Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

We've got MAN TGM15.280's and a few TGS33.440's at work, both with the ZF 12 speed self shifting manuals in them and they are absolutely aweseome to drive- Really smooth off the line and at very low revs, easy as hell to drive offroad too and if you want you can drop them into full manual mode and control it all with the stick on the side of the wheel.

Only time ive ever felt let down by them is occassionally they will skip shift a bit too abitiously- you'll go up a gear too far and lug the engine a fair bit, but they have a mode where you push the go pedal down further than the first stop and it will kick it down a gear and make it hurl towards the redline before changing if you hold it flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Whether the ISX's kinks are worked out or not, their reputation is shot. So much so that the largest oilfield companies are specing their trucks with paccar engines now. Detroits are only available in freightliners/western stars, Cat engines haven't been available in non-cat trucks for 5 years now.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea they cut horizontal integration that far out of the picture already. Last I heard it was just starting to get prohibitively expensive, but you could still spec just about any Paccar/IH/DTNA with any DD/Cummins/Cat on a special order basis if you had enough coin. Kinda like back in the day when you could get an N14 in a Volvo but you were paying out the nose.
I guess that's what working at a lovely little drivetrain shop does, I've been so far removed from the new stuff I stopped paying attention to what's going on with the manufacturers.
loving scary that those Paccar engines are catching on. Rear geartrains are bad news for guys like me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would bet within a generation or two, probably with semi-autonomous trucks, they're going to cut out of company engines and they'll be like pickups, with the engine computer integrated into a central control module, you get a paccar engine in a paccar truck, a daimler engine in a daimler truck, a volvo engine in a volvo truck and that's that.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can't get cat engines in trucks currently but the ISX engines are basically Cat's failed and sold off truck engine division... I think. Or was that the International...

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 10, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

You can't get cat engines in trucks currently but the ISX engines are basically Cat's failed and sold off truck engine division... I think. Or was that the International...

International. The navistar maxxforce 15 is the former C15. and now the cat CT15 is a rebranded maxxforce 15.

Both have a cummins exhaust aftertreatment system now.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tommychu posted:

loving scary that those Paccar engines are catching on. Rear geartrains are bad news for guys like me.

I bet that's because most of Paccar's products are cabovers, so it's easier to pull the gearbox and access the back of the engine than pull all the rad and intercooler and still fight space with a tilted cab.

Like the MBE4000 where the cams come out the back, designed for cabover Euro trucks. (Still poo poo in anything other than a tractor unit.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Paccar sells more trucks in the US and canada than the rest of the world combined, and sells very, very few cabovers here.

It's likely down to where the engine is designed/built, it's likely adapted for american trucks from something originally engineered by DAF. The AC-460P in my mack is branded as a mack engine, but has renault logos all over it, and was very obviously designed for a RHD truck. the steering shaft and clutch cable block access to the oil filters, and the power steering hoses run from the passenger side of the engine to the steering box on the driver's side.

The way they're engineered these days is bothersome anyways. On my 04, I replaced my turbo oil feed line in the middle of a tornado-warning thunderstorm in a villiage of 450 people with hydraulic lines made by a tractor supply store. Everything on the truck is standard hydraulic fittings, and easily replaceable with standard hydraulic hose. You could realistically keep a portion of hose and a handful of ends and replace any oil, fuel or air line on the truck on the side of the road.

With the modern engines they're non-standard fittings, and rubber hoses crimped to metal hard lines thread straight into aluminum engine bits. and what should be a 3 foot section of $10 a foot hydraulic hose is now a $400 "only one in stock canada-wide" abortion.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah I've heard they're basically a lightly Americanized DAF engine.

Powershift posted:

With the modern engines they're non-standard fittings, and rubber hoses crimped to metal hard lines thread straight into aluminum engine bits. and what should be a 3 foot section of $10 a foot hydraulic hose is now a $400 "only one in stock canada-wide" abortion.

One thing I like about DTNA (and I'm not a big fan of shakers and stars) is you've always got NPT somewhere along the line to work with. Might be in a spot where you have to replace the whole 10 feet of line instead of the 4 foot section that's leaking but it's there if you need it.
Of course, DTNA will also have put 377 P-clamps on that line and run it inexplicably over top of the transmission and around the exhaust 3 times. :v:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

Paccar sells more trucks in the US and canada than the rest of the world combined, and sells very, very few cabovers here.

