Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Michaellaneous posted:

^
Only issue I have are long match-loading times.

Okay, may I present you: My issue with fighters on the Indepenence.

Okay, looks decent. It's the upgraded version.

Now, if we look at tier up:

Hm....Hmmmmmmmmm...

What that means is that you are basically hosed, even if you have two squads, you won't be able to take out a single enemy fighter squadron.

RIP
I can't believe they actually made fighting up-tier in a CV worse. They removed the Buffalo at tier 6 which had way more DPS than the current T6 fighter, and then they buffed the poo poo out of the T8 fighter which used to have the same DPS as the T7 fighter, but now has ~+50% more DPS.

Also RIP infinite premium time. :( I was coasting on my premium from my pre-order bundle which didn't expire even after the month was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I can't get any citadel hits on a South Carolina with my Kawachi, and half my shots seem to be bouncing, because that's a ship that needed to be worse

I've just switched to using HE. Setting triple fires and watching someone burn to death is nice. The dog comic was in reference to what BBs can do with Pyromania and HE loaded. You have a 20%+ chance of setting someone on fire with pyromania, per shell (without pyromania it is still 15%). if you get a good solid broadside that can be 3 or more fires, which will cripple an enemy ship, especially if the opponent ignores the fires. If he burns his repair to put out the fires, you do it again 30s later and watch him panic as he cant do anything to save his ship.

AP is good for the 10k damage money shot, but if you only get 1 money shot in a volley of 12 shells and the other 11 bounce, HE would have been better.

TL;DR fire is loving OP now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

orange juche posted:

AP is good for the 10k damage money shot, but if you only get 1 money shot in a volley of 12 shells and the other 11 bounce, HE would have been better.

I've only played two games in the South Carolina, and I'm pretty sure I've been set on fire about eleventy-billion times in those two games. Everything is slinging HE now (at least at the low tiers), and the worlds on fire.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Locator posted:

I've only played two games in the South Carolina, and I'm pretty sure I've been set on fire about eleventy-billion times in those two games. Everything is slinging HE now (at least at the low tiers), and the worlds on fire.

In one of my matches in the Wisconsin I got 32 hits with 7 fires set, they curved the base damage of HE up, increased its critical penetration chance, and boosted the damage of fires set by HE. HE is actually worth a poo poo now, especially with the AP penetration/damage changes.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I just looked at the plane loadouts on the Ranger now and :negative:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Cruisers with a lot of guns that can make it rain will set fire to anything instantly as soon as they get in range. It's lovely.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Umm, you can now cause flooding with AP hits. That's loving nuts.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Umm, you can now cause flooding with AP hits. That's loving nuts.

Yeah but you have to do a plunging hit through the belt at the waterline, that's like trying to split a piece of paper edge-on with a bullet. I'll stick to lighting bads on fire.

Unless they introduced that for overpenetration, in which case lol.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Michaellaneous posted:

Cruisers with a lot of guns that can make it rain will set fire to anything instantly as soon as they get in range. It's lovely.

So I am going to go ahead and guess the Cleveland is still the king of ships.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hagop posted:

You imply it will ever not be the king of ships.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Hagop posted:

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Tindahbawx posted:

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-0305-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview-v015-07052015/

Install the Overhead View mod, and you can have it in other ships too. Its ridiculously OP when you're in a BB.

Is Aslain's mod working on 0.3.1? I just tried installing and I'm getting a black screen, but I have an unusual setup.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hagop posted:

Confirmed.

First try, single point commander (I stole the good one when I moved on from the Cleveland). I was going to play the Atlanta, but nobody was in queue for that tier.

Each fire did an average of almost 1500 damage, and a couple guys died right after I lit them up, or repaired immediately (on the first fire).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Haha on the default Wyoming hull the #4 turret has a poo poo ton of dead-zones because of the life-rafts blocking its shots. :v: Gets fixed thankfully once you get the upgrade.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

orange juche posted:

I've just switched to using HE. Setting triple fires and watching someone burn to death is nice. The dog comic was in reference to what BBs can do with Pyromania and HE loaded. You have a 20%+ chance of setting someone on fire with pyromania, per shell (without pyromania it is still 15%). if you get a good solid broadside that can be 3 or more fires, which will cripple an enemy ship, especially if the opponent ignores the fires. If he burns his repair to put out the fires, you do it again 30s later and watch him panic as he cant do anything to save his ship.

In a pre release version the chance was even higher than it is now. Even in the current state it's kinda hard to make a point for AP anymore.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Is Aslain's mod working on 0.3.1? I just tried installing and I'm getting a black screen, but I have an unusual setup.

No idea, I'm EU and still waiting on the patch.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
:siren: REMINDER :siren:

Patch 0.3.1 breaks all current mods intentionally in order to try and remove the aim assist mod. The usual symptom of this is a black screen when the game loads, prior to the login screen appearing. Currently the only option is to delete all mods.

