Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

messagemode1 posted:

Well he answered the wrong question. He thought he was answering "would you have done the same thing as W with the same info" and not the actual question. His answer even implies he misunderstood it that way with the comment about how Hillary would've done the same with the intelligence at the time.

I'm glad he's getting flak from the right about a bad answer but it's not disastrous and I see it as mostly a non-event in the long run considering it's mostly a mistake.

I hope some PAC just runs a commercial of the question being asked and him answering it. Play the gently caress out of it around veterans day as well.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

John Kerry looks like Herman Munster.

As for Chris Christie's grocery bill, Is he buying food for just himself, or a family? I'm sure he's not trying to save money on chuck roast and select grade cuts, but groceries for a family can get expensive.

He's more like Lurch. Herman was far too animated of a character to be John Kerry. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A tooth fell out of Ben Carson's head today and he delivered his speech sans front tooth.

Is this the end for him? Can america trust a medicine man who does not know his own dentition?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Weltlich posted:

And for some actual content:

Is this a conservative hit piece? Sure is. Are stopped clocks still right twice a day?

With the vote to deny fast-track the TPP deal today, I think that Sanders is in a much better position to talk real policy on the campaign trail than Clinton is. There is no credible evidence that Clinton cares about anything other than aggregating power. Would she support legislation to support social equity? A lot of people think she will, but her history seems to indicate pretty clearly that she'll only do so if she thinks there is a political gain in it for herself. I'm not even sure if she'll nominate actual liberal judges to the supreme court instead of milquetoast centrists that will occasionally throw a bone to minorities while cheerfully ruling in favor of corporate interests 90% of the time.

Why the gently caress would she say anything before she has to. To be honest I'm amazed the republicans candidates are answering questions as well since they're all so bad at it but they at least they have the excuse of needing to clobber at least 20 other morons to win.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Weltlich posted:

My point is not that Hillary is more or less conservative than anyone - but rather she is possibly the most self serving candidate running, and certainly the most self serving democrat running.

Her track record is pretty clear - she doesn't accept that rules apply to her, and she does whatever benefits herself above all else. The Republicans are idiots to be sure for making noise about Benghazi, but there is real harm in the fact that while Sec. of State, she blatantly disregarded IT policy and used a private email system. She's accessed the FBI files of her political rivals on the sly. When she left the white house as First Lady, she had government owned furniture moved to her personal home in NY, just because she liked it. And most folks by now have forgotten about White Water.

She's pretty clearly shown that Hillary does what's best for Hillary. If she can make political hay from time to time by supporting some social cause, then that's a bonus, but at the end of the day Hillary always gets hers.

Allow me to flip the question: for what reason do you put faith in her to do anything beneficial? What are her past actions that make you say "This is someone I can trust!"

I guarantee you, now and to the end of time, no one will ever give a poo poo about this, or furniture, or even, jesus, Whitewater.

She's put out a list of policies that are well within the Democratic circles she runs in that are beneficial to a lot of people that need it, versus unleashing the Republican Kraken that would happen with a Cruz, Rubio, Jeb presidency.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

QuoProQuid posted:

So does this count at his official announcement or do we have to wait for him to announce a specific day when he'll announce whether or not he's announcing a run for president?

I just need to know how many pre-announcements to expect before he actually enters the race.

Evidently he took it back a second later.

shadow puppet of a posted:

A tooth fell out of Ben Carson's head today and he delivered his speech sans front tooth.

Is this the end for him? Can america trust a medicine man who does not know his own dentition?

Did this seriously happen?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
When did she access the FBI files of her political rivals? That one's new to me. Am I missing something for buzzword bingo this week?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When did she access the FBI files of her political rivals? That one's new to me. Am I missing something for buzzword bingo this week?

I guess we are talking about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_FBI_files_controversy

quote:

The matter was investigated by the House Government Reform and Oversight Committee, the Senate Judiciary Committee, and the Whitewater Independent Counsel. In 1998, Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr exonerated President Bill Clinton and First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton of any involvement in the matter. In 2000 Independent Counsel Robert Ray issued his final report on Filegate, stating that there was no credible evidence of any criminal activity by any individual in the matter and no credible evidence that senior White House figures or the First Lady had requested the files or had acted improperly or testified improperly regarding Livingstone's hiring. A separate lawsuit on the matter brought by Judicial Watch, a conservative watchdog group, lingered on for years and was dismissed by a federal judge in 2010.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

ufarn posted:

What the gently caress is up with Rubio's Twitter speech?

Yeah, what I posted is just one tweet in a 57 tweet rambling speech, very strange.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

site posted:

Did this seriously happen?

he was eating and it fell out but there were speeches to give and the linearity of time makes fools of us all

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Weltlich posted:

Is this a conservative hit piece? Sure is. Are stopped clocks still right twice a day?