It's likely down to where the engine is designed/built, it's likely adapted for american trucks from something originally engineered by DAF. The AC-460P in my mack is branded as a mack engine, but has renault logos all over it, and was very obviously designed for a RHD truck. the steering shaft and clutch cable block access to the oil filters, and the power steering hoses run from the passenger side of the engine to the steering box on the driver's side.

The way they're engineered these days is bothersome anyways. On my 04, I replaced my turbo oil feed line in the middle of a tornado-warning thunderstorm in a villiage of 450 people with hydraulic lines made by a tractor supply store. Everything on the truck is standard hydraulic fittings, and easily replaceable with standard hydraulic hose. You could realistically keep a portion of hose and a handful of ends and replace any oil, fuel or air line on the truck on the side of the road.

What companies do Paccar own over there? Kenworth is one, as you can now get a C500 with an XF cab.

Your Renault engine definitely won't be designed for RHD, as Renault is French and RHD is a very small market for them; GB, Australia, New Zealand and Cyprus. It may just be that access is different with a cabover and a different steering box location.

Renault now offer an unrivalled warranty on their trucks here, i forget the details but i'm told they beat everyone else. (May well be wrong.)

That is unfortunately how all this poo poo is going, and part of why i gave up mech work. It's all getting more complicated than it need be. And like you said, parts back-up and availability is a loving nightmare, let alone cost.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kenworth and peterbilt. The C500 is $500 grand+ and cabover is special order only. the only real cabovers sold are the smaller re-badged DAFs, but mitsubishi and hino split like 80% of that market with everybody else fighting for the scraps.

Now i'm kinda sad i couldn't find a DAF rendered off the same file.

As an owner/operator, warranty didn't mean poo poo to me. I only have 1 truck, if the truck's not working i'm not working, i can't let the truck sit at the dealer for a week for a $500 fix or i would miss out on $10k in work.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

Kenworth and peterbilt. The C500 is $500 grand+ and cabover is special order only. the only real cabovers sold are the smaller re-badged DAFs, but mitsubishi and hino split like 80% of that market with everybody else fighting for the scraps.

The LFs are pretty popular here. Typically Paccar they're basically the same as Renault Midlums and Volvo FLs. (Not sure if new FEs are FL's replacement.)

I don't recall ever seeing a Hino here that wasn't an 8x4 tipper/mixer. Mitsubishi-Fuso recently entered the market being sold through Mercedes-Benz dealers, but still have a tiny market share. We do have some older Mitsubishis but they're quite rare and mostly rotten. Isuzu are getting more popular here but everyone says they're poo poo and their auto boxes are poo poo. Of course we have a lot more small trucks here, down to like 7.5t GWV.

Powershift posted:

As an owner/operator, warranty didn't mean poo poo to me. I only have 1 truck, if the truck's not working i'm not working, i can't let the truck sit at the dealer for a week for a $500 fix or i would miss out on $10k in work.

Ah, i see. What tractor are you running now? O/O could be an interesting option to explore for going there. In contact with me (Canadian) ex could reopen a door to getting in easier, but that's not without its risks..

How do you come out for money after all the costs are covered, if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to get my work to take off a bit, so i can expand, but it's a nightmare here with so many people doing it, and i've had very little work the last two weeks. It's getting to the stage of being (just) profitable but not enough to really take any money out of it.

Maybe i'll make a thread of it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've shut down again for health reasons, but this is my truck, an 04 mack CX613

12 liter, 487hp/1660ft/lbs, 18 speed mack trans, 46000lb rear with 4.30 gears. Very heavy spec truck.

Paid $17k for it with questionable mileage(ended up being legit) put another $15k into it straight off, maybe $20k since, and it's just been a reliable workhorse that has taken an extraordinary amount of abuse.

Pay was $120/hour, I paid $20-40/hour in fuel, about $1000 every 400 hours in maint/repairs, $1000/month insurance, $300/month rego.

Break-even was about 75 hours a month. That's $9000 revenue, $3000 wage, $2500 fuel, $1000 paperwork, $500-$1000 maint, and the rest to taxes and other poo poo. With a new truck When it was busy it was good money.

Highway o/o would be a little more of a struggle to break even.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

I've shut down again for health reasons, but this is my truck, an 04 mack CX613

12 liter, 487hp/1660ft/lbs, 18 speed mack trans, 46000lb rear with 4.30 gears. Very heavy spec truck.

