Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like tanks, so this makes me sad. At least I still have robots... until GW fucks those over somehow.

e: Have Some Tanks

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Tanks are bad. Tyranids don't have tanks. Therefore, Tyranids are good.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
What is it specifically that's making tanks noticeably worse? Is it the prevalence of D, or of Haywire, or what?

Clearly the solution is just for FW to release Extra Armoured Ceramite that lets your vehicles ignore the extra effects of D weapons, like they did for melta. :v:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Orks!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

What is it specifically that's making tanks noticeably worse? Is it the prevalence of D, or of Haywire, or what?

Clearly the solution is just for FW to release Extra Armoured Ceramite that lets your vehicles ignore the extra effects of D weapons, like they did for melta. :v:

Cheap as chips D weapons and haywire are hard counters against tanks.

An upgrade that downgrades D weapons or haywire would definitely help, but then you're stuck with AV15 5HP spartan tanks being entirely untouchable.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

I like tanks, so this makes me sad. At least I still have robots... until GW fucks those over somehow.

Please take care of your machine spirits

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Lord Twisted posted:

Some pretty lazy new marine tanks, by the looks of things. Probably should just be upgrade sprues...

Alright, the Rhino is gonna be a derpy version of the Damocles Command Rhino that lets you add +/-1 to reserves or something like that. It'll have the TL'ed Plasma on the turret there and cost probably way too much.

The Land Raider will be... hmmm... just under 300pts, I think, because GW is still convinced the basic LR isn't a pile of worthless garbage and I think at this point they're catching on that Grav weapons are really good, but will manage to overestimate it anyways. There's no way it has a capacity of more than 10, and could easily be one of the worthless "only carries five" variants.

Hihohe posted:

Rules question. Can you cast a psychic power while in close combat. Like a Blessing?

Unless specified otherwise, yes. Witchfires cannot be used in combat (because they require you to be able to make a shooting attack), but other types of powers are not so limited.

LordAba posted:

They do have the same thing in Fantasy (each wound multiplied out, but only really impacts multi-wound models), so there is precedent. Though it could either way depending on the wording.

This is also how Str D weapons work.

BULBASAUR posted:

55 points for two plasma cannon shots or 6 haywire attacks at 30" is a steal. gently caress, it could take out a spartan in one turn of shooting. Think about that for a minute.

Is it me or has the recent power creep put vehicles in a really bad spot?

AdMech stuff bringing a billion haywire shots has definitely made them look a bit less attractive overall, but I think the real problem is more that GW hasn't been printing any really strong vehicles recently.

I'm not sure I feel the Plasma is that amazing yet- it's still Gets Hot and BS3 so it's quite likely you'll lose a shot each turn (and the 4+ save means that there's a good chance it will actually tick off a wound when you do.) The middling save also means they are very vulnerable to the multishot high-Str weapons that are out there in plenty these days. The Haywire version I can see as something to cram into a Drop Pod, since it's way more of a "solution" unit, but Skitarii might still fill that role better.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

55 points for two plasma cannon shots or 6 haywire attacks at 30" is a steal. gently caress, it could take out a spartan in one turn of shooting. Think about that for a minute.

Is it me or has the recent power creep put vehicles in a really bad spot?

That's grav, not haywire, the breachers have a 2 shot 36" haywire gun at 50ppm though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Cheap as chips D weapons and haywire are hard counters against tanks.

An upgrade that downgrades D weapons or haywire would definitely help, but then you're stuck with AV15 5HP spartan tanks being entirely untouchable.

I assure you, I was being facetious when I suggested it as a "solution." :v:

Thanks for the explanation!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

That's grav, not haywire, the breachers have a 2 shot 36" haywire gun at 50ppm though.

Ah, right, so it only gets haywire on a 6. I keep confusing 30k and 40k grav weapons :(

Sorry I am bad warham

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

WAAAAGHHHHHHHH!

Im the stressed out Gretchin

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

My ham group is looking into possibly starting a Dark Heresy night once a month and I'm leaning towards the Imperial Psyker. I want to kitbash my model. Any ideas of what models would kitbash well?

Looking at a starting model of the Inquisitor Solomon Lok model and kit bashing from that but most of the psyker models are metal making this a harder task...

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
What kind of armor do you anticipate wearing? Tempestus Scions or a Primaris Psyker might be good starting points.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Consider looking at warhammer fantasy models too

Lots of plastic, easy to convert casters in robes and stuff

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Admech models so far have been pretty great, but seriously they are way overcosted, especially the 55 point 4+ armour dudes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Torsion cannons do D3 wounds because it tears the target's testicles off by twisting them super hard

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Torsion cannons do D3 wounds because it tears the target's testicles off by twisting them super hard

Where do the 1 or 3 wound results come from, then?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JerryLee posted:

Well the 1 is when the torsion cannon reaches out and gives you a stiff sack tap, the kind where you are doubled over and possibly coughing.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
In 7th, can your unit still assault an enemy unit forced to disembark from a transport your unit shot at in the shooting phase.

