Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Enjoying cooking and rapidly executed detail-oriented labor therefore entering the culinary industry is like wishing Middle East could know unity in our time therefore smuggling yourself into Syria and joining ISIS.

Sure, you're gonna get a nonzero portion of what you like. You're also going to get a very very large portion of things that you won't like that are the opposite of what you want because of the culture you're entering into, and you won't be able to control that, and then you are going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
I have a meeting with my boss tomorrow, because I handed him my notice and he didn't accept it and he told me to think about it.

I'm one of those people who bottles poo poo up and I made myself so miserable that I sought out something I probably shouldn't take, in retrospect.

Also I had a lot of bad omens trying to get there too. Like every subway door closed in my face on my way, there was some hosed up construction on the g Train and it stopped every five hundred feet, it was maddening. By the time I finally got there (totally late) the wind had blown over their sign out front, and knocked over their flower pot, blocking the entrance.

It's been a really weird day.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
how good was the counter-offer?

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

JawKnee posted:

how good was the counter-offer?

Part of the offer was for some poo poo down the road , that I won't believe till I see, but that part was for like corporate exec chef of some new poo poo for like 100k++, but I realize now I'm in a really good bargaining spot, so hopefully I can get a sweet raise now. If not, I'm out, though.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Never accept a counteroffer.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Good food for thought. Though accepting a counter offer one time was the best things I ever did. Long story short, my chef was a bitch and I was in a similar situation, and our sous quit. The next morning instead of asking me(I was in line to be sous and worked my rear end of for her) she posted an add on poached. I was pissed and I found something with better pay like immediately and put in my two weeks. She freaked, we has a talk and I went from like 10.50 to my first sous job with salary, and we got along great after that and it was one of my favorite jobs I ever. I think we both cried on my last day, because I was moving to new york.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Why didn't she ask you to be the next sous?

That's hosed up and I would have left too.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

Enjoying cooking and rapidly executed detail-oriented labor therefore entering the culinary industry is like wishing Middle East could know unity in our time therefore smuggling yourself into Syria and joining ISIS.

Sure, you're gonna get a nonzero portion of what you like. You're also going to get a very very large portion of things that you won't like that are the opposite of what you want because of the culture you're entering into, and you won't be able to control that, and then you are going to die.

"No, listen dude, come in on Sunday, and we'll give you seventy-two virgin daiquiris!"

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
Don't let them sucker you back in. Always have a plan when you put in your notice. The spot I'm at now I know I'm pretty good at what I do, and the people I work for rely on me in a similar way to how I rely on them. When I put in my notice, I told them that it wasn't a concrete two weeks because I think that's just bullshit. I gotta find a decent job in two weeks and they gotta find a decent cook in two weeks? It's not always that simple. I'm not running out the door and they're not kicking me out the door. I'm gonna quick smoking weed for this poo poo. That's how serious I am about it. Just get the gently caress out, do food as a hobby from now on, and once I have my new job locked down I'll start toking again.

So they're looking for my replacement. The main reason I wanted to stop the whole loving industry was because my boss can be a dick, and I'm a grown rear end man and I'm sick and loving tired of people barely older than me talking to me like they're my loving babysitter or some poo poo. Since I put in my notice, all the sudden dude's not being a dick. I think he might have realized how much of a dick he was being, and hopefully he's not just making up for it but changing for the better. One thing's for sure: him being nicer to me isn't going to make me stay. I told them there's the possibility of me coming back because I loving love the spot and the people, but my notice is in dude. The Rubicon's been crossed, dude. They've got ads out, they're busy doing interviews, they're changing schedules, they're coming earlier, they're staying later. I'm not going to put the strain of finding new on them and then being like "LOL j/k!" If I was in their position and I told me that now I just wanted to stay, I would tell me to get the gently caress out right now. My sinister ruse is get a replacement to replace me, and then if I decide to come back I'll just replace one of our lovely prep cooks. When I got there the boss was like "okay so these two guys suck and you're gonna replace one of them." That's if I decide to go back, which I probably won't, but I might.

