Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Constellation I posted:

Anyone know how reliable Schiit is with their shipping times and order processing in general?

I'm going to the US for a business trip for a period of about 2 weeks and I wanna pick up the Schiit stack and get them shipped to the hotel. It'll save me a bunch of money from shipping charges + brokerage in getting them shipped to Canada. I email'd them regardless, but just wanted to know actual end-user experiences.

IIRC, you are forced to pay for priority shipping (which is good) so you should expect your stuff within 3-5 business days of shipment. Mine came very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Midorka posted:

So uh, where are you storing them?

When not in use in roll them up (as in loop around my hand) and keep them in a drawer. When I'm using them and need to put them away they get rolled into a pocket, though not for long periods. I know trouser pockets are probably causing a lot more wear on the wires, like I said it's only a problem that's started since I moved to a tropical country and now no longer ever wear jackets.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

MrNemo posted:

When not in use in roll them up (as in loop around my hand) and keep them in a drawer. When I'm using them and need to put them away they get rolled into a pocket, though not for long periods. I know trouser pockets are probably causing a lot more wear on the wires, like I said it's only a problem that's started since I moved to a tropical country and now no longer ever wear jackets.

Well then stop rolling them up and putting them in your pants and get a case, even if it's an Altoids tin or a dollar store cigarette case. "Take care of your poo poo and it will last longer" isn't that tough of a concept.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
My searches haven't really turned up a whole lot, but my JVC-HARX900's are really showing their age (like falling apart from years of use), and my needs have changed.

I do a lot of VO work now, and I listen to a lot of genres of music, watch a lot of blu-rays etc.

I'm looking for high-end closed headphones, I want maximum isolation. I haven't really seen many out there. Price isn't an issue at this time, I just want to know what kind of things are out there, if any. It seems like all the best headphones are open, is there a reason for this?

Thanks for any future help.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I tried the Bose on-ear Bluetooth headphones in a store and I liked them but they're a bit pricey. Is there anything similar but less expensive that's reasonably good?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I tried the Bose on-ear Bluetooth headphones in a store and I liked them but they're a bit pricey. Is there anything similar but less expensive that's reasonably good?

Do you really need Bluetooth?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

Do you really need Bluetooth?

Well who "needs" anything? But I have headphones that aren't Bluetooth already and they're fine except I'm annoyed by the wires.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Cubemario posted:

My searches haven't really turned up a whole lot, but my JVC-HARX900's are really showing their age (like falling apart from years of use), and my needs have changed.

I do a lot of VO work now, and I listen to a lot of genres of music, watch a lot of blu-rays etc.

I'm looking for high-end closed headphones, I want maximum isolation. I haven't really seen many out there. Price isn't an issue at this time, I just want to know what kind of things are out there, if any. It seems like all the best headphones are open, is there a reason for this?

Thanks for any future help.

I believe that closed headphones are harder to engineer, because of the extra resonance caused by the back plate.
this:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed
is a list that I like a lot. Tyll is a pretty well respected headphone reviewer.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

absolem posted:

I believe that closed headphones are harder to engineer, because of the extra resonance caused by the back plate.
this:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed
is a list that I like a lot. Tyll is a pretty well respected headphone reviewer.

With Tyll, as well as any other reviewer, you need to understand their sonic preferences. Tyll doesn't like bright leaning headphones at all and prefers a warmer tonality, so if he likes something but you don't like warm headphones you may not agree with his reviews, but he's consistent so you have a base to go from.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

With Tyll, as well as any other reviewer, you need to understand their sonic preferences. Tyll doesn't like bright leaning headphones at all and prefers a warmer tonality, so if he likes something but you don't like warm headphones you may not agree with his reviews, but he's consistent so you have a base to go from.

I can't wait until Tyll posts nothing but measurement graphs and performance charts from his mystical review machine. He just wants to measure things.

Maybe one day someone will design the perfect headphone that reproduces sound perfectly, and this madness will be done.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Ultimate Mango posted:

I can't wait until Tyll posts nothing but measurement graphs and performance charts from his mystical review machine. He just wants to measure things.

Maybe one day someone will design the perfect headphone that reproduces sound perfectly, and this madness will be done.

