Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fetterkey posted:

I do think Conquest has been pretty good in terms of meta shifts and deck variety. Almost every pack has made new warlords and new builds viable, which I've been very impressed by. The warlord/signature squad system strikes me as a good balance between the SWLCG "pods" and the more freeform customization that I enjoy in traditional card games. That said, I do wish some of the one-off supports and attachments were a little less swingy. Playing against Kith with Khymera Den or Cato with Tempest Blade is very different from the alternative!

Yeah, I'd prefer if all the signature squad cards were 2-4 copies simply due to the swinginess. I get that the singletons are supposed to be Big Deals but by their nature they're going to be silly swingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I'm hoping to see some replacement options for sig squads at some point. It'd be nice to have not flashgitz one day

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

If I could by a "completion pack" for any LCG core with just the cards I need to get everything in triplicate, I'd buy it in a heartbeat even if it cost like 75-85% of the core set price. It's not so much about the money than the fact that I just feel really really lovely buying Yet Another Core Set with a useless huge cardboard box and a bunch of cards that I have literally no use for.

AGOT 1st Ed was a great buy because it was basically 190 singletons. I'm willing to bet 2nd ed will be more of the same.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the intended synergy of Meneldors Flight considering you can't save the chump discard eagles?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

What is the intended synergy of Meneldors Flight considering you can't save the chump discard eagles?

Abusing entering/leaving play effects like Descendant of Thorondor.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The wording is ambiguous since it doesn't say you can't choose an eagle ally in a discard pile.

Edit: But checking further, to interact with discard piles it needs to be specifically stated. If only you could use it before a discard action resolves.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 14, 2015

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Baharroth is a hell of a lot of fun to play as. Although infuriating for the space marine player I was playing against as I dodged around their forces

FFG really captured the irritation of eldar

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Abusing entering/leaving play effects like Descendant of Thorondor.

So given the eagle limitation, that's Descendant and Gwahir, 4 and 5 cost. Seems mediocre.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

So given the eagle limitation, that's Descendant and Gwahir, 4 and 5 cost. Seems mediocre.

That, and expensive way to heal/remove conditions?

I only just started playing so there might be more.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PJOmega posted:

That, and expensive way to heal/remove conditions?

I only just started playing so there might be more.

Not really. Honestly, it's just not that great of a card.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So as someone who has never played the old GoT LCG nor cared enough to read the rules for it, how much has changed from the previews that they've shown? I know the Plot Deck change was meant to be a pretty big deal, but what else?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Besides the 2 new houses, deckbuilding rules, and the changes to the plot deck (singletons with 1 duplicate and a reserve value) there hasn't been anything significant besides card layout and art. We'll see more with more previews as far as rules and mechanics changes.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

Carteret posted:

Besides the 2 new houses, deckbuilding rules, and the changes to the plot deck (singletons with 1 duplicate and a reserve value) there hasn't been anything significant besides card layout and art. We'll see more with more previews as far as rules and mechanics changes.

What are the changes to the deckbuilding rules?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

So as someone who has never played the old GoT LCG nor cared enough to read the rules for it, how much has changed from the previews that they've shown? I know the Plot Deck change was meant to be a pretty big deal, but what else?

Other then that, the biggest thing seems to be the end of turn hand limit that changes depending on the plot chosen. They also removed influence and the gold penalty for playing out of faction cards. Now it looks like they're doing something similar to Conquest, where you can choose a House to ally with and use non-loyal cards of that faction in your deck. They said something about removing the less frequent keywords too. We've seen Renown in the previews at least. Mostly, it seems like the game is the same, they're just cleaning out all the cruft that's built up over the years.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
This whole cycle looks like it will have some fun player cards.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/6/2/the-battle-of-carn-dum/

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dammit FFG give me more Conquest.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

GrandpaPants posted:

Dammit FFG give me more Conquest.

Art sleeves are shipping to stores now at least! :v:

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

The Zarathur alr Art looks great even if I'm never going to get my hands on one

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MisterShine posted:

The Zarathur alr Art looks great even if I'm never going to get my hands on one

You can generally buy those kits for like 30-50 on Ebay (this is based on Netrunner, so it may be cheaper for other games?). Give out the extra cards to your friends, sell them to various other folks who aren't necessarily your friends, and it's a pretty okay price for an alt art and a playmat.

Also, it begins!

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I don't care enough to actually buy the thing

That venomthrope on the other hand yasssss

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

So I'm finally getting a chance to play LotR with other people tomorrow. One of them (my brother) has played the game with me once before, but the other people (potentially up to two, I don't know exactly who's going to be there) are new to the game. The problem here is that I only have one core, plus Hunt for Gollum. Playing on easy should reduce the strain a bit; are there any cards from HfG that you all, the experienced deckbuilders, would add in? Assume that I'd stick to 30 card decks in 4 player. If there's only three, I'll probably have the Beorn's Path decks available, but that'll mean having to create a similar deck for the third player with the leftovers, so suggestions on that would be nice, too.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

NuclearPotato posted:

So I'm finally getting a chance to play LotR with other people tomorrow. One of them (my brother) has played the game with me once before, but the other people (potentially up to two, I don't know exactly who's going to be there) are new to the game. The problem here is that I only have one core, plus Hunt for Gollum. Playing on easy should reduce the strain a bit; are there any cards from HfG that you all, the experienced deckbuilders, would add in? Assume that I'd stick to 30 card decks in 4 player. If there's only three, I'll probably have the Beorn's Path decks available, but that'll mean having to create a similar deck for the third player with the leftovers, so suggestions on that would be nice, too.