With the vote to deny fast-track the TPP deal today, I think that Sanders is in a much better position to talk real policy on the campaign trail than Clinton is. There is no credible evidence that Clinton cares about anything other than aggregating power. Would she support legislation to support social equity? A lot of people think she will, but her history seems to indicate pretty clearly that she'll only do so if she thinks there is a political gain in it for herself. I'm not even sure if she'll nominate actual liberal judges to the supreme court instead of milquetoast centrists that will occasionally throw a bone to minorities while cheerfully ruling in favor of corporate interests 90% of the time.
"You know, this guy who is incredibly obviously trying to manipulate us is right."

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Was he eating a Bluth candy apple?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNgftTeHRz4

But really, that doesn't look like he just lost a tooth, it looks like he got clocked in the face

Weltlich posted:

Her track record is pretty clear - she doesn't accept that rules apply to her, and she does whatever benefits herself above all else. The Republicans are idiots to be sure for making noise about Benghazi, but there is real harm in the fact that while Sec. of State, she blatantly disregarded IT policy and used a private email system. She's accessed the FBI files of her political rivals on the sly. When she left the white house as First Lady, she had government owned furniture moved to her personal home in NY, just because she liked it. And most folks by now have forgotten about White Water.

Oh, okay, you're full of poo poo, got it

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 13, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

oddium posted:

he was eating and it fell out but there were speeches to give and the linearity of time makes fools of us all

This entire campaign is the product of a nightmare Ben Carson is having. His teeth falling out is only the beginning of a long and horrifying fever dream.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

This entire campaign is the product of a nightmare Ben Carson is having. His teeth falling out is only the beginning of a long and horrifying fever dream.

The hack politician version of giving your class presentation naked? I wonder what Cruz dreams about?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
John Bolton is a lunatic. I really hope he brings out the foreign policy fire and brimstone. I bet if he just went on TV and howled for the blood of the innocent (just like the good ol' days!) he could probably get his poll number up enough to see him in a debate. It looks like they're also going to be unable to lock Rand out, which is incredible. God, I can't believe that I'm looking forward to the Republican Primary debates.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I don't even understand why "Hillary is so self-serving!!!" is supposed to be a mark against her. She's a politician; they're self-serving basically by definition. Besides, what do people think is going to happen, that she's going to win the presidency by being "self-serving" and then say, "Welp, made it to the top, I'm out guys"?

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!
So the Pentagon responded to Ted Cruz's begging the question re: Federal takeover of Texas With FEMA death camps in Abandoned Walmarts.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7251254

Choice quote:

Perhaps, then, you would prefer not an official proclamation but a reasoned answer. As a master debater in college (Princeton, right?), you surely appreciate the reliability of logic, your public statements over the past few years notwithstanding. If you are disinclined to take the United States Armed Forces at their word when we promise no ill intentions towards Texas, then perhaps your considerable and vaunted intellectual powers, which once posited the regrowth of hymens as a guard against unauthorized incursions in domestic affairs, could be swayed by incontrovertible fact.

You can tell he had a lot of fun writing this.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ShutteredIn posted:

Yeah, what I posted is just one tweet in a 57 tweet rambling speech, very strange.

He gave a speech today then did a Q&A at the Council of Foreign Relations; Charlie Rose was the moderator.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Weltlich posted:

Allow me to flip the question: for what reason do you put faith in her to do anything beneficial?

1. Pushed for universal health care before almost any other serious national figure did, even if she failed at getting it at the time.
2. Numerous SecState successes, including the death of Bin Laden, pushing State to adopt a transnational multi-stakeholder model of their work, supporting engagement with Iran, and from the folks I know who worked with her she also was instrumental in supporting making State a more supportive and happier place to work.
3. Consistent lifetime support for women's empowerment in America and abroad.

I don't think she's going to be a transformative figure - she's pretty much a part of the current US system and not likely to do anything dramatic. But her entire career makes me comfortable thinking she's going to incrementally advance a foreign and domestic agenda that will make the US better.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Prosopagnosiac posted:

So the Pentagon responded to Ted Cruz's begging the question re: Federal takeover of Texas With FEMA death camps in Abandoned Walmarts.

Choice quote:

Perhaps, then, you would prefer not an official proclamation but a reasoned answer. As a master debater in college (Princeton, right?), you surely appreciate the reliability of logic, your public statements over the past few years notwithstanding. If you are disinclined to take the United States Armed Forces at their word when we promise no ill intentions towards Texas, then perhaps your considerable and vaunted intellectual powers, which once posited the regrowth of hymens as a guard against unauthorized incursions in domestic affairs, could be swayed by incontrovertible fact.

quote:

In fact, millions of your schoolchildren pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America almost every day. And unlike yourself, they apparently mean it.