Midorka makes a good point about the need to understand reviewer biases. I think Tyll has been pretty clear about his commitment to subjective analysis though,which I consider important based on the difficulty of translating the measurements into preference values. It's also pretty likely that not everyone would like said hypothetical "perfect" headphone without some adjustment

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

absolem posted:

Midorka makes a good point about the need to understand reviewer biases. I think Tyll has been pretty clear about his commitment to subjective analysis though,which I consider important based on the difficulty of translating the measurements into preference values. It's also pretty likely that not everyone would like said hypothetical "perfect" headphone without some adjustment

True, but if you could somehow design a headphone with a perfectly linear response curve, no resonance frequencies, and uniform impedance, you could then correct for any possible preferences in software.

Of course, all of that is impossible.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Honestly graphs can be just as misleading as reviews. I take them with a grain of salt anymore except when looking at impulse response.

As for the perfect headphone, there's the HD600, the most natural headphone I've ever heard. I don't know why Sennheiser didn't just make the HD800 a better version, they went with a diffuse field measurement instead and honestly I think the HD600 sounds the most realistic to my experiences with playing/listening to live music.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Midorka posted:

Honestly graphs can be just as misleading as reviews. I take them with a grain of salt anymore except when looking at impulse response.

As for the perfect headphone, there's the HD600, the most natural headphone I've ever heard. I don't know why Sennheiser didn't just make the HD800 a better version, they went with a diffuse field measurement instead and honestly I think the HD600 sounds the most realistic to my experiences with playing/listening to live music.

I may have asked you this before, but have you heard the fidelio x2? I still haven't but really want to

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

absolem posted:

I may have asked you this before, but have you heard the fidelio x2? I still haven't but really want to

I heard them at a meet recently and I really can't think of a reason to buy them over an hd600 or k7xx. I felt both had better overall bass impact and presence. The x2 aren't bad headphones but for $300 I wouldn't consider them. I would like to fully evaluate them under review conditions, but they didn't impress me at the meet.

They have a mid bass hump that gives them perceived bass response, but it didn't carry much weight and it rolled off pretty steeply in comparison. I don't remember the rest of the sound but I remember that it didn't overly impress me.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks for the pointing me in the direction of some good closed headphones. What I'll likely do is buy the HD 280s again, until I can afford more expensive ones. The 280s have outstanding isolation. Additionally, they sound good for their cost, they were my previous pair before the HARX900's.

The Shure SRH1540's sound like the choice for me, but they also have a $70 markup here in Canada, making them a steep purchase, but thankfully they're sold through amazon so I don't have to deal with some third party garbage.

These seem like the best fit because they provide a lot of ear room, are extremely long lasting, ultra comfy, and don't have many moving parts. These HARX900's have been pretty painful for my VO work because they have moving plastic bits which will sometimes make sound, and the mic will pick them up in the recordings, and are uncomfortable during my hours spent working.

Supposedly the SRH1540 is a seriously high quality pair, especially among closed headphones. Has anyone used them in the thread who may give an opinion? I'm also wondering what kind of audio quality I can even expect out of closed headphones, compared to opened. My brother has a pair of Sennheiser HD595's which I've been using more often in place of my continually wearing out HARX900's. What can I expect in sound quality compared to the HD595's?

This has most likely been asked before, but for those with a trained ear, do those really expensive ones like the HD800's, really make a night and day difference compared to the price tier below them?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Cubemario posted:

This has most likely been asked before, but for those with a trained ear, do those really expensive ones like the HD800's, really make a night and day difference compared to the price tier below them?

As I'm wearing the HD800, I don't really like them. They present music extremely well, but it's not fun to listen to, in all honesty. I'd take the HD600 over these and pocket the rest of the cash myself.

On another note, still selling my Oppo HA-1.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 15, 2015

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Cubemario posted:

Supposedly the SRH1540 is a seriously high quality pair, especially among closed headphones. Has anyone used them in the thread who may give an opinion? I'm also wondering what kind of audio quality I can even expect out of closed headphones, compared to opened. My brother has a pair of Sennheiser HD595's which I've been using more often in place of my continually wearing out HARX900's. What can I expect in sound quality compared to the HD595's?

Haven't heard them, but from what I've read, the srh1540 compares well to open headphones in its price range. I wouldn't worry too much about the difference since you need closed. Practically speaking it ends up being a small price premium (except at the extreme high end).

