Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Xenomrph posted:

Whoa, seriously? I figured they were stealth-proof and would just leave them alone until I'd dropped the Commanders and it was safe to "go loud". Thanks for the tip!

You absolutely have to keep firing until they explode. So you have to make sure it's dead on their oxygen tank.

I guess if you do it quickly enough they don't get their "I'm hit" bark out so even though they blow the gently caress up they don't actually alert anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of Stormfront (lol), when The New Order came out, the "morbid curiosity" part of me wanted to check Stormfront's forums to see if any of them reacted to the game. Like on the one hand the game has this fantasy land where the Nazis won WWII and rule the world and poo poo, but then the gameplay has you brutally butchering those same Nazis by the hundreds.

Checking their forums would involve having loving Stormfront in my browsing history though, and I'm not THAT desperate to see what a bunch of bigoted assholes think of a video game.

just go on /v/. whenever /V/ tries to have a Wolfenstein thread, /Pol/ aka chan version stormfront comes in and shits up the thread calling it "jew" propaganda and stupid poo poo like that.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

pengun101 posted:

just go on /v/. whenever /V/ tries to have a Wolfenstein thread, /Pol/ aka chan version stormfront comes in and shits up the thread calling it "jew" propaganda and stupid poo poo like that.

This fictional ww2 doesn't fit with my fictional ww2!!!!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

echronorian posted:

This fictional ww2 doesn't fit with my fictional ww2!!!!

My favorite is, "Why do you have to fight the good guys in this game?" Also, this Steam forum post:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bypass... as in "skip them"? As in not... kill them?

Not kill... nazis. Do something that doesn't result in the Nazis dead. There are Nazis there, but you don't kill them...

I must be misunderstanding you. :confused:

Maybe the other poster isn't feeling good? Maybe killing more Nazis would help? v:shobon:v

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

My favorite is, "Why do you have to fight the good guys in this game?" Also, this Steam forum post:

Maybe the other poster isn't feeling good? Maybe killing more Nazis would help? v:shobon:v

lollin @ "Nazis"

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bypass... as in "skip them"? As in not... kill them?

Not kill... nazis. Do something that doesn't result in the Nazis dead. There are Nazis there, but you don't kill them...

I must be misunderstanding you. :confused:
:agreed: you should be definitely setting off every alarm on purpose to get them to call for reinforcements to maximize nazi death

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Macaluso posted:

I think one of my favorite little details about the game is if you hold off on killing nazis right away when you enter a room, you can hide and listen to the conversation they're having. I particularly liked the one where the two nazis were talking about how loving crazy all the paranormal stuff, and then the other guy is like "why did you even join the paranormal team if you don't believe it"

Basically how the plot was delivered in RTCW, and it's one of my favorite bits of these games. I love eavesdropping on Nazis and then killing them. The grammar Nazi and the He's not gonna get the drop on me! bits were almost up there with the frozen generator bit in RTCW. There's also a lot of notes around to read, though I didn't find them very memorable outside the context of the game, like learning about Helga's motivations and such.

I finished my replay on Uber and I realized I had skipped right past the second audio recording, which is in a guard house in the crypt level. Why these aren't marked as collectibles I'm not sure, but they certainly are some of the most shocking voice acting in the game.

As far as stealth goes, I generally play this game as stealthy as I can when it benefits (e.g. when there's commanders around). There's just something satisfying about offing guys with the knife or pipe. On Uber you will get punished very harshly for alerting guards. Some of the commander placement in level 6 and 8 are very tough, but you can get to them using alternate routes. I didn't have any trouble headshotting guys with the pistol, but I didn't know you could stealth the heavies so long as they don't call for backup.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Ugh, gently caress the "clean hands" view of history.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Regardless aren't like 100% of the nazis you kill SS in the first place. So they weren't forced to do poo poo

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Bolow posted:

Regardless aren't like 100% of the nazis you kill SS in the first place. So they weren't forced to do poo poo
Please do not besmirch the good name of USMC Scout Snipers everywhere thank you

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I have to admit, making the zombies FLAMING zombies spontaneously combusting was a good way of making zombies fresh again, no pun intended.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Speedball posted:

I have to admit, making the zombies FLAMING zombies spontaneously combusting was a good way of making zombies fresh again, no pun intended.

The fact that the zombies are priority targets for non-zombie Nazis adds an interesting element to the firefights, as well.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

The fact that the zombies are priority targets for non-zombie Nazis adds an interesting element to the firefights, as well.

Yeah that was cool. There was a point near the end where I would've had to deal with regular Nazis, except I killed one and it turned into a zombie and instantly started going after the alive Nazis and then they two of them were too distracted fighting each other that I could go right past them.

Now obviously you want to kill as many Nazis as you can but it's really cool how many different legit ways there are to handle fighting in this game. It's not like Bioshock where there's very clearly optimal weapons and poo poo to use. It actually feels like everyone is going to have a different preferred playstyle.

edit: Oh yeah, I liked how the game kind of teases you with the little village twice when you're on the gondola thing. Cause both times I was like "I really wanna go over there!"

