Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Wanderer posted:

The 2nd edition reincarnation table was why nobody ever wanted to use it. I was particularly fond of how if the result was a non-player race, the rules for that were "poo poo, I don't know, make something up."

OD&D was even worse. You picked a column listing all the monsters of a certain alignment and then rolled a dice to see what you got. ALL the monsters, including liches, giants and dragons.

I can only imagine how well that went over because every edition afterward had some kind of clause preventing reincarnation as anything with more than 6HD. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Apparently Rich is very okay:

:siren:Down the Winding Path:siren:

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

OD&D was even worse. You picked a column listing all the monsters of a certain alignment and then rolled a dice to see what you got. ALL the monsters, including liches, giants and dragons.

I can only imagine how well that went over because every edition afterward had some kind of clause preventing reincarnation as anything with more than 6HD. :v:

...How is one reborn as a lich?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

e X posted:

Apparently Rich is very okay:

:siren:Down the Winding Path:siren:

poo poo's going down in the mountains I guess? Maybe the gods are going to pull a Dragonlance and shack up until all this snarl business dies down. Or until the world ends, whichever comes first.

Wanderer posted:

The narrative mechanics of reincarnation don't really bear thinking about, because when you get right down to it, it means that the person you're casting it on is retroactively reborn decades or even centuries in the past. You're creating a relatively stable time loop, which suggests the exertion of far more power than I'd expect to go into a resurrection, and yet it's considered the weak-sister option.

I like to think it works like that one scene from Beerfest where some random new character shows up out of nowhere and assumes the old one's identity.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 14, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

NameHurtBrain posted:

...How is one reborn as a lich?

The narrative mechanics of reincarnation don't really bear thinking about, because when you get right down to it, it means that the person you're casting it on is retroactively reborn decades or even centuries in the past. You're creating a relatively stable time loop, which suggests the exertion of far more power than I'd expect to go into a resurrection, and yet it's considered the weak-sister option.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Up until the last panel I was fairly sure that lady is Sabine

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Poor Roy, still so drat oblivious. "Cool now we can get this whole vampire thing sorted out. Probably take an hour, tops." :downs:

Loved Durkon's 'thwarted villain' line though. And holy crap are these updates coming fast. Well...faster. Lightning speed for OotS, anyhow.

Can't wait to see what's going down in the mountains and why it's such a big secret.

e: hope the kid doesn't get murdered for knowing too much now that Roy's mentioned a vampire... :ohdear:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I hate to be contrary on Reincarnation, but I got curious and pulled down my 1st and 2nd player handbooks to compare the spells and they're not what has been said. In 1st Ed, the Druid spell has mainly animals with a few odd things like centaurs, dryads, fauns, pixies, and Wolverine (as we to assume that this spell summons adamantium?). Magic-users get a little more wild, but they only go up to ogres and trolls at the far end of the hit die spectrum for revival; everything is humanoid, though. For both of these, it sounds like they just make a new body and drop a disorientated soul into it.

The 2nd edition Reincarnation spell is almost word for word the 1st edition one. The chart is almost identical to the 1st edition druid chart, except "Use magic user chart" is replaced with "DM's choice".

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Random Stranger posted:

I hate to be contrary on Reincarnation, but I got curious and pulled down my 1st and 2nd player handbooks to compare the spells and they're not what has been said. In 1st Ed, the Druid spell has mainly animals with a few odd things like centaurs, dryads, fauns, pixies, and Wolverine (as we to assume that this spell summons adamantium?). Magic-users get a little more wild, but they only go up to ogres and trolls at the far end of the hit die spectrum for revival; everything is humanoid, though. For both of these, it sounds like they just make a new body and drop a disorientated soul into it.

The 2nd edition Reincarnation spell is almost word for word the 1st edition one. The chart is almost identical to the 1st edition druid chart, except "Use magic user chart" is replaced with "DM's choice".