If you break your install somehow & don't want to re-download ~5.5 gigs, the following might help:

1. Force a client verify: change the shortcut to the WoWs launcher to the following:
code:
D:\World_of_Warships\WOWsLauncher.exe -integrity_default_client
If this fucks up and you get stuck with the launcher error-ing out, find WOWsLauncher.cfg and change
code:
<options>default;force_integrity_default_client</options>
to
code:
<options>default</options>
What's happening is the launcher is failing to get the file manifest it needs (host not found error, go fig) and its sticking in a loop because its not un-setting the "check client" option :v:

2. if you outright delete res_mods, you must edit paths.xml, otherwise the game will not load:

You want the contents of paths.xml to be :
code:
<root>
    <Paths>
        <Path>res</Path>
    </Paths>
</root>
If you still have a line that says
code:
<Path>res_mods/0.3.0</Path>
that is what is loving it up.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
eta until new aim mod?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Hammerstein posted:

In a pre release version the chance was even higher than it is now. Even in the current state it's kinda hard to make a point for AP anymore.
I've still been getting a lot of good AP salvoes out, though I've been going up US BBs so I haven't tried cruisers and such yet. But yeah I can definitely see using HE as your default now since even though I'm still mostly firing AP there have been times where I've needed to switch due to the positioning and/or fighting a bigger and better ship than you.

Also I'm mad that dive bombers still suck rear end. Mad about internet vidja game planes in a boat game.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
There are already people with Montanas. That's a lot of free experience.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Insert name here posted:

I've still been getting a lot of good AP salvoes out, though I've been going up US BBs so I haven't tried cruisers and such yet. But yeah I can definitely see using HE as your default now since even though I'm still mostly firing AP there have been times where I've needed to switch due to the positioning and/or fighting a bigger and better ship than you.

Also I'm mad that dive bombers still suck rear end. Mad about internet vidja game planes in a boat game.

Count your hits vs the times you see numbers above the ship, the numbers are actual hits, everything else is a ricochet.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

grrarg posted:

There are already people with Montanas. That's a lot of free experience.

Good, they'll be playing like garbage for weeks still.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

orange juche posted:

Count your hits vs the times you see numbers above the ship, the numbers are actual hits, everything else is a ricochet.
Actually that's not the best indicator since if you do damage multiple times in a short period of time (I want to say like a quarter to half a second or so) it just combines the damage into one big number. Like for example just about a minute or so ago I hit a Colorado with 3 HE shells from my Wyoming, and it just displayed ~2200 damage, instead of 3 separate numbers.

E: Also the end of match screen says that most of my shots are penetrating, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't count ricochets of penetrations in that number.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 14, 2015

Crash74
May 11, 2009
lol kitkats smoke screen is only 15 seconds, what a joke

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Huh, I thought it was kind of weird that the US BBs didn't get any gun upgrades, but it turns out that Wargaming just rolled the gun upgrades straight into the hull upgrades (most of them get better shells once you upgrade the hull).

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Now's a great time to play Destroyers, all those tasty slow rear end Battleships :getin:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Huh, I thought it was kind of weird that the US BBs didn't get any gun upgrades, but it turns out that Wargaming just rolled the gun upgrades straight into the hull upgrades (most of them get better shells once you upgrade the hull).

Some of them do. The Iowa is apparently less accurate than the Nagato the whole way through.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Crash74 posted:

eta until new aim mod?

Why? Are you that bad?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Is there any way to get a beta key now, or not really?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ebay maybe?

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So I got home early from work and took my Farragut out for stroll...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Is there any way to get a beta key now, or not really?

You can buy a preorder package...

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
mmmmmyeah....

edit: of course it leaves me 57 xp away from the Nicholas

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Stringbean posted:

Now's a great time to play Destroyers, all those tasty slow rear end Battleships :getin:

I was thinking about re-purchasing a Wickes or Nicholas for just such shenanigans.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Ugh, I'm atrocious with torpedo bombers. Does the beginning of the green cone on manual dropping indicate the location of the beginning of the torpedo run when you can't take the attack back, or the beginning of when the torpedoes are dropped?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Ugh, I'm atrocious with torpedo bombers. Does the beginning of the green cone on manual dropping indicate the location of the beginning of the torpedo run when you can't take the attack back, or the beginning of when the torpedoes are dropped?
Circle is the commit zone, beginning of the green line is where they get dropped.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Circle is the commit zone, beginning of the green line is where they get dropped.

A bit after that is where they go active. The green line should be where they go active but it isn't for some retarded reason.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 14, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Domination on the North map makes me sad. 4 cap points, and pubbies still do the blue line cruise out west.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

McGavin posted:

A bit after that is where they go active. The green line should be where they go active but it isn't for some retarded reason.

That's the thing I'm starting to notice, I'm trying to strike a balance between dropping as close as possible to prevent escape but not scratch paint with duds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Not super impressed with the Wyoming, 12 boomsticks is nice but man 14km is a huge pain in the rear end and it's only going to get worse as I move up.