I think the difference between an hd800 tier headphone and the next step down is a matter of attitude. The sonic difference would be pretty small, so for someone doing work on the headphone that required accuracy but not microscopic precision the improvement may not be means girl or worth the money. However, for someone looking for the very best out of their recordings, it could easily be worth the price to reveal one more missed detail or to jive perfectly with their taste. The Sony mdr 7506 were/are an widely used headphone in sound engineering, as they are pretty accurate for the price, even if they aren't necessarily a good listen. Better headphones may have improved the recordings, but to what degree? The 1504 is targeted at professional use too

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
So it looks like the only options for on-ear Bluetooth headphones are the Bose Soundlink or Sennheiser MM 400-X. It seems like the Bose are much better, like, to the extent the $100 price different is justified. Is that right?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Since they're bose, I doubt they're better. I'm fairly certain they make nothing but overpriced and garbage products.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
No highs, no lows, must be Bose :laugh:

Been hearing (har har) this since the eighties.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Buy
Other
Stereo
Equipment

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Well, OK, but everything I've read says the Bose sound great (and having tried them I like them) while everyone is lukewarm about the sound and comfort level of the Sennheisers ("flat," "no bass," etc.). I guess there is also the Creative WP-350 which are not, I don't think, as good as either, but hey, they're less than a hundred bucks. Have any of you guys listened to any of the headphones in question? I've only heard the Bose ones and it's kind of hard to go from text reviews and think "oh that sounds like I would like it" or not.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
A lot of people hate Bose cause they are over priced. I agree with that. That being said I just did a few weeks living on a boat below the flight deck during 24 hour flights. I didn't hear a thing. Sucks I spent a lot on them but they do their job really well.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I would avoid bluetooth headphones to be honest. They are convenient but they have a mess of issues

As for BOSE, the QC25 are pretty well regarded if you need active noise cancellation.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Midorka posted:

I would avoid bluetooth headphones to be honest. They are convenient but they have a mess of issues

What are those issues? It's really hard for me to think they'd outweigh not having a wire for me.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

What are those issues? It's really hard for me to think they'd outweigh not having a wire for me.

Interference and having to manage a battery for two things.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Midorka posted:

Interference and having to manage a battery for two things.

Whatever man. It sounds fine in my car.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Budget - $1-200 for headphones + $?? for amp if needed
Source - Desktop PC, droid maxx phone, nexus 7 tablet, radio station mixing board
Isolation Requirements - Sure, but I don't need anything extreme. I think closed would be a good.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Good bass without being overbearingly bassy, subdued highs
Past Headphones - Just random crap, really
Preferred Music - Spaced-out ambient noise, punk/post-punk, metal, electronic, blues, old country

I got a show on a college radio station. I need to get a set of headphones to use for queuing. I would also use them at work. I would be willing to increase the budget for a DAC/amp if you guys think I should.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I'm looking for an affordable set of headphones for gaming in surround sound. Also, rather than having a mic, I'd rather put the bang in my buck towards being able to hear where footsteps are. (I can always add a mic later)

Budget - $60-100
Source - PS4, PC, and Macbook
Isolation Requirements - Only as far as surround sound would need?
Preferred Type of Headphone - Again whatever is best to hear death coming from behind
Preferred Tonal Balance - ""
Past Headphones - This isn't highly relevant because I used them for music, but I had a pair of Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10s and they were really great until they bit the dust.
Preferred Music - Blood spattering, screams of my enemies, etc. Spaceflight sims, First person shooters

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.
Hey, gadget goons. What are your suggestions for a comfortable noise-isolating gaming headset for PC? I have a pair of turtle beaches, but they get really uncomfortable after about 30 minutes, and they don't isolate for poo poo. TIA

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

yellowjournalism posted:

I'm looking for an affordable set of headphones for gaming in surround sound. Also, rather than having a mic, I'd rather put the bang in my buck towards being able to hear where footsteps are. (I can always add a mic later)

Budget - $60-100
Source - PS4, PC, and Macbook
Isolation Requirements - Only as far as surround sound would need?
Preferred Type of Headphone - Again whatever is best to hear death coming from behind
Preferred Tonal Balance - ""
Past Headphones - This isn't highly relevant because I used them for music, but I had a pair of Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10s and they were really great until they bit the dust.
Preferred Music - Blood spattering, screams of my enemies, etc. Spaceflight sims, First person shooters

Surround headphones don't really work like they're supposed to, due to how ears work. You can get the same effect using virtual surround. But to be honest, I don't find surround with headphones really works at all.