A candidate to replace me was supposed to show up yesterday, got in a car accident on the way and still hasn't been released from the hospital because she's a diabetic and something with blood sugar or whatever. I get in tonight, bossman's like, "Alright, got someone coming in at 6. Show him what's up, etc." I'm stoked. I'm so happy to meet this guy.....he didn't loving show up. I'm pretty sure someone's going to show up tomorrow. My goal is to make them better than I am at my job. I dunno how I'm gonna loving do it. :( Bossman said he didn't have his hopes up. It's okay. If I thought he was really a loving jerk deep down inside, I would have walked the gently caress out. I know he's not a jerk, though, so I'm going to stay until they don't need me anymore.

Alright I got my posting fix in, ttyl in like 4 or 5 months, thread. :D

Shut the gently caress up about the tips and FOH/BOH pay talk, please?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Simoom posted:

Hollandaise ain't hard at all and I hope you get it so that you can prove to yourself that it is not anything to be afraid of!

I didn't get hollandaise. After all the knife cut demos and herb identifications and poo poo like that we had to do the cooking demonstration by drawing playing cards with random dishes on them. In fact, we had 90 minutes and we had to draw 4 cards and make four dishes. My cards were so laughably easy I would have accused myself of cheating if it had been poker. I had to hard boil an egg, make mayonnaise, make a pilaf and saute a chicken breast lol. I'll practice hollandaise on my own time to make sure I get it right.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Okay let me just put this to rest in my situation since its me that pays servers 10 bucks an hour.

The place is very small. We don't really do table service. We have a person who takes orders and runs food. Drinks etc are self serve. There is only ever one server at a time. They open the restaurant, clean the floors and bathrooms and stock the drink area and bus the tables.

There is only one prep cook. Me. I prep everything in the morning and afternoon. I also am the cook during the day so I don't pay a cook for that. I have 1 cook at night and utilize the bartenders as servers since we switch to the bars aloha system. The cook at night works 4 hours more than the servers and is just responsible for cooking and closing the kitchen. We also hand wash the dishes and it's the cooks job.

I choose to pay my servers a good wage to keep them happy.

OK, now it makes a bit more sense - but I still have a couple questions.

A - when you say you switch to the bar's Aloha system I am assuming you are referring to the POS. Why aren't you using that during the day shift? Just curious.

B - In your case I'd say a straight service charge of 15% split equally would be fine, since there isn't table service. Especially if the cooks are willing to run plates to the dining room.

C - Good on you for wanting to keep people happy, that's rare.

Alobar posted:

I think if I had my own spot I'd have most people work several FOH shifts and several BOH a week so everyone understands both sides of the story.--but what the gently caress do I know?

The problem with this is that they are generally two very different skillsets. It's a rare bird that can both excel at and enjoy FOH/BOH in a restaurant, and isn't just using it to pay the bills before moving on to a different industry.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Shooting Blanks posted:

OK, now it makes a bit more sense - but I still have a couple questions.

A - when you say you switch to the bar's Aloha system I am assuming you are referring to the POS. Why aren't you using that during the day shift? Just curious.

B - In your case I'd say a straight service charge of 15% split equally would be fine, since there isn't table service. Especially if the cooks are willing to run plates to the dining room.

C - Good on you for wanting to keep people happy, that's rare.

The problem with this is that they are generally two very different skillsets. It's a rare bird that can both excel at and enjoy FOH/BOH in a restaurant, and isn't just using it to pay the bills before moving on to a different industry.

A - we are two separate companies in the same location. My employees cannot use the aloha system due to liquor license laws blah blah blah. We use square during the day. When the bartenders come in to open for happy hour after lunch ends they act as the servers and are not paid by me. They just take orders and deliver it when it is ready.

B - since the server only works during the day when I work I'm not taking her tips. She keeps them. The night cook works on an entirely different menu and without any servers paid by me. He should not receive the daytime girls tips for working a different shift without a server staffed by me.

