Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
My go-to method has always been;

1) 2 turns out at assembly is usually good enough to start with so that you can
2) let it idle until up to temp so that you can
3) adjust your idle up to a fast idle using the throttle stop screw after which you
4) turn the pilot screw IN about 1/4 turn, wait 5 seconds, then do it again until it starts to drop and miss and then
5) start turn it OUT using the same method until it starts missing again at which point you
6) turn it mid way between the two spots where it starts to miss
7) once you've got the fuel screw set, re-adjust your throttle stop screw to an appropriate idle speed

This is what I've done on most carbs on single cylinder water cooled engines, so it might be more problematic on multi-cyl engines and/or air cooled ones, I dunno really. A bonus from this method is that if the idle never drops when you're turning the fuel screw in, you need a smaller pilot jet and if the idle never drops when you're turning the fuel screw out, you need a bigger pilot jet.

^^^^ Goddammit Rev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah no spec, I was as astounded as you but I'm looking at the hyoshit factory workshop manual and there's nothing. I'll try that method over the next couple of days and see what I can do. Is a manometer any assistance in this situation, and how fast is a 'fast' idle? The idle is meant to be ~1500 when warm.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Here's a question;

When I got home earlier I noticed my gear shifter lever was quite floppy and could wiggle side to side quite a bit and was drooping down a bit, I noticed the bolt holding it to the frame was a tad loose so I tightened it up to a reasonable strength. Tightening it too far (without hamfisting it) stops the lever moving at all, do I bother the shop about this or just tighten it just enough and put some glue on it?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Knowing what kind of bike it is will help, but I'm guessing your lever doesn't directly connect to the shift shaft, it connects to linkages that work the shaft, and you tightened down the pivot bolt for the lever? If you have a manual, check the torque spec on the bolt you tightened and make sure you didn't over-tighten it. If you don't have a manual, get a manual. It will tell you whether or not to use thread locker.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Kawasaki BN125, here we go;

Tightening with my fingers gets it comfortable, wrenching it is a fine line of being too tight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There should be a bolt with a shoulder so that you can tighten the nut fully whilst still leaving enough clearance for the lever to operate. That's probably not the factory bolt in there, or some washer/spacer is missing.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
diagram:

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b26e7f8700223e4791031/footrests

video: please note that if you watch this, you consent to doing a shot every time the narrator uses the word actual or actually. Also, it's all problem and no solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMBz_IDI3fk

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
I think you're looking for part 92150 and it's associated washers here:

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b26e6f8700223e4791024/gear-change-mechanism

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
I'm in the process of setting up an interview with victory motorcycles. Does anyone have any interesting anecdotes or knowledge of these bikes past what I can gleam from their website and youtube?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Giblet Plus! posted:

I'm in the process of setting up an interview with victory motorcycles. Does anyone have any interesting anecdotes or knowledge of these bikes past what I can gleam from their website and youtube?

They just announced their TT entry on what was formerly the Brammo platform - I'd be really curious what their plans are around development of the Brammo Empulse platform and what sort of direction they are planning on going with the electrics, as it's a bit of a step away from the old scene for them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I remember using teflon long ago as a chain lube. I see Amazon has a lot of options. Which ones do you guys recommend?

DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant, 11-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B0VDC2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_keKuvb1XYZHDY
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B0VDC2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_keKuvb1XYZHDY

Also for cleaning prior to lubing? Toothbrush and ..??

Klean-Strip Green QKGA75003 Denatured Alcohol, 1-Quart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FOSX9U/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_xhKuvb03CND7M
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FOSX9U/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_xhKuvb03CND7M

Maybe?

What was the recommended interval for chain cleaning and lubing? About 500?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I use kerosene to degrease and heavy-duty gear oil to lube.

http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10043-80W-90-Heavy/dp/B0007ZFTOA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1431456766&sr=8-3&keywords=lucas+heavy+duty+gear+oil

As for frequency, it's whenever so many of my tools are out that I feel like avoiding organizing my garage.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Kerosene works wonders for cleaning chains.

Alcohol can eat some kinds of rubbers, meaning you don't want it anywhere near an O-ring chain. (Or really anywhere on your bike since you don't want it getting splashed on a brake line either).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Damnit yeah kerosene that's what I meant and used to use, thanks!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I use this for chain care:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WH1TRU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've only used it a few times but I've been pretty happy with the results.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just squirt some cheap 10w40 on the chain once a week or so. Then before putting it away for winter I clean it with kerosene.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Pro tip : Lube / clean your chain after riding when it's still warm instead of before a ride. Better chance of lubricant seeping into the o-rings and less chance it'll all fling off onto your leg / swingarm.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Kerosene is without question the best and cheapest way to clean a chain. Chain lube however, is one of those things that's more about preference than anything else and you'll hear a thousand opinions about it. Personally, I hated using gear oil. It's messy and likes to fling off the chain. I like the dupont chain lube you linked quite a bit. Dries to a somewhat tacky wax. Seems to be keeping my chain going 16,000 miles later pretty well.The only disadvantage is the cost which I think is negligible anyway. I use a can or two a season.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

I just squirt some cheap 10w40 on the chain once a week or so. Then before putting it away for winter I clean it with kerosene.