DenizenKane posted:

Hey, gadget goons. What are your suggestions for a comfortable noise-isolating gaming headset for PC? I have a pair of turtle beaches, but they get really uncomfortable after about 30 minutes, and they don't isolate for poo poo. TIA

Headsets are generally not good, and have a tendency of being very poorly designed. My advice would be get a headphone and microphone separate.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Cubemario posted:

Surround headphones don't really work like they're supposed to, due to how ears work. You can get the same effect using virtual surround. But to be honest, I don't find surround with headphones really works at all.

Make sense. Any idea how I should look for headphones that are good for "gaming quality" but not wasted money on marketing/mics/gamery crap? Or could you describe what would be ideal for gaming re: the guide in the OP (e.g. do I want a "v-shaped" sound, more mids, a bright or neutral sound, that kind of thing)? I understand this isn't exactly the thread for this but I don't know where to ask.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Headphone virtualisation is actually pretty interesting. Don't feel the need to buy a headphone with multiple drivers for each ear, it's all down to binaural signal processing. Unfortunately I can't make any consumer recommendations.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah, I should actually rephrase what I said about surround in headphones. It's been proven to be outstandingly good, if the audio is just simply engineered that way, but I've only ever heard it for demonstrative purposes, never in practical use. But my experience with virtual surround has been poor, mostly because it seems to always sacrifice the entire quality of the audio, and it can get easily confused when dealing with something like a film. But perhaps it does better in gaming.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There are some games with very good sound localization. That used to be one of the things Soundblaster and co. were pushing for before the sound card market quietly died. With the Oculus Rift pushing hard for 3D audio, I imagine it will become a thing again.

Right now, if your game supports 7.1, Dolby Headphone can do some pretty cool things with it.
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-headphone.html

You don't need special headphones to use it, so just get whatever fits in your budget that you like. I have the Sennheiser HD598's, and I'm very happy with them for gaming.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...ennheiser+hd598

The HD558's are extremely similar and closer to your budget:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

taqueso posted:

Budget - $1-200 for headphones + $?? for amp if needed
Source - Desktop PC, droid maxx phone, nexus 7 tablet, radio station mixing board
Isolation Requirements - Sure, but I don't need anything extreme. I think closed would be a good.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Good bass without being overbearingly bassy, subdued highs
Past Headphones - Just random crap, really
Preferred Music - Spaced-out ambient noise, punk/post-punk, metal, electronic, blues, old country

I got a show on a college radio station. I need to get a set of headphones to use for queuing. I would also use them at work. I would be willing to increase the budget for a DAC/amp if you guys think I should.

I am considering the Beyerdynamic COP, probably the non-plus version. Thoughts? Is the adjustable bass port a gimmick?

What is going on at 10k?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 19, 2015

clay_
Apr 2, 2013

KillHour posted:

There are some games with very good sound localization. That used to be one of the things Soundblaster and co. were pushing for before the sound card market quietly died. With the Oculus Rift pushing hard for 3D audio, I imagine it will become a thing again.

Right now, if your game supports 7.1, Dolby Headphone can do some pretty cool things with it.
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-headphone.html

You don't need special headphones to use it, so just get whatever fits in your budget that you like. I have the Sennheiser HD598's, and I'm very happy with them for gaming.

The HD558's are extremely similar and closer to your budget:

I use the HD555's with a Xonar Essence STX card and the headphones coupled with Dolby Headphone are awesome. The surround virtualization is almost perfect. It's certainly a lot better than it was on the 7.1 headsets I've tried.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Cubemario posted:

Yes, absolutely. I owned Denon D7000s for a while and, sweet jesus were they amazing. If they weren't a bit sibilant they'd be just about perfect. Traded them for speakers. Kind of regret that.

I haven't tried the Audezes but they are supposed to be a step above the D7Ks, even, which is hard to imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
From what I gather, it seems to depend on if a person finds it more entertaining to have a stronger soundstage, or to have the most accurate sound. I'm not sure which I prefer, since I haven't had a chance to try out both.

But since I need closed for work, that's what I'll go with, and I'm sure I'll be very happy with those Shure's once I can afford them.

Edit: Also getting the HD 280s again as a budget solution until I can go for the Shure's, will be very nice. These are very good headphones and I used them for about 8 years, they're a great bang for your buck and last a very long time. These also work extremely well for any recording, as they isolate extremely well, and have a coiled cable which is ideal for recording, as it doesn't get in the way.

Cubemario fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 20, 2015