C - thank you

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

gently caress that. A lot of the sentiment seems to be PAY SERVERS LESS AND COOKS MORE! You don't think servers earn their money? You think servers owe money to the cooks? Then why doesn't the cook tip out the dishwasher. Why doesn't the dishwasher tip out the service that comes in and cleans the floor mats? And why doesn't everyone in a three block radius tip out the guy who does the greasetrap?

Servers earn a slave wage because there is the reasonable expectation of tipping. This is just plain wrong. But it doesn't mean that servers owe the BOH poo poo, financially speaking. So when servers finally get a leg up at the expense of the management suddenly the cooks are whining that it's not fair? Why?

Instead of whining like entitled babies, maybe you organize?

I'm fully in support of paying servers not earning a slave wage, and equal tipout across the board, for employees (dishwasher is an employee most likely, service that cleans the floormats is an independent company with their own deal, that doesn't make any sense to bring into the tip equasion.)

I'm just saying, if you're paying servers and cooks equally, tipout should also be equal. if you buy in to the 'servers make slave wage' mentality, then you have some hosed up reason to justify giving them all the tips. but that probably isn't ethical or right. either way, BOH has a reason to feel out of joint, unless you organize and equalize.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

About my personal income? They all know what I take home. They know it's in the building phase since we are in our first year and I don't make poo poo and am blowing through my savings and relying on my wife to pay the mortgage to make this thing work. It's steadily building though and I hope in the next year I will be able to hire more people and make it easier on everyone.

:I this sounds like a business problem. you've posted posts in the past that made me think you were absolutely crushing it at a 5 star level place or something. I want all goons to succeed (and I'm sure you're doing everything you can to succeed) - but CRUSH IT SON! do your thing. be agile, change organizational poo poo if it needs changing.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

the great deceiver posted:

I didn't get hollandaise. After all the knife cut demos and herb identifications and poo poo like that we had to do the cooking demonstration by drawing playing cards with random dishes on them. In fact, we had 90 minutes and we had to draw 4 cards and make four dishes. My cards were so laughably easy I would have accused myself of cheating if it had been poker. I had to hard boil an egg, make mayonnaise, make a pilaf and saute a chicken breast lol. I'll practice hollandaise on my own time to make sure I get it right.

I had to do a mystery cooking demo in school too only instead of saying "do this with this" they gave us three mystery ingredients and told us to make one dish that used them all. I got fennel root for one of mine and I had no loving idea what to do with it. Ended up making some weird sauteed thing with fennel and shrimp over jasmine rice pilaf.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mindphlux posted:

:I this sounds like a business problem. you've posted posts in the past that made me think you were absolutely crushing it at a 5 star level place or something. I want all goons to succeed (and I'm sure you're doing everything you can to succeed) - but CRUSH IT SON! do your thing. be agile, change organizational poo poo if it needs changing.

Yeah we hit a hard time in January and are working our way out. I was making decent money in the beginning but the bar has slumped hard. They raised prices and made a lot of changes that has caused a lot of business loss on purpose. They are morphing into a different creature. When we started out we were doing a lot of higher end things but still accessible. As time has gone on we have carved away a lot of the food and brought in a lot more bar food. Still made from scratch etc but more bar oriented food.

It's been a perfect storm of poo poo recently. San Antonios festivals have been going full force, we had Fiesta and some other events. The weather has been poo poo for 2 weeks, the Spurs lost in the first round which is actually a huge hit for bars, the college students have been finishing the semester etc etc.

The lunch menu is very much new Texas cuisine. But since we just opened lunch we are working on building clientele and getting the word out we are open. Purchasing the lunch equipment set me back a few thousand and slumping bar attendance has cut into night profit. The equipment I bought includes glass tea urns, tea and coffee machines, plates and silverware, etc. everything adds up.

I am getting very good feedback on my lunch menu. We serve a few fun things I really like making.

Honey fried game hen with bourbon jalapeno creamed corn
Chicken fried surf and turf (a chicken fried flat iron with shrimp wrapped scallops) with a spicy polenta and sweet potato chips
Pork belly, salmon and wild boar dishes.