Isn't that a big no-no for things like o-rings if you aren't lubing it after?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I like the Bel Ray Super Clean chain lube.

You also might want to pick up a Grunge Brush. They work a treat, and you can use them in a bicycle chain as well, if you have one.

My basic chain maintenance goes:

1. Spray on Simple Green Motosports Degreaser
2. Grunge Brush the poo poo out of it
3. Spray and brush some more
4. Rinse with boiling water from a kettle
5. Lube

I do this about every 500 miles, sometimes more often if it's been really rainy or otherwise filthy.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
edit: ^^ is that kind of cleaning necessary so often? I thought lube was needed every few hundred miles and cleaning every few thousand.

I use this every ~500 miles

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench-L711-Chain-Lube/dp/B003542HE0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1431466655&sr=8-9&keywords=motorcycle+chain+lube

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

hot sauce posted:

edit: ^^ is that kind of cleaning necessary so often? I thought lube was needed every few hundred miles and cleaning every few thousand.

I use this every ~500 miles

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench-L711-Chain-Lube/dp/B003542HE0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1431466655&sr=8-9&keywords=motorcycle+chain+lube

Honestly, my interval is probably pretty unnecessary. But I ride about 300 miles a week, so if I do it once a month in the summer, it's still ~700 miles or so between cleanings/lubes. I also ride on gravel a bit, and in the rain a lot, so I figure better safe than sorry.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Isn't that a big no-no for things like o-rings if you aren't lubing it after?

Thanks for all the help guys!

10w40 is different than WD-40.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:dogge:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I kerosene my chain with a grunge brush / toothbrush, then power wash the poo poo off, dry it, ride around the block, and then use the dupont teflon lube.

Every 500-600 miles or so.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Belt superiority: I ignore it until it breaks.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm in the process of stripping down an XR100. The frame is in pretty good shape but does have a few rust spots here and there. What's the best way to deal with that? I don't give a poo poo what it looks like, just want it as cleaned up as possible so I don't want to strip and repaint the whole thing. Is there some kind of spot paint or something I can hit the spots with after I sand off the rust?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Rustoleum?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
If I bought a used bike, and I'm really too new to have any intuition about how well it was maintained (except that it seems to work well to my very limited experience), should I just do the entire last maintenance going by the odometer right now?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

If I bought a used bike, and I'm really too new to have any intuition about how well it was maintained (except that it seems to work well to my very limited experience), should I just do the entire last maintenance going by the odometer right now?

Yes.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Stop trying to make fetch happen.

Slavvy posted:

Is a manometer any assistance in this situation, and how fast is a 'fast' idle? The idle is meant to be ~1500 when warm.

For balancing them to each other later on, a manometer would be handy. That's basically what a Carbtune is (a flashy manometer) after all. For setting the pilot screw(s), I've never used one. I'm sure you could plug it in and use it to set the optimal air flow, but I'm not sure that it would be accurate after you've fiddled with the idle and stuff. If normal idle is 1500, I'd just set it at 2000 or something while doing with this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

What do you mean..?

I do indeed have a carbtune, which I've used to balance the carbs on it in the past. Plugging it in and dicking around with the pilot screws didn't seem to have any significant effect on the tool; I'm not sure if that's normal or not as this is only the second carburetted bike I've used it on. It could be that the screws were so badly set that making small adjustments didn't make any difference because they would still have been in the 'way too rich' zone, I don't know. I've set the screws to 2 turns out each and it seems to run a bit better so I'll try your method tonight as circumstances have conspired against me having the opportunity thus far.

I've done what you described once before, on a small 4 cylinder, but it was around five years ago and I was asking here on the assumption that I had no idea what I was doing back then.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

:fry:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That reminds me I got cash out of a Hyosung ATM a couple days ago.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

:laffo:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BlackMK4 posted:

Tires get warmed from heavy accel/decel, not weaving. :v:

I never understood this. Friction is what's keeping the bike from lowsiding if you're weaving, so why isn't that friction warming the tires like accel/decel friction? Is it just an insignificant amount of friction?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The amount of friction generated by weaving side to side produces significantly less heat buildup than when accelerating / braking hard.

It's just really not that significant.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seriously, can someone explain what this is referring to?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Slavvy posted:

http://youtu.be/Pubd-spHN-0

Uhh I think? But they're also going on about some other poo poo so idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

Mean girls.