Leadership
Replace Brok Ironfist and/or Grim Resolve for Campfire Tales and Dunedain Mark

Lore
Replace Gandalf's Search with Strider's Path

Spirit
Replace Power in the Earth for Westfold Horse-Breaker

Tactics
Replace Stand Together for Winged Guardian.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

You can generally buy those kits for like 30-50 on Ebay (this is based on Netrunner, so it may be cheaper for other games?). Give out the extra cards to your friends, sell them to various other folks who aren't necessarily your friends, and it's a pretty okay price for an alt art and a playmat.

Also, it begins!

That Venomthrope looks amazing, both in terms of art and power level!

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I can't wait to be in the tyranid battle royale: ie, summer tournaments

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fetterkey, are you bigbellyjarelli on OCTGN?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

SuperKlaus posted:

Fetterkey, are you bigbellyjarelli on OCTGN?

Yeah, what's up?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
The new conquest pack was announced. Theres a new dope as poo poo Chaos warlord and an unpreviewed Dark Eldar warlord in it.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Over-Extension Loss.png

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MisterShine posted:

Over-Extension Loss.png

uhm

wut

e: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/6/8/boundless-hate/

Some pretty cool stuff in here. That Space Hulk is legit.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 8, 2015

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Awesome. I love the idea of a warlord that (at least to some extent) wants to get bloodied, as well as a Chaos warlord that focuses on Chaos Marines rather than on dæmons. I do somewhat worry that 3/11 is an overwhelmingly good statline, but since damage is permanent (remove damage planet aside), it shouldn't be too hard to wear this guy down over time, which in turn leads to an interesting risk/reward calculation.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, 3/11 on the unbloodied side would be bonkers. But one swing and you are stuck on that planet getting hit by staging grounds, catachan outposts, ambush platforms, a plethora of events that boost attack.

He's gonna be vicious, but he's gonna get slapped too

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fetterkey posted:

Yeah, what's up?

Just curious who was popping in the game room, and observed the avatar.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Fetterkey posted:

Awesome. I love the idea of a warlord that (at least to some extent) wants to get bloodied, as well as a Chaos warlord that focuses on Chaos Marines rather than on dæmons. I do somewhat worry that 3/11 is an overwhelmingly good statline, but since damage is permanent (remove damage planet aside), it shouldn't be too hard to wear this guy down over time, which in turn leads to an interesting risk/reward calculation.

3/11 with the possibility of permanent armorbane (and a pretty sick hale side too - non-forced damage absorb and possibly brutal). He's one of the Warlords with bonkers one-of support and one-of attachment. No whatever-Strakens-crappy-attachment-is-called here.

Edit: Still faintly suspecting there'll be a surprise planet in the next cycle, since the entire thing is about the fight for a planet that isn't one of the ones we're actually fighting over.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 9, 2015

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Laughin' at Tau's Prudent Fire Warriors. Every one of their units is Fire Warrior Guys or Adjective Fire Warriors. Are they really so flavor-textually boring and underdeveloped they can't find a military unit other than Fire Warrior Number 16 to print?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Tau players weren't really playing them for the infantry

The lack of Kroot variants is pretty unforgivable though

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MisterShine posted:

The lack of Kroot variants is pretty unforgivable though

I'm kinda more disappointed at the lack of more sweet rear end mechs, honestly. Maybe the new Tau Commander does something for vehicles + elites since Shadowsun does dick all for the former and the game in general doesn't do much for the latter.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
At this point Farsight is pretty much a given, and I'm glad about that.

SuperKlaus posted:

Laughin' at Tau's Prudent Fire Warriors. Every one of their units is Fire Warrior Guys or Adjective Fire Warriors. Are they really so flavor-textually boring and underdeveloped they can't find a military unit other than Fire Warrior Number 16 to print?

You have Fire Warriors, Pathfinders, and then the auxiliaries right? Ge'Vesa, Kroot and Vespids. Yeah, not much variety.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Actually this next cycle is supposed to be all new originals for warlords

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
I wish FFG would release a deck builder app so I could put LotR decks together on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm kinda more disappointed at the lack of more sweet rear end mechs, honestly. Maybe the new Tau Commander does something for vehicles + elites since Shadowsun does dick all for the former and the game in general doesn't do much for the latter.

It looks like the new Tau Commander is a Crisis Suit (based on the Burst Cannon attachment + art), so he might have some more stuff there? That said, the product page for the first pack says that the Tau commander features "unlikely allies", which doesn't sound too promising for suits.

As for Kroot, Carnivore Pack owns - it's one of the few Tau cards with any staying power at all and it works really well with Aun'shi decks, since its death often gives you the resources you need to send in an Aun'ui Prelate and clean up.