That's Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, an updated version of 1st edition released about 4 years after OD&D came out. OD&D was literally the very first version of the game and was a massive cluster gently caress in almost all respects.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Missed a decently easy throwing money to a blind person gag there, Rich. I wonder if he had it but cut it out to avoid pissing off whiners, whether the blind person catching it is the actual joke or if Rich just wasn't really thinking at all on it and the lame villain thwarting line was supposed to be the joke?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cliff Racer posted:

Missed a decently easy throwing money to a blind person gag there, Rich. I wonder if he had it but cut it out to avoid pissing off whiners, whether the blind person catching it is the actual joke or if Rich just wasn't really thinking at all on it and the lame villain thwarting line was supposed to be the joke?

I recommend sitting back and spending some time not thinking. More time.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
So I'm guessing Durkula has foreknowledge of this gathering of Clerics from Hel, but can't act on it without finding it out by himself on the material plane due to Deific political shenanigans? Or maybe I'm totally mis-remembering how (or even if) these kinds of situations have been dealt with in the comic before.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Cuchulain posted:

So I'm guessing Durkula has foreknowledge of this gathering of Clerics from Hel, but can't act on it without finding it out by himself on the material plane due to Deific political shenanigans? Or maybe I'm totally mis-remembering how (or even if) these kinds of situations have been dealt with in the comic before.

It may just be that he needs the party (or at least the airship) in order to follow them- he may know of the gathering but not the exact location. And he can't really explain how he knows about it to Roy.

My first guess is that he wants to turn a whole bunch of clerics of different gods into vampires all at once and then send them home in stealth mode to make more 'converts', but really it could be anything. It's definitely odd that whatever the pilgrims are up to, they wanted to keep it secret.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So this has got to be the gods calling in all their clerics to try and stop Xkyon, right? We've wondered why they weren't taking a more direct approach.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Fried Chicken posted:

So this has got to be the gods calling in all their clerics to try and stop Xkyon, right? We've wondered why they weren't taking a more direct approach.

Probably go about as well as when the paladins attempted this. But hey, maybe their charred, zombified corpses will at least act as a minor speedbump. I predicted a long time ago that some kind of wrench would have to be thrown in Xykon's plans because there's no way the OotS would be able to get to him in time otherwise, even when one isn't factoring in all the usual bullshit PCs have to deal with.

Major props to Roy for keeping his eye on the prize turning down the obvious sidequest bait Durkula was dangling in front of him as well.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zoe posted:

Major props to Roy for keeping his eye on the prize turning down the obvious sidequest bait Durkula was dangling in front of him as well.
Yeah, Roy can be pretty oblivious sometimes, but that does occasionally work out in his favor.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
Why does the high priestess of Hoder have mistletoe on her staff? You'd think they'd want to downplay their association with that particular plant.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Why does the high priestess of Hoder have mistletoe on her staff? You'd think they'd want to downplay their association with that particular plant.
NEVER FORGET

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vampire Durkon's accent is slipping badly. He's not as good at this thing as he thinks he is.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Huh, I didn't even notice that.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vampire Durkon's accent is slipping badly. He's not as good at this thing as he thinks he is.

He is, when he's composed. Turns out an evil vampire soul has enough issues to prevent him remaining composed in conversations lasting longer than 2 minutes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Wanderer posted:

This is the plot of the latest Drizzt novels, works fairly well tbh.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Ponsonby Britt posted:

FMguru posted:

NEVER FORGET

What's the joke here, for people who have never heard of Hoder outside of this last comic.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Zoe posted:

What's the joke here, for people who have never heard of Hoder outside of this last comic.

Hoder is from Norse mythology and was a son of Odin. His brother, Baldr, was made utterly invulnerable with only one weakness - mistletoe. Loki discovered this loophole and had an arrow made of mistletoe constructed. Hoder was blind and an archer, so Loki tricked him in shooting and killing his brother.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Zoe posted:

Tricked and guided by Loki, he shot the mistletoe arrow which was to slay the otherwise invulnerable Baldr.