Paid $17k for it with questionable mileage(ended up being legit) put another $15k into it straight off, maybe $20k since, and it's just been a reliable workhorse that has taken an extraordinary amount of abuse.

Pay was $120/hour, I paid $20-40/hour in fuel, about $1000 every 400 hours in maint/repairs, $1000/month insurance, $300/month rego.

Break-even was about 75 hours a month. That's $9000 revenue, $3000 wage, $2500 fuel, $1000 paperwork, $500-$1000 maint, and the rest to taxes and other poo poo. With a new truck When it was busy it was good money.

Highway o/o would be a little more of a struggle to break even.

Awesome, thanks man!

Yeah, that looks like a nice setup all-over. May well be something for me to aim for. If i can pull my setup off for a couple years i could be set to do a similar thing. (All other cicumstances allowing.)

Sorry to hear about the health stuff. :( How long do you think before you can get back to it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

At this point i'm probably not, unfortunately. i'll probably keep the truck around to move auction stuff.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

At this point i'm probably not, unfortunately. i'll probably keep the truck around to move auction stuff.

poo poo, dude, sorry to hear that. :(

Want a mouthy arrogant Englishman to come drive it for you? :buddy:

I've had no work for like 3-4 days and i'm bored as gently caress going crazy at home. Trying the sites where you bid on jobs, i swear they're a waste of time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Sorry to hear it dude :( Hope you find something awesome to do instead.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Powershift can just walk around a warehouse being a human forklift. I've never met him but I've heard he's built like a mack and hung like Shaq. No homo.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I saw a ad the other day calling for Russians, Serbs and Uricks? 6000 to 7000 miles a week, paper logs.

gently caress this job.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InterceptorV8 posted:

I saw a ad the other day calling for Russians, Serbs and Uricks? 6000 to 7000 miles a week, paper logs.

gently caress this job.

Single crewed or double teaming?

What are the driving hour restrictions there?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Mooseykins posted:

Single crewed or double teaming?

What are the driving hour restrictions there?

70 interstate.

You ain't gonna average 93mph for 70 hours. Ad today for another company is 5000 miles. Gonna be hard to average 71 mph for 70 hours unless you got a sweet route.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

And from the brokering/planning side of things when we are figuring out ETAs we plan on 55mph being a solid conservative estimate. If E-Logs ever actually become 100% mandatory and assuming there isn't a way to fudge them it will become more expensive to move freight because more drivers will have to be hired to meet the expected volume while following HOS rules.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Totally TWISTED posted:

And from the brokering/planning side of things when we are figuring out ETAs we plan on 55mph being a solid conservative estimate. If E-Logs ever actually become 100% mandatory and assuming there isn't a way to fudge them it will become more expensive to move freight because more drivers will have to be hired to meet the expected volume while following HOS rules.

ROBO-TRUX.

With all the problems on this planet, not sure I would be dumping R&D into robotrucks before say, cure for cancer or self unclogging toilet, but that's me.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

InterceptorV8 posted:

ROBO-TRUX.

With all the problems on this planet, not sure I would be dumping R&D into robotrucks before say, cure for cancer or self unclogging toilet, but that's me.

If you put a self-unclogging toilet as the driver seat on a truck you would create a robotruck.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

InterceptorV8 posted:

ROBO-TRUX.

Technological advancement is not fungible! :mad:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

ROBO-TRUX.

The Koreans have this poo poo on lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw9abgNDF4Q

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Technological advancement is not fungible! :mad:

Germans lose to USA in WWII

Germans find out the USA is a nation of truck drivers

Germans create robotrux

:911:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InterceptorV8 posted:

70 interstate.

You ain't gonna average 93mph for 70 hours. Ad today for another company is 5000 miles. Gonna be hard to average 71 mph for 70 hours unless you got a sweet route.

70 hours a week? Is that the limit of driving hours?

That average if fine if you never stop, what about loading time and poo poo? Would be impressive to do though.

OR..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5qMbk5mL24

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mooseykins posted:

70 hours a week? Is that the limit of driving hours?

That average if fine if you never stop, what about loading time and poo poo? Would be impressive to do though.

OR..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5qMbk5mL24

Loading, hooking and unhooking, pre-trip inspections, fueling, and paperwork poo poo all count against the 70 hour rule.

