Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Borticus posted:

Also, Attack Pattern Beta was apparently the #2 culprit [in server lag], as I understand it. So... consider laying off the Recluse spam? ;)

CrypticFlyingTarg posted:

This might make more sense if we talk about what Attack Pattern Beta does. Attack Pattern Beta adds a brand new effect to all of your weapons fire. It adds a Damage Resistance effect that wasn't there before.

It's specifically adding that brand new effect that's the culprit. Doing that involves running some insanely expensive operations on the server, because we're adding a new ability for 10 seconds that never before existed.

Borticus posted:

Activating APB basically causes all of your powers (all of them - even the hidden/secret/things-you-don't-know-exist) to get re-checked and then re-loaded, so that the powers system knows which ones gain this extra effect for the next 10 seconds.
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
That sounds like nearly the dumbest way possible to implement an enemy debuff.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Dootman posted:

That sounds like nearly the dumbest way we've seen so farto implement an enemy debuff.

Fixed that for you.

I'd make a better joke but even that's not worth it anymore.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I've said before that STO was an absolute slipshod clusterfuck of a game that was desperately rushed to launch with just over thirteen months of panicked development, that the current team has had to rebuild entire sections of the game (kits, bridge officers, talents, etc.) from the ground up to actually get them to work properly and be expandable, but even I'm still sometimes surprised at how bad the code is.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SKY COQ posted:

The worst part about flying into ESD is having to back up, turn the ship upside down and then trying to dock again

The T7 version will be reversible!

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Preechr posted:

Wow. So they took a look at people like poor Tonto over here, grinding out 1000 pearls and Q portraits on 12 different characters, and went "Haha, nope, gently caress you. You don't get to skip the grind for the next 12 years."

poo poo, he's probably going to hang himself.

I'm not too pissed off since I didn't grind up the pearls. What I did do is grind up Q pictures to buy the Breen raider 2 years ago and then I realized that it sucked and didn't buy it. The next year they came out with the alt discount, so I only had to use a couple pictures to get the ships on all my characters. I still have a shitload of them on some of my characters though.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The Breen raider is actually really good. It's bit behind the curve now thanks to T6 but it's still a great ship.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dootman posted:

That sounds like nearly the dumbest way possible to implement an enemy debuff.

Especially for an ability everything needs.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

The Breen raider is actually really good. It's bit behind the curve now thanks to T6 but it's still a great ship.
It's also one of two possible raiders feds get. And the other is the Aquarius. :effort:

Unguided posted:

Especially for an ability everything needs.
It's important to keep in mind that STO was literally hacked together in thirteen months to meet the deadline for the contract Atari had for the license after Perpetual basically scammed investors and did no work. It's a shambling, frankenstein-like husk of a game cobbled together around the gutted innards of Champions Online, with whatever vaguely Trek-like systems they could bolt onto it in short order, with no attempt to make sure they were coded correctly, were commented, interacted correctly, or even worked at all. There are entire swaths of the game (like the PVP matches) where the developers have no idea how the code functions at all because the person responsible for it left the company years ago.

STO was and isa trainwreck. It's a miracle it ever got fun at all, and a lot of it was due to hard work spent literally recording entire systems (traits, bridge officers, kits, etc.) from scratch so they actually worked correctly and could be expanded later. And now think of how quickly Geko and company have flushed those years of work down the drain. :suicide:

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

Is this still a thing? If so, I'm going to spam the gently caress out of it for the next 2 hours.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

BombermanX posted:

Is this still a thing? If so, I'm going to spam the gently caress out of it for the next 2 hours.
Yeah, though it's apparently only a fraction of the server-destroying fuckery that the Command ships were doing.

If you want to break the game, get some 10 or 20 man all-command-ship queues going... :v:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lorak posted:

So, I hope you guys didn't want to fly bright pink ships on any new characters.
Oh well, at least I can get some spec points for one of my alts

Cryptic posted:

** NOTE: Specialization Point packages may only be purchased by Level 60 characters.
or not. Guess I can get 60+ R&D packages instead. Which I could use for crafting if I ever did that. Or sell on the exchange if there were any reason to save up EC.

g0del fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 14, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, I just noticed that the spec point packages are... cheaper than I expected. That's not too bad. Pity my pearls are on the wrong characters.

Guessing the emotes'll be in the c-store soon. And probably buyable with horga'us or something during the event.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

MikeJF posted:

Huh, I just noticed that the spec point packages are... cheaper than I expected. That's not too bad. Pity my pearls are on the wrong characters.

Guessing the emotes'll be in the c-store soon. And probably buyable with horga'us or something during the event.

emotes are going in the GPL shop according to either the blog or trendy or something

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

Yeah, though it's apparently only a fraction of the server-destroying fuckery that the Command ships were doing.

If you want to break the game, get some 10 or 20 man all-command-ship queues going... :v:

SB24 with 20 command ships

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1458671

thread of the day

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

I...don't even understand what's causing all this. Is it something specific or just plain overload of shiny effects or something? I apologise for my dumbness here. I watch it, I see the stuff, but I do not comprehend.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bloodly posted:

I...don't even understand what's causing all this. Is it something specific or just plain overload of shiny effects or something? I apologise for my dumbness here. I watch it, I see the stuff, but I do not comprehend.