Literally found in two seconds on Wikipedia.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Why do Christians hang depictions of the instrument their messiah was torturously murdered on?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Why do Christians hang depictions of the instrument their messiah was torturously murdered on?

That's actually pretty weird too.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Random Stranger posted:

I hate to be contrary on Reincarnation, but I got curious and pulled down my 1st and 2nd player handbooks to compare the spells and they're not what has been said. In 1st Ed, the Druid spell has mainly animals with a few odd things like centaurs, dryads, fauns, pixies, and Wolverine (as we to assume that this spell summons adamantium?).

You know the wolverine is a real animal, yes? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I'm not sure what would be funnier: if he didn't know that, or if he felt D&D had a spell that actually randomly reincarnates your dude as a Marvel superhero.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Cliff Racer posted:

For me at least the joke was she catches it and you're like "gasp! She caught it, despite being bad at not using her eyes before! Maybe this was all an act!" and then she goes "wait what vampire" and you go "oh nevermind she knows nothing."

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 14, 2015

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MikeJF posted:

Mostly to remind you that "Jesus died for YOUR SINS!" It's to remind you that you suck so much that the best guy in the world let people kill him to make it right. Because you suck. Least you can do is put a ten spot in the donation basket, right?

Growing up Catholic, you get the lovingly detailed statue of Jesus hanging from the cross, looking down at you with his cold, dying eyes, asking "why do you suck so much? Look what you made me do!" It's a lovely message for a young child. That heady mix of "you're terrible and you have to come to us to fix it" combined with "you're God's Chosen People, and everyone else (even and especially those who follow a nearly identical creed but they disagree about whether Jesus had one or two natures) will BURN" has kept the whole gig going for a couple of thousand years and counting.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah that does sounds pretty accurate for Catholics, but for other less guilt-motivated kinds of Christianity I believe it's more of a triumphant 'okay this was the big climatic moment where it looked like the bad guys had won but then Jesus made Death his bitch and saved the world in the process, gently caress yeah!'

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zoe posted:

Yeah that does sounds pretty accurate for Catholics, but for other less guilt-motivated kinds of Christianity I believe it's more of a triumphant 'okay this was the big climatic moment where it looked like the bad guys had won but then Jesus made Death his bitch and saved the world in the process, gently caress yeah!'

Yeah, that's probably fair. Being a lapsed Catholic myself does tend to encourage me to examine things through a single lens.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rumda posted:

Tricked and guided by Loki, he shot the mistletoe arrow which was to slay the otherwise invulnerable Baldr.

Literally found in two seconds on Wikipedia.

It's not so much tricked as Loki gave it to him. Throwing poo poo at Baldr and watching it bounce harmlessly off was kind of a pastime for the Norse gods up until then.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Shugojin posted:

It's not so much tricked as Loki gave it to him. Throwing poo poo at Baldr and watching it bounce harmlessly off was kind of a pastime for the Norse gods up until then.

I love that their mythology involving an invincible god also has said god using his power to goof around.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean, it's pretty realistic because like hell anyone who was immortal WOULDN'T use it as a party trick.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Shugojin posted:

Even better, the reason that he was immortal was that his mom went around and made everything swear that it wouldn't hurt him. She didn't get Mistletoe to swear because it was too young to swear an oath.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Shugojin posted:

Capfalcon posted:

Even better, the reason that he was immortal was that his mom went around and made everything swear that it wouldn't hurt him. She didn't get Mistletoe to swear because it was too young to swear an oath.

I really should get a book on Norse mythology sometime, sounds fun.

Loki is pretty much ruined for me forever though because I can only envision him as Tom Hiddleston now.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
by the way the reason they did all of that was that Baldr was so beautiful that everyone loved him enough to never hurt him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Shugojin posted:

Tell Wikipedia then not me