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 13, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well that sucks, my competed save got erased trying to start a new game on uber. Why didn't it default to a new save spot? Both these games have stupid problems with their saves.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bolow posted:

Hey, some SS troops were conscrips. Okay, only the Baltic Waffen-SS, who probably wouldn't be used as guards in the core sites of Nazi research, given that they weren't German. A more fruitful way to approach the subject of sympathy for the Nazi soldiers would probably be the fact that TOB takes place 13 years into the Nazi reign, meaning the rank and file would have been indoctrinated since childhood. Though this would of course mean admitting that Nazism is a bad ideology, so I guess it's right out. Plus of course there's the fact that this is a pulp story, so who gives a poo poo?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Wow, the Panzerhund fight on the bridge in The Old Blood was pretty bullshit. If you exhaust your grenade launcher ammo during the previous fight and don't immediately kill it with the dropped HMG, the only way to beat it seems to be turning on god mode since the HMG and grenade ammo mysteriously vanish when reloading. You can't even hide in the little huts on either side because the dumb thing's attacks go straight through the goddamn wall. What a pain in the rear end.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 13, 2015

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I didn't even expect it to show up and mowed it down with dual shockhammers before I could even process what the gently caress was going on

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I didn't even notice it until it was attacking me because I was staring at the ground going "finally enough armour pieces around to overcharge to 200!" while frantically picking them up. :v:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
The Panzerhund fight on the bridge is, indeed, total horseshit. You think it's annoying now, try it in the challenge mode. Don't gently caress up or you have to start over!

Speaking of challenge mode, we should post scores for bragging rights.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Wow, the Panzerhund fight on the bridge in The Old Blood was pretty bullshit. If you exhaust your grenade launcher ammo during the previous fight and don't immediately kill it with the dropped HMG, the only way to beat it seems to be turning on god mode since the HMG and grenade ammo mysteriously vanish when reloading. You can't even hide in the little huts on either side because the dumb thing's attacks go straight through the goddamn wall. What a pain in the rear end.

I cheesed it on Uber with those side huts. The pathfinding is a little weird. If you go inside the hut, the panzerhund runs behind the trucks. If you then step out, it runs back to you. I did that over and over shooting it a little bit each time and I was finally able to kill it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Do the Wolf'92 collectibles or completion have any impact on anything outside, or is it all entirely self-contained?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

mobby_6kl posted:

Do the Wolf'92 collectibles or completion have any impact on anything outside, or is it all entirely self-contained?

If you collect all the old silver in the levels you'll unlock extra models/concept art from Wolf 3D.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Are the huge hulking fat guys (with the helmets?) present in Old Blood? Those bullet sponge enemies really made parts of TNO's latter half a total slog, I never really did find a consistent way to kill them without losing huge chunks of my health.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Narcissus1916 posted:

Are the huge hulking fat guys (with the helmets?) present in Old Blood? Those bullet sponge enemies really made parts of TNO's latter half a total slog, I never really did find a consistent way to kill them without losing huge chunks of my health.

Non-spoilery answer: Sort of.

Spoilery answer: Yes, but they have a weak point and if you hit it they are stunned which allows you to pry off their armour and create another weak spot which kills them quickly.

Also, they were easy once you got the Laserkraftwerk scope because then you could just one shot them.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So the Medal of Honor series prided itself on realism and accuracy, or at least the portrayal of such things. HOWEVER, there were two missions in the older WWII games that felt like scenarios right out of Wolfenstein.

In Medal of Honor: Underground (my favorite :allears:) has a mission called Wewelsburg: Dark Camelot, which involves infiltrating Himmler's headquarters at castle Wewelsburg. You even get there by cable car, steal the "Knife of Abraham" which was used in the Binding of Isaac, fight 12 elite SS knights in full plate armor, and discover Valhalla; a burial chamber for Hitler and the other high ranking members of the Reich.

In Medal of Honor Airborne, what is otherwise an unnoteworthy game ends with her airdropping into a flak tower, which Yahtzee accurately described as a "Nazi Doom Fortress." It feels like a monolithic structure right out of TNO, and even has heavy armored troops wielding MG42's. Weirdest thing is that Flak Towers were totally real and apparently a total bitch to tango with.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Do all the Nightmare levels in Old Blood have charactert art unlocks for collecting all the silver in them? I swear I've tracked down every bit of silver in one (looking up the map maker map file even) and no concept art unlocks when I finish.

[EDIT] Those assholes put in a NEW secret passage. Thats cheating. :argh:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 13, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

In Medal of Honor Airborne, what is otherwise an unnoteworthy game ends with her airdropping into a flak tower, which Yahtzee accurately described as a "Nazi Doom Fortress." It feels like a monolithic structure right out of TNO, and even has heavy armored troops wielding MG42's. Weirdest thing is that Flak Towers were totally real and apparently a total bitch to tango with.