I'd been presuming I could but can't find anything in the rulebook saying I can do that anymore.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Stanyer89 posted:

Wait. You have Imperial Knights and Blood Angels too!?

So do you have a bunch of dusty Dark Angels models sitting on a shelf too? If so, we would literally have all three of the same armies.

I have an Imperial Knight and Blood Angels! And I guess you can count my Dark Vengeance Dark Angels that are gathering dust.

...and about 1800 points of Necrons.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

JerryLee posted:

Remember, mutation is very common in the 41st Millenium.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Cataphract posted:

In 7th, can your unit still assault an enemy unit forced to disembark from a transport your unit shot at in the shooting phase.

I'd been presuming I could but can't find anything in the rulebook saying I can do that anymore.

Very bottom of p.82. Any unit that shoots at a transport that gets destroyed can charge whatever disembarks, even if they weren't personally the ones that killed it.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I have a game on Saturday with my daemonkin army and I'm wondering what the general consensus is on the Blood for the Blood God! rule with characters; the text states "A character with the Blood for the Blood God! special rule is slain, or slays an enemy character in a challenge." To me it seems like that's saying that a point is earned when your character is killed in a challenge, but apparently there's some debate and others think you get the point no matter how your character dies.

I was hoping there would be a faq for this but of course that's wishful thinking. Since I'll be the daemonkin player it won't be a tough sell to play it the way I think it reads (since it puts me at a disadvantage), but if I'm wrong it'd be a pretty big boost to blood tithe points and would let me get a blood thirster or two in while they can still assault before end of game.

Edit: From a grammatical perspective I'd probably say that you get the point whenever a character is killed because of that comma, but you don't usually talk about models being slain outside of challenges; it's much more common to see "removed as a casualty" and the flavor of that part of the rule seems to be a reward for winning or losing a challenge, and not just making every unit with a character to be worth two blood tithe points when they die.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 14, 2015

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

drgnvale posted:

I have a game on Saturday with my daemonkin army and I'm wondering what the general consensus is on the Blood for the Blood God! rule with characters; the text states "A character with the Blood for the Blood God! special rule is slain, or slays an enemy character in a challenge." To me it seems like that's saying that a point is earned when your character is killed in a challenge, but apparently there's some debate and others think you get the point no matter how your character dies.

I was hoping there would be a faq for this but of course that's wishful thinking. Since I'll be the daemonkin player it won't be a tough sell to play it the way I think it reads (since it puts me at a disadvantage), but if I'm wrong it'd be a pretty big boost to blood tithe points and would let me get a blood thirster or two in while they can still assault before end of game.

Edit: From a grammatical perspective I'd probably say that you get the point whenever a character is killed because of that comma, but you don't usually talk about models being slain outside of challenges; it's much more common to see "removed as a casualty" and the flavor of that part of the rule seems to be a reward for winning or losing a challenge, and not just making every unit with a character to be worth two blood tithe points when they die.

I can see how someone could interpret it either way if being super anal about exact wording, but the rule clearly means in a challenge both ways.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Master Twig posted:

I can see how someone could interpret it either way if being super anal about exact wording, but the rule clearly means in a challenge both ways.

I can see how someone could interpret it either way if being super anal about exact wording, or how its worded, or how words work when written, but there is a clear statement that the character gives blood points when...

He is Slain.
He Slays Someone In a Challenge.

Considering slaining people seems to imply they die and/or are removed as a casualty, the words say that he also gives a blood point when he dies aka is slain. I do not think slaining specifically is called out as being challenge only in the rule book, but it is possible you can only Slain, Slay or be Slain Apon in a challenge and these rules are clearly stating Slaineded is a status different from suffering a casualty or being the dead to provide said blood point.
That is what it says.
Of course... GW also made rules where a Pyrovore hits everyone on the table in combat with a nuclear blast if killed so...hmmm....

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Like I said, I don't think it'll be hard to convince the other players of my interpretation (which is the same as yours Master Twig), but it sure would be nice to be wrong here.

The thing that really annoys me about daemonkin is that summoning a bloodthirster or turning into a daemon prince (if your model has wings) means that you can't assault until three turns later (reasoning is that you are swooping when you arrive via deep strike, then you glide the following turn, then assault on the third turn). You'll have to summon the bloodthirster by turn 3 if you want a good chance to assault, and in the low points games I tend to play having 5 or 6 units fully dead by turn 3 is very rare.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I say the more liberal interpretation is correct because dying in his name pleases Khorne in the fluff.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I say it that way because of the way it's worded, rules as intended is pretty clearly to mean both in a challenge. If it wasn't meant that way, it would be worded very differently. Knowing how GW writes their rules, if they meant for it to gain the bonus any time the character is killed at all, it would probably be done in it's own sentence, with the bonus for killing an enemy in a challenge in a different sentence.

