to sound like too much of a wage whore, but seeing these posts about starting at $17-20 (if those are current) definitely makes me glad I work in Canada. I mean, our dollar is worth less so it balances out, but still. :canada: In other news I am working to get a license to work in the States just in case! Congratulations to the new grads who have posted and happy (late) nurses week!

Yeah sure but our west coast money is nice.

Edit: which states we have lots

Roki B fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 14, 2015

Risky
May 18, 2003

MurderBot posted:

my starting wage in the E.R was 19.24 and that was considered good for Kansas. :(

Fortunately housing was cheap as gently caress.

Wow, I was making 19 an hour as an LPN here in Tampa.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My starting wage was $30/hr and it increases at a negotiated rate every year. Night diff is $2 something, weekend, overtime, and holiday all have differentials, and currently if I pick up an extra night shift on a holiday that falls on a weekend I can make around $80/hr. Being unionized is pretty nice.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'd say that I hate all of you but I'm hopped the boat from poor-ville money to rich man yacht :homebrew:

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Do all of you guys see a lot of nursing nepotism where you live or not really? I can't figure out if its just rampant everywhere or if its particularly bad in the deep south. I feel like I keep getting denied for positions and then finding out that other people in my class were hired for them when they have family who work in the same area. It seems like being hired is so much more about who you know than your skills or passion. And I've been schmoozing everyone I can get my hands on at nursing events, I've shown up to more events and job fairs than anyone else in my class to talk with the people in the areas I'm interested in and it's gotten me nowhere. So it's less who you know and more who your parents know. It's really frustrating.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Do all of you guys see a lot of nursing nepotism where you live or not really? I can't figure out if its just rampant everywhere or if its particularly bad in the deep south. I feel like

Lol, you are cute if you think this is uncommon. Welcome to America!

Dirp
May 16, 2007
You're nowhere as special and personable as you think you are and your "skills" and "passion" as a new grad are non-existent/worthless. Hope this helps.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Dirp posted:

You're nowhere as special and personable as you think you are and your "skills" and "passion" as a new grad are non-existent/worthless. Hope this helps.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Dirp posted:

The pessimistic person in me with low self esteem would love to say "yeah, this is the answer. It's because you loving suck compared to the people in your class." But in this instance I'm gonna stand up for myself and say, it's really not. I'd agree with this if it was a matter of not being hired because nurses with experience were hired instead but this is a situation in which classmates of mine with the same degree and lack of nursing experience as me are being hired on units that specifically told me they were not going to hire any new grads. Then magically they're hiring people from my class with family members in medicine in similar fields. I'd say yeah, maybe they've got something I don't but they really, really don't. I don't think I'm any more special or personable than the next gal but I have more medical experience than the people I'm being passed over for.

I'm doing everything right on my job search but gently caress me because my mommy's not a nurse with connections, basically.

djfooboo posted:

Lol, you are cute if you think this is uncommon. Welcome to America!
Oh I don't think it's uncommon. I just haven't lived anywhere not in the South so I wasn't sure if Southerners were particularly bad about it. It seems like a very conservative, GOP sort of thing to do. Puts me in mind of the "good ole boy" clubs we've got down here.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 14, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I'm doing everything right on my job search but gently caress me because my mommy's not a nurse with connections, basically.

But are you doing everything right? How does your resume look? How are your interviewing skills?

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Etrips posted:

But are you doing everything right? How does your resume look? How are your interviewing skills?

My resume is on point. I've had it looked over by a lot of different people and they all thought it was excellent. I've been through a lot of interviews over the years just as a result of the fact that my previous degree program forced us to do so, so many hours of practicum. I've also felt really good about the nursing interviews I've gone on so far. I've gone to every single nursing job open house or meet and greet for the hospitals I want to work for in the last five months. No one else in my class has bothered to show up to more than one of these events. I've gotten really good responses from directors of units that I'm not particularly interested in and essentially the cold shoulder from units at a hospital where:
a. I previously worked
b. I have medical experience in a related area
c. I've put tons of time and effort into speaking with those in charge over the past year

Really in this situation my problem isn't that my resume sucks or that I can't interview, it's that the people who control these units are taking radically different stances depending on who they're talking to. I've written directly to several directors on a number of occasions to be told that they are 100% absolutely not accepting new grads don't bother trying and then I find out a few months later that apparently they were since they hired classmates of mine with nursing connections. It's like who you know not only dictates the jobs you can get but also that what people tell you about these positions changes depending on whether or not they know your sister or something. And that's some bullshit. I'd hope that if I was laid up in the hospital the person taking care of me would have gotten the job because of who they were, not because of who they knew.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Wife and i just interviewed for a top tier oregon job and two hours later our travel agent says we have the offer. Having experience is the poo poo.

