Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

TheSpiritFox posted:

What happened to your avatar? I loved that avatar.

It got replaced with a red hammer at some point (?? Someone with more knowledge of gamergate probably knows what that means.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I pretend i'm playing the guy that chokes Lara Croft when you lose the QTE.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

mycot posted:

It got replaced with a red hammer at some point (?? Someone with more knowledge of gamergate probably knows what that means.)

I hope someone has that somewhere, that was one of the best things to come out of the "Draw my Avatar" thread.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Pocket Billiards posted:

I think the city screen aesthetics of the HOMM2 hold up much better than any game since. It's colourful and cartoonish and everything from 3 onwards has looked like free downloadable fantasy windows wallpapers from the 90s.

:hfive:

The HoMM2 art style was the best. I enjoy HoMM3 but trying to make things look more realistic back-fired in a flippin' fantasy game.

As for other things dragging games down - Prototype 2: it's repetitive as hell and the combat just comes down to getting swamped to create difficulty. I only just finished the mission with the "Phase One" Heller cloned super soldiers and despite destroying them all within the mission parameters I knew they'd be in every mission afterwards.

Now while I'm getting swarmed by all the other various mooks (who have missile weapons and I don't) I have to take on the Phase Ones who have specific combos and attacks that need to be performed to defeat them. It sucks!

Yeah yeah, I know:

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

*runs into thread panting and sweaty*

"NO IT DOESN'T, GIT GUD SCRUB"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The claws, especially upgraded, will absolutely obliterate the super soldiers if that's any help. They're far stronger than they were in the previous game.

TheSpiritFox posted:

I hope someone has that somewhere, that was one of the best things to come out of the "Draw my Avatar" thread.

I still have it, but someone gets very, very, very angry when I don't have an avatar related to GG and keeps replacing it. :iiam:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

The claws, especially upgraded, will absolutely obliterate the super soldiers if that's any help. They're far stronger than they were in the previous game.

Ah, okay. I think they're still at level 1 or 2, so they're pretty weak still. I'll focus on 'em, thanks!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Shield will ruin their day too, especially once you get the spikes upgrade.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The whole supersoldier bit of that game is weird. They introduce them and in the span of two missions go "And now they can't make any more" but they still show up the rest of the game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ninjahedgehog posted:

The Shield will ruin their day too, especially once you get the spikes upgrade.

After the first game, having the shield be able to bounce back rockets (that you can now see targeting you, thank gently caress) is the most satisfying thing in the world. Can't stunlock me now!

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Finally got around to playing Alien: Isolation and drat there isn't a whole lot of direction in this game. The first couple hours at least mostly involves wandering around until something happens or your stumble across something. I spent a good hour bumbling around in the terminal near the very beginning of the game not knowing what the hell I was supposed to be doing until I realized there was a door in the goddamn floor. I mean, who would even think of that without prior knowledge? A little memo with some info would've be nice. "Hey, jackass. There's doors in the floors. Just fyi."

I like the atmosphere and everything, but if the game keeps going on like this I'll probably give up. A slow pace for immersion is one thing, but keeping objectives needlessly obscure just to slow down the player artificially is bad design.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That time spent searching is meant to build suspense because finding it too fast ruins the atmosphere. One does not simply walk into a floor-door.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

oldpainless posted:

That time spent searching is meant to build suspense because finding it too fast ruins the atmosphere. One does not simply walk into a floor-door.

I get that. I just wish there was some direction via a memo or dialogue that facilitated a vague idea of what to do next. In fact, the terminal in particular steers you in the wrong direction. The only remaining normal door says you need an ion cutter, so I spent an hour wondering where the bloody hell the ion cutter is before I found the floor-door. It's counter-intuitive and drags the game down.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

hmm, this seems like a bad thread

i like video games though and do not like things that are not fun in video games

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I don't like that you have to read in Zork. It's like the worst.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I am a bit of a completionist, I even like hoovering up the map on Assassins Creed.

I feel like GTA V is still stuck in the past by having these little 'collect 10 hairy rat anuses' quests there to complete the game but offering no way to put them on the map (unless I've missed something). No normal human is going to find all the stunt jumps, letter scraps and so forth so in practice all this does is make you look on the internet, an extra level of arsing on which adds nothing.

The absolute worst is that you'll likely have done a few of each as a matter of course during the game, making things a bit more complicated. I'm getting flashbacks to having 99 of 100 hidden packages.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 20:59 on May 14, 2015

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Walton Simons posted:

I am a bit of a completionist, I even like hoovering up the map on Assassins Creed.