Yeah, it's poorly worded, but I think the intention is pretty clear.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Apparently by British grammar conventions the modifier "in a challenge" would apply to both sides of the comma. I lean that way too; there's no reason combine the sentences otherwise.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

Those are all amazinge, but I especially like the detailing and conversion on this one.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I know this was touched on earlier, but i just used a d-scythe (the flamer template one) on a group of like 20 necrons, it pretty much wiped em out because we were going on the blast template rules of a sorta random allocation. Is that right? or should it only effect the models the template cover?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's closest model to the firing models like usual. The models under the template don't matter.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's closest model to the firing models like usual. The models under the template don't matter.

drat thats rough. D-scythe OP!

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hihohe posted:

drat thats rough. D-scythe OP!

It is closest model but you can only kill as many models as are in range of the weapons firing. so if you're firing three template weapons and they can each only hit the same three models. You'll get 9 hits but can only kill those 3 guys.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

So wait. I couldnt kill models not covered by the template?

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

drgnvale posted:

The author clarified that your interpretation is correct in a facebook post (https://m.facebook.com/BlogForTheBloodGod/photos/a.1433182543595254.1073741826.1433169386929903/1597259170520923/?type=1) but the way it's written is opposite of that interpretation. GW strikes again! However don't forget if your character is an IC then he's a unit of one and counts for a point if slain in a challenge or not (and 2 in a challenge).

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hihohe posted:

Yes and no. Wounds caused by templates are resolved normally, so you generate your wounds, create and a wound pool, and then would still remove models from nearest to farthest. This means you can pop models close to your unit that were not actually under the template. However, this also means that if you run out of models to apply template wounds to within range of the weapon, the wounds fizzle.

So say 5 templates are fired at 20 Necrons, each hitting 4 of the assholes (some of these are hitting the same dudes multiple times) but none of the back 10. We'll assume hot dice, and you have 20 wounds to apply as a result. Those 20 wounds are applied nearest to farthest against the Necrons, but as soon as you hit the back 10 you could not touch with the templates, the wounds fizzle and the wound pool empties because you are now out of range.

Cataphract posted:

It is closest model but you can only kill as many models as are in range of the weapons firing. so if you're firing three template weapons and they can each only hit the same three models. You'll get 9 hits but can only kill those 3 guys.
Basically this.

Von Humboldt fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 14, 2015

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Hihohe posted:

Template weapons only hit models under the template, not units under the template, so if you hit 3 Necrons with the D-Scythe template then only 3 models can be killed.

'Yeah, but I rolled a 6 on the Destroyer table and then another 6 so I'm doing 12 wounds instead of 1!'

Nice rolling but you're doing 12 wounds to 1 singular super dead Necron as (quoting the BRB here) '... multiple wounds/Hull Points inflicted by a Destroyer hit do not carry over to other models in the unit (any excess are lost).'

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 14, 2015

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Hihohe posted:

You can, but only if they are within range.

Say you put the flame template down, and it covers three dudes. There's a guy to the side of the template that isn't covered, and a guy at the back who isn't covered. By covering 3 dudes, you score three hits. You roll well and get 3 casualties. Yay! Then you follow normal wound allocation rules, meaning you remove models from the front. In this case, you would remove 2 that were under the template, plus the 1 that was to the side, uncovered, but still closer than all the rest. You're left with 1 guy who was at the back, and 1 guy who was covered but is farther back than someone else who took the hit instead.

Say you scored more than 3 hits, like if you threw a second template down, hitting the same 3 dudes. You now have six hits total, but because the guy at the back is out of range of the templates, he can never be hit even if he ends up being the closest for removal purposes. Any additional hits are discarded.

Blast templates work the exact same way. Doesn't matter who is under the thing, models are always removed from the front if they are in range. If it's a barrage weapon, then models are removed from the centre of the template outwards, not the front.

Beaten by a pimp commissar.

Squifferific fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Squifferific posted:

Blast templates work the exact same way. Doesn't matter who is under the thing, models are always removed from the front if they are in range. If it's a barrage weapon, then models are removed from the centre of the template outwards, not the front.

To make things even more confusing, blasts only need to be placed so that the hole is within range of the weapon (the rest of the template can hang be1yond its maximum range) and, if it scatters beyond the weapons maximum range it can kill models beyond maximum range.

• Locked thread