Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Nah, we've been doing alcohol related incidents for about 20 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Slate Action posted:

2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 is gonna be the year Miami is back, I can feel it!

look, 2035 will be our year. circle it.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

KKKLIP ART posted:

Really trying to up that SEC cred.

They'll continue to transform into the SEC by losing embarrassingly to Ohio State.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
Wheez I wish I could tell you to root for the Northwestern Wildcats, but that would just lead to more sadness.

Our running backs are looking pretty good. We'll probably play the wrong quarterback because of "seniority". Our defense will be ok. Finally, we don't even get to embarrass ND this year so really there is very little upside.

Counterpoint: Hat. Also, you get even more reason to make fun of Tim Beckman forever.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

They'll continue to transform into the SEC by losing embarrassingly to Ohio State.

:laffo:

So, considering their vacancy of that bowl win against Arky, aren't they 1-9 against the SEC now after beating Bama last year?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Kent State:

Players named Raekwon and Najee. Cheap beer sold at the stadium. A lot of dope NFL players. Cheap beer sold at the stadium. A rad coaching staff that has a lot of good minority dudes. Cheap beer sold at the stadium. Great uniforms. Good schedule. Cheap tickets. Attractive employees. Cheap beer sold at the stadium. Disappointing few seasons means you can get in on the ground floor before Flashamania runs wild over the continent. Also, we have cheap beer at the stadium.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

So, considering their vacancy of that bowl win against Arky, aren't they 1-9 against the SEC now after beating Bama last year?

I was rooting hard for the fighting Sabans but yeah losing to Ohio State on their 3rd QB after having a season loss to Virginia Tech in the first ever college football playoffs is about as embarrassing as can be

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

That's not only the game, that's the exact play when Miami crumbled. When that play happened you just knew it was VT's night(that would have tied the game) and VT went on to rout them 31-7. Miami had a 38 game regular season winning streak and had won 46 of 48 games dating back to late 1999 before that night in Blacksburg.

Miami's never been the same since that game. 2003 was an abortion of a season for VT but that one game was magical.

I don't know, I think the real crushing blow was in November 2005, right after Miami beat Virginia Tech in Blacksburg so thoroughly (that game ended the ESPN love affair with us forever), Miami then went and lost to GT by like 2 scores. I think that same weekend was when Florida State lost to UVA (which seemed to be the loss that destroyed them for like 6 years), but I might be wrong. Miami lost that GT game, and went on to get nearly shut out in the Peach Bowl by LSU, and they have been lost in the wilderness ever since.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I was rooting hard for the fighting Sabans but yeah losing to Ohio State on their 3rd QB after having a season loss to Virginia Tech in the first ever college football playoffs is about as embarrassing as can be

To be fair OSU has been crushed repeatedly in embarrassing fashion. They didn't reverse that trend with one victory--particularly when they potentially have 1 of the 5 greatest coaches in the history of CFB on the sideline.

We need a few more of those to reverse that history. Preferably against Bama.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

single-mode fiber posted:

I don't know, I think the real crushing blow was in November 2005, right after Miami beat Virginia Tech in Blacksburg so thoroughly (that game ended the ESPN love affair with us forever), Miami then went and lost to GT by like 2 scores. I think that same weekend was when Florida State lost to UVA (which seemed to be the loss that destroyed them for like 6 years), but I might be wrong. Miami lost that GT game, and went on to get nearly shut out in the Peach Bowl by LSU, and they have been lost in the wilderness ever since.

there have been multiple games that I would have considered rock bottom, but here we are today: digging a hole to China with no end in sight.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dilber posted:

there have been multiple games that I would have considered rock bottom, but here we are today: digging a hole to China with no end in sight.

I can't even process the modern reality of Miami.

Your fanbase generally blows and is full of gold-chained guido dickwads...

But if you had a coach that was even moderately competent, you're automatically a top-15 team.

This goes against my best interests as a UF fan, but watching Ed Orgeron built a giant wall around SoFla out of empty Tony Chachere's containers would be the most interesting thing in Coral Gables in the past decade.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Darius Millines, former Illinois wideout, says Tim Beckman made him use a team bathroom as a locker room as punishment after Millines sought to leave campus briefly to visit his cancer-riddled dad.

Illinois has also reversed course and will now have an independent investigation of Tim Beckman. Mike Thomas needs to be fired for standing by this bumblefuck.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I got two texts about the DFO DUI today. One is just a regular Michigan alum that went something like

"I'll wait until the blood tests come back. Somebody in the military so long wouldn't just do that"

And the other from a Michigan alum who was also in the marines

"Yeah, that sounds about right"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

Geez, is Bama that desperate?

Like literally the only thing on their current projected starter's resume is that he once lost his job to a Heisman winner so yeah probably.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Also snagging a top free agent undecided student-athlete so that other schools don't get him isn't exactly a terrible idea either.

Alabama brings in two dozen highly rated recruits every year, but it's not like they wouldn't take another dozen if they could or were allowed to.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

I mean for the purposes of this throwing the Arkansas game out is kind of silly since it's not like free tattoos are performance enhancing.

Actually really counting any of those losses agains the current program is pretty weird given that the current OSU coach was on the other end of one of them.

VDay posted:

Also snagging a top free agent undecided student-athlete so that other schools don't get him isn't exactly a terrible idea either.

