Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

dreffen posted:

Good to know!

Also I got to sit in NUX's Chevy.

It was a good night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
So jelly right now.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Neo Rasa posted:

I was going to say, his complaint about how NO ONE GIVES ORDERS TO MAX ? Uh, yeah except for the part where for 1/3 of the franchise he gets ordered around by Fifi the topless lord of leather.

I loved the AV Club quote on this:
"Indeed, other than his commanding officer in Mad Max, his captors in The Road Warrior, and Tina Turner in Beyond Thunderdome, Mad Max is simply always in charge of his own destiny as a pawn who’s manipulated by circumstance into various power struggles he wants no part of, and is almost never being told what to do more than once or twice per movie. And certainly never by a woman, except when they are women."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
like, of all the famous franchises in history to pick a fight with, MRA's pick it with the one with arguably the most strong female characters

loving idiots

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

99% fresh from 80 reviews. jesus christ saturday cannot come faster

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can't wait for the pissed off gender politics arguments about this movie. It wears its feminism on its sleeve, and that combined with ultra-intense vehicular kaboom action makes for a really cool combination.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

MacheteZombie posted:

I can't wait to hear what he's playing on that thing.

It's the source of the film's score for a period :)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

FishBulb posted:

It's the source of the film's score for a period :)

The film does crazy things with diegetic/non-diegetic sound - it's as if the score is half revving engines and metal going clunk, and half a blaring horn section.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The film does crazy things with diegetic/non-diegetic sound - it's as if the score is half revving engines and metal going clunk, and half a blaring horn section.

Yeah it's rad

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I can't wait for the pissed off gender politics arguments about this movie. It wears its feminism on its sleeve, and that combined with ultra-intense vehicular kaboom action makes for a really cool combination.

Yeah I was worried for some reason the feminists would get upset. Thank christ it's the other way around!

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Also I got to sit in NUX's Chevy.

It was a good night.

I'm jealous as heck.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

dreffen posted:

I'm jealous as heck.

I also got to look at Max's Ford, but unfortunately was not allowed inside it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This seems too good to be real. What's the catch? Fart jokes? Racism? Pointless animal cruelty? Bad child actors?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

sean10mm posted:

This seems too good to be real. What's the catch? Fart jokes? Racism? Pointless animal cruelty? Bad child actors?

People are probably going to say "what a lovely day" a bit too much

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Trying to think of something this film does badly is a stretch. At a push I'd say some of the combat is really carefully edited around the actual impact, so you feel that it's pulling its punches on the gore, but it's a minor thing and probably needed to avoid an NC-17.

edit: Also Immortan Joe, despite being largely silent (and when he speaks kinda incomprehensible), is weirdly complex and kinda sympathetic while also being a complete bastard. The whole character is really well done.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 14, 2015

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

sean10mm posted:

There's really bad day for night cinematography for a bit if you want to complain about something.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I'm a little bummed that Warner hasn't given my theater authorization to run a test screening--which is really just code for the staff getting to see it at midnight the night before opening--but we're already opening it a day earlier than all the other places in town so I'm not going to complain too hard.

Being awesome like we are, we're getting a few staff members to dress up all post-apocalyptic and I've volunteered a couple civil defense radiological meters so we can give people a scan along with tearing their ticket. Some local dude is going to bring his Mad Max-ish rat rod around to park in front of the place too. And any patron who shows up in a decent costume gets free popcorn. Should make for some good pictures at least!

I am hype. Officially hype. On a scale of Mad to Max I'm Mad to the Max.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
:gizz:

Keep it coming, fuckboys!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean I enjoyed the movie fine but I think I'm really gunna love the mra freak out even more.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Trying to think of something this film does badly is a stretch. At a push I'd say some of the combat is really carefully edited around the actual impact, so you feel that it's pulling its punches on the gore, but it's a minor thing and probably needed to avoid an NC-17.

edit: Also Immortan Joe, despite being largely silent (and when he speaks kinda incomprehensible), is weirdly complex and kinda sympathetic while also being a complete bastard. The whole character is really well done.

Minor spoilers

I've been driving my family crazy screaming "I had a baby brother! And he was perfect in every way!" like Rictus for the last 3 days. I can't think of the last time that a film had such a genuinely sad, sympathetic moment for a rather minor character who is still unquestionably evil.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

@pattonoswalt · 1h 1 hour ago
In 2 1/2 hours, I will be watching MAD MAX: FURY ROAD. In 4 1/2 hours, I will be dead. From over-cumming.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The sound, the soundtrack, and the way audio is used in this movie is loving amazing. It's not really worth describing in text, needs to be experienced.

But the way the action onscreen weaves in and out of the soundtrack is superbly done.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

God tomorrow night can't get here any sooner.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

MinibarMatchman posted:

Did you read his review? It was a like a kid writing a bullshit book report.

"I didn't like the part when they killed the mockingbird."

- David Edwards, Daily Mirror, Mrs. Boddington's Grade 5 class

TerminalSaint posted:

:gizz:

Keep it coming, fuckboys!