I originally tested a lot of other lunch dishes but this final menu really seems to hit a spark since it is unique in San Antonio. Most of it based on flavor profiles by Pyles, Fearing and Bonnell.

As it is the people that want me to leave there and open a full service restaurant have really gotten behind the lunch menu and want to start pushing to buy a location downtown and get this food out before someone else brings in this type of cuisine. We do not really have one since most of his food is up in the Dallas area and North Texas. We have about 100K between us to move up but we need another 30-50 to really get a nice place set up in a good location. This place has always been a stepping stone so it's doing its job. I have had a few of the more well placed San Antonio chefs come in to check it out and haven't heard a hint negative even when asking for a harsh critique. It makes me happy that fellow industry people are appreciating the food and concept. THEY EVEN LIKE THE HIBISCUS!

I make it sound like I don't make dick but it's not that bad. I'm carving a few grand a month out of the place for myself but it isn't anywhere near the 6 figures I made as an IT Director. And since I'm pumping everything I make at the restaurant back into it to make sure it expands I'm working my way through my savings.

Things could definitely easily be much better. But I'm not losing money and that's the most important thing to me. If I felt like working doubles 6 days a week I could easily pull 50-60k a year out of this thing but I really enjoy employing people and making sure everyone's life is as good as I can make it.

Edit: I also really like having 2-ish days off a week.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 14, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Every place goes through a hard time in January / February. That's just the business.

Yeah. Once you put in your notice it's done. No going back. At my place you are off the schedule the next week......

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Alobar posted:

I think if I had my own spot I'd have most people work several FOH shifts and several BOH a week so everyone understands both sides of the story.--but what the gently caress do I know?

This is a very good idea, I think it works even better when you do it infrequently. It lets both halves of the house know where their expertise may lie and appreciate each other's skills more. I've pulled garde manger duty a couple times, I know now just how much prep goes into a loving cobb salad and how much of a pain in the rear end it is to shuck 2 dozen oysters etc. Likewise our crew respects how intricate fine dining service gets with dozens of pieces of silverware, wine service and the ritual of the whole thing.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Honey fried game hen with bourbon jalapeno creamed corn
Chicken fried surf and turf (a chicken fried flat iron with shrimp wrapped scallops) with a spicy polenta and sweet potato chips
Pork belly, salmon and wild boar dishes.

I go to San Antonio a few times a year, mind if I hit you up and sit in at your place next time I pass through?

Also SA is a rough town for being an upscale bar/eatery. You got places like two steppes and what not to compete with.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Secret Spoon posted:

I go to San Antonio a few times a year, mind if I hit you up and sit in at your place next time I pass through?

Also SA is a rough town for being an upscale bar/eatery. You got places like two steppes and what not to compete with.

Yeah man, doors always open. Please stop by whenever.

And yeah the scene here is pretty explosive. We have a slew of nice bars, a few really good bar/eateries and everything else. I'm aiming for that upper midrange now.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
That food sounds delicious.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah man, doors always open. Please stop by whenever.

And yeah the scene here is pretty explosive. We have a slew of nice bars, a few really good bar/eateries and everything else. I'm aiming for that upper midrange now.

Sounds like you got the mind and ethic for it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Alobar posted:

Don't let them sucker you back in. Always have a plan when you put in your notice.

Or just quit at the height of the recession with no plan other then "gently caress this" and get hired right back as a freelancer making almost double. But maybe I just got lucky.

But really, any of you all who like fast paced, high pressure, team based work should look at the live event industry. The hours and conditions still suck but you can make a pretty decent income.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Just got canned after 2 years with no explanation and no talk. Asked for a reason and got 'it's just not working out' as if I'm a new hire that's been there all of 2 weeks.

Kicker is when I called later on in the day to ask about my ROE the owner that fired me told me not to be upset, that I was a good worker and wouldn't have any trouble finding another job.

Thanks buds, much respect.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What the gently caress.......