I feel like GTA V is still stuck in the past by having these little 'collect 10 hairy rat anuses' quests there to complete the game but offering no way to put them on the map (unless I've missed something). No normal human is going to find all the stunt jumps, letter scraps and so forth so in practice all this does is make you look on the internet, an extra level of arsing on which adds nothing.

The absolute worst is that you'll likely have done a few of each as a matter of course during the game, making things a bit more complicated. I'm getting flashbacks to having 99 of 100 hidden packages.

I found them all by printing out a map of them and working top to bottom

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's why I like that you can buy in-game collectible maps in Assassin's Creed. Sure, the flags, feathers and fragments might not give you anything, but it sure is convenient to be able to mark them.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's especially dumb because they added collectibles to the map in Bully: Scholarship Edition so they know it's something people want and are capable of delivering it but choose not to.

GTA4 was practically trolling in that you can access a tiny map on the in-game internet that shows the location of the pigeons but its a static image that doean't mark off the ones you've already collected and it's hidden behind a web address that is intentionally long and cumbersome to enter.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

LoonShia posted:

That's why I like that you can buy in-game collectible maps in Assassin's Creed. Sure, the flags, feathers and fragments might not give you anything, but it sure is convenient to be able to mark them.

I didn't know about this option in Unity until I had gathered like 209/210 chests :(

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

The letter scraps and spaceship parts are really just a matter of looking at the map and flying around in a helicopter. They make noise so you don't even have to watch a video or anything.

That is to say I've collected them before. Flying rats in GTA 4 were much, much worse.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Why anybody even bothers with collectibles in games boggles my mind. Most of the time they're only there to pad out the play time and don't even give you anything worth your effort.

I've never completed a collectible challenge. Never even thought twice about it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I liked far cry 2's system, it didn't have any collectibles but there were diamond cases (money) in hidden places all around the world, and when you got close to them your GPS would flash a light showing how close you were to a case. You could see how many were in your current ninth of the map total and where you had found them already, so you had a pretty good idea of where to look for more. The money system in the game made this really valuable to do, so it really encouraged you to explore a lot of the game world.

Far cry 3's system was alright too, it had standard collectibles with maps you could buy that pointed you to them, but getting certain milestones (15 out of 200 or whatever) would unlock things, so they were meaningful but you also could ignore most of them if you didn't care.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Esroc posted:

Why anybody even bothers with collectibles in games boggles my mind. Most of the time they're only there to pad out the play time and don't even give you anything worth your effort.

I enjoy it, especially in a nice game world like San Andreas or rear end Creed cities, it's quite relaxing. Some games do give you pretty good stuff from them as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

im pooping! posted:

The letter scraps and spaceship parts are really just a matter of looking at the map and flying around in a helicopter. They make noise so you don't even have to watch a video or anything.

That is to say I've collected them before. Flying rats in GTA 4 were much, much worse.

If you've linked your account to the Rockstar Social Club you can go to their website and it has an interactive list of what you've collected.

I've been messing around with Prototype 2 and its kind of stupid how boring the Green and Yellow zones are when compared to the Red. Green and Yellow are generic city while Red is chock full of infected and buildings that have fallen over and all kinds of interesting environments.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

If you've linked your account to the Rockstar Social Club you can go to their website and it has an interactive list of what you've collected.

I've been messing around with Prototype 2 and its kind of stupid how boring the Green and Yellow zones are when compared to the Red. Green and Yellow are generic city while Red is chock full of infected and buildings that have fallen over and all kinds of interesting environments.

Is Prototype 2 worth picking up though? I had fun with the first game, but not enough to justify full price.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

Is Prototype 2 worth picking up though? I had fun with the first game, but not enough to justify full price.

Fun game but not a great port. Apparently it has real issues with AMD graphics cards so maybe avoid if you have one.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Esroc posted:

I've never completed a collectible challenge. Never even thought twice about it.

I like them because they are often put at unique architecture or "hey look at this" places that I don't encounter in the main game. So I get to sightsee a lot of neat places.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I hate how the super jumps they have have to be completed in really specific ways. Maybe I'm just bad at finessing my car into a double barrel roll going vertical at 200mph, and landing on all four wheels at once but it gets tedious after the Nth try. Not to mention when someone TK's you.

Esroc posted:

Some collectible challenges do give you rewards though, so depending on your personal preference it might be something worth completing. Sea Shanties in AC: Black Flag had to be collected, and some shanties are just downright required to sail the seas with :colbert:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Collectable hunts don't bother me. I don't feel obligated to do them like I do actual structured side-quests, but people that like to explore and kill time can do so and work toward a goal. Seems good to me.