I quite liked Airborne, probably my favourite in the 10th Anniversary pack. Also, from what I understand, the Flak Towers were such a bitch to deal with that the Soviets just didn't bother, maybe lobbed a few bombs at them and then walked around them. In fact, many of them are still around today because it would be such a massive pain to tear them down.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

catlord posted:

I quite liked Airborne, probably my favourite in the 10th Anniversary pack. Also, from what I understand, the Flak Towers were such a bitch to deal with that the Soviets just didn't bother, maybe lobbed a few bombs at them and then walked around them. In fact, many of them are still around today because it would be such a massive pain to tear them down.
I had a ton of fun with MoH Airborne (well, with all of the WWII-era MoH games to be honest). The whole "parachute in, land where you want (including on rooftops), tackle the objectives in any order" gameplay mechanic was really refreshing.

I also rented the movie 'Fury' from Redbox last night, I liked it a lot! It was tonally very similar to Saving Private Ryan, and the combat was crazy as gently caress. It really went a long way to emphasize how unpleasant war-time was all around, including the combat itself as well as the soldier cultures and behaviors it nurtured in people who were "in-country".

I also read a really interesting interpretation of the movie on IMDb, that 'Fury' is basically a retelling of Moby Dick.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

In the Nightmare of Chapter 7 I discovered that you can open the map to get a map of the current Nightmare that fills in as you run through it. I can't believe I missed that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ometeotl posted:

In the Nightmare of Chapter 7 I discovered that you can open the map to get a map of the current Nightmare that fills in as you run through it. I can't believe I missed that.

Oh, that would have been useful to know. Thanks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It doesn't include the secret areas though. :v:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Do all the Nightmare levels in Old Blood have charactert art unlocks for collecting all the silver in them? I swear I've tracked down every bit of silver in one (looking up the map maker map file even) and no concept art unlocks when I finish.

You're gonna strafe along the wall mashing your use key like god loving intended

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Having seen some of Danger 5 now, I kinda wish this game had "superior golden superweapons made of gold."

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wouldn't use the maps for the original Wolf 3D. There's a decent guide on steam with full screenshots of the new maps with all silver locations, which you can check in on the steam overlay. I had to resort to using it because finding all silvers in the prologue nightmare is a loving bitch. And actually it still didn't pop for me even after several tries where it seemed I'd collected everything. I slightly suspect that it's either bugged in some subtle way or you have to collect everything w/o dying (playing on uber, that last room with five(?) blue SS dudes killed me a few times).

Unrelated but drat getting golds in the challenge arenas can be rough. Seems you have to basically get anything other than a vanilla (non headshot or explosive) kill for almost every enemy - if you gently caress up and just get a normal kill for even two or three enemies your run is probably screwed. Too often I keep coming short by just a few hundred points or less. Don't mind too much, I love the challenge.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speedball posted:

Having seen some of Danger 5 now, I kinda wish this game had "superior golden superweapons made of gold."
It does. :ssh: If you find all gold collectables, you unlock golden pistols.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It doesn't include the secret areas though. :v:

No, but the secret areas don't violate physics, so it's easier to find out where they could be.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yeah they where very real and there was 3/4 of them build in Berlin, they acted as AAA batteries and air raid bunkers and they where largely uncrackable, Russian troops simply did go around and starve the towers out. one did not surrender for quite some time till Germany surrendered.

Knowing that, doing an airborne assault in Medal of Honor Airborne, would never have worked in real life, but was balls in deep awesome in game!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Turned out the reason I couldn't run Wolfenstein was 'cause I hadn't updated my video card drivers in a dog's age. :ughh:

Time to get psyched and kill nazis in a slightly more retro atmosphere. :getin:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Are there any hidden gems out there with a similar mood to the Wolf games? Someone recommended Ubersoldier II some time ago and it's pretty good, if janky as poo poo. I'm probably one of the 1 or 2 people in the cosmos who legitimately enjoys the first Mortyr game, although it's pretty much impossible to get it to run on modern computers. I'm just looking for that similar pulp WWII "Those wacky Nazis are up to no good again!" madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Are there any hidden gems out there with a similar mood to the Wolf games? Someone recommended Ubersoldier II some time ago and it's pretty good, if janky as poo poo. I'm probably one of the 1 or 2 people in the cosmos who legitimately enjoys the first Mortyr game, although it's pretty much impossible to get it to run on modern computers. I'm just looking for that similar pulp WWII "Those wacky Nazis are up to no good again!" madness.
There's a sequel to Mortyr that's much more playable. Also while not strictly Weird War II, the game Singularity is by Raven (the guys who did Wolf09) and it's a blast. It's basically Wolfenstein: 1950s Soviet Russia Edition.

Captain America: Super Soldier is a fun third-person beat-em-up that's sort of like a poor man's Arkham Asylum.

Turning Point: Fall of Liberty is sort of like a proto-Wolfenstein TNO, in that it's an alt-history FPS about the Nazis winning the war. It's got a lot of really interesting ideas and visuals in it, and it's clear that it was a project that the developers really did their homework and cared about what they were doing, it's just that they didn't have the raw talent to actually make a good game. The enemy AI is awful and the general gameplay is janky as poo poo, but it's got a great soundtrack by Michael Giacchino. It's way, way better than Mortyr, so if you enjoyed Mortyr I'd say give it a shot.

Beyond that I posted up a huge list of Weird War II stuff early in the thread.

• Locked thread