Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Everything's hot swappable if you're fast enough :slick:
My favorite are the HP array controller cache batteries which technically aren't hot swappable, but I've never had a problem doing it that way. Since the little fuckers have a MTBF of less than a year it would severely affect :byodood: my uptime :byodood: if I couldn't.

You still need to reboot the machine before the array controller stops whining about it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mogomra posted:

This is crazy. This is the craziest thing I've ever heard. Did they move the telecommunications room after this, or is the whole building going down every time there's a plumbing issue?

I want to know why they cut through the building main while water was flowing through it twice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mogomra posted:

This is crazy. This is the craziest thing I've ever heard. Did they move the telecommunications room after this, or is the whole building going down every time there's a plumbing issue?

So the building in NYC was owned by a family, and it was completely not up to code anywhere. The manager had his cousins sort of living there, in vacant offices, and working as maintenance people. It was crazy. I don't know why he was cutting the water main, but I do know he was trying to remodel the building and get it up to code since they were being fined a bunch. They did not move the telco room, and in fact it went down a few other times for other reasons. The building put a huge lock on the telco room door, but since the doorway wasn't square you could just sort of tilt the door towards the hinges and the locks would let go.

I have some other insane building stories from them. My clear favorite is:

We rented a 20x10 room in the sub-basement to use as a "datacenter" (please kill me). We rented space to clients to host services down there. It was a complete disaster on so many levels. One was that there was no ventilation or anything down there. We complained to the building manager and they put some portable A/Cs down there. They vented them out into the ceiling to above the tiles. However that was just a closed space with no where for the hot air to go. So eventually it just filled up with hot air, eventually a couple tiles deformed and fell out, so the room just had two A/C in it running full blast, basically heaters making steam. Our exchange server goes offline, and I run down there, and find one of the A/Cs had melted into a deformed neb-cubist version of an A/C, but it was still running, the fan was jammed up so it was just sitting there hot and burning. It was ridiculous. The building was like "what, there's no vents down there so deal with it." Funny thing was the common area the room opened up was properly A/C, so I just went to a hardware store, and bought a vent, punched a hole in the wall into the common space, and vented the hot air out there.

Some how our salesman referred to that as our "high availability colocation facility" when selling rack space on it to clients with a straight face.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Inspector_666 posted:

I want to know why they cut through the building main while water was flowing through it twice.

I honestly don't know. Best I can guess is the line was shutoff from the street, but he didn't account for a 12 story building height's worth of water pressure sitting upstream in the pipes. The guy didn't speak english, and the building managers were an organized Turkish crime family, so when we asked, they told us nothing.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ReelBigLizard posted:

My friend has a similar story, came into the office to find a dead network cupboard, no fibre connection, no ADSL, nada. Goes downstairs to find out that when the office one floor below moved out they couldn't be bothered to disconnect their patch rack properly, so they just took a huge pair of cable shears and cut the whole thing from the wall in one chop, not realising that the connectivity for every office above them went through the trunking too.

Your friend wouldn't happened to work for a company in VA? That sounds very familiar.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

flosofl posted:

This is where "I have this collection of archived email conversations I'd like you look at" comes in handy.

Oh, there were plenty of "We suggested to you.." conversations. Especially when this escalated up to our VP and their CIO. For some reason they just.couldn't. accept. that their "solution" went against everything we'd ever told them. Instead they demanded that we FIX THE PROBLEM instead of working around a known and well-documented issue.

After six months of conference calls, outages, escalations and flogging dead horses, they eventually went to the 1 directconnect / 1 VPN solution and the directconnect ran flawlessly until there was a planned maintenance on the line (that they ignored). We took the line down to service the endpoints and of course the VPN link died, which cycled a whole new round of escalations until we said, "Remember how we told you not to use VPN? Well, you are still using VPN so knock it off."

They shut up, but are still using VPN as a backup.

I don't understand this customer at all. They have literally millions of customers accessing a web front end in AWS that accesses a database in their datacenters somewhere else. You'd think they'd want that link to be as solid as possible with all the redundancy that exists in the known universe. Instead they choose to save a few thousand dollars a month (On a bill of over $400,000 a month) on a second-rate solution that takes them completely down every now and then.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

OAquinas posted:

Everything's hot swappable if you're fast enough :slick:

Did you know that some Enterprise level storage devices have a silent two minute warning, so if you pull a drive and go back to your desk to verify the part number and take too long the device can shut down on you?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Maaaaan... migrating e-mail archive solutions sucks.