"Despite my crippling blackness, I can think thoughts. P.S. I am TOTES a black guy for realzies, my.... [checks notes] ...homies."

Try harder, fuckboys.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MinibarMatchman posted:

I just checked out the RottenTomatoes page myself. Jesus loving christ. :suspense:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

like, of all the famous franchises in history to pick a fight with, MRA's pick it with the one with arguably the most strong female characters

loving idiots

I've met George Miller's ex-wife, turns out she's an old friend of my mum's. She is goddamn terrifying. I can't imagine someone marrying her then writing a meek wai-fu character.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The funniest thing about MRAs is that their work has given rise to the "fake geek guy." Despite being at nerdy stuff with tons of men and women all the time I've yet to meet the mythical "fake geek girl" they talk about so much, but thanks to MRAs fake geek guys are everywhere now.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

The funniest thing about MRAs is that their work has given rise to the "fake geek guy." Despite being at nerdy stuff with tons of men and women all the time I've yet to meet the mythical "fake geek girl" they talk about so much, but thanks to MRAs fake geek guys are everywhere now.

Can you elaborate? Because this is mystifying and fascinating sounding

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Snowman_McK posted:

One example:

Fake Geek Guy: "this movie is bullshit! My beloved Mad Max would NEVER take orders from a woman!"

Actual geek: "Uh, dude, have you even SEEN these movies?"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Okay, so for a long time there would be articles on the internet from the ur-MRAs about the "fake geek girl" and such. The concept was that women are, as a rule, never genuinely interested in MAN ONLY NERD ACTIVITIES like video games, comic books, etc. That somehow, the entire gender collectively just sort of pretends to be super passionate about video games, web design, comics, programming, movies, etc. ONLY A REAL MAN could REALLY UNDERSTAND these things. This is still a very common line of thought even today.

However, and it's anecdotal, but in my own travels through life I've never met one of these women who is like, just faking being super passionate about any of these things. Like people who aren't into a thing are just...not into a thing and say as much? This is how humans work most of the time.

2015: NOW:

This tone of this MRA article about Mad Max: Fury Road is something I've seen in person all of the time. In an enthusiasm to prove expertise in all things, they accidentally conflate "their" vision of how something is with how something is. So the same way you have an article like this where the person clearly never even watched any of the movies, you have dudes with minimal knowledge of a thing just sort of assuming that their take on it is the take.

Annoying know it alls with no grasp of reality beyond their own vision of how things ought to be have of course existed since the dawn of time, obviously that's not new. But I feel like I've been encountering this more and more where the disparity between the guy's take and the text of the media is so at odds that I have to question if they read or watched it. They're faking it to appear cool.

And again, I never hold it against someone if they're not into the same stuff as me or anything like that, just if someone's going to talk the talk...

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 14, 2015

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I'm seeing this tomorrow and cannot wait. Since I'm stuck on a tropical atoll in the middle of nowhere we have exactly one semi-outdoor theatre (fortunately with pretty good sound, unless it pours rain and drowns out the audio). Good news is they're playing two showings Friday, one Saturday and one Sunday and it's all free.

Funny thing I never noticed since I've been rewatching the original trilogy to prepare for this one. At the finale of Mad Max, Max finds Johnny looting the boots off of a dead man he found in a crashed truck. Mad Max 2 opens up with Max finding a crashed vehicle and looting the corpse of the driver. He even salvages the gasoline leaking from the tank in a similar manner to the way he rigged up a delay fuse in the original.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

He's a maggot living off the corpse of the old world.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ah, gotcha. It's the pretend "true fan" thing.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just got my tickets for the release showing tomorrow. In a theater that fits 200+, only like ten seats were taken :smith:.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

drunkill posted:

Photos from the display in Sydney today for the premier. I found this posted on reddit: http://imgur.com/gallery/SrCm3

Also apparently they closed down the cahill expressway for a few hours to film a commercial for the movie, I guess it'll be on screens next week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sfHWSjq6-Q
I do contract work for the Roads mobs down here, reading my emails that morning I thought three hours was excessive but they were being given a very generous time window.

Had no idea they where shooting an ad. Kewl.

... Didn't get to flog off work and see the cars sadly :sigh:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just got home from my screening of this. It was inarguably one of the most purely enjoyable movie experiences I've ever had.

Jynetik
May 1, 2015

Blast Fantasto posted:

I just got home from my screening of this. It was inarguably one of the most purely enjoyable movie experiences I've ever had.

In retrospect how much do the trailers really show? Was there anything in particular that grabbed you or was it just 'on the whole' superb? How was the score?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Local theatre is doing an early showing. Means I can catch Mad Max before going away for the weekend. Just bought tickets. Seeing it tomorrow :getin:

BigDanRTW
Aug 24, 2003
Never seen the originals. Went to a free screening of this tonight. It was loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Relentless, awesome, and the trailers really spoil very little. Most of the big stunts in the trailers are from the first (of many) chases.

Also, almost everyone still has Australian accents - except Charlize Theron and whatever Tom Hardy was going for.

• Locked thread