I'm pretty sure the server is actually blocking. As in, it cannot execute all the stuff that has to happen fast enough, which is why everything stops for a second. The comman powersd have some sort of really horrible scaling factor that's bringing the server cpu (or memory bus or something) to its knees.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Bloodly posted:

The lovely programming of the command powers is putting such a heavy burden on the server that it's making GBS threads the bed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm sure they'll fix it soon, it's not like all the better devs have left due to recent game-bottoming-out, right?

Oh.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
The thing is, this was a problem on Tribble before they came out, and it was worse. 2-3 command ships on the same map would cause lag.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And there was that infinite loop with the breen nanite aura trait, where one ship could crash an instance.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

And there was that infinite loop with the breen nanite aura trait, where one ship could crash an instance.
Technically it was the breen trait and the dauntless trait, something about the interaction between hull heals healing your pets and hull heals causing an AoE heal. And it wasn't "could", it was guaranteed every time. :downs:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It's been years but I maintain that STO cannot be complete without an "extend docking tube" emote that works in space and sector space.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Star Trek Online Season 10: loving *throws keyboard computer across the room*

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
More like Star Trek Online Season 10: Are you sure you want to delete all local content? Yes.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Guy's don't leave just yet, I've got an exclusive sneak peak at the Summer Event content

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mondian posted:

Guy's don't leave just yet, I've got an exclusive sneak peak at the Summer Event content

:negative:

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Picking this up again because i hate myself, can i get an invite to denalt please?

Syoda@butternubz7

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Really, don't bother. Half of the dozen people that show up in chat are using pidgin and there are no endgame content goon runs because there is no endgame content. You'll blast through stuff up to level 50 thinking everything is just fine, you'll run out of content before you hit 60, and then when you do, there's nothing to do but grind out endless patrols for spec points. That and endlessly running the same 3 STF's until the end of time for essentially no tangible reward. The game has evolved into a skinner box where you receive absolutely nothing when you pull the lever.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mondian posted:

Sad thing is, it'd probably earn 'em money.

To quote Kirk, let them die.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Yes, it's not as strong a disrupt or boost as a aspire console, but I like this new set and I am going to hold it close to my bosom.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

SKY COQ posted:

Yes, it's not as strong a disrupt or boost as a aspire console, but I like this new set and I am going to hold it close to my bosom.

To do what? Shoot a glorified snowflake 0.01% better?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Dootman posted:

Yes.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Carry on then, I guess.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Dootman posted:

Just like every RPG ever made. :D

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Burning_Monk posted:

Just like every RPG ever made. :D

Except that it's extra meaningless here. There is nothing to do with your bigger numbers. Hell, you can't even really try to get the biggest numbers because the game is so broken that you can't even play the single benchmark STF without lagging out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Let me use a JRPG analogy:

You have the sword of ultimate godliness, you have killed all of the heavenly host and also space satan. With your amazing powers to defeat anything you are killing 1 HP slimes outside the starting town for all eternity to make your numbers slightly bigger.

You will never have any opponents other than 1 HP slimes.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

DancingShade posted:

Let me use a JRPG analogy:

You have the sword of ultimate godliness, you have killed all of the heavenly host and also space satan. With your amazing powers to defeat anything you are killing 1 HP slimes outside the starting town for all eternity to make your numbers slightly bigger.

You will never have any opponents other than 1 HP slimes.

I find myself deeply offended and insulted by your insinuation from this analogy.

There are also the occasional 2 HP slimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
You don't need a +12 Hackmaster to do any of that in this game. You can beat all of the endgame content with white gear and half a brain. The problem is that there isn't any content. There is a giant list of various endgame Things you can queue up for, but they are either 1) boring to play, 2) have no worthwhile reward, 3) are impossible to play in a group of random people because of the hard fail conditions, 4) are flat out broken, and/or 5) all of the above. You can't queue up for Breach Elite anymore and carry a group of 4 clueless pubbies on the back of your superior gear, knowledge, and experience. Hell, you can't even queue up for Breach of any difficulty because no one plays it. Nobody in the channel runs anything on a regular basis. At best, you can hope for some bored goon asking for a Bug Hunt run, which won't get filled and winds up running with some randoms from reddit or one of the dps channels.

I guess what this boils down to is that I cannot defend this game any longer in any way. The player base is horrible, the game design is bad on just about every level, the project lead is a terrible sperg who is only compounding the game's problems, and the engine is such a giant pile of poo poo that everything they try to add or change makes the situation worse. Elaborating on that last point, the new sector space thing which was intended to break down barriers and open up the game world has done the exact opposite. The new design has a sector instance population so low that I saw a grand total of 5 other people in space since it went live. I guess they thought that since you wind up leveling/grinding through the various episodes/features/leveling content/foundry missions etc. alone, that you might appreciate logging into a universe populated only by yourself, not unlike this episode.

Unless you have an extreme hardon for spraying down erpers with fire extinguishers, play a different game.

Dootman fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 15, 2015

• Locked thread