That said, with teams 5000 miles is easy if there's not a lot of downtime waiting for that next load.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

That said, with teams 5000 miles is easy if there's not a lot of downtime waiting for that next load.

This poo poo was for SOLOS.

Whoever runs these ads need to be locked up.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

This poo poo was for SOLOS.

Whoever runs these ads need to be locked up.

Yeah there is no state they could legally run that hard solo. That's the kinda mileage people could get away with in the cowboy days doped out of their minds going coast to coast without stopping.

My company just raised the top end of the pay scale to 70 cpm. I cant get a real answer from anyone on the details of it as corporate was supposed to send out a memo with the details but it never happend. So today when our checks deposit I may or may not have a modest increase in pay.

Knowing my company though? We will have to work for another 15 loving years to hit the cap.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

But now they can say you can make up to 70cpm on their ads.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
My company told us back in March that we have been doing really well despite the economy still being in the shitter and we would be getting 30% per load by the end of April instead of 24%. I have received no bump in pay yet. :emo:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Does anyone have the link for the previous incarnation of this thread?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Javid posted:

Does anyone have the link for the previous incarnation of this thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3089075

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

tater_salad posted:

But now they can say you can make up to 70cpm on their ads.

Like that one base-model car who's sale was pre-arranged so it left the lot the morning the ad was published to skirt the "must actually have the advertised car for sale at the advertised price laws?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CannonFodder posted:

Loading, hooking and unhooking, pre-trip inspections, fueling, and paperwork poo poo all count against the 70 hour rule.

Interesting, more than we get. (90h over two weeks, some weird poo poo that limits to 8-9h/day and stuff.) But since our trucks use digital tachos it's much harder to cheat the system. With paper log books it's easier to "delete" driving time and gain hours.

If i get a trailer for my van i need a trailer licence, tacho, driver's card, operator's licence (a tax, basically.) and i have to sent my driving info from the card to VOSA (wankers) to record my hours.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

warcake posted:

Dayuum the new Actros SLT is sexy

Spotted in the wild on the A12 the other day.

Couldn't get a better pic as i was driving the van. This thing is a beast.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
02:00 - Back in town, go to fuel up at the cardlock before parking the tractor at peterbilt to get the A/C fixed.

Nozzle won't spit out fuel... All the sudden the swivel coupler falls apart, pouring half a litre of diesel down my pants and filling a shoe. And I left all my clothes in my Jeep back at the yard.

Looked like someone broke the coupling by driving away, then carefully put it back together so nobody would notice...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Really shouldn't have left those clothes in your jeep. you're going to be smelling it in there forever.

Should have thrown them straight in the garbage and moved on. If you were wearing coveralls, blast them in the car wash with full soap, and then full rinse, then air them out for a few months. If you try to wash them, everything that comes out of your washing machine for the next week will have a faint smell of diesel.

Also, loving loggers, am i right?

edit: i see what you're saying, still, burn them clothes. That sucks. i had to drive accross GP soaked in kerosene to get a shower, realized i left my fuel card in my coveralls back at the yard, so couldn't even use the UFA shower, and didn't feel like driving back across town so just stopped and grabbed a hotel room. scrubbed for a good half hour, got dressed, went and finished the day, got back to the hotel and soaked in the tub, and you could still see a sheen of oil on top of the water.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Really shouldn't have left those clothes in your jeep. you're going to be smelling it in there forever.

Should have thrown them straight in the garbage and moved on. If you were wearing coveralls, blast them in the car wash with full soap, and then full rinse, then air them out for a few months. If you try to wash them, everything that comes out of your washing machine for the next week will have a faint smell of diesel.

Also, loving loggers, am i right?

edit: i see what you're saying, still, burn them clothes. That sucks. i had to drive accross GP soaked in kerosene to get a shower, realized i left my fuel card in my coveralls back at the yard, so couldn't even use the UFA shower, and didn't feel like driving back across town so just stopped and grabbed a hotel room. scrubbed for a good half hour, got dressed, went and finished the day, got back to the hotel and soaked in the tub, and you could still see a sheen of oil on top of the water.

I tossed the clothes and shoes into my washing machine... Was that a bad idea ?

Oh the kicker, this was our yard cardlock too, so it was one of us who did it.

• Locked thread