Exporting each individual mailbox to PST then importing into the new platform has got to be the most mind-numbing point-n-clickery I've done in a long time.

No, there's no automatic process.

Yeah, I asked the (old solution's) vendor. They suddenly don't want to talk to us anymore.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lord Dudeguy posted:

e-mail sucks.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Exporting each individual mailbox to PST then importing into the new platform has got to be the most mind-numbing point-n-clickery I've done in a long time.

Yeah, I asked the (old solution's) vendor. They suddenly don't want to talk to us anymore.

AutoHotKey is good for stuff like this

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Isn't intern season almost upon us? That would be good work for interns. It'll give them a great line on their resume, too: "Led migration effort of email archiving solution to a best-in-class, enterprise platform."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Present it to the MigrationWiz guys as a challenge. I'm sure they will be able to sort something out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We have a contractor who is a perennial thorn in my side. I have previously fixed a minor error in his code -- he's a developer, nominally at least, I'm not -- that was stopping his project from working. He has previously walked into my office unannounced, looking for a cable that he can use to charge his kid's Nintendo DS -- I don't have one in my office, obviously -- and refusing to believe me when I tell him that no, the mini-USB cable he has picked up, uninvited, from my cable stock will not work. He also wouldn't leave, and kept reiterating to me what he was looking for. I even told him he could take the cable and try it if he wanted, which he also refused to do. Eventually I grouched at him and he left in a huff and wouldn't talk to me for several months.

As of the last month or so that good fortune has not continued. I had an early offsite meeting, and he emailed me to ask if I was in my office. No reason given. I informed him that I was offsite but would let him know when I was back. I did so, and he brought down a personally-owned, physically broken machine. The hinge was broken, and I told him I didn't work on personal computers and he should call the manufacturer about service. He said no, he just wanted to borrow a screwdriver. I very deliberately do not leave tools at work anymore, since I don't do much physical repair work and the last toolkit I left here disappeared. He left.

He emailed me a little later asking me to stop by his desk. I said sure, and asked what it was in reference to. Got back a reply: "Never mind..." Okay, fine, whatever.

He brought it back a few minutes ago, in worse condition than before. Surprise! He made the problem worse. He would not stop talking about how he couldn't get part of the shell to separate. I reiterated that I do not work on personal computers and he should call the manufacturer for service. He countered by telling me, again, that he couldn't separate the plastic.

We went back and forth a few times. I made a couple of suggestions, like checking the manufacturer's website for a service manual. Eventually he left.

I don't think I know what to do with someone whose response to being told "No, I won't fix your computer" is to describe the issue again. I don't know how much clearer I can be.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

We have a contractor who is a perennial thorn in my side. I have previously fixed a minor error in his code -- he's a developer, nominally at least, I'm not -- that was stopping his project from working. He has previously walked into my office unannounced, looking for a cable that he can use to charge his kid's Nintendo DS -- I don't have one in my office, obviously -- and refusing to believe me when I tell him that no, the mini-USB cable he has picked up, uninvited, from my cable stock will not work. He also wouldn't leave, and kept reiterating to me what he was looking for. I even told him he could take the cable and try it if he wanted, which he also refused to do. Eventually I grouched at him and he left in a huff and wouldn't talk to me for several months.

As of the last month or so that good fortune has not continued. I had an early offsite meeting, and he emailed me to ask if I was in my office. No reason given. I informed him that I was offsite but would let him know when I was back. I did so, and he brought down a personally-owned, physically broken machine. The hinge was broken, and I told him I didn't work on personal computers and he should call the manufacturer about service. He said no, he just wanted to borrow a screwdriver. I very deliberately do not leave tools at work anymore, since I don't do much physical repair work and the last toolkit I left here disappeared. He left.

He emailed me a little later asking me to stop by his desk. I said sure, and asked what it was in reference to. Got back a reply: "Never mind..." Okay, fine, whatever.