I really do not think they need to worry about Golson coming back to haunt them. They did pretty okay against him the last time they played.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Nick Saban learned his lesson and no longer trusts white people to play quarterback

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Everyone root for Illinois State, they've got a good-rear end running back and Indiana Hoosiers refugee QB Tre Roberson

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

siriuslysomething posted:

Wheez I wish I could tell you to root for the Northwestern Wildcats, but that would just lead to more sadness.

Who's the poster who's a dual Northwestern/Purdue fan? I feel bad for that guy every year.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Justin Zemser, a Navy WR, was among those who died in the Philadelphia Amtrak accident last night.

http://news.yahoo.com/passengers-still-missing-after-amtrak-train-derailment-in-philadelphia-153358441.html

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Actually really counting any of those losses agains the current program is pretty weird given that the current OSU coach was on the other end of one of them.

It's equally silly to treat one big win as a trend.

If you consider the program as a whole, the SEC has crushed them. As a coaching regime? Too little data.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Probably Magic posted:

wheez.

wheez.

wheez.

I thought we were cool.

sorry but literally nothing will ever make me root for kansas. gently caress your basketball team forever. i will concede however that i obviously root for your football team whenever you're causing an upset (which is basically every win you manage). and i guess i root for your BB if it's vs duke or ND or any of the other double hitlers to your half-mussolini

Spacebump posted:

Current coach Curtis Johnson made a bowl 2 seasons ago. This was with a team that basically had no quarterback. This is his 4th year at Tulane, before he arrived the previous coach didn't recruit out of Louisiana.

whoa whoa whoa slow down i've got to hear the story behind this lmao

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'd pick Houston because 1. Tom Herman seems to believe in the essence of Houston football (more points for the points god), 2. Coog/Coug synergy, and 3. it's a loving awesome school.

"coog" makes me irrationally angry like an itch that just won't go away, but if i can move past that then yeah UH is a possibility. the similar colors help too, but otoh everything about them seems plainfully (e: i'll keep that typo) bland to me. note: i don't know anything about them beyond seeing maybe a handful of their games last season and not remembering poo poo

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 14, 2015

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

It's equally silly to treat one big win as a trend.

If you consider the program as a whole, the SEC has crushed them. As a coaching regime? Too little data.

It was much more a joke of making fun of Michigan than the SEC if that makes you feel better

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
the crazy thing is Michigan Men probably look on the past with more rosy colored glasses than even the people that want Colonel Reb back

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Purdue's strength coach died today at 33. The article just says he was suffering an illness.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

wheez the roux posted:

"coog" makes me irrationally angry like an itch that just won't go away, but if i can move past that then yeah UH is a possibility. the similar colors help too, but otoh everything about them seems plainfully (e: i'll keep that typo) bland to me. note: i don't know anything about them beyond seeing maybe a handful of their games last season and not remembering poo poo
They were not very good last season, which is why Tony Levine was sent out on his rear end and Tom Herman arrived to spread the gospel of touchdowns. I was there for the rise of Case Keenum to his rightful spot on the throne of passing, actually, and it owned really hard. We hit on hard times recently, after Sumlin left and they went cheap, but a new stadium and new coach and it's happy times in H-Town.

The history of Houston football is basically touchdowns for days. The height of Coog power was when Andre Ware and David Klingler passed for a billion yards a game in the run and shoot, but an older coach Bill Yeoman invented the veer option. In the last decade notable coaches have included Art Briles and Kevin Sumlin. And if that's not enough, Wade Phillips is (was, actually, but that record just fell recently) the career leader in tackles!

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 14, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It was much more a joke of making fun of Michigan than the SEC if that makes you feel better

:whoosh:

But Michigan has a pretty decent record against the SEC. :qq:

I'm stupid. I'll stop.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Grittybeard posted:

Who's the poster who's a dual Northwestern/Purdue fan? I feel bad for that guy every year.

Purdue is going to have a drat good basketball team next year, so there's that...

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

:whoosh:

But Michigan has a pretty decent record against the SEC. :qq:

I'm stupid. I'll stop.

so does Ohio State now. Thanks Missouri and Texas A&M.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I got two texts about the DFO DUI today. One is just a regular Michigan alum that went something like

"I'll wait until the blood tests come back. Somebody in the military so long wouldn't just do that"

And the other from a Michigan alum who was also in the marines

"Yeah, that sounds about right"

hahaha

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DUIs are a Midwestern tradition

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That and exceptionally forgiving DUI laws.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
who are the teams that people without a team should be watching this year?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Just watch the entire Pac-12 South.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

LeeMajors posted:

The best one was in 03 or 04 where they faked the FG and had Everett wide open inside the 10. He dropped the easy TD pass and just laid on the ground forever.

Also the source of one of my favorite sports photos of all time:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

VDay posted:

Just watch the entire Pac-12 South.

This.

Also some teams that're kinda interesting outside of regular rooting stuff: Michigan, Georgia Tech, Central Florida, Regular Florida, Arkansas, probably Oregon so you can compare how they play to how your Titans use Mariota

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Frinkahedron posted:

Also the source of one of my favorite sports photos of all time:

Man, I couldn't find it and didn't want to post a macro. That guy in the back is my hero.

gently caress Miami. Mostly for that 03 Brock Berlin game. :smith:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Anyone looking for a down school to root for should hop on the KU bandwagon. It's disappointment, but it's also a 110% known quantity so it can never actually get worse and it might just get better.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
The correct answer is every MAC team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Metapod posted:

who are the teams that people without a team should be watching this year?

if you want this thread to be entertaining, root for mizzou to get stomped by georgia and then win the sec east when georgia chokes against kentucky or something

• Locked thread