Do you have ANY reason at all what it might have been?!?

gently caress them anyways. You sound like a loyal worker.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JawKnee posted:

Just got canned after 2 years with no explanation and no talk. Asked for a reason and got 'it's just not working out' as if I'm a new hire that's been there all of 2 weeks.

Kicker is when I called later on in the day to ask about my ROE the owner that fired me told me not to be upset, that I was a good worker and wouldn't have any trouble finding another job.

Thanks buds, much respect.

If you're :canada: as your av twice suggests, you should be at least entitled to two weeks pay in lieu of notice, but that may depend on province. I don't know of anywhere or any industry in Canada where they can just say "you don't work here any more, see ya" without giving a reason after 30 days of employment.

The cash should take some sting off of it, anyway.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

CommonShore posted:

If you're :canada: as your av twice suggests, you should be at least entitled to two weeks pay in lieu of notice, but that may depend on province. I don't know of anywhere or any industry in Canada where they can just say "you don't work here any more, see ya" without giving a reason after 30 days of employment.

The cash should take some sting off of it, anyway.

Yeah I'm looking over the rules currently. It would help if they had given me any indication of why I've been let go. I've never been sat down, and never been written up for anything. Just loving mystifying frankly. I'll be talking to the owner again tomorrow to retrieve my ROE - and I'll be bringing up the 2 weeks compensation in lieu of notice then.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
That sucks JawKnee. :(

Do you know if Luca Sbisa might have befriended the owners...?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

doubtful, they don't watch hockey - and they probably would have told me if that were the case :v:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

A Man and his dog posted:

Yeah. Once you put in your notice it's done. No going back. At my place you are off the schedule the next week......

My current employer (both personal opinion and unofficial company policy) shares this sentiment, and for my part that just tells me not to bother giving notice if I find a better job.

Of course, the counter is that it had better actually be a better job.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

A Man and his dog posted:

Every place goes through a hard time in January / February. That's just the business.

Yeah but it didn't help having appendicitis and being kind of out of it for a week and a half towards the tail end of February.. I worked a few days after my surgery but I was moving pretty slow.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Today was fun. Had to fire sous, because he did a bunch of dumb poo poo, and was starting that whole boh/foh thing. Also the counter offer was great, so I decided to stay. At least I am getting payed better to deal with bullshit. Have a guy though.

Also had to email the other person and let them know I can't start. They were like "you have to call me!!!" And as much of a
Dickhead thing it is, I'm not. I spelled out everything in the email (offer i cant refuse, etc)and apologized profusely for wasting their time. I even suggested someone that may be able to help them in their situation. :-/

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hope you actually like working there because more money isn't gonna help if you don't.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Honestly I feel a lot better and I know I made the right choice. I was under a lot of stress and bottled all this poo poo up and never let anyone know, and I made a rash decision. I sat down with my boss and let him know everything that was going on and what needed to change, and I felt a weight lifted from my shoulders. Also, it was for a good amount of money. The counter offer came out way better than the other job.and I finally get insurance and poo poo now.

Now I have to get my dick out of the dirt and be in a more positive mood...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You know, if you did call them, they may have made you an even better counter-counteroffer. I'd recommend just giving them a ring...

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

cods posted:

LIC

I'm waiting for my boss to come over to bug me about some poo poo because we have like three parties today (and service lol), one of which I have to do (no chef at the pass nice), and throw my notice on his rear end.

Cool. Hunters Point/Vernon, Court Square or Queens Plaza?

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
The place I was going to go to was a tiny little stand alone in queens and I had to haggle real hard to get what I was going to get, not have a sous, two man line (and i was one of them)etc. My current place is a big company in the city with multiple operations and a lot more revenue coming in. Also more of a future here, where at the other it was pretty much a dead end. I just felt really desperate at the time.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Old boss agreed (after some hefty argument) to the two weeks compensation for firing me without just cause, and without written notice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JawKnee posted:

Old boss agreed (after some hefty argument) to the two weeks compensation for firing me without just cause, and without written notice.

well, silver lining at least. Enjoy a bit of a paid vacation while you find a new, better job!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Congrats mate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Well done sir. It helps to know the law.

• Locked thread