He brought it back a few minutes ago, in worse condition than before. Surprise! He made the problem worse. He would not stop talking about how he couldn't get part of the shell to separate. I reiterated that I do not work on personal computers and he should call the manufacturer for service. He countered by telling me, again, that he couldn't separate the plastic.

We went back and forth a few times. I made a couple of suggestions, like checking the manufacturer's website for a service manual. Eventually he left.

I don't think I know what to do with someone whose response to being told "No, I won't fix your computer" is to describe the issue again. I don't know how much clearer I can be.

Should have taken the computer and sent it back in even a worse state.

"Told you I don't fix these things".

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Thanks Ants posted:

Present it to the MigrationWiz guys as a challenge. I'm sure they will be able to sort something out.

Oh sweet they have our product listed- ah, dammit. "Coming soon".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Chances are they have something in Beta at least. Worth a shot i'd have thought.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A lawyer from a third-party law firm doing a presentation requires us to provide a laptop with his presentation on it.

Guess who gets to not only test the laptop but come in early tomorrow to plug the goddamn thing in?

I love how they have yet to hire a replacement heldpesk guy and I get to not sysadmin by doing this stuff.

MJP fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 13, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MJP posted:

A lawyer doing a presentation requires us to provide a laptop with his presentation on it.

Guess who gets to not only test the laptop but come in early tomorrow to plug the goddamn thing in?

I love how they have yet to hire a replacement heldpesk guy and I get to not sysadmin by doing this stuff.

Our loving stupid lawyer couldn't figure out how to open up a PDF file on the desktop, so IT got in trouble.

Now for all court poo poo they just print documents out to take in, which probably makes more sense anyway.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

We have a report that runs every night to show which stores are closed and which aren't. It hasn't worked for three nights in a row. There's one guy who can fix it (he wrote it, he's the only one that knows even what to look at). I'm guessing tonight is going to be night #4. He gets it working each night.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bob Morales posted:

Our loving stupid lawyer couldn't figure out how to open up a PDF file on the desktop, so IT got in trouble.

Now for all court poo poo they just print documents out to take in, which probably makes more sense anyway.

We've got a new field consultant who got all crotchety that his work is affected because we haven't set up his E-mail signature or given him a proper phone.

- I guided him over the phone about how to add a signature in Outlook 2007, absolute no-go the guy has no clue about how to manipulate files
- I get our outsourced help desk to contact him, they can't get ahold of him
- I send him a youtube video and tell him to call help desk as there's no other way (I don't have any RDP tools and his internet is poo poo)

- Doesn't use his company provided E-mail accessible through OWA

- Equip him with mobile phone (Nokia Lumia 635, Vodafone is our carrier)
- He says he gets poo poo signal with anything except EE
- Take out new contract for EE and send him the SIM
- Phone is carrier locked, provider sends instructions to unlock
- Takes days to get it done, phone doesn't even make calls anymore now (Don't even know if he unlocked it)
- Take out contract for ANOTHER phone and send it out to him (Nokia Lumia 640)

gently caress this guy so much.

Also gently caress everyone for hiring a replacement for our credit controller and providing zero training hoping I would pick up the pieces, I don't know dick about finance let alone the non-existent work procedures and barely functioning software.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I even just now got to schlep over an easel and whiteboard for this guy. To the conference center in the other building.

Why this ~conference center~ doesn't have such things already is beyond me.

If they don't start hiring in two weeks I start YotJing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Idiot consultant just came by again. He is retracing his steps because somehow he lost a connector required to reconnect the hard drive. Also, he wants to know if I have a spare screw he can borrow because he lost one, and can't I just pull one out of one of the business machines in my office?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

ReelBigLizard posted:

My friend has a similar story, came into the office to find a dead network cupboard, no fibre connection, no ADSL, nada. Goes downstairs to find out that when the office one floor below moved out they couldn't be bothered to disconnect their patch rack properly, so they just took a huge pair of cable shears and cut the whole thing from the wall in one chop, not realising that the connectivity for every office above them went through the trunking too.