I feel like if you're going to shoot for 100% completion in a game like GTA5, you need to prepare for some major time sinks like that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For some reason I loved the old N64 collectathons like rocket: robot on wheels and banjo kazooie, but have never been able to make myself care about collectibles in modern open world games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Collectibles are a pretty important tool open-world level design as a way of encouraging exploration and letting you organically unlock abilities and items. Games like Crackdown or Saints Row 4 use them really well because the collectibles are highly visible and actually valuable and there's so many that you can easily get all you need without ever really going out of your way to grind for them. In games like the earlier Saints Row games or the infamous Assassin's Creed flags they're just objects sitting around that give you a small amount of money and an arbitrary achievement or tick-off on your quest list and are more or less useless.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

rocket: robot on wheels

It was by the same guys who would later make the Sly Cooper and Infamous games, that's probably why :v:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Saint's Row 3 and 4 let you buy an ability that made the collectibles show up on the map, which was really helpful.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

For some reason I loved the old N64 collectathons like rocket: robot on wheels and banjo kazooie, but have never been able to make myself care about collectibles in modern open world games.

Well that's easy to understand given that collectathons have you finding objects in smaller worlds meant to be explored and usually unlock something or other like more levels, moves, or upgrades. You ultimately put in less time for a better reward.

Here's on for GTAV: There's so many different control schemes you have to remember and be able to use throughout the game that every time I'm expected to go underwater I drown because I forget the surface button.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Esroc posted:

Some of them are actually fun. Getting all the orbs in the last two Saints Row games has actually been really fun to do, as well as unlocking new abilities.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Tiggum posted:

Some of them are actually fun. Getting all the orbs in the last two Saints Row games has actually been really fun to do, as well as unlocking new abilities.

SRIV was loosely inspired by City of Heroes, where you'd find 'idly cruising around the city with your travel power' was one of the most popular no-reward passtimes. The orbs were basically just turning that into an actual progression mechanic.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Convex posted:

Fun game but not a great port. Apparently it has real issues with AMD graphics cards so maybe avoid if you have one.

There's also a bug in like the third mission or so where it just decides that after you've defeated the dudes the game asked you to defeat, you still haven't done it. And then that will always happen forever and ever and there's nothing you can do about it and then you can't access most of the game. This was never patched, and no one knows why it happens, and it's completely arbitrary. Be lucky.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I made some sporadic attempts at an impossible mode game in XCOM and can barely work it through the first few missions. Sectoids, the wimpiest alien, become better than your starting soldiers and you don't have enough grenades, your one advantage, to overcome the increased numbers of them on the first freaking mission. Hunkered down in full cover, they still have a significant chance to one shot your guys and send the rest into a panic spiral. They have infinite patience and won't come at you if you have a good spot. Your guys miss every single shot with odds below 60%

It was hard enough in classic to get satellite coverage without losing countries, as your abduction missions had to happen early, AND they had to offer the right rewards, AND they have to happen in the right countries to reduce panic, AND the countries whose requests you have to turn down to do the former missions must be on continents with low panic, AND any UFO flight computers you find must be intact, AND your geothermal steam vents have to be conveniently placed. On impossible panic increase so fast you get two continents worth of countries ready to withdraw after your fist abduction mission.

I've never even gotten to having to deal with thin men, who have a stronger, more accurate gun before you get the armor to slightly mitigate it and a 100% accurate poison cloud attack. You can give your guys rebreathers to make them immune to the poison, but the AI knows not to try it then, so you're more likely to just get shot with a rifle that can obliterate a guy hunkered down in heavy cover, and the heavy cover, in one shot.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Dr Christmas posted:

XCOM on impossible

Everything you said is correct and it really makes little sense playing past normal difficulty.

The AI doesn't become better, the game just lowers the odds of you succeeding doing the same thing. In effect you can only mitigate this by using more soldiers covering each other which means it only makes the game slower.

With how repetetive it gets after a while, being pro in this game means having a lot of time on your hands.

I miss the time unit system.

Vic has a new favorite as of 10:30 on May 15, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Those are the same people that like Lunatic difficulty in the new Fire Emblem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Vic posted:

The AI doesn't become better, the game just lowers the odds of you succeeding doing the same thing. In effect you can only mitigate this by using more soldiers covering each other which means it only makes the game slower.

It does a bit, on normal, the AI has a slight chance, about 5% to do something really stupid like run out of cover. Also they're more special ability and grenade happy on higher difficulties.