Ouch. Definitely proclick

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Choice quote:

quote:

As someone who was not born within the borders of this country, it might interest you to know that Texas is already part of the United States. In fact, Texas has twice joined the Union.

Seriously, the whole thing is bitchslap.txt

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Holy loving poo poo that was the best thing I've ever read :pusheen:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Choice quote:

:vince:

I think my favorite part is the constant reminder that Ted Cruz is a Canadian born transplant.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Choice quote:

Jesus Christ. :chanpop:

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
G-go..army?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Choice quote:

This is a masterpiece in every possible way.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
You guys do all realise that's a satire piece, right?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Gonna guess the Secretary of Defense didn't actually send an open letter like this to a sitting US Senator, and instead this is a really obvious Huffpost bad satire piece.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Judging by the "Satire" tag below the article, I very much doubt it actually came from the Pentagon.

Great read, either way.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:negative: I've been Onioned.

Still, good laugh.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Choice quote:

that's satire mate. Well, "satire". Real satire is The Onion or Colbert, this "satire" from Jason Stafford or the National Report or the World News Daily Report or Andy Borrowitz is just straight up fake news bullshit without any attempt to frame or criticize the subject.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Choice quote:

Holy crap, that was one of the best reads I've had in a while.

edit: Ahhh, satire. Still fun to read

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Fried Chicken posted:

that's satire mate. Well, "satire". Real satire is The Onion or Colbert, this "satire" from Jason Stafford or the National Report or the World News Daily Report or Andy Borrowitz is just straight up fake news bullshit without any attempt to frame or criticize the subject.

drat. Wishful thinking on my part. Still a good read.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FlamingLiberal posted:

Was he skipping history class when they got to the part about Manifest Destiny?

I'm sure Mexico, Spain, and Hawaii would all agree that our interests in their land was 100% about freedom, not owning more territory.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gyges posted:

I'm sure Mexico, Spain, and Hawaii would all agree that our interests in their land was 100% about freedom, not owning more territory.

Clearly, I mean we fought to free those lands from their tyranny. If it was just about expanding, we would have done something like purchase Louisiana.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Warmachine posted:

The hack politician version of giving your class presentation naked? I wonder what Cruz dreams about?

The rise of the ancient gods that slumber beneath Canada, and their reclamation of their rightful dominion over the Earth.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Anyone who read even one line of that and didn't realize it was a satire piece should probably take a break from the thread for a while. The utter insanity the GOP is laying down has made you think everyone else is equally insane, and that's no healthy way to live :ohdear:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
We can't stop!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ShutteredIn posted:

That's... an interesting way to look at American history I suppose.

You better stop picking on him, or he'll school you next.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/13/rubio-shows-jeb-how-foreign-policy-is-done.html

quote:

Marco Rubio proved he can hang with the big hawks in his first foreign policy speech since he declared his run for president.
The student has now become the teacher.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Man, Jeb's running his campaign like a clown show. I think Hillary can beat Jeb easily in the general, but I think Rubio could beat her if he can get the nomination. Jeb has the personality of a wet shoe, but Rubio is actually a pretty decent speaker. I think he sounds somewhat insincere, but he doesn't give off the used-car-salesman vibe that Cruz gives off in spades. He also has an interesting personal story, and he seems like he's willing to at least say he's gonna do something on immigration reform. He also seems like he's savvy enough to not get mired too much in the culture war.

I really thought Jeb would be campaigning better than this. There was only like a handful of weeks where "I'm not my brother!" was credible, but then after his adviser info, his family raising money for him as surrogates, and his Iraq war comments he's just playing right into it.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ErIog posted:

Man, Jeb's running his campaign like a clown show. I think Hillary can beat Jeb easily in the general, but I think Rubio could beat her if he can get the nomination. Jeb has the personality of a wet shoe, but Rubio is actually a pretty decent speaker. I think he sounds somewhat insincere, but he doesn't give off the used-car-salesman vibe that Cruz gives off in spades. He also has an interesting personal story, and he seems like he's willing to at least say he's gonna do something on immigration reform. He also seems like he's savvy enough to not get mired too much in the culture war.

I really thought Jeb would be campaigning better than this. There was only like a handful of weeks where "I'm not my brother!" was credible, but then after his adviser info, his family raising money for him as surrogates, and his Iraq war comments he's just playing right into it.

On the other hand 71% of the Earth is against Rubio. Taunting him from off camera.

• Locked thread