I've seen this quite a few times. For some reason the lease has it stipulated that all tenant installed telco must be removed- I heard of one that went as far as to require the physical Cat 5e and drops to be removed and blank faceplates installed. The pour soul who has been dispatched this task simply hacks the wires at the wall and removes the patch panels/telco rack. It's a PITA when you walk into a new space and see this has happened. Thought I have been successful at convincing the broker to have new runs covered under TI. I've also seen it done out of spite- every drop had to be re-ran due to the assholes cutting each jack in the wall box. I almost want to give them a slow clap for the effort it must have took to do that to 192 drops.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Things not pissing me off. After today I am on vacation until the 30th. I will be in Copenhagen for a week, then to Prague for six days. Forgetting about work for that long is going to be so drat nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

the spyder posted:

I've seen this quite a few times. For some reason the lease has it stipulated that all tenant installed telco must be removed
I have never seen old 66 blocks and crap removed. ever.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

antisodachrist posted:

Things not pissing me off. After today I am on vacation until the 30th. I will be in Copenhagen for a week, then to Prague for six days. Forgetting about work for that long is going to be so drat nice.

Prague is an amazing city - have fun dude! We have a related company just outside of Prague and I'm always looking for reasons to head over there.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

myron cope posted:

We have a report that runs every night to show which stores are closed and which aren't. It hasn't worked for three nights in a row. There's one guy who can fix it (he wrote it, he's the only one that knows even what to look at). I'm guessing tonight is going to be night #4. He gets it working each night.
Which is what, like a T-SQL query? That doesn't seem like a terribly complex report, so it doesn't reflect well on the rest of the team that they can't figure this out.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Which is what, like a T-SQL query? That doesn't seem like a terribly complex report, so it doesn't reflect well on the rest of the team that they can't figure this out.

Well we see a webpage ("report" was being general) but if I ask any other sysadmin about it they have no idea because they're not allowed access to even see what it is, let alone any training/documentation on it at all

It auto-refreshes every 5 seconds and is generally terrible

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Emc sucks at getting your orders right. Ordered some more storage for our array, got the wrong molex cables. They finally sent me the right kind of cables but there is one problem.

Please note the cables on the right are 6 feet and the ones are the left are the ones they have sent us.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

Emc sucks at getting your orders right. Ordered some more storage for our array, got the wrong molex cables. They finally sent me the right kind of cables but there is one problem.

Please note the cables on the right are 6 feet and the ones are the left are the ones they have sent us.

Do what my coworkers would do and just weave the excess slack through every other cable in the rack.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do they even work at that sort of length?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Moey posted:

Do what my coworkers would do and just weave the excess slack through every other cable in the rack.

One company I worked at had a ton of really long (like 15' or more) power cables lying around. God knows where they came from, probably one of the dozens of companies we acquired over the years. When they went to build out their new data center, they were too cheap to buy new cables of the proper length, so they just used those ridiculously long cables and dropped the excess into the raised floor. After they were done, every rack had a gigantic twenty-pound tangled ball of excess large-gauge power cord underneath it.

Oh yeah, and they made our provisioning guy manually trace every power cable in the data center once a month or so (without disconnecting any of them) to verify they were still plugged into the ports they were supposed to be connected to. :smithicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dennyk posted:

Oh yeah, and they made our provisioning guy manually trace every power cable in the data center once a month or so (without disconnecting any of them) to verify they were still plugged into the ports they were supposed to be connected to. :smithicide:

I'd get that job done in a surprisingly short amount of time I think. And magically without having to lift any floor tiles.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Some rear end in a top hat has scheduled a meeting 2 days in a row now at the same time each day and no showed both times with no word said to anyone about it. gently caress you guy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Happy page 400, thread

J posted:

Some rear end in a top hat has scheduled a meeting 2 days in a row now at the same time each day and no showed both times with no word said to anyone about it. gently caress you guy.

And gently caress that guy

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

J posted:

Sounds like solid grounds on which to decline future meeting bookings.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

Do they even work at that sort of length?

gently caress if I know but if we are spending 50k+ in anything we deserve the correct cables at a reasonable length.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why do people make website that don't load certain parts until you scroll over them? This is Dell's product pages, not some endless-scrolling monstrosity. I will open a page, tab to something else, come back and scroll down and oh wait it has to load.

No part of me believes it is worth the extra effort to throw the JavaScript together to do that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Saves bandwidth if some significant percentage of visitors don't scroll past certain points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo not pissing me off: Converting a gigantic unwieldy excel spreadsheet into a nice mysql db with a good web interface.