And the yearly household AGI increases by fifty, so that's nice. I will miss the 24 hour bars here in vegas though.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

I wonder how your references are, especially if units you've worked before don't seem to want you back. Have a close friend call to "check" them and report back.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Jamais Vu Again posted:

I wonder how your references are, especially if units you've worked before don't seem to want you back. Have a close friend call to "check" them and report back.

I previously worked at the hospital, not on the particular unit sorry if that was confusing. I don't think my references are the problem considering I'm being turned away before my resume exchanges hands, let alone references. And because my old boss recently went in person to give me a reference directly to the director of another unit, which is a lot of effort for someone you dislike.

I'm not worried about being hired but I am worried about being hired in an area I like. I have verbal from two units at a different area hospital (essentially been told "call me when you have your RN if you don't have a job and we'll hire you). However I'm interested in maternal child healthcare, not medsurg which is where I'm getting offers from. Every single one of those units from the hospital where I have history told me they weren't hiring when I attempted to get my foot in the door earlier in the semester. So it's not that I'm loving up at end of the process, it's that I've been stopped from even taking part in the process. It's just really frustrating to feel like people I've been in contact with on multiple occasions have no interest in even giving me a chance because I don't know someone who will schmooze on my behalf with them. Like, hell yeah my old boss and my preceptors would have gone to bat for me if I'd ever gotten as far as an interview with one of the maternal/child areas at this hospital but I was misled from the start. I applied to every job this unit posted for the last 6 months and was denied over and over because I didn't have my RN. Then they go hire someone from my class without their RN. I'd totally accept being passed over for someone with experience, I expect that, but not for someone in the same position as me.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So are you just speculating that they got the position because of family connections or is that what they actually told you? If the former, have you tried asking what they did?

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Etrips posted:

So are you just speculating that they got the position because of family connections or is that what they actually told you? If the former, have you tried asking what they did?

I asked her directly about it because I was surprised last week when she told me she was hired.

In retrospect I realize I sound like a bitter bitch. I'm not angry because someone has the job I want, I'm angry that I never even got a chance at that job because I lack connections. If I was interviewed and passed over, that would be one thing, then I would have known I'd done my best and been given a chance at least. It's not like I dislike my friend, she's a really great person and I'm sure she'll be a great nurse, but I dislike that the choice was never even provided to me despite my best efforts.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I previously worked at the hospital, not on the particular unit sorry if that was confusing. I don't think my references are the problem considering I'm being turned away before my resume exchanges hands, let alone references. And because my old boss recently went in person to give me a reference directly to the director of another unit, which is a lot of effort for someone you dislike.

I'm not worried about being hired but I am worried about being hired in an area I like. I have verbal from two units at a different area hospital (essentially been told "call me when you have your RN if you don't have a job and we'll hire you). However I'm interested in maternal child healthcare, not medsurg which is where I'm getting offers from. Every single one of those units from the hospital where I have history told me they weren't hiring when I attempted to get my foot in the door earlier in the semester. So it's not that I'm loving up at end of the process, it's that I've been stopped from even taking part in the process. It's just really frustrating to feel like people I've been in contact with on multiple occasions have no interest in even giving me a chance because I don't know someone who will schmooze on my behalf with them. Like, hell yeah my old boss and my preceptors would have gone to bat for me if I'd ever gotten as far as an interview with one of the maternal/child areas at this hospital but I was misled from the start. I applied to every job this unit posted for the last 6 months and was denied over and over because I didn't have my RN. Then they go hire someone from my class without their RN. I'd totally accept being passed over for someone with experience, I expect that, but not for someone in the same position as me.

Yeah this might be the problem.

At least in my area, NO ONE will hire new grads into ANY unit involving moms and babies/peds.

This even includes the crazy VCU Residency which will take you into any other unit in the hospital system (that has a slot open). They won't touch new grads in Maternity with a 10000000LY poll.

Of course this is just in my area, but it was also the first thing I thought of. If someone got in there as a new grad, and said they used connections/nepotism, I'd still be skeptical they got in, but I'd believe it over getting in with just your credentials.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Annath posted:

Of course this is just in my area, but it was also the first thing I thought of. If someone got in there as a new grad, and said they used connections/nepotism, I'd still be skeptical they got in, but I'd believe it over getting in with just your credentials.
Many folks in my class have been hired to L&D/NICU/PEDS positions, the majority of whom applied in other cities. However at least 3 people I know of have been hired to these positions at nearby hospitals, some as a result of our practicum and some, apparently, because of who they know. I know it's a cutthroat area and man am I ready to metaphorically cut throats for one of those positions, but there's been a lot of success in my program with this area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Roki B posted:

Wife and i just interviewed for a top tier oregon job and two hours later our travel agent says we have the offer. Having experience is the poo poo.

And the yearly household AGI increases by fifty, so that's nice. I will miss the 24 hour bars here in vegas though.

What kind of nurses are you guys? That is pretty cool dude, congrats.